Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Car wont idle when fans turn on Sat, 26 February 2005 08:22 Go to next message
Hey guys, just a quickie.

My car runs fine, untill it gets up to operating temp on reasonably hot days, and idles at around 900rpm. If i then turn on the in cabin fan to full, the idle will drop to 400rpm! if i turn the lights on as well, the car will conk out. After which i start it, no fan, no lights, it wont idle untill i drive for like 1min at 60 then start to idle again. Should i be looking at the battery or alternator. The battery is of suspect quality, and when i bought the car it was rather low/dry.
  Send a private message to this user    
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Car wont idle when fans turn on Sat, 26 February 2005 17:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its most likely your alternator... test the voltage while driving... 13.5V - 13.8 is what you will usually get out of a good alternator.
Less than 13 and its shagged... more than 14 volts and you might want to take a look at your regulator.
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: Car wont idle when fans turn on Sat, 26 February 2005 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yup almost certainly alternator. sounds like your just not getting enough juice. if you alternator is on the blink there is a good chance your battery isnt far from giving up the ghost too,
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: Car wont idle when fans turn on Sun, 27 February 2005 00:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmn, looks like i will have to get a multimeter Neutral
Bert
Regular

May 2003
Re: Car wont idle when fans turn on Sun, 27 February 2005 04:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if the voltage is low, or not charging at all, id suggest checking the voltage regulator. pretty easy to get out of the alternator, could be that the brushes are worn away.

if you check the voltage across the positive and negative terminals of the battery with the engine running, it should be bout 13.5-14v. if its only 12v, then there is no charge going into the battery.
now...you can tap the alternator to try an free the brushes, if the voltage jumps up, it means the reg is no good and the brushes are gone. will need replacing.

i know this cause i had to go through it the other week on my daily driver (bluebird). i put another reg in it and it was sweet as. also the battery can be dead and not holding charge. maybe you should start with that.
time2play
Forums Junkie

On Probation

February 2005
Re: Car wont idle when fans turn on Sun, 27 February 2005 05:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the exact same thing happened to my tx3, replace it with a 80amp alternator

now it works a1.
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: Car wont idle when fans turn on Sun, 27 February 2005 06:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i checked the voltage with a multimeter and it reads constant 14.3 volts at idle. Is that bad?
Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: Car wont idle when fans turn on Sun, 27 February 2005 07:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
14.3v is too high. your voltage regulator sounds like its stuffed.
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Car wont idle when fans turn on Sun, 27 February 2005 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yer its rooted replace the regulator or get another alternator
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Car wont idle when fans turn on Sun, 27 February 2005 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
14.3V is a bit high... turn on all the accessories you can without the car stalling (park lights, stereo etc.) and see how low the voltage drops... if it drops down to below 13V its shagged.

If its shagged go grab yourself a nice shiney new bosch alternator for your car.
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: Car wont idle when fans turn on Sun, 27 February 2005 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
when i turned the fans on it didnt drop jack all, maybe .02 of a volt. But the idle still dropped right down to 400rpm...
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Car wont idle when fans turn on Sun, 27 February 2005 10:49 Go to previous message
Sounds like you need a new car Rolling Eyes
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ST162 1986 3sgte overheating problem and Temp gauge goes to hot in 2 mins. plz help
Next Topic:hey guys just after some bolting torques
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 13 04:28:57 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0046980381011963 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.