Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Problems with my auto transmission

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
hijakdpolice
Occasional Poster

January 2005
Problems with my auto transmission Sun, 27 February 2005 08:31 Go to next message
My auto trans (A540E) has weird issues! While driving (doesnt matter if O/D is on or off) it'll appear to go just drop out of gear and into neutral. However, it's not, because, while im coasting (thru a friggn tunnel with no service lane!!!) i'd push the accell pedal down and the revs come up to about 5-6 and it would feel, although very slightly, that it starts to pull, very jerk tho, as the revs still climb and i have to back off (at 7.5k rpm ) Anyways, the only thing i could do is keep doing this to get thru the tunnel and then pull over. Pull over, stopped the motor..waited about 1 minute, then started again..all is fine. Has happened a few times now. Also, when it happens, shifting the lever to 2nd or 1st or even N (i didnt try R or P!!) doesnt do anything. And also, the little display on the dash showing the selected gear goes all funny. Like really dim. It shows R (very dimmly) when in N and 1 2 D you can hardly see. When i pull over, i put it into P, and the P light was dim. When i started the car again..all was fine with the display! What the hell could be wrong!!!??

Thanks.
  Send a private message to this user    
Meat_rack
Regular

December 2004
Re: Problems with my auto transmission Sun, 27 February 2005 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
IT appears that you could have a pressure issue weather it be in the pump etc. How long since its last service? I wouid reckon that it will be an expensive fix as i think it cost about 220 to remove and fit a new box.

BTW i have heard of this problem and it was a blown converter.

CHEERS.
hijakdpolice
Occasional Poster

January 2005
Re: Problems with my auto transmission Sun, 27 February 2005 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's been about 12-14 months since the last flush and service.
It would appear to me like its an electrical problem, seeing as tho, when i switch the car off then on again..all is well. Weird!
Any ideas?
Meat_rack
Regular

December 2004
Re: Problems with my auto transmission Sun, 27 February 2005 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have you had any electrical work dont to the car eg a sub put in or maybe an thermo fam replaced??
hijakdpolice
Occasional Poster

January 2005
Re: Problems with my auto transmission Sun, 27 February 2005 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No.
Meat_rack
Regular

December 2004
Re: Problems with my auto transmission Mon, 28 February 2005 07:05 Go to previous message
after serious thought and speaking to some people i believe that the filter in the box is probable picking up all the fine bits of metal and sucking them up into causing loss of pressure to the clutch drums and band causing it to just jump into neutral. When you leave it for a minute thats the crap sinking to the bottom of the pan, therefore stopping the problem. This slipping is the porblem causing the crap in the bottom of the pan as all the friction and steels are grindong together and putting fine metal bits in the pan and just making it slip like buggery. My suggestion get it serviced and you will se alot of metal in the pan.

Let us know how you go.....
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:2TG Increased displacement ????
Next Topic:3SGTE Turbo Compatability??
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 18 15:34:58 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0039980411529541 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.