Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
imprsv
Occasional Poster

February 2005
4AGZE Conversion Sun, 27 February 2005 11:58 Go to next message
Hey guys, just wondering how much a 4AGZE would be to convert into an Sprinter(86)? Also, how much would i be looking at in buying the engine and all the necessary parts to get it running. Then how much power difference would i be looking at?

The only reason i am asking this as i may be given a Toyota Sprinter for free and im looking at ditching the old engine and putting one in. I've got around $6000 to play with and just looking at my options, you're comments would be much appreciated + advice.

Thanks in advance

- Trent
  Send a private message to this user    
WiLo
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: 4AGZE Conversion Sun, 27 February 2005 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
before norbie gets here

SEARCH
imprsv
Occasional Poster

February 2005
Re: 4AGZE Conversion Sun, 27 February 2005 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bah, was only asking.. people these days cant answer the same "similar" question twice.. By the way i cant find anything somewhat relevant to what im asking, so can u please refrain from posting unless you have something relevant to add to the topic..

Thanks,

[Updated on: Sun, 27 February 2005 12:14]

Nolan
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: 4AGZE Conversion Sun, 27 February 2005 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
imprsv wrote on Sun, 27 February 2005 23:08

Bah, was only asking.. people these days cant answer the same "similar" question twice.. By the way i cant find anything somewhat relevant to what im asking, so can u please refrain from posting unless you have something relevant to add to the topic..

Thanks,

w3rd!

lol u cant ask a question about a conversion without some1 jumping down ur throat cause u didnt search Razz

ull get used to it dude, are u planning on doing the whole conversion yourself?

NOLAN
imprsv
Occasional Poster

February 2005
Re: 4AGZE Conversion Sun, 27 February 2005 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My old man is a mechanic so he probably will be either helping me put it in or ill get someone to do it. Was just looking for others previous experiences with putting them in and the prices etc so i sort of know where i am headed! Also would i need a Engineers Certificate putting in a 4AGZE in?

Hopefully someone can help me Smile

- Trent
boudan
Regular

June 2003
Re: 4AGZE Conversion Sun, 27 February 2005 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

IMHO - 6000 will get you everything you need to prepare for the conversion if your going to do it properly..

Brakes 1000
Suspension 2000
LSD rear end 1000
W5* Gearbox + bellhousing 1000
Wheels 750
Tyres 500
General interior update 250

theres your 6000 roughly..

add halfcut @ 3000 and 1000 for exhaust, IC pipes, wiring, fluids..

10k to do it properly...

Of course you could just buy half cut @ 3000 and insert for 1000.. still have 2 grand left over... but... thats not me...

imprsv
Occasional Poster

February 2005
Re: 4AGZE Conversion Sun, 27 February 2005 22:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats one hell of a way to spend 10k, i was planning hopefully to do it peice by peice. But thanks for putting down numeric figures for me to look at as a basis before starting..
inertia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4AGZE Conversion Sun, 27 February 2005 23:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tech section of this website is a good start.
imprsv
Occasional Poster

February 2005
Re: 4AGZE Conversion Mon, 28 February 2005 02:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am in the tech section aint i?
inertia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4AGZE Conversion Mon, 28 February 2005 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.toymods.org.au/tech.html
d-shiznit
Regular

May 2004
Re: 4AGZE Conversion Mon, 28 February 2005 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey!
I'm in the middle of this conversion.. but turning into a 4agte.
Heres what my parts cost:

Halfcut $2400

Thats all you need really, along with an upgraded fuel system!

I decided to upgrade the driveline though, which is pretty expensive but necessary if you want to thrash around on high boost withought worrying...

Crown diff $440 (Has 5 stud disc brakes and can get lsd!)
W57 $120
Bellhousing $380
Get old diff mounts put on new diff $300
Customn Tailshaft $200

If you want to do it properly definately upgrade the brakes + suspension as well.

Good luck with the project!

With power... In turbo form expect 200 - 250 rwhp

[Updated on: Mon, 28 February 2005 07:34]

Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: 4AGZE Conversion Mon, 28 February 2005 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Google it, there are a couple of very good sites that step through the process. Plus there's plenty of good stuff on here.

Basically the four major things you need to do are:
- modify the coolant pipes along the driver's side of the engine so they don't point straight at the firewall
- grind a corner off the lower SC mount so the engine mount can bolt on
- relocate the coil packs from the back of the head
- Turn the intake pipe through 180deg so it points forward
- and maybe a fifth, relocate the alternator so it clears your swaybar.

If you did it mega dodgy and cheap you could just get engine, loom and computer, plumb an EFI pump into your stock fuel pickup, relocate or ditch your intercooler, wire it up and drive away. However all the suggestions above are smart if you value your safety.

Hen
imprsv
Occasional Poster

February 2005
Re: 4AGZE Conversion Mon, 28 February 2005 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
in reply to inertia: Yes i looked there but the 4AGZE conversion page is down for some reason. Thanks for the link but its not much help.

d-shiznit: you have a pm Smile thanks again for you're helpful advice

Henn: Thanks for the information and ill take it on board when deciding wheather i should do the conversion or not..

Anymore information would be great

Thanks again.
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: 4AGZE Conversion Mon, 28 February 2005 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
d-shiznit wrote on Mon, 28 February 2005 18:29

With power... In turbo form expect 200 - 250 rwhp

And the rest Very Happy
inertia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4AGZE Conversion Mon, 28 February 2005 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
imprsv wrote on Mon, 28 February 2005 20:43

in reply to inertia: Yes i looked there but the 4AGZE conversion page is down for some reason. Thanks for the link but its not much help.

d-shiznit: you have a pm Smile thanks again for you're helpful advice

Henn: Thanks for the information and ill take it on board when deciding wheather i should do the conversion or not..

Anymore information would be great

Thanks again.

Yeah it is unfortunately, I just checked Sad.

The other one on howto convert 4agze to RWD is still there thankfully.

http://www.geocities.com/anthonypedwell/Install.ht ml

sonwill
Regular

February 2005
Re: 4AGZE Conversion Mon, 28 February 2005 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Try http://www.adelaidejap.com.au/ they aren't to bad and they ship everwhere. or http://www.japparts.com.au/products/stock-arriving .html their prices aren't to bad either.
drift86levin
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: 4AGZE Conversion Tue, 01 March 2005 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mine cost me $5500 or so..done it all myself..$2300 for an 80 thou k AE92 Map sensor halfcut..$1200 was for a custom front mount too...parted with my old 4AGE to MR Kellam for the wiring as a trade Smile and i was laughing with 105rwkw and a fat monstorous (in comparison) torque band..gave me 13.9 400m times too..stock..no high boost pulley or anything..4 puck clutch..

took a whole of about 27hrs to do (spread over 3 days)..weekend drive in and drive out..done it nearly a year ago and i'm still having fun! Laughing

i have heaps of pics and a full write up..i'll post the write up tomorow at work (saved on work PC) and post a link to the pics..
imprsv
Occasional Poster

February 2005
Re: 4AGZE Conversion Tue, 01 March 2005 21:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Awesome! Thanks very much Very Happy
drift86levin
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: 4AGZE Conversion Wed, 02 March 2005 04:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

AE92 4AGZE Transplant into JDM AE86 Coupe

Parts Required:
If your sprinter had a 4AGE in it already factory or transplant half the stuff is there I will put an * next to the stuff that you would already have in your car, and you must re-use.
- 4AGZE front cut (mine was AE92 map version 165hp)
- * 8 bolt flywheel off 100kw/small port 4AGE and at the very least a heavy duty clutch, the ze produces nearly 40% more torque than the GE and carries it from idel to about 5000, then you get the 170 odd hp!
- * RWD 4AGE bell housing (as the starter and the slave cylinder are on opposing sides
- possibly need to change you clutch master cylinder, my old one shit itself with the new clutch
- * EFI fuel pump (most common bosch VL turbo pump) with fittings and hose
- * exhaust manifold from RWD 4AGE or extractors
- a wiring guy (I didn’t attempt to connect the 10 kgs!! Of wire I pulled out of the front cut)
- piping for your front mount (do not put the stock one under the bonnet just as much stuffing around as a front mount, and half as effective)
- alternator bracket off a 4A-FE as the alternator needs to be in the same place as on the 4AFE
- some 2” radiator hose, heater hose, and hose clamps , I got away with using most of my old stuff.

There are more parts, but you’ll get the idea in this guide.

Ok, now, there are many guides on the net about pulling your old 4A-C out and putting a GE or ZE in. and that is like any other engine, undo some bolts rip it out.
Now put your old engine mounts (providing they are good) put them on the ZE in the same place, the exhaust side will go straight on, BUT the intake side is a little tricky. This is nowhere on the net and I had to find out the hard way! The black bracket that connects the sc to the block, remove it, it about 7 inches long, then you will notice when you go to put the engine mount on, the corner of the SC bracket (big cast bracket) needs to be ground off to put the engine mount on, and a little dowl of stainless steel. Then bolt the mount on (sounds dodgy, but it’s the only way!).

Then i took all the engine harness out, I had to do this with both cars, and gave it to my wiring guy, he cut and soldered for a couple of days, and I had my loom to plug it in and start it up!

You will notice that the intake just near the throttle body (90 deg bend) needs to be reversed, but it fouls on the body itself, so you need to make a 10mm spacer plate, same holes, and use longer bolts. The throttle cable is up to you how you set it up, I used my existing cable, and turned the link around 180 deg, made a bracket, and I was set!

Another thing to watch out for, there are 2 cooling pipes that stick out the back of the engine one large one, and a small one, and these stick out the back of the engine too far, so I simply cut them a couple of inches short, and get some radiator hose with a 120 deg (not perfect) bend in it for both of them, and ran them under the supercharger to the remote thermostat housing, and connected up the heater etc. I did not connect the cold start choke thing (the 2 little 6mm hose that run from the bottom of the throttle body) as I am in brizvagas, I didn’t really have to, it doesn’t get cold enough. Also after a while they tend to not work properly and remain shut all the time, (and it will run rich on idle even when the engine is warm) I have absolutely no problem with starting it at 5 am in the morning when there is frost on my windows.

NOTE: all the original hoses from the front cut, and the ones in my car and some straight bits (get them off a commodre vn-vy they have really long straight bits with good bends at each end) were used to make this setup, obviously it’s all been renewed, but with a bit of ingenuity you can make them all line up.

Make sure that all vacuum lines are plugged of, there are 3 main ones in particular, there are 2x 6mm (from memory) that connect to the power steering. DO NOT CONNECT THESE TOGTHER, block them off individually or it won’t idle properly, and there is one other on the pipe that runs down from the throttle, to the s/c, another 6mm hose, block off aswell.

The Alternator bracket off the 4AFE bolt on the side of the block the same way as it did in the crappy corolla you stole it off from the wreckers, all you need is to cut/make/weld an adjuster/slider bracket, doesn’t have to be the strongest thing in the world, it just needs to hold a fair bit of tension on the belt, I used some 3mm steel brackets welded together, they were some exhaust brackets I had lying around!!

Once I had the clutch on, the G/box went on, then I put a new timing belt on (always a good idea, although they are a free spinning engine), put my RWD 4AGE timing covers on (they don’t a big hole where the engine mount for the FWD) put my polished and filled down 4AGE cam covers on. And the motor and g/box was set ready to go in.

Once you get it in, and bolted up, bolt on the exhaust and then I simply connected the radiator/heater hoses, I didn’t actually mount the remote thermostat housing to anything, it just sits there with the hoses holding it in place. DO NOT USE THE CLUTCH FAN, with this water pump, it will stuff it up in a while, it’s not made for it, run the thermos, OR use a RWD 4AC/4AGE water pump assembly, you won’t need to worry about the remote thermo housing, and you can keep your clutch fan. I used my normal sprinter radiator, which was nearly perfect, just flushed it properly. I recommend if it doesn’t look good inside, just take it to a radiator place, and get them to flow test it, you might be up for a new core if its shagged, only about $50 or so. You need to ground the thermostat to the chassis just a piece of good wire will do the trick, that triggers the thermo fans. I am only running the auxiliary a/c fan, just to keep some air moving at light and such. I ran it for about a month, with no fan connected! without any overheating problems whatsoever! Weird I know, but they don’t run very hot, even with my front mount there, which would be very comfortable on a 180 or Silvia!

I was lucky also, that I didn’t need to modify my fuel system, as with anyone with a 4AGE in it already. There might be a few things I haven’t covered here, but it’s mostly a guide to fill in the blanks the others leave out. I am very happy with consistent 13.9 ¼ mile times,
From a stock 1.6!

drift86levin
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: 4AGZE Conversion Wed, 02 March 2005 04:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.cruisingbrisbane.com/forum/index.php?sh owtopic=5162

there are the pics of my conversion..hope you enjoy! Laughing
imprsv
Occasional Poster

February 2005
Re: 4AGZE Conversion Wed, 02 March 2005 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the detailed reply and its helped me very much Smile and ill keep it saved Smile Thanks very much again Smile

- Trent
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 4AGZE Conversion Wed, 02 March 2005 06:20 Go to previous message
imprsv wrote on Sun, 27 February 2005 23:31

My old man is a mechanic so he probably will be either helping me put it in or ill get someone to do it. Was just looking for others previous experiences with putting them in and the prices etc so i sort of know where i am headed! Also would i need a Engineers Certificate putting in a 4AGZE in?

Hopefully someone can help me Smile

- Trent

i dont know about victoria but in nsw you would definatley need an engineers certificate for this engine swap. I would imagine it would be a similar story if you are replacing a 4ac with a 4agze.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:T series clutch interchangability
Next Topic:7MGE misfire
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 13 21:17:37 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0082080364227295 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.