Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
valandor
Regular

December 2003

Overheating on freeway Mon, 28 February 2005 07:26 Go to next message
hey guys having a bit of trouble with the corolla at the moment.

im living in reynella and working in murray bridge. driving to work is fine. driving home on a hot day the car get bloody close to over heating if i do the speed limit of 110.

once i get ino the hills the car cools down again.

i believe this is because the road on the freeway is bloody hot and after having all day to heat up is heating up the underside of the engine (yes i have the splash gaurd in place).

just wondering if anyone else has had this problem or more importantly if anyone knows a way of resolving the problem

Cheer
Clint
  Send a private message to this user    
styler
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Overheating on freeway Mon, 28 February 2005 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4 speed or 5?
valandor
Regular

December 2003

Re: Overheating on freeway Mon, 28 February 2005 07:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4 speed
coFF33
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Overheating on freeway Mon, 28 February 2005 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i also oddly had this problem today..

ive driven over 200km's in my RA65 non-stop with 4 ppl in the car and it didnt over heat .. then all of a sudden today on the freeway .. only driving 100km (approx) the car actually got to half a MM under the red line and when i pulled over on the freeway and stopped the hose that is connected to the bottle from the top of the radiator was just spwing out boiling hot radiator fluid ...

this is really odd as the car has had no troubles with this in the 2 weeks i have had it. and ive done heaps of troublem ... im starting to worry if it has a dodgy head on it :s

anyone have any advice on coolents or things to check as i also do lots of driving like clint.

cheers

BTW: there is brand new coolent and oil in the engine/radiator done last week.
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: Overheating on freeway Mon, 28 February 2005 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if your car overheats on the freeway, it generally indicates a blocked radiator.
GOT_M.I.L.F.
Regular

December 2003
Re: Overheating on freeway Mon, 28 February 2005 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i agree older cars often r affected but crap blocking up the cores in tha radiator, if thats the problem

i suggest if u can flush ur cooling system with a high pressure hose u might be able to get rid out alot of build up and allow alot better flow.

if not take it to radiator shop and the can pull the end tank off and clean out propally for under $100.
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Overheating on freeway Mon, 28 February 2005 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
make sure you put a new thermastat and radiator cap on it.
allencr
Regular

May 2002
Re: Overheating on freeway Mon, 28 February 2005 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
look at the tops of the radiators core tubes. do they look open or clogged/mineraled up.
if you're looking at them while draining slowly, they should all go down at the same time & rate.
you'll only be able to see a dozen of'em, but the rest will be similar.
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Overheating on freeway Mon, 28 February 2005 21:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Could be a problem with your cylinder head also. I would of thought that a blocked radiator would also cause overheating in slow stop-start traffic, especially with the hot days we've had.

A long time ago my car overheated on freeway drives but was okay in city traffic. It turned out to be a problem with the head where the 3rd and 4th cylinders were open to each other 'cos a bit of the head had blown away. A head recon fixed that and she's been fine ever since.

If your viscous fan or electric fans are not running properly you will get overheating in stop-start traffic. Once you get above 80kph the fans are unnecessary and the air-flow through the radiator is sufficient to keep the temps down.

seeyuzz
river
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Overheating on freeway Mon, 28 February 2005 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overheating at high speed/continuous mid level RPM indicates:

• blocked radiator
  • busted/dodgy water pump, or water pump belt not tight enough
  • some other restriction in water flow

Thus i recommend the following.....

Get a nice twin-core radiator from an AE71 at your local self serve wreckers. These are waaay bigger than the KE70 ones and have awesome cooling (works beautifully on my turbo 4age). Take it to a radiator shop and ask to have it flow checked and cleaned out if necessary (max $100).

Get a new water pump, its worth doing anyway if yours is old. Repco should have generic replacements at no more than $60

Install the above two, and check fan belt tension.

Hopefully this has solved your problem, otherwise you have a busted/cracked head or blown head gasket. In which case its time for a new engine/reco/4age.
4a-c
Regular

April 2003
Re: Overheating on freeway Tue, 01 March 2005 00:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mine (20v ae86) used to run hot on the highway, replaced thermostat and all is good now
coFF33
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Overheating on freeway Tue, 01 March 2005 03:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well .. i was reading the thermo ... but umm pulling over and getting out and seeing the overflow pipe spewing with the green made me think it would be something other than thermostat.

im going to do another radiator flush today ... see if that will fix it ..

ill report back soon
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Overheating on freeway Tue, 01 March 2005 04:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
KE70, 110km in 4th.. isn't that around 4000+rpm?
i vote the radiator is not (for whatever reason) up to the job of cooling.

at that speed, you generate a fari bit more heat than at sayy, 100km/hr, and on a hot day, the temp differential between radiator and air decreases, reducing the driving force for temp transfer.

ie, radiator temp sayy.. 90deg
cold day = 15, temp difference is 75deg

hot day = 40 temp difference = 50.

thermostat should stay open when it's hot, so will only be a problem if it is not opening properly.

oh, and K motors just like to run hot anyway.
coFF33
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Overheating on freeway Tue, 01 March 2005 04:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well i went to supercheap and decided to get some Techaloy 90

insted of the techaloy 60 i have in it now .. it says it has a higher boiling point and is used in car that run hot. which is my celica .. so ill flush the Tech60 and put in the Tech90 and go for a big drive tonite. see how i go

[Updated on: Tue, 01 March 2005 04:17]

feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Overheating on freeway Tue, 01 March 2005 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
did you buy a new radiator cap while you were there?

[Updated on: Tue, 01 March 2005 07:36]

coFF33
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Overheating on freeway Tue, 01 March 2005 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
are you trying to say that putting Tech90 insted of 60 is as pointless as buying a new radiator cap to fix the problem ?
greenta22
Regular

July 2004
Re: Overheating on freeway Tue, 01 March 2005 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a new radiator cap will raise the boiling point by pressurising the cooling system, assuming the old one was stuffed. wont lower the temp though.
coFF33
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Overheating on freeway Wed, 02 March 2005 00:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well now with the Techaloy 90 it kept under half way the whole drive last night home from worlk .. even with me being silly and tring to slide some corners .

problem solved for the time being.
rick_o
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: Overheating on freeway Wed, 02 March 2005 02:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good to see it's fixed for the time being. Generally, if your car gets hot at speed, it's a good chance your lower radiator hose is collapsing internally..
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Overheating on freeway Wed, 02 March 2005 03:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

but umm pulling over and getting out and seeing the overflow pipe spewing with the green made me think it would be something other than thermostat.

and you dont think a new radiator cap will help this? i have seen this happen many times where the radiator cap has lost it's pressure hold capabilities and lost coolant out the overflow resulting in cooked engines.
such a cheap item to replace that may help in some of your problems.
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Overheating on freeway Wed, 02 March 2005 03:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yup. radiator caps arnt just caps.
they regulat the pressure of the coolant. changing the boiling point of the coolant.
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: Overheating on freeway Wed, 02 March 2005 05:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they have TWO valves people, pressure relief valve, and an atmospheric valve.
valandor
Regular

December 2003

Re: Overheating on freeway Wed, 02 March 2005 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well i shall try organise radiator and water pump and such. if that fails ill hae to push forward my conversion to a 4agze a bit before schedule

Cheers for the help Guys
Clint
allencr
Regular

May 2002
Re: Overheating on freeway Wed, 02 March 2005 15:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it's very unlikely that you need a waterpump.
they only cause over heating from a very loose belt & not turning enough, coolant loss/leaking, or from its impeller getting corroded away/broken, and that is just about one in a million.
otherwise the pump is fine, and changing them because of an overheating problem is is unnecessary except for peace of mind.
coFF33
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Overheating on freeway Sun, 13 March 2005 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well my RA65 is heating up again Sad

seems to do it at random times.
havent had this problem since the last incident i posted in this thread.

my dad and i decided it could be the heater small radiator between the firewall and dash .. so we disconnected the pipe that goes into the small radiator and just put it back to the main radiator so basically there is nothing flowing through the small one.

we did this incase the heater radiator was blocked .. i drove home from his (about 15 - 20kms) slight traffic/lights etc.

stayed normal (half way) most of the trip- then near home i thought i might just give it some shit to see if it will heat up- ..... it did ... raised above half way slowly and almost got to hot when i pulled in the driveway-

so now- i know its not:

1. Shitty coolent
2. Radiator cap ( yes i got another)
3. Small Heater Radiator

so basically through trial and error i has to be

1. The thermastat
2. Water pump
3. Head/engine something

im going to book into NATRAD to get the cooling system fully serviced- if the Thermastat isnt the problem.
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: Overheating on freeway Sun, 13 March 2005 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its funny how people try all the cheap options before the likely ones Smile
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: Overheating on freeway Sun, 13 March 2005 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i had a similar problem not long ago,

1 drive it was ok, next time it'd overheat, then it'd be fine for 1 week, then one day on the way to work, 3k down the road she was frying, pulled up and steam was pissing out of my exhaust, BHG and a warped $2000 head, get a system pressure test done too {i think they are free}

are u losing water
coFF33
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Overheating on freeway Sun, 13 March 2005 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
coz if it is a cheap+easy thing i *could* do it myself before i take it to someone who will make me pay hundreds for something easy Sad

but yer ... can i get a Thermostat from Coventrys or something ?

where would be the best place to get one for a Celica ?

also do any other thermo's from anyother toyotas etc fit in RA65 ?

coFF33
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Overheating on freeway Sun, 13 March 2005 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mr DOHC wrote on Sun, 13 March 2005 16:16

i had a similar problem not long ago,

1 drive it was ok, next time it'd overheat, then it'd be fine for 1 week, then one day on the way to work, 3k down the road she was frying, pulled up and steam was pissing out of my exhaust, BHG and a warped $2000 head, get a system pressure test done too {i think they are free}

are u losing water

im not losing water its just getting really fscking hot-
ive got a big paycheck coming in this week so no matter what its going to be fscking fixed ... . wonder how much that will set me back. Sad

not a happy chappy atm- cant enjoy driving when my eyes are glued to the fscking heat guage the whole drive anywhere i go Crying or Very Sad Crying or Very Sad Crying or Very Sad Crying or Very Sad Crying or Very Sad Crying or Very Sad Crying or Very Sad Crying or Very Sad

[Updated on: Sun, 13 March 2005 08:37]

Bozza
Regular

September 2004
Re: Overheating on freeway Sun, 13 March 2005 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My mate is having this same problem with his engine heating up. I'm pretty sure the engine is leaking water aswell. What should i do first? Get radiator cleaned, new radiator cap? I'm not sure what we should to do try and fix the problem. Also does anybody know of a place in south brisbane that cleans radiators?

Thanks, Bozza
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Overheating on freeway Sun, 13 March 2005 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overheating under power or travelling fast usually means blocked radiator...

overheating while idealing or going slowly usually means extremely blocked radiator or fan clutch?thermo not working.

thermostat and radiator cap can cause issues under both circumstances...

go for a rad service and fulsuh engine and new coolant...that should fix your issue..
Bozza
Regular

September 2004
Re: Overheating on freeway Sun, 13 March 2005 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
people100 wrote on Sun, 13 March 2005 18:46

go for a rad service and fulsuh engine and new coolant...that should fix your issue..

How do u flush the engine out? And wat is a rad service? Sorry if these are stupid questions but i dont know much about engines.
coFF33
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Overheating on freeway Sun, 13 March 2005 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
... under your radiator there should be a tube that comes out . above that tube should be a "bung" that u can unscrew which will release the fluid form the radiator- make sure u have the cap off which will make it drain easyer-

also .. stuck a hose in there to clear it all out untill the water drains out clear insted of green- wait till all the water has drained then replace bung so it is no longer draining.

then put in a quality brand coolent -ALWAYS MAKE SURE U USE THE SAME COOLENT-

mixing brands is bad as they eat at each other and do not work properly

once full start engine so it cycles the coolent through. then top up as necessary also fill the overflow half way and ya done Smile
Bozza
Regular

September 2004
Re: Overheating on freeway Sun, 13 March 2005 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
But if u flush the engine out, there shouldn't be any or much coolant left so u could put a better coolant in it. Because i think the coolant that is in my mates car is really bad. So i will flush it out and put better coolant in it.
coFF33
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Overheating on freeway Sun, 13 March 2005 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
can someone tell me how often the problem with cooling is
associated with

water pump
Thermostat
rather than just a blocked radiator ?
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Overheating on freeway Sun, 13 March 2005 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bozza wrote on Sun, 13 March 2005 11:53

people100 wrote on Sun, 13 March 2005 18:46

How do u flush the engine out? And wat is a rad service? Sorry if these are stupid questions but i dont know much about engines.

im not sure about other radiator shops but at our shop we have a flkush gun that gets hooked up to the hose connected to the thermostat housing. then water is flowed through and bursts of high pressure air until its clean. then you turno the water off and blow the rest of the water out of the system. you do this so when u refill there an be little risk of air locks.

a radiator service would included removing the tank and cleaning internally to assure there is no blockage in the radiator. usually if the car has a blocked radiator just flushing will not remove this. the radiator would need to have a tank removed and serviced. an average price for a smaller car would be $140-$150 plus gst. that gets the radiator removed from your car and fully serviced to assure no blockage. then the engine is high pressure flushed and the radiator is put back in and coolant added. everything else is checked will it is. if in brissy and need anything done call HI-TECH radiators on 32777087 or vistorian people call NORTHERN SUBURBS RADIATORS
Bozza
Regular

September 2004
Re: Overheating on freeway Sun, 13 March 2005 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How much should a water pump and thermostat cost appromiately? Also where can u buy them from? Does anybody know of a place in south bris that unblocks a radiator?

Thanks, Bozza
coFF33
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Overheating on freeway Sun, 13 March 2005 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

is. if in brissy and need anything done call HI-TECH radiators on 32777087 or vistorian people call NORTHERN SUBURBS RADIATORS

Bozza
Regular

September 2004
Re: Overheating on freeway Sun, 13 March 2005 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I will give them a call sometime this week. My mate is on a strick budget so he wont be able to spend over $140-$150 plus gst. But will see what they say when i give them a call. Thanks for ur help coFF33.

coFF33
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Overheating on freeway Tue, 15 March 2005 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
UPDATE : my radiator was 80% blocked- Thermo and pipes and cap are fine- Natrad has also informed me that when they opened it it was so rotten it had actually caved in in the centre -

$350 for a new one installed Sad

i have a wad in my wallet atm so im gonna get them to do a pro job of it .. but DAMN THE LADY OWNER that i bought it off for not servicing it ! Sad

but hey .. hopefully there will be no more problems starting tomorrow (that i cant fix)

anyways .. just thought id inform you all of what the problem was:P

-coFF
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Overheating on freeway Tue, 15 March 2005 09:00 Go to previous message
i think mine is one the way out, on the way home from penrith on saturday the car was running pretty warm still only halfway, but you never know by the guage, anyway the overflow bottle was full to the top yet i know it wasn't cos i checked it in the morning when i checked the oil so the stuff had heated up, it has been going through a bit of coolant lately normally it only uses oil, but it ain't using oil at the moment it ain't a HG cos the coolant is still very green and the oil is black like always, i know the oil should be brown but the engine is pretty fucked so it is black, me thinks the radiator is blocked the diff is leaking again so my next neighbour is taking it on friday to fix that but he has to drive to lidcombe so it might run a little hot, i'll get him to check the radiator out as well. That and the aircon fuse blew about a month ago and i been to lazy to pull the passenger kick panel out to get to the fuse box to replace it, damn three fuse boxes and one of them being behind a panel.
Has happened before to my uncle when he had it after a very heavy storm water gets into the passenger kick panel and friesw the fuse box.
He went to the wreckers to get a new box cos toyota wanted 27 bucks and pretty much every corona there was the same with a corroded out box anyway end my rant but yeah i think my car has a blocked radiator and is over heating, I chacked the air filter on the weekend and it was clear had only been replaced in feb anyway
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:20 Valve Blacktop Timing Belt Tensioner Plz Help
Next Topic:GT4 st165 Rough idle.
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 22:44:02 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0096111297607422 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.