Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » 3k performance?????????????????????????

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
kdogg
Regular

November 2004
icon5.gif  3k performance????????????????????????? Tue, 01 March 2005 11:07 Go to next message
is there such thing as getting a lil bit decent performance out of a 3k? Whats possible? Embarassed Also is it at all possible to make this engine injected, and whats involved in doing do?

[Updated on: Fri, 04 March 2005 23:58]

Send a private message to this user    
Redwarf
Regular

February 2005
Re: 3k performance????????????????????????? Tue, 01 March 2005 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Without wanting to sound funny, how much money do you have? Due to rally regulations, I had to use a 3K or a 2T-G in my car. As I had a dozen of them, I chose 3K power. 4K cranks fit with a bit of work, if you're getting serious, don't get a big port head, start with a small port, and port that. We used charade pistons, and run 10.8:1 CR, twin 40mm Webers, use BP ultimate, and have just under 90 at the wheels. It all depends on what you want.
hokey
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 3k performance????????????????????????? Tue, 01 March 2005 23:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
do u mean 90 hp atw?
Jason
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: 3k performance????????????????????????? Wed, 02 March 2005 01:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just built a 3k/4k hybrid for my folks worked the 3k head slightly and port matched it to the manifolds. 4k block with new pistons rings bearings etc had a reground cam also. Not sure on the power output but i had 200psi in the cylinders and loads of torque, so much so that i didnt notice when the aircon was on.
Only downfall was that it had to be run on Premium and my folks wern't prepared for that so it went back to standard.

Cheers
JAson

Ps head and cam may be up for sale for the right price.
Redwarf
Regular

February 2005
Re: 3k performance????????????????????????? Wed, 02 March 2005 05:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hokey wrote on Wed, 02 March 2005 10:22

do u mean 90 hp atw?

Sorry, yes 90 HP ATW. I'm old, I don't know about these KW thingies....
kdogg
Regular

November 2004
Re: 3k performance????????????????????????? Thu, 03 March 2005 04:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i will have about 4000 to spend on the engine. 4k or 3k block?
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 3k performance????????????????????????? Thu, 03 March 2005 04:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if it's for a road car, 4K. if it's for a race car, 3K.

i have 4K with bigport 3K head and 7KE injection etc.. motor is set up for 5500rpm and it has a great power band from 5500 to 8000rpm.

if i was to do it again (for a street car) i would use a small port 3K head, get better pistons and a larger lift but smalle rduration cam.

if i was to do it again for a race car, i would get bigger lift cam but similar duration, roller rockers, roller lifters if i could make em fit, much lighter short pistons, quad TB's

or i'd get a 4AG Wink

4000 to spend is a lot, especially on a K motor.. for street, i think 7000 is a sensible redline (maybe 7500), but to get them to perform is tough (if you have to work it all out), whereas you could get a 4AG in there for that much, and it would be a better overall package..

the only reason you would stick with a K motor is for cheapness, for DIY'ness, or because you are restricted to by racing rules..

Cya, Stewart

kdogg
Regular

November 2004
Re: 3k performance????????????????????????? Thu, 03 March 2005 05:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i was going to go a 4age, i actually have it still in my garage but i want the car on the road and i want it going before my missus gets the shits and makes me get rid of it plus i dont want the hassle of engineering and cops being pricks and defecting me.
kdogg
Regular

November 2004
Re: 3k performance????????????????????????? Fri, 04 March 2005 02:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks stewart. Any help on finding decent parts for the engine would be appreciated, know anywhere decent to get good parts?
kdogg
Regular

November 2004
Re: 3k performance????????????????????????? Fri, 04 March 2005 06:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bump
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 3k performance????????????????????????? Sun, 06 March 2005 05:14 Go to previous message
kdogg wrote on Fri, 04 March 2005 13:37

thanks stewart. Any help on finding decent parts for the engine would be appreciated, know anywhere decent to get good parts?

ACl pistons, go to "Nason engine parts" at chipping norton (alfred rd?) they wholesale them, same for any gaskets (use BD950MT head gaskets).

cam, Camtech is just near Nasons.. i have a 609 which is a little too big for street, and needs lower bind height springs.

exhaust, make yourself, or talk to "australias best muffler and tyre service www.tyres.com?
2" is plenty big, but make sure you have a quiet muffler or you will sound like a dickhead Wink 1.75" is better for a more normal motor.

jaycar HEI is a good thing for ignition, but good to get an 'elec' coil at the same time.. Bosch replacement HEI type coils are ok. the orange GT40 coils suck.

anything else?
Cya, Stewart
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Price range?
Next Topic:S/C Camry
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 16:53:31 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0052800178527832 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.