Toymods » General Car Talk » Compliance plates under 15 year rule

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
mk27m
Regular

November 2003
Compliance plates under 15 year rule Tue, 01 March 2005 12:07 Go to next message
Hi, i was just wondering if anyone new what the deal is with compliance plates under the 15 year rule?

I've just bought a 89 ma70 with victorian rego and i'm having trouble getting it registered in SA as it has no australian compliance plate fitted. It was complianced in victoria in november last year under the 15 year rule and i have the vicroads paper compliance sheet with all the compliance details on it but the guys at the transport sa inspection station on sturt road said that means nothing without a australian compliance plate fitted to the car.

They even went on to say that they see heaps of cars registered by vicroads that should never have been allowed onto the road.

Best information i've heard is that cars registered under the 15 year rule arn't fitted with an australian compliance plate.

I know there is a government website out there detailing all these requirement's does anyone know it's details?

I'm going to go back in to have a chat to them and it would be good to have some ammunition to throw at them.

Thanks,

Drew.
  Send a private message to this user    
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Compliance plates under 15 year rule Tue, 01 March 2005 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my mate bought a car from vic .. (dumb vicroads) and his mr2 has no compliance ..

hes fucked
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Compliance plates under 15 year rule Tue, 01 March 2005 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this topic has come up before i think - concesus was SA transport people = stupid.

Under the old 15yr scheme - now the pre-1989 scheme:

#

1. you were given an vehicle import approval from DOTARS prior to importing the car
  2. you had to perform some simple minor modifications on the car so that it met ADRs from its year of manufacture
  3. Once modifications done, you got an engineer's certificate to certify those mods were done and the car is safe to be registered.
  4. the car is then registered as per the "unregistered vehicle" system in your state... this is a blue slip in NSW
the car is then registered as per the "unregistered vehicle" system in your state... this is a blue slip in NSW .

There is no "australian compliance plate" because the car is imported via a different method to SEVS. Contact a KNOWLEDGEABLE person at the SA transport authorities, or contact DOTARS (national governing body) - they should be able to guide you on how to get the car registered in SA.

Most likely you will just have to do the parts from step 2. ownards.
b05c0
Occasional Poster

April 2004
Re: Compliance plates under 15 year rule Tue, 01 March 2005 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I imported AE86 last year and did not have any trouble registering in WA. Dropped the car to mechanic in the afternoon, ready to be registered next day.

I moved down to Melbourne a few months ago and changed to Victorian registration over christmas hols. Inspectors at Vicroads tried to find the australian compliance plate on my car.... after 10 mins with three inspectors, I told them it does not have one. They simply did not have any idea about 15yr old imports rules.

They made a few phone calls and I got my Vic Plate.
mk27m
Regular

November 2003
Re: Compliance plates under 15 year rule Wed, 02 March 2005 05:18 Go to previous message
Cool thanks, I've got (and had at the time of inspection) the certificate signed by the engineera to say it meets all relevent adr's etc. so i might try them again tomorrow.

The great part is the inspection station is only open wednesday's and thursday's 8-3, which is handy when you work of course.

Thanks,

Drew.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Want suggestions on rims
Next Topic:Identifying Disc Brakes??
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 04:12:16 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0051529407501221 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.