Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Sprinter Trueno engine conversion

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
BennyG
Regular

February 2005
Sprinter Trueno engine conversion Mon, 28 February 2005 11:52 Go to next message
Change of subject, i have received feedback that the last idea was very flawed (read: stupid) so now i am wondering what engine would be best for the following situation. High revving, preferably reaching the 8000-9000 rpm range (without spending millions). Approximately 2L capacity (after modification is fine). Something capable of making big power, it will be mainly street driven so legality is a must. Please post any suggestions. Cheers

[Updated on: Mon, 28 February 2005 13:01]

Send a private message to this user    
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: Sprinter Trueno 2JZ conversion Mon, 28 February 2005 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah ok... Rolling Eyes
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Sprinter Trueno 2JZ conversion Mon, 28 February 2005 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
er hmm yes.
the firewall may propose a problem. as would the legalities of such a conversion.
prepare for flamage.
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Sprinter Trueno 2JZ conversion Mon, 28 February 2005 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anything can be done if you have the cash.........except this conversion.....safely.
driftae86
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Sprinter Trueno 2JZ conversion Mon, 28 February 2005 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
find a spare trueno first.

(ive had to change this because some people are starting to think that i actually do have 3 truenos in my backyard Razz)

however, the convo may not be legal if you plan to use it on the road, due to engine capacity etc.

[Updated on: Tue, 01 March 2005 14:28]

BennyG
Regular

February 2005
Re: Sprinter Trueno 2JZ conversion Mon, 28 February 2005 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cheers, all i needed to know
peeack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2004
Re: Sprinter Trueno engine conversion Mon, 28 February 2005 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
-_o

1st question, do you even have the Truenno yet? Just curious..

You could allways use a 4A-GE 20V head on a 7A block ( 1.8 ) I hear that can be achieved. But erm.. yeah.. SR20? CA18? 3S-GE / GTE? plenty of options..

[Updated on: Mon, 28 February 2005 14:50]

Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Sprinter Trueno engine conversion Mon, 28 February 2005 22:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
for naturally aspirated you'd go either 3sge or SR20de, sr20 has 7.5Krpm redline stock so with mods that can be lifted. If you gots to much money what about an s2000 motor its got what you want stock, but will be a hell of a job and very expensive
BennyG
Regular

February 2005
Re: Sprinter Trueno engine conversion Mon, 28 February 2005 22:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've heard a bit about the 3s-gte, apparantly has the ability to produce big power? I haven't bought the Trueno yet but there are a couple i have my eye on, so just wanted to see what i could do with it first before i fork out the cash to buy one. I would do all the internals and all the bolt ons, possibly twin turbo, so whats the best platform for this kind of work? Thanks

[Updated on: Mon, 28 February 2005 22:09]

Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Sprinter Trueno engine conversion Mon, 28 February 2005 22:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=53144&start=0&rid=4118&S=85a8c7743f1 a575bbcb6739b28f9975a
thats what you can do with a 3sgte in a sprinter
BennyG
Regular

February 2005
Re: Sprinter Trueno engine conversion Tue, 01 March 2005 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what kinda money are we talking for a 3s-gte? How much approx for fitting and labour? Does it take exorbatant amounts of money to get the power out of it?
ShiRi
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Sprinter Trueno engine conversion Tue, 01 March 2005 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Does it take exorbatant amounts of money to get the power out of it?

the short answer is yes

nothing is cheap with a sprinter
BennyG
Regular

February 2005
Re: Sprinter Trueno engine conversion Tue, 01 March 2005 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what kind of money are we talking?
ShiRi
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Sprinter Trueno engine conversion Tue, 01 March 2005 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thousands
BennyG
Regular

February 2005
Re: Sprinter Trueno engine conversion Tue, 01 March 2005 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yea i realise that, im not completely stupid when it comes to this stuff. everything with performance cars costs thousands. I need to know how many thousands? How much does the engine set you back, and then how bout fitting and labour, and then how bout getting power out of it?
levin_boi
Regular

March 2004
Re: Sprinter Trueno engine conversion Tue, 01 March 2005 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shouldnt really need to work the 2j that much to produce a lot of power especially in a sprinter. what do you plan to use the car for?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Sprinter Trueno engine conversion Tue, 01 March 2005 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BennyG wrote on Tue, 01 March 2005 21:45

I need to know how many thousands? How much does the engine set you back, and then how bout fitting and labour, and then how bout getting power out of it?

There is no answer to a question like this, which is why ShiRi said "thousands". There are far too many variables to give you a more accurate estimate.

But if it makes you feel any better, I'll pluck a number out of my ass. $20k.
BennyG
Regular

February 2005
Re: Sprinter Trueno engine conversion Tue, 01 March 2005 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok forget the part about getting power out of it, yes i understand there are lots of variables, but with the cost of the engine and for fitting and labour into an AE86 surely there shouldnt be too many variables, one of you guys surely would have a fairly accurate figure?
levin_boi
Regular

March 2004
Re: Sprinter Trueno engine conversion Tue, 01 March 2005 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cant say, for a 2j to fit into an 86 engine bay alot of it will have to be custom fabricated. so you could be talkinganything from $5k to $20k. whats the car bieng used for? street,drift,drags???
BennyG
Regular

February 2005
Re: Sprinter Trueno engine conversion Tue, 01 March 2005 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'm not talking about putting a 2j into it as some guys pointed out the legality issues with it and so forth.. the 3s-gte is what ive settled for, i assume it would be a lot cheaper to buy and to have fitted, so all info i want is for this engine. car would be made for mainly for street, with some show and drag work.
drift86levin
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Sprinter Trueno engine conversion Tue, 01 March 2005 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dude..seriously with a 3SGTE conversion get your friggen hands dirty!! and you will save..then you can put that money towards a nice turbo etc...if you get s hop to fit it all and everything from wo to go, you at least be looking at 8K...and thats if you find a cheap 3sgte half cut and W58 box...do it yourself and you can save at least a couple of grand..take thing to a welder to get welded..eg engine mounts..as soon as you mix weld, with automotive and performance workshop..it straight away is multiplyed by 400% than what it normally would have cost to weld the to dam pieces of steel together!
driftae86
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Sprinter Trueno engine conversion Tue, 01 March 2005 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BennyG wrote on Tue, 01 March 2005 06:08

I haven't bought the Trueno yet but there are a couple i have my eye on,

a couple of truenos? Shocked

where the hell do you find a couple of them? Razz
peeack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2004
Re: Sprinter Trueno engine conversion Tue, 01 March 2005 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that's what I was thinking Razz
BennyG
Regular

February 2005
Re: Sprinter Trueno engine conversion Tue, 01 March 2005 21:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
driftae86 wrote on Wed, 02 March 2005 01:31

have a look around on the net man, its not that hard to find them, hell yea they might be a few dollars, but you have to pay if you want somin good.
driftae86
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Sprinter Trueno engine conversion Wed, 02 March 2005 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BennyG wrote on Wed, 02 March 2005 05:55

driftae86 wrote on Wed, 02 March 2005 01:31

have a look around on the net man, its not that hard to find them, hell yea they might be a few dollars, but you have to pay if you want somin good.

why spend a lot of money on a JDM ae86 when you are just gonna rip the engine out anyway?
BennyG
Regular

February 2005
Re: Sprinter Trueno engine conversion Wed, 02 March 2005 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the engine is not the only difference between a levin and a treuno
driftae86
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Sprinter Trueno engine conversion Wed, 02 March 2005 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BennyG wrote on Wed, 02 March 2005 16:53

Rolling Eyes

but if you have your heart set on a trueno then go for it.

personally if i was gonna do a crazy engine convo i would get the cheapest 4ac sprinter "levin" with a decent body. just because of how much cheaper it would be.

but yeah, go the trueno if you have the money Smile

[Updated on: Wed, 02 March 2005 12:57]

ShiRi
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Sprinter Trueno engine conversion Wed, 02 March 2005 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BennyG wrote on Wed, 02 March 2005 19:53

thats not even a difference, they all have the same engine! 4AGE or 3AU

i wouldn't even bother with a running sprinter, find some shell and custom make everything, cause thats what ur gonna need to do

care to share where u found these trueno's for the rest of us?

shiri

[Updated on: Wed, 02 March 2005 10:39]

driftae86
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Sprinter Trueno engine conversion Wed, 02 March 2005 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ShiRi wrote on Wed, 02 March 2005 18:38

i wouldn't even bother with a running sprinter, find some shell and custom make everything, cause thats what ur gonna need to do

shiri

i think he meant the difference between an aus spec "levin" and a JDM trueno
BennyG
Regular

February 2005
Re: Sprinter Trueno engine conversion Wed, 02 March 2005 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
driftae86 wrote on Wed, 02 March 2005 23:58

ShiRi wrote on Wed, 02 March 2005 18:38

shiri

i think he meant the difference between an aus spec "levin" and a JDM trueno

correct... so what would be the best way to go, because as shiri said, im going to have to do major modifications anyway due to the engine conversion, so would u get a levin and then make it look like a treuno?
truenosedan
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Sprinter Trueno engine conversion Thu, 03 March 2005 00:12 Go to previous message
ummm...u should NOT convert it to trueno...spend that $2500 on a stomper turbo or something
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:speedometer
Next Topic:flat spot on 20v
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 01:35:08 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0078048706054688 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.