Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Best bang for buck engine.....

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
boofis
Regular

December 2004
Best bang for buck engine..... Tue, 01 March 2005 08:24 Go to next message
Hey
I just recently bought a Toyota Corolla KE 55 1980 Coupe, and I was wondering what will give me the most speed for the lowest price, but still pretty light? Any ideas? Have a good one! Very Happy
THanks
Troy
  Send a private message to this user    
Hunty
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Best bang for buck engine..... Tue, 01 March 2005 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4AGZE
boofis
Regular

December 2004
Re: Best bang for buck engine..... Tue, 01 March 2005 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey
Thanks for the reply. Got any idea where to get one and how much it will cost? Thanks man!
Thanks
Troy
trevtrev
Regular

October 2004
Re: Best bang for buck engine..... Tue, 01 March 2005 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Where are you located (fill that in on your profile and every other bastard won't have to keep asking you.) In Brisbane try Asian Auto imports at Slacks Creek. That is where I got my Silvertop from. It was a front cut, not just an engine.
boofis
Regular

December 2004
Re: Best bang for buck engine..... Tue, 01 March 2005 20:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi
D'oh sorry Rolling Eyes Embarassed I'm a bit slow! Razz I should've filled that in when I registered. I'm in Melbourne so yeah any advice thanks man!
THanks
Troy
Arch
Forums Junkie

January 2004

Re: Best bang for buck engine..... Tue, 01 March 2005 21:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The best way to find a motor is to ask all the importers or dismantlers in your area. As for price, well that depends i guess..
Hunty
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Best bang for buck engine..... Tue, 01 March 2005 22:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
get a halfcut if possible, but i'd imagine they're getting pretty rare
73ke25
Regular

October 2003
Re: Best bang for buck engine..... Wed, 02 March 2005 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3sgte
Hunty
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Best bang for buck engine..... Wed, 02 March 2005 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not if your doin it cheap
73ke25
Regular

October 2003
Re: Best bang for buck engine..... Wed, 02 March 2005 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They arent much more atall then a 4agze.
joeninety
Regular

March 2004
Re: Best bang for buck engine..... Wed, 02 March 2005 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Did a ring around Melb last week looking for one but theres nuthin doin. Renew,on Bennet st. in Dandenong has a 101 gze,low K's,loom,ecu and lsd box but they were askin over 3k for it.
They are getting very thin on the ground.
sprinter_86
Regular

July 2003
Re: Best bang for buck engine..... Wed, 02 March 2005 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I got a 4agze from RMA imports gold coast about a year ago for 2200 that was the full half cut.
buck naked
Regular

October 2004

Re: Best bang for buck engine..... Wed, 02 March 2005 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ST165 (3SGTE) half cuts are probably getting pretty cheap.
peeack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2004
Re: Best bang for buck engine..... Wed, 02 March 2005 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
but wouldn't converting a 3s-gte to RWD be harder than a 4a?
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Best bang for buck engine..... Wed, 02 March 2005 15:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you want forced induction, best to go with the 3sgte or 4AGZE

if you want naturally aspirated, go with the 20 valve 4AGE, these go for about $850, of course, if your really strapped for cash, and 18RG would suffice, although youd have some trouble cramming a 2 litre engine in...

i recommend any 4AGE variant, be it turbo, supercharged, 20 valve or 16 valve, they are awesome engines and go hard Smile

best of luck dude Smile

Eldar.O.
Fujiwara_ToFu
Regular

March 2004

Re: Best bang for buck engine..... Wed, 02 March 2005 16:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this might be rather silly but,

my mate bought a chrysler centurion (old school car) and dropped an old chrysler motor in it for 30 bucks and turboed it for another $150 odd dollars all in his backyard. Shit wait... he's on this forum...

hemi_twofifteen_turbo or something. (search hemi)

He does awesome with with his PVC piping for an intercooler pipe that rips most turbo cars from japan.

That's ultra bang for ur bang.

-Jay
quest
Regular

April 2004
Re: Best bang for buck engine..... Thu, 03 March 2005 00:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

lotsa folks on these forums may think its silly due to their wack mindset, but its a way of life on this side of the pond. *Smart folks* pick their fights very cautiously.... its quite demoralizing getting your 'money pit' import waxed by some primered ol rustbucket domestic 2valve job that spends literally a fraction of your cost to build.
Check out some of these rides... http://www.thedodgegarage.com
how would you like getting blown away from one of these 4s... at least they look way better than some I've seen in person. Guys like this live to spoil you day Smile

quite a few folks snatch up the sohc 2.3 ford 4cyl & 5speed for rwd corolla transplants. Usually ~$500 for donor car and will make over 400 ft-lbs tq to the threads on 20 year old oe internals. Will scare the shit outta u in a lightwt rolla and smash just about anything that gets in its way.

for the ke I'd go the gze then turbo it later if funds become available

93soarerTT
Occasional Poster

November 2004
Re: Best bang for buck engine..... Thu, 03 March 2005 02:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
get a 13b or a 12a, does it have to be toyota?
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Best bang for buck engine..... Thu, 03 March 2005 02:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fujiwara_ToFu wrote on Thu, 03 March 2005 03:38

this might be rather silly but,

my mate bought a chrysler centurion (old school car) and dropped an old chrysler motor in it for 30 bucks and turboed it for another $150 odd dollars all in his backyard. Shit wait... he's on this forum...

hemi_twofifteen_turbo or something. (search hemi)

He does awesome with with his PVC piping for an intercooler pipe that rips most turbo cars from japan.

That's ultra bang for ur bang.

-Jay

what sort of manifold and turbo did he use for $150? And then he redid the exhaust as well? Sorry mate, that just seems a little too unrealistic.

Oh that's right an engine conversion costs the price of engine and a tank of fuel Rolling Eyes
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Best bang for buck engine..... Thu, 03 March 2005 03:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think $150 didn't include the engine.
and i'm sure with some basic fabrication skills you could do it and some time at a wrecking yard
EMP-2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Best bang for buck engine..... Thu, 03 March 2005 03:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CA18DET

toyota is not the way to go for RWD turbo power
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Best bang for buck engine..... Thu, 03 March 2005 03:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EMP-2TG wrote on Thu, 03 March 2005 14:10

CA18DET

toyota is not the way to go for RWD turbo power

But for RWD turbo power AND relibility then toyota is the only option
EMP-2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Best bang for buck engine..... Thu, 03 March 2005 03:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah cause toyota are the only company that can make a reliable engine Laughing
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Best bang for buck engine..... Thu, 03 March 2005 04:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think the best bang for buck engine would be a 4ac, think about it its free, no matter what you say in bang for your buck perspective its the best. 50kw for just picking it up. the 3sgte is gonna cost you 2K plus for 160-190kw, hardly worth comparing to the 4ac Razz
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Best bang for buck engine..... Thu, 03 March 2005 04:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My friend has a cade silva
and they are super dooper shit.
my old celica with 2sc will beat his car everytime
i've heard alot of people have trouble with them.
I'm told it's the same part everytime.
I'll try and get into contact with him and ask.
quest
Regular

April 2004
Re: Best bang for buck engine..... Thu, 03 March 2005 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
>>"CA18DET toyota is not the way to go for RWD turbo power "

with that 100%. I have a complete ca18det/5spd drivetrain that will end up in a 82 rolla station wagon. Swap almost makes too much sense.

Years ago when I looked at options, mitsubishi was the answer for my corollas. Never been happier. Sorta glad toyota didn't have any or probably wouldn't discover how sweet the mitsu is.

>>"But for RWD turbo power AND relibility then toyota is the only option"

Rubbish.
I've driven both a ae86 gts (factory 4age/lsd) as well as a ca18det/s13 for ~4 years straight each. The ac quit and went thru 3 alternators on the toy (no stereo gear). s13 still runs like a brand new car, not one single issue (oh, injector seals starting to seep). NO comparison in power... gts is boring actually.
Seen lotsa ca18s with rod bearing problems. Change them -before- they knock... freshen as you'll do with any other "old" turbo motor. I did in my 2nd ca. Seen a few snapped turbo shafts too

4ac has 'bang' ? where ? Smile

1G-GTE KE70
Regular

December 2004
Re: Best bang for buck engine..... Thu, 03 March 2005 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3T-GTE
4A-GZE
4A-GTE
CA18-DET
Toycrash
Regular

June 2004
Re: Best bang for buck engine..... Thu, 03 March 2005 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Something from the RZ family...

dont know is it light tho ;D
1G-GTE KE70
Regular

December 2004
Re: Best bang for buck engine..... Thu, 03 March 2005 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
22RE I belive from an RA65 celica (I think that's the engine... 2.4L injected one)

They are awesome. in fact.. RA65 celicas in general are awesome.
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Best bang for buck engine..... Fri, 04 March 2005 00:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Come to think about it the 22re would be good for a smaller car as they are cheap reliable and easy to find.
they also have a fair bit of power for what they are.
Who ever said RA65/SA63's are ugly has bad taste.
I'd agree the RA60 looks like a 1/2 eaten countermeal tho Wink
bunkyT18
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: Best bang for buck engine..... Fri, 04 March 2005 01:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CA18DE/T 'If it's a nissan then it's a missin' lol! Twisted Evil
As food for thought about the reliability debate, the mighty T series toyota motors would have to be the most reliable and toughest factory spec fourpots in existence. 3TC, 3TEU, 2TC, 2TGEU and even the slightly less tough and reliable 3TGTEU.
The old 3TC is a fucking legend. You get stories of people driving 600 kms and more with the water pump completely gone, replacing the pump and then getting another 20000 out of them no worries.

The 3TC and sr20de are the only NA motors that truly require little to no internal mods to run boost and the 3TC is heaps easier to mod than the sr20de with it's pesky Nissan engine management and silly twin cam setup (JK). Seriously tho, the 3TC and 3TEU or the 2TGEU would offer the best bang for buck with a little of judicious tickling. I know a lot of people mock the old pushrod 3TC but these engines can be had for next to nothing and can be easily modified in NA form to push 150hp.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Best bang for buck engine..... Fri, 04 March 2005 01:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
22re is probably to heavy for such a light car and with 87kw and 198nm of torque it is not really going to be lightning quick, the car would have great roll on acceleration but otherwise would be not to fun to drive. Not to mention the ability of the 22re to drink fuel like a bavarian at octoberfest.
Personally for a car like that i'd say a 4age, 4agze or 3tgte.

The other problem with the 22re is outside of the states not many ppl really mod them.
Intensevil
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Best bang for buck engine..... Fri, 04 March 2005 01:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ultimatly a rotor will give you the best power / price ratio. Very easy to make decent power out of.
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Best bang for buck engine..... Fri, 04 March 2005 02:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Strap a couple of two stroke motorbike engines in it.. It'll seem fast cos of hte noise.
RG65
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Re: Best bang for buck engine..... Fri, 04 March 2005 03:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
your kidding arnt you, my ra65 didnt have any power untill i put in the 1G. the 22re was ok but nothing to write home about. the most i got out of the 22re was 98 hp at the wheels.
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Best bang for buck engine..... Fri, 04 March 2005 03:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I got a 12r going cheap here
1200det
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Best bang for buck engine..... Fri, 04 March 2005 03:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4AGZE Shocked
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Best bang for buck engine..... Fri, 04 March 2005 04:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's not a bad motor
It goes quick enough to do something stupid in.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Best bang for buck engine..... Fri, 04 March 2005 04:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
to big for the car, would not be fun to drive, with the peak torque being so low, it is a night mare to get my car off the line in the wet up a hill, it would be even worse in a lighter car. It's not worth it, the fuel alone for a year would help pay for a different conversion. Plus the fact that to have fun you wanna rev past 5.8krpm make that 5 cos not much happens after that.
Realistically a 4agze would be easier to do as more ppl are doing it and a lot faster, more fuel efficient and more fun.
hokey
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Best bang for buck engine..... Fri, 04 March 2005 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stradlater wrote on Fri, 04 March 2005 13:31

Strap a couple of two stroke motorbike engines in it.. It'll seem fast cos of hte noise.

yeh we cut the muffler of of my corolla on the 3k and i think it works. like a tiny bit Razz
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Best bang for buck engine..... Fri, 04 March 2005 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2t turbo - puerta rican style Smile

4AGE
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Best bang for buck engine..... Sat, 05 March 2005 02:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4AC!!!!

BANG for your buck. And you don't even have to spend that buck. They're usually free!

guy wanted power. Not to be wrapped around a tree. Has anyone tried to drive one of those corollas with any decent 4 in it. Maybe not all people want a drag car streeter. Especially with the BS goin down in melbourne at the moment. I would almost hardly think that a 4agze would be a feasable conversion for it. Poor guy might still be on his p's e.t.c.
IronWanker
Occasional Poster

December 2004
Re: Best bang for buck engine..... Sat, 05 March 2005 07:58 Go to previous message
2JZGTE

Someone's gotta.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:S series sumps
Next Topic:Wheel bearings
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 18:41:37 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0074329376220703 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.