Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Gen 3 1GGTE Mods

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Gen 3 1GGTE Mods Tue, 08 February 2005 04:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In that case look at the electric boost controller, it should help provide good drivability. ECU could also help here too, provided it is set up correctly.
  Send a private message to this user    
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Gen 3 1GGTE Mods Tue, 08 February 2005 04:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ohk sweet !
i know it's like asking how much is a peice of string but i've done some research and found both items vary greatly in price.
how much do u think good quality items would cost ?
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Gen 3 1GGTE Mods Tue, 08 February 2005 05:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Build the jaycar boost controller kit, grab a 2nd hand boost solenoid from a nissan wrecker, and the hand controller kit, should be easily under $200... probably close to the $150 mark. This is good for a fully customisable boost controller Razz

ECU varies too much to say Confused
Croma
Occasional Poster

November 2004
Re: Gen 3 1GGTE Mods Tue, 08 February 2005 05:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just recently got myself a GA70 supra, and im pretty new as well, im finding some things in thread interesting and im comtemplating doing some of it. Thanks,

P.S. I'll be asking for help later, most likely, please dont ignore me Razz
celicaboy_2000
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Gen 3 1GGTE Mods Tue, 08 February 2005 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gold28 Bah... Didn't some of the 1G's come out with ceramic turbines? I guess I was Bahhhh wrong then. Very Happy
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Gen 3 1GGTE Mods Tue, 08 February 2005 20:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AFAIK all CT12 (1G-GTE) are steel
CT12a (1JZ-GTE) are ceramic
CT12b (2JZ-GTE) both ceramic and steel depending on where they were delivered.

The CT12 may have come with ceramic wheels, but I am not aware of any.
BLK1GGTE
Regular

March 2004
Re: Gen 3 1GGTE Mods Wed, 09 February 2005 06:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey gold 28 how do u get past fuel cut. I am running blitz bag turbo ct12's and i get the anoying fuel cut with the engine light flashing..mind u this only happens when dropping a gear from say 70km not from standing start. Standing start it goes to 17psi no worries... Also anyone found that the damn 1g gen 2 runs f&*nin rich at this boost levels. This must be costing me power???
Anyways i finished the engine and i am wonering wheather to invest in an apexi SAFC for the mixture or go for the Greedy E-manage. I am thinking emanage cause it will get rid of the fuel cut and give me ignition controll??? What do u people think..sorry for blabing on by the way...
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Gen 3 1GGTE Mods Wed, 09 February 2005 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The 1G doesn't have a boost cut, it's the AFM maxing out. How are those turbos going btw Razz
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Gen 3 1GGTE Mods Wed, 09 February 2005 21:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dem lil CT12's are doin just fine.
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Gen 3 1GGTE Mods Wed, 09 February 2005 21:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
boyan its steve here mate how u doing , nice to see u got them turbos on is the car runnin better with them on iil have to see it one day hopefully

with the piggybacks , theres was a guy here who got 158 or so kw out of a gen 2 1g-gte with an safc type 2 in it its also easier to tune but not plug and play so wires have to be cut

emanage is better but it costs a lot of money to setup, tune and get the car running also i think u need the ignition, and injector harness for it as well

with all that effort u might as well get a replacement ecu from mines or motec or something likewise
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Gen 3 1GGTE Mods Wed, 09 February 2005 21:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
^^^^

IMHO replacement remapped ecus are a waste of time and money as they never fully suit your needs, I picked up an emanage computer for very very cheap with both harnesses, you just got to look around, personally i wouldnt bother with an SAFC either, not much tuning capability more wankfactor really

[Updated on: Wed, 09 February 2005 21:56]

indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Gen 3 1GGTE Mods Wed, 09 February 2005 23:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WELL the emanage is the better one than safc most defenitly because emanage has more tuning points and a bit better

but its up to ones liking

the costs are more for the emanage than to tune a safc
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Gen 3 1GGTE Mods Wed, 09 February 2005 23:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Noob Question:
What's SAFC ?
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Gen 3 1GGTE Mods Wed, 09 February 2005 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
indian: bah, the SAFC will cost you nearly $650 brand spankers, whereas emanage will cost about $720 with wiring and injector harness install and tune will cost around $500, tune and install on SAFC is about $300, the differences arent that much...
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Gen 3 1GGTE Mods Wed, 09 February 2005 23:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mookie: SAFC is a super air flow controller, it is made by apexi and it is basially a crude piggy back computer with flashy wank factor screen...
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Gen 3 1GGTE Mods Wed, 09 February 2005 23:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its called SUPER AIR FLOW CONVERTER

made by apexi

its a piggyback fuel controller in a nutshell
cheap way to make power from a soarer
well no too much of power but still good enuf for small mods
it lets u increase or decrease fuel setting for given rpm range
and since our cars run like mega rich from factory it help by lowering fuel consumption and giving some power, good for when u turn the boost up
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Gen 3 1GGTE Mods Wed, 09 February 2005 23:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well for 1200 u can get an aftermarket ecu that will be way better than emanage or safc , plug and play u cant beat that
i cant remember the name of the ecu though , iil get it later

but the emange sound like a good deal for the price

also the safc can be pulled out and used on another car , but with the emanage it cant be done due to the harness being different ,,,,

thats of course only good if ur selling ur car and getting another turbo car

[Updated on: Wed, 09 February 2005 23:25]

gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Gen 3 1GGTE Mods Wed, 09 February 2005 23:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Haltec do a plug in programmable ecu for the 1G but I don't know which version.
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Gen 3 1GGTE Mods Thu, 10 February 2005 00:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ohhhhh right thanks guys.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Gen 3 1GGTE Mods Thu, 10 February 2005 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Wed, 09 February 2005 17:58

The 1G doesn't have a boost cut, it's the AFM maxing out. How are those turbos going btw Razz

BLK1GGTE wrote on Wed, 09 February 2005 14:49

I am running blitz bag turbo ct12's

I'm curious about these, they are the ones on mine Very Happy
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Gen 3 1GGTE Mods Thu, 10 February 2005 00:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are the turbo's used on the 1g the 1jz and 2jz the same ?
another noob question i know but i really need to know.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Gen 3 1GGTE Mods Thu, 10 February 2005 00:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mookie wrote on Thu, 10 February 2005 08:34

Are the turbo's used on the 1g the 1jz and 2jz the same ?
another noob question i know but i really need to know.

Not at all.
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Gen 3 1GGTE Mods Thu, 10 February 2005 00:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they r all ct 12's tho right ?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Gen 3 1GGTE Mods Thu, 10 February 2005 00:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No, the 1G has CT12's, the 1JZ has CT12A's and the 2JZ has CT12B's (or CT20A's), about the only thing they have in common is that they're a turbo with the name CT before them.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Gen 3 1GGTE Mods Thu, 10 February 2005 00:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I bought a digital fuel adjuster, electronic boost controller, hand controller and cable today... and that book that jaycar have also released, all up - $240!

Should do the job quite well I think Smile
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Gen 3 1GGTE Mods Thu, 10 February 2005 00:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris,

Im looking for a cheap EBC, if you wanna make some cash do you reckon you could put one together?
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Gen 3 1GGTE Mods Thu, 10 February 2005 01:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lemme build and test this one first, then i'll decide on that one...

If I feel confident in making it, why not.
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Gen 3 1GGTE Mods Thu, 10 February 2005 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so 2jz turbo's wouldn't be much of an improvement over what i have now ?
if it's a stupid question i'm sorry but the way i was thinking was.
the 2jz is a bigger newer more powerful motor and it's made by toyota. so it should be an easy swap and should yeild some power gains.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Gen 3 1GGTE Mods Thu, 10 February 2005 01:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Of course they'd be an improvement, power wise anyway, I think you'd find they'd be a bit laggy.

Mookie wrote on Thu, 10 February 2005 09:12

the 2jz is a bigger newer more powerful motor and it's made by toyota. so it should be an easy swap and should yeild some power gains.

How do you figure that, because Toyota made the CT26, does that mean I can put two of them on my manifold!? For starters, the 2JZGTE turbos only have one wastegate.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Gen 3 1GGTE Mods Thu, 10 February 2005 01:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
awesome Cool

now seeing as this thread has become the dedicated 1GGTE mods thread, well sort of Razz, i got a question for the 1G nuts out there, as some of you may know I am undertaking project drift soarer at the moment in fitting a pair of 32 GTR Turbos, these turbos are obviously not steel wheeled or ball bearing so an upgrade will be planned for the next six months, I was thinking of putting on a pair of GT2510's but using the GTR 28's exhaust housing becuase it is reasonably small which I am told is good for reducing lag.

2510's are roughly good for about 180rwkw on a 4AGTE so I am guessing i could make close to 290rwkw with a pair of them on a 1G?

any thoughts?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Gen 3 1GGTE Mods Thu, 10 February 2005 01:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The turbos can provide the air for it, whether or not you can get the engine to ingest that much air would be another question.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Gen 3 1GGTE Mods Thu, 10 February 2005 01:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We do seem to need a dedicated 1g-gte thread... every week at least 2 threads pop up asking a question that has been asked, or one that needs it's answer documented Razz

I'm gonna push these stock turbos until i kill them... then i'll have to decide on getting either another set, or upgrade to a single or whatever.
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Gen 3 1GGTE Mods Thu, 10 February 2005 02:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they are out of the new twin turbo supra's tho right ?
IT's just my warped logic i guess, I assumed the bolt pattern would be at least similar.

If i have to rev my motor out heaps before the turbo's start boosting does that mean i have lag ????
thank for answering my questions i know they must seem like really stupid questions to knowledgable ppl such as urselves.
Ra28Freak
Regular

September 2004
Re: Gen 3 1GGTE Mods Thu, 10 February 2005 02:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh the more you have to rev before they spool up is the more lag you have

; i think that spacific engine threads that are stickey would be a really good idea ??? at least on the first page we can peice together a tech to read for each engine you know? that way we can cut down on clutter perhaps ? anyhow just an idea
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Gen 3 1GGTE Mods Thu, 10 February 2005 02:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Thu, 10 February 2005 11:49

The turbos can provide the air for it, whether or not you can get the engine to ingest that much air would be another question.

any idea on how i could get the bastard to chew it up?

gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Gen 3 1GGTE Mods Thu, 10 February 2005 02:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ra28Freak wrote on Thu, 10 February 2005 13:19

yeh the more you have to rev before they spool up is the more lag you have

Technically speaking that is the boost threashold. Lag is agtually how long it takes to make boost if you drop the accellerator when you are already doing the required revs.

But I guess thats what he was asking
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Gen 3 1GGTE Mods Thu, 10 February 2005 03:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that was my limited understanding of it.
Thanks for filling in the blanks.
I think this should be a 1GGTE sticky aswell
I could change the title if u guys like.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Gen 3 1GGTE Mods Thu, 10 February 2005 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR 1GGTE wrote on Thu, 10 February 2005 10:27

Cleaning up the head, a larger throttle body, basically giving the engine a clearer path would be the most logical solution.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Gen 3 1GGTE Mods Thu, 10 February 2005 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Thu, 10 February 2005 16:59

MR 1GGTE wrote on Thu, 10 February 2005 10:27

Cleaning up the head, a larger throttle body, basically giving the engine a clearer path would be the most logical solution.

excellent cheers Cool
Robbo85
Newcomer

January 2005
Re: Gen 3 1GGTE Mods Sun, 13 February 2005 07:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gold28 wrote on Thu, 10 February 2005 10:36

Haltec do a plug in programmable ecu for the 1G but I don't know which version.

Was talking to a bloke from haltec the other day. He said the E6X's are good for the 1G's. Their worth a fair bit of coin though. bout $1700, not including installation or anything.
Cheers, Rob
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Gen 3 1GGTE Mods Tue, 01 March 2005 02:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I figured this thread would be the best place to post this so i dug it up.

Simple bolt on mods ?
is there such a thing ?
I don't have time to take the motor to peices at the moment but i'm still after more of that "pin you back in you seat" feeling.
I don't have heaps of money to throw at it (meaning i haven't saved anything i'm just gunna throw my pay cheque at it)
I keep thinging bigger turbo's will do it but they will cost me lag.
it's got a pod filter and 3 inch system already what else is there left to do ?
I'm looking for a little more bottom to middle end instead of rev it's tits off kind of thing.
If anybody has any ideas i'd be greatful.
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Gen 3 1GGTE Mods Tue, 01 March 2005 03:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
up the boost to 15psi
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Gen 3 1GGTE Mods Tue, 01 March 2005 03:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bugman wrote on Tue, 01 March 2005 14:17

up the boost to 15psi

I'm a step ahead of you.

altho my car is trying it's hardest it can only get to 10 psi.
I've turned the boots adjuster up and it's still only getting 10 psi what is the go there ?
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Gen 3 1GGTE Mods Tue, 01 March 2005 03:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unplug the vacum hoses completely and very carefully try see how high it goes Smiley =
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Gen 3 1GGTE Mods Tue, 01 March 2005 04:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol ohk I'll do it tonight.
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Gen 3 1GGTE Mods Tue, 01 March 2005 04:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
also while your under your bonnet make sure that both wastgates are closed.
do this by looking at the linkages.. make sure they are both roughly in the same position and all the linkages are all together.
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Gen 3 1GGTE Mods Tue, 01 March 2005 05:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BTW MAKE SURE THE BLEED VALVE IS IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION

if not u wont get anything more than stock boost

looks like thats ur problem , just check it

also a pod filter and exhaust and boost wound up should do a bit performance wise
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Gen 3 1GGTE Mods Tue, 01 March 2005 05:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HyDrA wrote on Thu, 10 February 2005 11:56

I bought a digital fuel adjuster, electronic boost controller, hand controller and cable today... and that book that jaycar have also released, all up - $240!

btw hydra is that digital fuel adjuster any better than safc 1 or 2 im planning on an safc 1or 2 (whichever i can get cheap) soon which one u think will be better safc or jaycar stuff

and btw is that hand controller programmed to work with both the fuel adjuster and boost controller

if thats the case then i can get it as wellcause i need a boost controller too lollllllll
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Gen 3 1GGTE Mods Tue, 01 March 2005 05:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I haven't changed anything so it should still work .
unless there is another problem.
I'm going to check the 'gates when/ if stops it raining tonite.
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Gen 3 1GGTE Mods Tue, 01 March 2005 05:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DID U INSTALL THE BOST CONTROLLER URSELF F SO THEN CHEK THAT ITS THE RIGHT WAYAROUND

theres an arrow on manual bleed valves i think its supposed to be facing towards the wategate

and yeah the gates are a good idea too

btw whats with the chik in ur avtar (as it says)
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Gen 3 1GGTE Mods Tue, 01 March 2005 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
indian wrote on Tue, 01 March 2005 16:14

HyDrA wrote on Thu, 10 February 2005 11:56

btw hydra is that digital fuel adjuster any better than safc 1 or 2 im planning on an safc 1or 2 (whichever i can get cheap) soon which one u think will be better safc or jaycar stuff

and btw is that hand controller programmed to work with both the fuel adjuster and boost controller

if thats the case then i can get it as wellcause i need a boost controller too lollllllll

The hand controller can change both devices. I dont know how it compares to those units, but it's gonna be good enough! You will need dyno time however, and you need a wide band O2 sensor.
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Gen 3 1GGTE Mods Tue, 01 March 2005 21:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
whats a wide band 02 sensor , does the ig-gte engine have it , lolllll
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Gen 3 1GGTE Mods Tue, 01 March 2005 21:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Most dyno shops should have one... they're a good $600-$900 for a full kit (sensor, wiring, display).
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Gen 3 1GGTE Mods Tue, 01 March 2005 21:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so what does tis thing do for the $900 spent , is that some sort of chip or ecu or is it just a sensor as it says and will this sensor be neccesary for the jaycar kits to work
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Gen 3 1GGTE Mods Tue, 01 March 2005 21:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's the sort of sensor that if you dont know what it does you really should leave the tuning to the professionals... even if you know what it does, a good dyno tune is probably safer Smile
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Gen 3 1GGTE Mods Tue, 01 March 2005 21:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lolll thats cool i aint gonna tune the car my self will be gong to the mechanic on dyno

just wanted to know if this jaycar Kit needed the wideband 02 sensor to work , as u said the kit only cost like 250 dollars for the boost controller , fuel adjuster and handset , I was just wondering weter I need to fork out another 900 dollars to get the kit running in my car as I will be needing exactly that ( a boost controller and fuel controller) for my soarer soon , and was wondering which ones to get , jaycar ones , or the safc and some cheap ebc

so all in all which will be cheaper jaycar kit (will it work on the ig-gte engine, and without the wideband 02 sensor) or just go and buy the safc and an ebc
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Gen 3 1GGTE Mods Tue, 01 March 2005 22:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the wide band o2 sensor is what they stick up your exhaust pipe to tell you your fuel ratios very accuratly.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Gen 3 1GGTE Mods Tue, 01 March 2005 22:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The jaycar kits will probably end up cheaper - those prebuilt brand name products are usually big $$$'s. Dyno time will cost you a bit however.

You will need to go on a dyno no matter which way you go.

[Updated on: Tue, 01 March 2005 22:02]

indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Gen 3 1GGTE Mods Tue, 01 March 2005 22:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hah so then i wont need the wideband 02 sensor as i wont be tunin the car my self the dyno dude has it , i remember him sticking it in the exhaust pipe when i went there last time

yeah i will need to get it on a dyno for sure as im getting the exhaust done, winding the boost up and then trimming the fuel to get the best out of it

so does the jaycar kit come as the usual diy kit or is it all assembled already

btw since its a soarer thread

does anyone here know how to relocate the cruise control switch on the steering wheel cause im changing the steering wheel and cant find a boss kit with cruise control on it

will i be real hard anyone done it for the soarer b4

cheers
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Gen 3 1GGTE Mods Tue, 01 March 2005 22:15 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
indian wrote on Tue, 01 March 2005 16:57

DID U INSTALL THE BOST CONTROLLER URSELF F SO THEN CHEK THAT ITS THE RIGHT WAYAROUND

theres an arrow on manual bleed valves i think its supposed to be facing towards the wategate

and yeah the gates are a good idea too

btw whats with the chik in ur avtar (as it says)

Haha I didn't install it myself it was in the car when i bought it.

The chick is my friend lisa she has a website but you need a credit card. She lives in cyprus but she sends me her pic for free.
and i'm staying with her when i got to cyprus.
Pages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:coolant very dirty = cracked head gasket?
Next Topic:4age rwd water pump
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 11 13:19:27 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0097668170928955 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.