Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
FullySick
Regular

September 2003
Head gasket Wed, 02 March 2005 02:12 Go to next message
hey there

whats the best thing to do to a MA70 supra in terms of the head gasket to be safe from it stuffing up?

replace? tension?

i just heard of a guy who's recently sold a supra and it was because the head gasket just kept going, 3 or 4 times...

how can I safe guard this from happening to me from the beginning!

ta
  Send a private message to this user    
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: Head gasket Wed, 02 March 2005 02:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just replaced mine with a new gasket and torqued it down more. Instead of the 56 or something ft/lb that the factory recommend, torque the headbolts down to 70 something. Cant remember the exact figures, so you might have to search for it. So far mines held up to heavy abuse with that done. You could always go one step further and get a metal headgasket, o-ring'ed block and ARP headstuds. That way it won't blow for sure. Well, most probably not anyways.

Yian
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Head gasket Wed, 02 March 2005 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah id like to know as well for my ma70 coz this needs doing in the next month or so -

where has the cheapest

hks mhg for 7mgte?
arp fastener bolts?

and anything else required for it..
Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: Head gasket Wed, 02 March 2005 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FullySick wrote on Wed, 02 March 2005 13:12

i just heard of a guy who's recently sold a supra and it was because the head gasket just kept going, 3 or 4 times...

it sounds as though the guy was doing something wrong. not torqueing it right or most likely the head was warped. when replacing the h/g its a good idea to get the head machined.

with a good h/g,machining and proper fitting, u should have no problems in the future...
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: Head gasket Wed, 02 March 2005 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not sure about the pricing on a HKS MHG. But ARP headstuds should set you back around the $180ish mark? Thats about the trade price so depending on who you know and where you go the prices will differ.

If you're going to get a metal headgasket, the head needs to be machine and block decked. Metal does not compress much as compared to conventional headgaskets, and as thus, needs totally flat surfaces to seal it.

And also, don't torque it down to factory specs. Search for the recommended torque value; I'm sure its somewhere in this forum.

Yian
RA65 Sleeka
Regular

June 2003
Re: Head gasket Wed, 02 March 2005 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i got a cometic metal h/g and apr head studs from the states for $220us hvent put it in yet but i will.
TerryOBeirne
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Head gasket Wed, 02 March 2005 21:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i fix these heads/engines regularly in my business. most gaskets swaps fail cause of lack of attention to detail. A combination of crap left on the block and stretched bolts from over-torquing them, is common. They were never a good deal, with marginal sealing arrangments, but age and poor workmanship makes failure a near certainty. We use the ARP studs all the time on these and torque them to ARP recommended values. The cometic or other metal gasket should only be used with "perfect" mating surfaces--definitley not a back yadr job. we have special finish we have to acheieve on both block & head for these types of gaskets. if anyone wants them, i usually have both bolts and gaskets in stock.
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Head gasket Wed, 02 March 2005 23:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the stock revised toyota gasket is a good thing
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Head gasket Wed, 02 March 2005 23:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This 7m head gasket problem has been covered just about more times than any other issue on this forum. Do a search and you'll find plenty of info.
ninja_86
Regular

January 2005
Re: Head gasket Thu, 03 March 2005 10:54 Go to previous message
a guy i know got a 1.5 mm head gasket from HKS, and he rekons that it was total crap, sopposedly none of the coolant jackets lined up straight and that kinda stuff.....he ended up putting it on anyways(prolly to do with the fact of how much money he spent on it.) and it pretty well started leaking straight away....he ended up getting a custom one made out of copper and works a treat...but then again this is only what i heard...
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:might be getting a st202 Beams half cut...what u guys want from it!!!!
Next Topic:LOWERING HEIGHT HELP
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 01:41:55 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0051751136779785 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.