Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Bonsai plants Mon, 28 February 2005 11:07 Go to next message
Anyone else here into bonsai's?

Something I've only started messing around with recently, and I'm hooked! Having trouble getting one little sucker to take root on the side of a rock. Any tips?
  Send a private message to this user    
Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Re: Bonsai plants Mon, 28 February 2005 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No experience with them but I think they look VERY cool. Would be really interested to some photos of your work when you get a chance Smile
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Bonsai plants Mon, 28 February 2005 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was actually just about to post up some pickies Smile
mikey93
Regular

December 2004
Re: Bonsai plants Mon, 28 February 2005 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm seems that everyone is into them these days.. everyone at work is asking me where to get them.. i directed bunnings lol

i should give it a go.

what stuff have you created mate?>
Kodoku
Regular

January 2005
Re: Bonsai plants Mon, 28 February 2005 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had two, I thought they were cool ever since I saw the Karate kid, but both of them died on me... Sad so I decided not to kill any more innocent bonsais and I gave up on them... I was going to take bonsai classes but they were $50 per session, I even read books, but I am a visual person and I actually need to see it how it's done, step by step... I might take it up again when I am grey and old...

[Updated on: Mon, 28 February 2005 13:15]

Sprinter-Saurus
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Bonsai plants Mon, 28 February 2005 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive seen them quite a few times on burkes backyard over the years and i reckon they look simply awesome, have always meant to buy a few and give it a go, ive read a bit about them, might have a look around on the weekend. Smile
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Bonsai plants Mon, 28 February 2005 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've only been into them for about a year or so. It's so much fun!

I started out with a regular little bonsai - pre packaged kinda jobby. All pretty much done for me. All you have to do is water it. After a while it started growing so I had to prune it, and then I started training it a bit, and trying to grow moss on it. Here's how it's going so far:

http://members.iinet.net.au/~josh_and_sarah/Bonsai/bonsai003.jpg

The ugly coat hanger is just a temporary training device until I can wind some wire around the stem properly.

With my second one I started trying to give it that windswept, flowing off to one side look. The moss hasn't taken as well as my first, but it's looking pretty good otherwise:

http://members.iinet.net.au/~josh_and_sarah/Bonsai/bonsai015.jpg

Then I started messing around with a gum tree. I found a sickly little weeping gum hybrid that was stunted at my local nursery, so I picked him up for like $3. I've only done a very slight prune on him and exposed the roots so far. Once that settles, I'm going to prune it right back, and grow it on a small rock next to a little rockpool. Here's it so far with just the roots exposed:

http://members.iinet.net.au/~josh_and_sarah/Bonsai/bonsai006.jpg

http://members.iinet.net.au/~josh_and_sarah/Bonsai/bonsai007.jpg

And for my latest creation I'm trying to get a sucker to take hold on a rock. I put a little bit of scrub next to it, and I'm hoping both will take root there.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~josh_and_sarah/Bonsai/bonsai016.jpg

there's a few more pics at http://members.iinet.net.au/~josh_and_sarah/
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Bonsai plants Mon, 28 February 2005 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There's is only one thing you need to know about looking after bonsai's:

WATER THEM CONSTANTLY!

Because they're so small and the soil/root area is so tiny, they dry up REALLY quickly and need all the nutrients they can get. It's pretty much impossable to over-water them (unless you blast them so hard it washes all the soil away!).

I water mine 2-3 times a day. First thing in the morning, first thing when I get home, and then again before bed. If I could water them any more than that I would too.
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Bonsai plants Mon, 28 February 2005 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
exploit the tree's habit of going towards the sun - tilt the tray so to grow straight up towads the light the plant has to climb over the rock - you might have to remove the root stock from the tray and wrap it in hessian and then plastic so you can keep moisture up to it.

also - get some proper bonsai wire - it's usually copper but there is also some aluminium wire that's suitable i think - by wrapping the trunk as opposed to pulling it from one spot you'll get a stronger/safer bend without stressing one point of the trunk up to breaking point. That coathanger might do more damage than good.

novel hobby for car enthusiasts - but they're a relaxing distraction specially when light rain sets in for a few days.
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Bonsai plants Mon, 28 February 2005 20:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes I was into Bonsai when I was at school and I have just got back into them again now that I'm older. I've (almost) finished the landscaping at home and I have set aside an area that will be the Bonsai Garden. Basically a little area that will have a little Japanese plant theme (Nanas, few variaties of bamboo etc) with little pedistools for my Bonsai plants to sit. It will be set up to be it's own little eco system and gets watered Via irrigation twice a day. I only have 2 bonsai's started at the moment. One of which is a conifer in the shape of a Question mark (?) that will eventually have that wind swept look and the other is 2 Japanese Maples in one large pot that I'm hoping I can twist together as they grow.

For the Bonsai on the rock is there any type of soil around the root zone or the like or are you trying to get the roots to grow over the rock to the soil?

A good way I found to get a nice looking Bonsai started (rather than starting with a twig in a pot) is to find a neighbour, friend, parents garden with suitable trees (Conifer, Maple etc)
find a branch that has a desired shape already to it, strip the twigs off where you would want to plant it and get some of the offcut starter dust, apply, wrap in soil with a hessian bag to stop soil falling out and add the water crystals to hold water there. some trees will sprout roots there and if they do you cut off the branch, pot it, trim it for a nice looking bonsai from a young age. (this seems to be the way most of the commercial bonsai are created for sale in bunnings etc.

Also if you want to display them inside don't keep them indoors arway from light for more than 2 weeks, if you have several bonsai, cycle them on a weekly basis and keep the others outside and WELL WATERED.

Here ends lesson 1...... that will be $50 bucks Cool
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Bonsai plants Mon, 28 February 2005 22:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had to throw a whole bunch of them out the other day.

My grandfather was big into them and had 40 odd trees, he lost them in the fires 2 years ago. Some of them lived on for a bit but the smoke damage was too much.

It was one of the hardest things I have ever done. Standing next to my grandfather cutting a 40-50 year old tree out of its pot and throwing it in the rubbish pile.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Bonsai plants Tue, 01 March 2005 00:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was into bonsai for a while. There was a cheap bonsai nursery up near The Entrance that I went to (they also have free classes one Sunday a month).

My bonsai were killed when the missus watered them with Windex... Freak No No No Skull - Mad
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Bonsai plants Tue, 01 March 2005 00:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thechuckster: Yeah I know the coat hanger is no good. Just a tempory thing till I can get some more training wire.

At the moment I'm hoping the roots will grow over the rock and down into the soil. It's hard to see from the pics, but a number of the roots are already over the rock and in the soil. It's just getting the others to grow down there that's the trick. Currently the main section of the root base is held onto the rock with muck while the roots grow down.

[Updated on: Tue, 01 March 2005 00:30]

RA28midge
Regular

September 2002
Re: Bonsai plants Wed, 02 March 2005 02:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i found a good way to get the leaves smaller and more to scale with the rest of the tree for the mortin bay fig trees is to peel the pink skin off the leaves before it falls off naturally. You just have to give it a little twist and then pull up. If you have a look you should know what I mean. It will bleed sap a little when you do it but shouldn't be a problem.
I had a few but all died over several years due to cats peeing on them, underwatering, not enough sunshine etc etc...
Now I am in Japan it is unreal to see them around, this guy next door to us has all these tiny temples and heaps of bonsai all around them. to make a mountain landscape
http://users.chariot.net.au/~andromi/EveryDay/nicegarden.jpg
The photo isn't so good, but you can get the idea.
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Bonsai plants Wed, 02 March 2005 02:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wow that garden is awesome! We're probably looking at about 5 generations of bonsai work there Shocked

[Updated on: Wed, 02 March 2005 02:40]

joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Bonsai plants Wed, 02 March 2005 03:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And I don't suppose you could elaborate a bit on how to stunt the growth of the leaves? I didn't quite follow you.

If it helps, the plant I am wanting smaller leaves on is the Port Jackson Fig in the first picture. I couldn't see the "pink skin" on the leaves that you were talking about.
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Bonsai plants Wed, 02 March 2005 04:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nice ficus you got there joorsh..... My first one was teh same.

Here's some pics I took recently:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/AE86slut/DSC00388.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/AE86slut/DSC00387.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/AE86slut/DSC00386.jpg
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Bonsai plants Wed, 02 March 2005 04:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/AE86slut/DSC00385.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/AE86slut/DSC00384.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/AE86slut/DSC00383.jpg
unforgiven
Forums Junkie

February 2005
Re: Bonsai plants Wed, 02 March 2005 04:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There so awesome, they look exactly the same as the regular size tree's.

http://www.ecomcity.com/bonsai_maple.jpg
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Bonsai plants Wed, 02 March 2005 04:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For the Sydney guys, if you want to view some nice ones and get some ideas or supplies, Palm Land at Terrey Hills has a bonsai nursery. There's also a beautiful Japanese style garden as well as some small shops with cool Balinese stuff in them and a great restaurant (the Buddha Belly) there.
thevelvetgreasemonkey
Occasional Poster

January 2004
Re: Bonsai plants Wed, 02 March 2005 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's most excellent to see more people into the world of little trees but those ones at Bunnings for sale i find to be offensive. I've been into the bonsai thing for almost 10 years and most you see for sale are purely just a small plant or shrub in a pot with little or no effort to shape them correctly.

Quote:

There's is only one thing you need to know about looking after bonsai's:

WATER THEM CONSTANTLY!

Because they're so small and the soil/root area is so tiny, they dry up REALLY quickly and need all the nutrients they can get. It's pretty much impossable to over-water them (unless you blast them so hard it washes all the soil away!).

I water mine 2-3 times a day. First thing in the morning, first thing when I get home, and then again before bed. If I could water them any more than that I would too. Grin

Shocked Shocked
Dude this is actually one of the best ways to kill the little guys. If the tree never dries out the roots don't get enough oxygen and will eventually start to rot if you don't have good enough drainage. If your worried about nutrients give them some liquid fertiliser or some pellets at half strength.

Hey AE86slut those big white marble looking rectangular trays are kick ass and those rocks too. I've been looking for some like that for a while, what did they set you back?

Keep up the tree huggin people!..............Chris

[Updated on: Wed, 02 March 2005 09:43]

RA28midge
Regular

September 2002
Re: Bonsai plants Mon, 07 March 2005 02:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There are some pretty good bonsai examples in those pictures.

With the fig when the new leaves start to sprout there should be a skin around the leaves- I can't remember, I thought it was pinkish but may be yellow. it looks like it is growing up as a spike. Give it a gentle twist, be careful not to take the whole leaf off.
Hope that helps.
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Bonsai plants Mon, 07 March 2005 04:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They are amazing !!
I don't have the patience for bonsai but i like the whole mini landscape thing.
My mates dad has bonsai on his model train set.
it looks sooooo real
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Bonsai plants Mon, 14 March 2005 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stick with cars fellas ...
jackel
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Bonsai plants Mon, 14 March 2005 18:56 Go to previous message
do they need lots of sunlight or can they be kept inside or anything....i want some now
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:one less commodore
Next Topic:who else watches Neon Genesis Evangelion
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 18:43:37 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0067410469055176 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.