Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
187_20v
Regular

October 2004
flat spot on 20v Wed, 02 March 2005 07:31 Go to next message
i notice this a few days bak when im driving on 5th gear comeing from 2500rpm to 3000rpm it doent go even with my foot down it just slowly goes up but afte 3000rpm it goes fine . what could be the problem ???
  Send a private message to this user    
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: flat spot on 20v Wed, 02 March 2005 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
187_20v wrote on Wed, 02 March 2005 18:31

i notice this a few days bak when im driving on 5th gear comeing from 2500rpm to 3000rpm it doent go even with my foot down it just slowly goes up but afte 3000rpm it goes fine . what could be the problem ???

What ecu you using, maybe a hole in the fuel map but im thinking it would do what you describe in any gear,

Ill go away now.

Cheers

Steve
tobyoste
Occasional Poster

February 2004
Re: flat spot on 20v Wed, 02 March 2005 21:17 Go to previous message
I had a flat spot on throttle application and slight "run on" on throttle reduction with my 20v. It also combined with intermittent periods (several days) of lower power running.

It turned out to be a problem with the HT wiring. One HT lead was open circuit (but still obviously allowing the plug to fire as the motor didn't run that rough) and the contacts inside the distributor cap had a thin oxide coating that didn't conduct well.

After cleaning the contacts inside the distributor cap with a small file (being careful not to file off any more than nesessary of the oxide coating - if virtually flaked off), I got the biggest improvement. The leads were not replaced for a few more days as it took a few days to identify the replacement lead set from Repco (Toyota leads were $290 a set!).

Clearly the spark was not strong enough to get good burn under load (such as when I put my foot down). The higher the load, the harder it is for the air-fuel mixture to burn and hence the better the spark is needed. That is why modern high compression motors have such good ignition systems.

Anyway, I don't know if this is your problem but I suggest you check the resistence in your HT leads (should be less than 25k Ohm per lead - see here: http://www.onthenet.com.au/~paulp/Blacktop/bt5-ig. pdf).

I'd also check the inside of your distributor cap.

Regards,

Toby
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Sprinter Trueno engine conversion
Next Topic:HELP with vacuum lines after swap
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 07:40:35 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0047171115875244 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.