Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » optimax = shit ?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
duff_boy
Regular

January 2005
optimax = shit ? Wed, 02 March 2005 06:00 Go to next message
i filled my 4-AGE rolla up with optimax bout 5-6 days ago... so far ive only driven bout 100kms off that tank of fuel... anyways for the last couple of day my car hardly starts. When i kick it over it lights up after bout 2-3 seconds but then it drops to like 500rpm and chokes and splutters for bout 3 seconds before the engine speeds up to proper idle speed. WTF, the only thing i can put it down to doing this is the optimax. I think the car might be pinging aswell, how do u tell exactly?
  Send a private message to this user    
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: optimax = shit ? Wed, 02 March 2005 06:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
To tell its pinging wind down your window and stick your head out of it when driving.You'll hear it when its under load, and you'll definitely know. Yeah, its probs the optimax its really crap and never consistant with RON ratings.I used to run it but realised it was shit so run Vortex now and have had no problems with pinging and i get better economy - it also cleans as you go!

so in short, yes optimiax is shit and dont touch it with a 10 foot clown pole

Cya
duff_boy
Regular

January 2005
Re: optimax = shit ? Wed, 02 March 2005 06:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wat do i listen for? i've been told its a 'rumbling' kinda noise, correct?
finney
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: optimax = shit ? Wed, 02 March 2005 06:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'm fairly sure that the 4AGE only needs 95 ron petrol.
i mainly use BP premium (95) and occcasionaly put in a tank of ultimate. i had a similar problem with optimax, used it once and it ran like shit, never tried it again.

has anyone here tried the 98 vortex yet? any changes in economy? i've always found that the tank of ultimate will get me a few more km's over the 95, but nothing to really rave about.
FWDCelica
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: optimax = shit ? Wed, 02 March 2005 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
duff_boy wrote on Wed, 02 March 2005 17:00

I think the car might be pinging aswell, how do u tell exactly?

Drive up a steep hill in say 4th gear, slow down to 20 km/h then try to accelerate by flooring the throttle. (but stay in 4th gear).
The rattling/ticking noise you hear is pinging.(Or "pinking" to give it its' correct name)
coFF33
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: optimax = shit ? Wed, 02 March 2005 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i can tell you exactly what pining sounds like as my AE82 seca had a HUGE problem with pinging

basically think of a empty paint tin with a marble in it getting shaken in a paint shaker

mine used to do it when going up hill or mainly from 50 - 70kph

very very annoying .. ended up getting the hot tip from a guy at Ultra-Tune to use 98Octane fuels insted of regular.

FIXED ! Very Happy
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: optimax = shit ? Wed, 02 March 2005 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've tried the new vortex 98.. seems pretty good but then my car doesn't ping on any of the 98 RON fuels.

Pinging sounds sort of like if you were to throw a small pebble into a tin can.

Personally I don't think that there is much difference between Mobil 8000, BP Ultimate, Vortex 98, Shell Optimax etc.

I have found the biggest differences in fuel quality are between individual service stations...
i.e. some service stations obviously have contaminated tanks

The best fuel seems to come from the really really new service stations.

When I choose a service station its usually based on how new the station is and what sort of pumps they have... any service station which has pumps where the filler sticks into the side of the pump or which has an analogue gauge is a definite no go for me.
Arch
Forums Junkie

January 2004

Re: optimax = shit ? Wed, 02 March 2005 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Only buy ultimate, and your problems will go away, its the BEST fuel bar none.
dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: optimax = shit ? Wed, 02 March 2005 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toobs wrote on Wed, 02 March 2005 19:18

When I choose a service station its usually based on how new the station is and what sort of pumps they have... any service station which has pumps where the filler sticks into the side of the pump or which has an analogue gauge is a definite no go for me.

i've noticed that too, i used to use this one particular Shell which i no longer use because the car runs like shit Surprised
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: optimax = shit ? Wed, 02 March 2005 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
optimax = shit

this is correct
paulw85
Regular

February 2005
Re: optimax = shit ? Wed, 02 March 2005 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im going to try vortex 98, then ultumate.
drft spec - st167
Regular

November 2003
Re: optimax = shit ? Wed, 02 March 2005 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
working for similar industries all the petrol is basically the same, (im not sure but i reckon they sell petrol to each other instead of wasting money trasnporting to another state where a competior has a refinery - saves huge transport costs) if anything shell has highest quality in aus due to numerous process imrpovements compared to overseas plants.

issues with garages tanks being contaminated and water/ethanol are up to the indivudal garages which is probably where the problem lies.

the shell petrol thats comes out is all in a certain specification, if not it is blended to obtain these specs before sold as petroleum or reprocessed.

so perhaps soem water/stuff that has been in the servo tank has caused the trouble, i know once and a while i get a bad batch but process indsutries themself follow very high qulaity standards!!!

duff_boy
Regular

January 2005
Re: optimax = shit ? Thu, 03 March 2005 05:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
meh, only ultimate for my car, now...
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: optimax = shit ? Thu, 03 March 2005 06:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
only ever buy any fuel from busy service stations on main roads.

problem solved.
Celia-Sue
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: optimax = shit ? Thu, 03 March 2005 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Heya! I've just found a station close to home that sells Vortex. Yay Smile . Is it all 98, or are there different levels of Vorterx? And how does it stack-up to ti's BP cousin?

cheers,

Justin
paulw85
Regular

February 2005
Re: optimax = shit ? Thu, 03 March 2005 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vortex = 95, vortex98 = err 98

ive put a tank of v98 in my car, seeing how it goes.
1G-GTE KE70
Regular

December 2004
Re: optimax = shit ? Thu, 03 March 2005 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
optimax = dodgy
vortex = mainly for cleaning
BP ultimate = good shit
LPG = T3H 51KK357
Celia-Sue
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: optimax = shit ? Thu, 03 March 2005 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1G-GTE KE70 wrote on Thu, 03 March 2005 20:46

Please explain?

1G-GTE KE70
Regular

December 2004
Re: optimax = shit ? Thu, 03 March 2005 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well it's a higher octane than normal unleaded so the higher the octane the more it cleans your engine but it's not high enough octane to really make it go that much faster.

obviously it's not a huge difference between petrols but out of all of them ultimate is the best.

I dunno if you guys know how they make petrol but they like get crude oil in big vats and 'cook' it until the crud seperates and the petrolly stuff settles on top.

BP ultimate is taken from higher up than all the other petrols so it has less dodgy crud in it.

or something like that Razz
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: optimax = shit ? Thu, 03 March 2005 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

optimax = dodgy
BP ultimate = good shit
LPG = T3H 51KK357

LPG= Bad

used for cleaning?? yes just like all premium petrol can help with keeping injectors clean etc
paulw85
Regular

February 2005
Re: optimax = shit ? Thu, 03 March 2005 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
waht abvout v98? thats obviously 98 octane, but how wouldnt it burn better?

and what octane rateing is bp u?
1G-GTE KE70
Regular

December 2004
Re: optimax = shit ? Thu, 03 March 2005 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mick wrote on Thu, 03 March 2005 20:02

optimax = dodgy
BP ultimate = good shit
LPG = T3H 51KK357

LPG= Bad

used for cleaning?? yes just like all premium petrol can help with keeping injectors clean etc

LPG = TEH SIKKEST (my car is lpg and it's damn cheap and is good)

haha nah i didn't mean you use vortex for cleaning as in like when you pull your engine apart wack some vortex on there and get scrubbing. all higher octane petrols clean but it isn't high enough to make your car have that much more power.
Celia-Sue
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: optimax = shit ? Thu, 03 March 2005 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

So Ultimax is superior to V98?

TIA,

Justin
1G-GTE KE70
Regular

December 2004
Re: optimax = shit ? Thu, 03 March 2005 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well it has less scum than all the other petrols due to it being 'harvested' from higher in the crud vat

edit: didn't see that you were talking about vortex 98 sorry. but yeah ultimate is purer

[Updated on: Thu, 03 March 2005 10:15]

paulw85
Regular

February 2005
Re: optimax = shit ? Thu, 03 March 2005 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so bp:u must be 100 octane??

because i was talking about vortex98 which is 98 octane.
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: optimax = shit ? Thu, 03 March 2005 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1G-GTE KE70 wrote on Thu, 03 March 2005 21:06

mick wrote on Thu, 03 March 2005 20:02

optimax = dodgy
BP ultimate = good shit
LPG = T3H 51KK357

LPG= Bad

LPG = TEH SIKKEST (my car is lpg and it's damn cheap and is good)

haha nah i didn't mean you use vortex for cleaning as in like when you pull your engine apart wack some vortex on there and get scrubbing. all higher octane petrols clean but it isn't high enough to make your car have that much more power.

thats right. I hardly run my car on higher octain fuel but here and then I will. I don't think it gives the car heaps more power myself.

you have a point there with LPG it is cheap.

BP ultimate has an octain rating of 98. Fuels Fuel if you ask me. Ultimate, Optimax and Vortex same shit
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: optimax = shit ? Thu, 03 March 2005 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The best ever fuel was SUPER
1G-GTE KE70
Regular

December 2004
Re: optimax = shit ? Thu, 03 March 2005 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nah brother... diesel is the best.........

Confused
Celia-Sue
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: optimax = shit ? Thu, 03 March 2005 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Avgas Razz
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: optimax = shit ? Thu, 03 March 2005 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I always thought diesel was the left overs when they made petrol?? Confused

The reason why I think super was the best is the fact it smelt alot better then unleaded, and didn't blow smoke everywhere like diesel, can't see myself how both unleaded and diesel are bettter for the enviroment? Confused
1G-GTE KE70
Regular

December 2004
Re: optimax = shit ? Thu, 03 March 2005 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the flintstones feet
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: optimax = shit ? Thu, 03 March 2005 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1G-GTE KE70 wrote on Thu, 03 March 2005 21:22

the flintstones feet

Laughing just start running and Yabba Dabba Do!!!
paulw85
Regular

February 2005
Re: optimax = shit ? Thu, 03 March 2005 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
walk!

Razz
Celia-Sue
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: optimax = shit ? Thu, 03 March 2005 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1G-GTE KE70 wrote on Thu, 03 March 2005 21:22

the flintstones feet

Nah, we're talking cutting-edge forced induction hi-tech FTL* on the Toymods list!

Justin

FTL: Faster Than Legs

[EDIT: Long comparative review between power & durability of 7MGTE and Fred Flinstone's feet deleted.]

[Updated on: Thu, 03 March 2005 10:30]

mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: optimax = shit ? Thu, 03 March 2005 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I seen a good sticker on the back of a Suzuki Swift

PLEASE STOP HONKING!!

I'M PEDALLING AS FAST AS I CAN!
1G-GTE KE70
Regular

December 2004
Re: optimax = shit ? Thu, 03 March 2005 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HAHAHAHA That's awesome
Julz
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: optimax = shit ? Thu, 03 March 2005 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

has anyone here tried the 98 vortex yet?
I did the other week, and I was really impressed. Especially in the bike, I feel it's better than Ultimate (at least this batch was). The car has never run better either, mind you I seldom put premium in the car.
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
wtf is a jabber? a punch line?
Re: optimax = shit ? Thu, 03 March 2005 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is it me or is 95 vortex cheaper? normaly like 5cents more than normal unleaded... and optimax/ultimate is like 10-12cents more?
Big T
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: optimax = shit ? Thu, 03 March 2005 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rthy wrote on Fri, 04 March 2005 00:54

optimax/ultimate is like 10-12cents more?

Whoa! Not sure about Melbourne but in Sydney, Ultimate/Optimax go for 9c per litre more expensive than regular. Mobil 8000 is the most expensive I've heard. There's another thread about this sort of thing here:

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=43137&start=0&rid=7123&S=a0d008ee0a4 cf21c38553e9571535c40

Eddie.
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: optimax = shit ? Thu, 03 March 2005 23:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've read posts from people sh!tcanning EVERY TYPE of premium petrol available. Thing is, there's always a few people who chime-in and agree, with their own tales of pinging/lost performance. Sad

It seems to Me that you can pick up a bad tankfull of ANYTING, ANYTIME - I guess the lesson is to try another servo next tank to see if it's just a case of contaminated/old/mixed-down PULP that you've got.

My new baby (R33 GTS-T) is strictly 98ron-only, and I've used Optimax, Mobil 8000 and BP Ultimate from a variety of servos - never had a problem with any of them.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: optimax = shit ? Thu, 03 March 2005 23:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i pretty much solely use ultimate in my car unless i'm broke then I use optimax cos of 4 cents a litre off. Before doing my advanced dirver training course I put optimax in, and the car was just a little bit more sluggish, not as responsive and didn't get good economy, then next week i put ultimate in, and the responsive was back, it is really noticable when sitting say 3K in second gear exiting a roundabout and planting it on the way out.
I used Lrp from shell last week and found it to actually be better in performance than optimax pretty much on par with ultimate but the economy is shit.
I get about 15-18L per 100km on Lrp and optimax, and 12-15L per 100km on ultimate. I have never used synergy 8000 the local mobil doesn't stock it and haven't touched vortex 98 yet, i might try and see what happens.

[Updated on: Fri, 04 March 2005 00:04]

joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: optimax = shit ? Thu, 03 March 2005 23:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had a cranky old shitter turbo exa, and I found everything made it ping except for mobile 8000 and BP ultimate. Since then that's all I use. Not the most accurate way of measuring fuel quality I know, but I figured the lack of pinging means they must be doing something right.

[EDIT] By "everything" I mean the other high octane fuels available. vortex, optimax, etc - they all made it ping.

[Updated on: Thu, 03 March 2005 23:55]

Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: optimax = shit ? Fri, 04 March 2005 00:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a mate I used to work with had a corolla with a 7afe ported heads, cams exhaust etc and he said he could only run ultimate otherwise it would ping, however he would be in the same boat as me that we don't have access to the Synergy 8000 fuel, so it's really a battle between optimax vs ultimate, until recently when vortex 98 came out.
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: optimax = shit ? Fri, 04 March 2005 04:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Optimax has changed formulas in the last couple of months.

My tuner was logging my car a couple of weeks ago and said that the timing retard *there* was because of the optimax and told me to change to BP Ultimate. Same logging run - no timing retard (knock sensor detects *kinda* before pinging occurs). He noticed it a couple of months ago and after that told all his customers to change to Ultimate (before he (and I) was an avid supporter of Optimax).

So yes optimax is now shit. If you have a car that was highly tuned on optimax (like mine) it will now be SLIGHTLY worse off (the retard was tiny), unless you change to BP Ultimate.
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: optimax = shit ? Fri, 04 March 2005 04:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Seems to be a lot of support for Ultimate here. myself fuel is fuel. I work with someone who reckons BP is the dirtiest fuel going. I think it's just mixed opinions myself. In the end it's all the same
studman
Occasional Poster

On Probation

March 2005
Re: optimax = shit ? Fri, 04 March 2005 04:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I use woolworths petty and hav had no probs at all, my car is pretty fast to
1G-GTE KE70
Regular

December 2004
Re: optimax = shit ? Fri, 04 March 2005 05:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my mum used to use that stuff in her stock EF fairmont but she reckons her car went through it quicker than other petrol? I dunno but.
EnFlaMEd
Regular

September 2003
Re: optimax = shit ? Fri, 04 March 2005 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
go LPG!

Cooler engine and turbine temps. Higher safe boost levels. More octane. More cash in pocket (my fj20t costs usually less than $20 per 300kms) Can fuck the computer off and run aftermarket shit with out needing a $2500 ecu eg. cams. Tuning is easy because its one screw to adjust the mixture.

However
Hardened head components are essential such as valves etc and possibly an oil squirter into the plenum. And gas smells like shit.

I reckon vortex is good premium.
paulw85
Regular

February 2005
Re: optimax = shit ? Mon, 07 March 2005 07:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vortex 98 has made the cressida go alot better
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: optimax = shit ? Mon, 07 March 2005 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
st184 sillycar wrote on Fri, 04 March 2005 10:19

I've read posts from people sh!tcanning EVERY TYPE of premium petrol available. Thing is, there's always a few people who chime-in and agree, with their own tales of pinging/lost performance. Sad

It seems to Me that you can pick up a bad tankfull of ANYTING, ANYTIME - I guess the lesson is to try another servo next tank to see if it's just a case of contaminated/old/mixed-down PULP that you've got.

<--IM WITH STUPID

(i agree)
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: optimax = shit ? Mon, 07 March 2005 08:05 Go to previous message
Justin,
Here in Perth we don't really have a choice, the only 98RON fuel we have is Ultimate. I think the best advice to come up from this thread was to pick servos that are fairly new, and have a high turnover.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:TRD Modifications Manual for AE86 Trueno
Next Topic:Any one know a site
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 11:37:54 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0093059539794922 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.