Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » MA61 brake/suspension/wheel upgrade - pics!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
MA61 brake/suspension/wheel upgrade - pics! Sun, 13 February 2005 15:00 Go to next message
OK I finally got off my arse and uploaded the whole MA61 front-end upgrade saga. In a nutshell I fitted JZX81 coilover struts, camber plates, BA Falcon disc rotors, R33 Skyline calipers, and 17x8 +25 Skyline rims. It sounds pretty simple when you say it like that, but believe me it was anything but simple making it actually work. Rolling Eyes

Clicky-clicky

So was it worth it? In a word, yes. The front end behaves far better when compared to the old setup (Kings springs and KYB shocks), and with 3 degrees of camber the mid-corner grip is amazing. The brakes have already copped a good hammering and I haven't been able to make them fade yet - even with a couple of hard stops from over 200km/h. Am I a happy camper? Happy, but poor as well.

Still to come is the rear 5-stud conversion so I can fit my 17x9 rims. I've already installed the MS123 Crown hubs on a spare set of trailing arms, and I've sent the discs to an engineering shop to be re-drilled. With any luck I'll have them back some time this week.

Oh, big thanks to John Duel from ImportBitz who did the R&D for the brake upgrade and helped me figure out how to make it work in a MA61. He also sourced some uber-cheap coilovers ex-Japan. Onya John. Smile

Now behold the bling!
http://members.optusnet.com.au/norbee/BrakeUpgrade/CamberFixed2.jpg
  Send a private message to this user    
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: MA61 brake/suspension/wheel upgrade - pics! Sun, 13 February 2005 15:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Very nice work as always Norbie!!
rsdeo
Regular

January 2004
Re: MA61 brake/suspension/wheel upgrade - pics! Sun, 13 February 2005 15:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looking good Norbie. Good work.
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: MA61 brake/suspension/wheel upgrade - pics! Sun, 13 February 2005 20:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good to see that it is sorted.

Can't wait to see the rears on and will happily partner R&D costs to do rear coilover ....
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: MA61 brake/suspension/wheel upgrade - pics! Sun, 13 February 2005 20:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I

Want

Those

Rims...

!!!

*drools*
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: MA61 brake/suspension/wheel upgrade - pics! Sun, 13 February 2005 23:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looks sweet man! Congratulations Razz

What rims you have on the rear at the moment?
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: MA61 brake/suspension/wheel upgrade - pics! Mon, 14 February 2005 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are you going to get this engineered?
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: MA61 brake/suspension/wheel upgrade - pics! Mon, 14 February 2005 00:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anyone tryed those calipers on an RA40 strut?
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: MA61 brake/suspension/wheel upgrade - pics! Mon, 14 February 2005 00:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shane (cool1) was doing something with BA rotors + mazda calipers + RA40 struts ... i think ... but htat was on a leetle TA not a supramonster.

[Updated on: Mon, 14 February 2005 00:57]

Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: MA61 brake/suspension/wheel upgrade - pics! Mon, 14 February 2005 01:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah just looking for something to stick under the front of the ma45 thats cheap, easy and 5 stud friendly... otherwise its uzz31 rotors and calipers (to allow for JZA80 bolt on's later...)

Allan
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: MA61 brake/suspension/wheel upgrade - pics! Mon, 14 February 2005 01:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Allan wrote on Mon, 14 February 2005 10:57

anyone tryed those calipers on an RA40 strut?

I used RA60 struts, and the caliper spacing is the same, but you get a bonus 2.5 degree neg camber for next to nix !!!

Dunno what the difference is between RA40 and RA60 is though

Cheers

Michael B
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: MA61 brake/suspension/wheel upgrade - pics! Mon, 14 February 2005 01:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmm will have to check that out
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 brake/suspension/wheel upgrade - pics! Mon, 14 February 2005 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rear rims are currently the stock 14x7's. Yes it looks stupid.

I've already spoken to my engineer about this, and yes it will be fully certified and street-legal. This will be done as soon as the rear wheels are on.

bbaacchhyy, unforuntately there is a major difference between those struts. I put RA60 struts in my RA23 (essentially the same suspension as the RA40) and it was positive camber city. Sad
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: MA61 brake/suspension/wheel upgrade - pics! Mon, 14 February 2005 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its funny how easy it is to swap toyota stuff around isnt it Smile

actually norbie i noticed you have a similar feature to me in terms of your castor plates. If you swap the plates from left to right you will gain more castor Wink

I did it with mine and got an extra deg.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 brake/suspension/wheel upgrade - pics! Mon, 14 February 2005 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes I noticed that too, but because of the design of those plates I would have got less camber. Maximum camber was the idea so that's why I put them in that way!
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: MA61 brake/suspension/wheel upgrade - pics! Mon, 14 February 2005 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm with mine it doesent matter because when you rotate it around the longest face still gives max camber, the only difference is instead of the slot bieng close to the front of the car its closer to the rear

EDIT: maybe my explanation was crap... when i said rotate i meant take it off the right shock and mount it on the left one and vice-versa

EDIT2: when doing this you may have to slot or redrill one mount hole.. usually the one closest to the engine

[Updated on: Mon, 14 February 2005 09:41]

bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: MA61 brake/suspension/wheel upgrade - pics! Mon, 14 February 2005 20:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Mon, 14 February 2005 19:43

bbaacchhyy, unforuntately there is a major difference between those struts. I put RA60 struts in my RA23 (essentially the same suspension as the RA40) and it was positive camber city. Sad

So if you put MA61 struts in , it would be even worse ???

The RA60 units gave an EXTRA -2.5 degrees camber over the MA61 (Thanks to Ed_MA61 for that tip)
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 brake/suspension/wheel upgrade - pics! Wed, 23 February 2005 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
** BUMP!! **

I have added part 3 to the saga; the MS123 hubs are installed and the 17x9 uber-dish rims are fitted. How does it look? In a word, PHAT.

Clicky-clicky

http://members.optusnet.com.au/norbee/BrakeUpgrade/WheelsFitted4.jpg
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: MA61 brake/suspension/wheel upgrade - pics! Wed, 23 February 2005 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That looks sweet man Smile
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: MA61 brake/suspension/wheel upgrade - pics! Wed, 23 February 2005 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is it really a smart idea to install bling when you arent going to clean it!

Looks PHAT...."with a ph!"
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 brake/suspension/wheel upgrade - pics! Wed, 23 February 2005 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oi, those photos were taken just after I cleaned it! Razz
dispatcher
Regular

July 2002
Re: MA61 brake/suspension/wheel upgrade - pics! Wed, 23 February 2005 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Superbly done norbie
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: MA61 brake/suspension/wheel upgrade - pics! Wed, 23 February 2005 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
soooo hows it handle/stop?? vid's and pics bitch!!!
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: MA61 brake/suspension/wheel upgrade - pics! Wed, 23 February 2005 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I dont see any mention of a small stuff up that was made and then quickly rectified hehehe
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: MA61 brake/suspension/wheel upgrade - pics! Wed, 23 February 2005 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How/where did you score R33 GTST calipers for $220? Best I've found is $350 Sad

If you have any contacts please help me out!
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 brake/suspension/wheel upgrade - pics! Wed, 23 February 2005 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Allan: handles and stops brilliantly, massive improvement over the stock setup. It would want to be after all the money I've spent though! Vids will be forthcoming when I take it to Qld Raceway for a few laps, hopefully in the not too distant future.

Shane: I was trying to keep my stupidity under wraps. Embarassed

joorsh: I got the contact details here on ToyMods, can't remember where from exactly but if you do a search you might have better luck than me finding it.
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: MA61 brake/suspension/wheel upgrade - pics! Wed, 23 February 2005 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah those rear brakes have great stoping power mid intersection Embarassed
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 brake/suspension/wheel upgrade - pics! Wed, 23 February 2005 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Actually I think Shane was talking about another shameful incident. The "brake-a-matic" thing happened later.

Embarassed Embarassed
rsdeo
Regular

January 2004
Re: MA61 brake/suspension/wheel upgrade - pics! Wed, 23 February 2005 20:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sweet!
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: MA61 brake/suspension/wheel upgrade - pics! Wed, 23 February 2005 21:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Wed, 23 February 2005 23:06

joorsh: I got the contact details here on ToyMods, can't remember where from exactly but if you do a search you might have better luck than me finding it.

Josh,

Look for it in my BBK thread, it is in there and it is a place in Sydney too.

Norbs,

Good to hear, but I can't see the pics as work as banned the site Crying or Very Sad Oh, and what stupidity.....

Cheers

Michael B
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: MA61 brake/suspension/wheel upgrade - pics! Wed, 23 February 2005 23:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nice work!

Looks like the hard work (and moneys) has paid off bigtime Smile
Purple_Beasty
Regular

May 2002
Re: MA61 brake/suspension/wheel upgrade - pics! Thu, 24 February 2005 00:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There is some annoying stuff trying to download itself from that link Norbie, might want to have a look at it.

Callum
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 brake/suspension/wheel upgrade - pics! Thu, 24 February 2005 02:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There's nothing wrong with that link, it's a straight html page hosted on an Optus server. Maybe you should check your PC for trojans? Smile
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: MA61 brake/suspension/wheel upgrade - pics! Thu, 24 February 2005 03:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Working fine for me - sounds like someone needs to do a virus scan!!

www.trendmicro.com.au <-- free online virus scanning right there.
rsdeo
Regular

January 2004
Re: MA61 brake/suspension/wheel upgrade - pics! Thu, 24 February 2005 04:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie, what offset are the rear 17x9 wheels?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 brake/suspension/wheel upgrade - pics! Thu, 24 February 2005 04:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
All of them are +25mm. Clearance is a bit tight on the rear wheels (closest part is the trailing arm) but as stated there is no scraping even at maximum squat. Front wheels wouldn't have a chance of fitting with the MA61 struts, but with the JZX81 setup it just squeezes in.
rsdeo
Regular

January 2004
Re: MA61 brake/suspension/wheel upgrade - pics! Fri, 25 February 2005 20:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Wed, 23 February 2005 23:55

All of them are +25mm. Clearance is a bit tight on the rear wheels (closest part is the trailing arm) but as stated there is no scraping even at maximum squat. Front wheels wouldn't have a chance of fitting with the MA61 struts, but with the JZX81 setup it just squeezes in.

Cool! This means 17x9 +25 wheels will fit the rear of a MA6x. Good news.

Just received a set of later Z31 hubs and will be receiving a set of Starion hubs soon... These mount the discs as your JZX81 struts. The disc slips over the hub.

I also have an idea for the rears. Another option that may or not work. It will take a lot work.

I will be posting pics of the hubs soon with what I find.

[Updated on: Fri, 25 February 2005 20:46]

7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: MA61 brake/suspension/wheel upgrade - pics! Wed, 02 March 2005 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Vids will be forthcoming when I take it to Qld Raceway for a few laps, hopefully in the not too distant future.

You're out of excuses now, bitch Smile
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 brake/suspension/wheel upgrade - pics! Wed, 02 March 2005 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wrong, I have a new excuse! Razz

John Duel is currently bidding on a Getrag for me. If he's able to land it within my budget, it's 6-speed time for me! Very Happy
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: MA61 brake/suspension/wheel upgrade - pics! Wed, 02 March 2005 20:36 Go to previous message
Norbie wrote on Thu, 03 March 2005 00:25

Wrong, I have a new excuse! Razz

John Duel is currently bidding on a Getrag for me. If he's able to land it within my budget, it's 6-speed time for me! Very Happy

Go Norbie Go !!!!!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:HELP with vacuum lines after swap
Next Topic:omg carbon bonnet for ta22
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 5 12:38:22 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0093028545379639 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.