Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » What's wrong with my 2JZ?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
What's wrong with my 2JZ? Mon, 21 February 2005 14:20 Go to next message
I'm having an intermittent problem with my 2JZ-GTE which has come out of nowhere. I'll be driving along and for no reason the engine will splutter and misfire, and it gets progressively worse until it's nearly undriveable within about a minute. The engine idles roughly like it's dropped a cylinder, and whenever I open the throttle even a small amount the engine dies completely, as if I've switched off the ignition. When I let go of the throttle and it goes back to idling. It behaves exactly like my old 6M-GE when the AFM plug fell off, but the 2JZ doesn't have an AFM!

This has happened a few times now in the last week, and in each case the engine started up and ran fine after I let it rest for about an hour. I haven't touched anything on the engine or electrical system recently so it can't be anything I've done. My initial thought was a problem with the MAP sensor, but disconnecting that causes the engine to die completely, it won't even idle.

One other strange thing I noticed when I was limping the car home today - the tacho was flickering rapidly between 1800 and 2000rpm, even though I was cruising at a steady 60km/h. This suggests erratic readings from the ECU, but what could cause this?

Any suggestions appreciated, this one's got me stumped!
  Send a private message to this user    
Southo
Regular

I supported Toymods

August 2002
Re: What's wrong with my 2JZ? Mon, 21 February 2005 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had similar symptoms on my old Haltech ECU'd Pajero - turned out to be the coolant temp sender was making the ECU think the engine was cold and over fueling it. when the car was left to cool down, it ran fine...

THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: What's wrong with my 2JZ? Mon, 21 February 2005 21:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
norbie,

when you disconnected teh MAP sensor, are you talking about the plug or the boost line? Maybe there is a dodgy boost line to the MAP sensor?

Another thought is, this sounds like a similar problem i had with an old car that had a shot ignition lead, and would occasionally arc out onto the chassis rather than down the lead. Now im pretty sure the 2jz doesnt have ignition leads, but it might be something worth checking?

Either way, it sounds positively homo.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: What's wrong with my 2JZ? Mon, 21 February 2005 21:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Tue, 22 February 2005 01:20

I'm having an intermittent problem with my 2JZ-GTE which has come out of nowhere. I'll be driving along and for no reason the engine will splutter and misfire, and it gets progressively worse until it's nearly undriveable within about a minute.

Would this be just cruising with a constant throttle opening?

The engine idles roughly like it's dropped a cylinder, and whenever I open the throttle even a small amount the engine dies completely, as if I've switched off the ignition. When I let go of the throttle and it goes back to idling. It behaves exactly like my old 6M-GE when the AFM plug fell off, but the 2JZ doesn't have an AFM!

What about if you open the throttle widely - will it stall?

I'm just wondering if your TPS is loose. A small opening may cause increased airflow but if the TPS is not registering an increase in throttle opening, the ECU will not know to deliver more fuel resulting in a lean condition at low load that can cause hesitation, roughness at low engine speed and backfiring (if lean enough).

takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: What's wrong with my 2JZ? Mon, 21 February 2005 21:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would also look at the CAS wiring, are there any joints in there which can have heated up and come loose, or solder joints which have cracked? My 4ag did that and it came down to a solder joint on the 24tooth signal being cracked.
Replaced all the solder joints with crimp ones and it was fine.
KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: What's wrong with my 2JZ? Mon, 21 February 2005 23:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Exact thing is happening to me, I checked the coil packs, the connectes the plug into it, the spark plugs, even changed the ignitor. But it ended up being the plug, that plugs into the injector.
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: What's wrong with my 2JZ? Mon, 21 February 2005 23:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

the tacho was flickering rapidly between 1800 and 2000rpm, even though I was cruising at a steady 60km/h. This suggests erratic readings from the ECU, but what could cause this?

I agree with takai, this sounds like crank angle sensor to me. The CAS wires are subseptable to electrical interference hence they are shielded. If they are getting electrical interfernce, the engine RPM to the computer will go wacko for milliseconds unitl the cam angle is triggered again, this can show up on the tacho. So maybe check those joints as takai said or check the entire cable for anywhere the insullation has been maybe burnt or cut etc.
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: What's wrong with my 2JZ? Tue, 22 February 2005 00:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
install a fuel pressue gauge see what that has to say
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What's wrong with my 2JZ? Tue, 22 February 2005 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Witzl: I mean the electrical connector. The MAP sensor bolts directly to the plenum, there is no vacuum line to come off.

GT: the engine will stall at WOT or any significant throttle opening. I'm going to check the TPS out today with a multimeter to see if anything's amiss.

Takai: it's all factory original wiring from the engine to the ECU, but I'll check it out anyway.

Skip: this is very interesting because I've noticed in the last week or so a lot of electrical noise coming through the speakers, and because both of these things happened at about the same time I half wondered if they were connected somehow. I'll try replacing the capacitor thing on the ignition.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: What's wrong with my 2JZ? Tue, 22 February 2005 04:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just for curious sake, check the continuity from the block to the -ve terminal on the battery in the back.

Electrical noise is usually the result of a poor/corroded earth.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What's wrong with my 2JZ? Tue, 22 February 2005 05:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep, that's another thing I was thinking. I've had lots of bad experiences with dodgy earth points in the past so it's well worth checking!

I haven't had a chance to have a proper look at the car today. I drove to the tyre shop to get my new tyres fitted (bling rims on all 4 corners, yay!) and on the way home one of the rear calipers came loose and jammed against the inside of the rim. Car was stuck in the middle of an intersection and it wouldn't move an inch. Talk about embarassing, but there wasn't a thing I could do except stand around and look stupid while waiting for the tow truck.

Make sure your caliper bolts are done up tightly people!
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: What's wrong with my 2JZ? Tue, 22 February 2005 06:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Didn't the exact same thing happen to you a few years back?!?!? Laughing

[Updated on: Tue, 22 February 2005 06:21]

Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What's wrong with my 2JZ? Tue, 22 February 2005 06:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have you tried bypassing the fuel pump ECU? I assume that it's the same as a 1JZ setup. Bridge B+ and FP on the diagnostic connector under the bonnet and see how things go. If it works, you'll need a new FP ECU.
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: What's wrong with my 2JZ? Tue, 22 February 2005 06:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
norbie may or may not help you.
but if my circuit opening relay dropped out my car would do similar things until i turned it off and back on.
culprit was loose wires on that relay.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: What's wrong with my 2JZ? Tue, 22 February 2005 07:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I'm having an intermittent problem with my 2JZ-GTE which has come out of nowhere. I'll be driving along and for no reason the engine will splutter and misfire, and it gets progressively worse until it's nearly undriveable within about a minute. The engine idles roughly like it's dropped a cylinder, and whenever I open the throttle even a small amount the engine dies completely, as if I've switched off the ignition.

does it feel like ignition cut or fuel lean cut? or rich cut?

i've learned recently that both lean cut (off normal map) and rich cut (from too much accel shot) feel pretty similar Wink

i vote for fuel pump or pressure reg problem Very Happy

Quote:

One other strange thing I noticed when I was limping the car home today - the tacho was flickering rapidly between 1800 and 2000rpm, even though I was cruising at a steady 60km/h. This suggests erratic readings from the ECU, but what could cause this?

i have an even stranger one... sometimes, when it's cold, i start up and the tacho is reading between 1.5 and 2 times the actual rpm. the Megasquirt rpm is correct, and the fuelling is ok, but the tacho (stock KE15 26 year old one Razz ) reads erratically...

where do you get the tach output from? mine is direct from coil and i have nfi either Wink

Cya, Stewart
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: What's wrong with my 2JZ? Tue, 22 February 2005 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehe whatever the problem he definitely has a few things to test out.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What's wrong with my 2JZ? Tue, 22 February 2005 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes one of my calipers came loose a few years ago with the same result. I'm cursed I tell you!

I'm not using the fuel pump ECU, it's wired directly to the ignition at the moment. I'm not ruling out a dodgy pump or other fuel pressure problems though.

oldcorollas, it behaves like lean mixture cut, definitely not ignition cut. Well maybe rich cut if they're similar, but I couldn't smell fuel so probably not. Smile
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: What's wrong with my 2JZ? Tue, 22 February 2005 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thought about dodgy fuel?!?!

bikes seem to suffer this quite a bit at the work shop I drop in for beers.
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: What's wrong with my 2JZ? Tue, 22 February 2005 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the tacho flickering could be the ECU having to reset and re-sync up to dirty CAS signals

if it looses the cam position or crank angle - it needs (from memory) at least half a complete engine cycle (3 ignition events) for one of the 180 degree triggers on the cam to come around and then probably needs a few crank angle triggers to calculate rpm - possibly more if the engine is running rough.

does the factory ECU record frequest resets as an ECU error and put up an engine warning light?

cheers,
charles
SL666
Regular

October 2004
Re: What's wrong with my 2JZ? Tue, 22 February 2005 21:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm going to vote for electrical demon, TPS or CAS, i had a problem with my GSR breaking down when the engine bay heat got up, it was a bitch to find.. turned out the coilpack had cracked internally, and was shorting out when it got hot...
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What's wrong with my 2JZ? Wed, 23 February 2005 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK, it turned out to be one of the broken connectors on my coilpacks was slightly loose... apparently when the engine got warm it would break the circuit and the engine would run on 5 cylinders. Normally this isn't a huge problem (I drove my old 5M-E like this for months), but the 2JZ-GTE ECU throws a fit and makes the engine nearly undriveable! Bizarre.

Anyway all's well that ends well. Thanks for the suggestions guys. Smile
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: What's wrong with my 2JZ? Wed, 23 February 2005 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
good to hear it's going properly again.

Cruzsida: how long are the cords on your multimeter to check from the block to the boot?
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: What's wrong with my 2JZ? Wed, 02 March 2005 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BHG.

'nuff said. Laughing
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: What's wrong with my 2JZ? Wed, 02 March 2005 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh and I realise this is an old thread, but that was too damn good to miss.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: What's wrong with my 2JZ? Wed, 02 March 2005 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its not a 7M-BHG
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What's wrong with my 2JZ? Wed, 02 March 2005 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Me and my metal headgasket laugh at you. Laughing
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: What's wrong with my 2JZ? Wed, 02 March 2005 21:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Thu, 03 March 2005 00:57

Me and my metal headgasket laugh at you. Laughing

I know I am sad but I actually did lough out loud at that Very Happy
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: What's wrong with my 2JZ? Sat, 27 August 2005 02:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know this is slightly old, but I am having a VERY similar issue

Once the engine warms up it carries on like crazy, spluttering and coughing and not wanting to go anywhere. The tacho reads wildly and I either have to go WOT (doesn't always work) or take my foot off the accelerator alltogether to make it smooth again.

Grrrr.. gonna check my CAS wiring (for obvious issues) and my TPS (not sure how, will read manual)

Rob Smile
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What's wrong with my 2JZ? Sat, 27 August 2005 08:03 Go to previous message
Have you checked the wiring on the coilpacks?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:3t-gte help please
Next Topic:my TA22 needs an engine
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 5 13:44:24 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0062689781188965 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.