Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
79Rona
Regular

February 2005
Sloppy Steering Wed, 02 March 2005 00:54 Go to next message
Hey,
how do you go about getting the slop out of the steering?
i have a 79 rona wagon, steering is very sloopy

thanks
  Send a private message to this user    
Jason
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: Sloppy Steering Wed, 02 March 2005 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Replace rod ends idler arm pitman arm and reco the steering box should be good after that Very Happy

Cheers
Jason
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Sloppy Steering Wed, 02 March 2005 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
idler arm is the first call
rick_o
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: Sloppy Steering Wed, 02 March 2005 02:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
...and bushes. Forget factory: go nylo
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Sloppy Steering Wed, 02 March 2005 05:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Get it checked. Specifically, check the Pitman arm, idlers and bushes. These are the items that wear the most. Do it quick 'cos if it wears too much one day your wheels will go in a direction that you don't intend and the consequences can be disastrous.

If the above items are okay, then get the steering box checked. Usually a good mechanic will check this out at the same time as the other components.

seeyuzz
river
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Sloppy Steering Wed, 02 March 2005 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i used neopreen (sp) bushes in my 4x4 and that helped things amazingly
I couldn't changed the sterring box cuz Isnapped the bolts holding it on and it was rusted to the frame.
79Rona
Regular

February 2005
Re: Sloppy Steering Wed, 02 March 2005 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok, so if i was to replace it all get all the slop out, the steering will be more responsive?
and a bit lighter?

river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Sloppy Steering Wed, 02 March 2005 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Absolutely. The slop is bad. Before I got my steering fixed the car would try and jump lanes, especially under braking or if you hit a bump in the road. It was getting pretty scary.

The steering was never heavy, just sloppy and all over the shop. The main culptrit was the idlers and in particular the Jana Pitman arm. The pitman was so worn that it wasn't funny and quite dangerous. I got new bushes at the same time.

Heavy steering would probably be your steering box. It needs to be overhauled, adjusted and lubed.

If you want my opinion, get the whole lot checked - bushes, idlers, pitman arm and the steering box. Once it's done the steering will be tight, light and responsive and you'll love it. I know I certainly like to have the car go in the direction I turn the wheel.

If you can source the parts yourself (idlers, bushes and pitman) then you'll save some money and just get your mechanic to whack them in. The steering box is best left to your mechanic to sort out 'cos you don't really don't know what parts - if any (it may just need a lube and adjustment) it requires.

You'll be looking at $100-$150 for the parts, add another $150 or so for the mechanic to fit them, then add some extra for the steering box. That's a very rough ballpark estimate, based upon what mine cost, though my steering box was okay.

seeyuzz
river
79Rona
Regular

February 2005
Re: Sloppy Steering Wed, 02 March 2005 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahh ok,
know where i can get all the parts?
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Sloppy Steering Wed, 02 March 2005 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Try Repco and places like that. Make sure you have your exact model number for your car.

Worse, and most expensive scenario, get them from your local Toyota Dealer Spare Parts section.

It may be prudent to take it to your mechanic first to check exactly which parts need replacing, then, armed with this info, get the parts - it saves your from having the mechanic add his own extra cost in sourcing the parts.

seeyuzz
river
79Rona
Regular

February 2005
Re: Sloppy Steering Wed, 02 March 2005 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok thanks river,
do you have MSN, id like to chat a bit more

Cheers
Dan
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Sloppy Steering Wed, 02 March 2005 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

No. You can PM me if you want, but, being an old fella I need my beauty sleep and am going to bed now.

seeyuzz
river
79Rona
Regular

February 2005
Re: Sloppy Steering Wed, 02 March 2005 11:49 Go to previous message
ok, well before i go to tafe tommorow arvo, ill go around some places and ask about prices

thanks again though river, and you other ppl,

beauty sleep, ahhaha, see ya in a few years..LOL
jokes mate

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:omg carbon bonnet for ta22
Next Topic:st185 gt4 single piston caliper onto aw11 conversion?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 14:36:32 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0041849613189697 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.