Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Driving lessons...

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Kodoku
Regular

January 2005
Driving lessons... Sun, 27 February 2005 15:39 Go to next message
Just wondering, on average how many paid drving lessons would you take before you undergo your P's test? With or without a lot of private practice? Without access to a manual car for practising, is it still possible to pass only relying on like, let's say, having 24 45min session with a driving instructor?
Do people actually do 120hrs of practice before testing, I can't cos my old lady is like the one on the ads making any excuse for not letting me practice...if I EVER get my license and have an accident I'm gonna blame her...and I don't want to spend 120hrs with a driving instructor, think about the cost!
Anyone know any good driving schools in metropolitan melbourne?
  Send a private message to this user    
bigg willie style
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Driving lessons... Sun, 27 February 2005 16:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
personally, i reckon the 120 hours thing is like a maximum. an allowance for the morons who will never be able to drive properly. kind of like "make 'em do 120 hours and they SHOULD be able to drive on the road without fucking up TOO badly"

i felt comfortable after about 20 hours, and did my Ps test after about 50 (yes i passed).

my mates parents wouldnt let him drive on his own (even though he had his Ps) until he did 120 hours WITH THEM. he didnt drive alone until he was about 20 years old. 120 hours is a fuck of a lot.

on the other hand, one of my other mates had about a total of 10 lessons, and sfa driving experience with his parents, but he also passed and has become a competent(:s) driver.

depending on where you live i can pm you the number of a good driving instructor, who will take you through everything required to pass your Ps, and she only charges about 20 bux per lesson (1 hour) if its your car. i think it was 30 bux to use her car. (might have changed in the 3 years since i had lessons).
kaze
Regular

July 2004
Re: Driving lessons... Wed, 02 March 2005 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i wouldn't mind getting the number of ur instructor as well.

i just wanna run 1 lesson to make sure i covered all the basis and can get my licence for sure. I'm converting from malaysian to aussie... and i cbfed to take the test again if i fail.
Evan
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Driving lessons... Wed, 02 March 2005 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I didn't pay for any lessons.
Dad did all the teaching for me. But it helps that both he and my uncle were advanced driving instructors Smile
jiraiya
Occasional Poster

February 2005
Re: Driving lessons... Wed, 02 March 2005 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im in NSW and i did 6 - 8 lessons with an instructor during which i
also had to make up 50 hours of general driving - most of which i did with my parents.

Lessons helped at first but after a few then its just general driving experience. I did my test right on 50 hours and was able to pass with no troubles.

My advice is do a few lessons and then if u can drive lots with parents etc to get hours up. 50 hrs should be fine for most people.
dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Driving lessons... Wed, 02 March 2005 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i never had any lessons, dad just sat there and i did the driving. Passed p's on a manual 1st go too Very Happy

You can always bullshit your log book. When i went for my P's it was a minimum of 50hours, but i stopped recording at about 30 or so and made up some of the other totalling to 56 or so Razz But 120 hours Shocked
checks202
Regular

I supported Toymods

April 2004

Re: Driving lessons... Wed, 02 March 2005 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lessons aren't really needed. Unless your parrents have a very short temper.
Be carefull of Driving instructors with heavy duty clutchs as some are F*ckin hard as rock. Smile
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: Driving lessons... Wed, 02 March 2005 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mate I got 11 lessons, paid for a block of 10 and got 1 for free. Lessons lasted an hour and cost $45/lesson.

I had like 3 in a row, then once I had the knack of the whole gear changing thing down, took a month off and did more practice with Dad, then met the instructor every few months to work on parking etc... then 2 more lessons before exam, then exam passed first time.
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Driving lessons... Wed, 02 March 2005 16:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1 month, 11 lessons = my second phase l's

bang on 1 month later, got my p's

oh, its a DAMN shame we only have to do 25 hours!

feel sorry for you fellers :/

6 of my lessons were dedicated to me not dropping the clutch and chirping the wheels muahahha

and, 10th or so lesson, i dragged a monaro, got CREAMED...

surely enough, only the best for my learning experience, intstructors car was a 2003 corolla, nippy little 1.8 litre bastard, had much fun in that car Smile

Cheers,

Eldar.O.
paulw85
Regular

February 2005
Re: Driving lessons... Wed, 02 March 2005 23:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i did well over 100 hours, across 2 log books

with a few driving lessions thrown in here and there from 2 diff people
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Driving lessons... Wed, 02 March 2005 23:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not a single paid lesson hehehehe stuff that

but that's what happens when you learn to drive on a farm I guess
skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: Driving lessons... Thu, 03 March 2005 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey, get this, one of my mates did like 150+hrs and still failed first time! Laughing
but i did 60ish and passed easy Cool
Julz01
Regular

December 2004
Re: Driving lessons... Thu, 03 March 2005 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Man you dont need to do 120 hrs, ive done like 20hrs in a auto car and now that I got my sprinter I have done about 4hrs in that I already feel comfortable driving manual. I am just going to do a couple of lessons near the time im going to get my p's so that I can be sure ill pass.
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Driving lessons... Thu, 03 March 2005 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh i reckon everyone should have some lessons. might help to weed out the retards.
Nolan
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: Driving lessons... Thu, 03 March 2005 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
STR8 2.8 wrote on Thu, 03 March 2005 21:17

yeh i reckon everyone should have some lessons. might help to weed out the retards.

nah i had lessons and i still got my license Razz

ahahah better gardening skills needed..

Razz

NOLAN
paulw85
Regular

February 2005
Re: Driving lessons... Thu, 03 March 2005 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im still suprised that some people have their licence by how they drive on the road
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Driving lessons... Thu, 03 March 2005 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RobST162 wrote on Thu, 03 March 2005 10:38

not a single paid lesson hehehehe stuff that

but that's what happens when you learn to drive on a farm I guess

here here!
although i got 1 lesson just to check i wasnt brakeing any rules my parents are too old to know.
i learnt that when turning at lights and theyre green your actually meant to wait in the middle of the intersection, i always thought people that did that were dickheads!
oh and i never did the hole blinking off thing until i had a lesson.
passed first go, on my bday Very Happy
unforgiven
Forums Junkie

February 2005
Re: Driving lessons... Thu, 03 March 2005 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Evan wrote on Wed, 02 March 2005 23:21

I didn't pay for any lessons.
Dad did all the teaching for me. But it helps that both he and my uncle were advanced driving instructors Smile

Hey same! except not the uncle, just dad.
Kodoku
Regular

January 2005
Re: Driving lessons... Fri, 04 March 2005 03:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Has anyone bought their own car before getting their P's?
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Driving lessons... Fri, 04 March 2005 03:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my sister did, not much point really just means that you pay for everything instead of your parents, note bludge off them as long as you can, once you get a car it becomes your life, it controls the finances and is a constant attchment, yes it gives you freedom but it is a major responsibility.
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Driving lessons... Fri, 04 March 2005 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mate firstly your mum is a bit of a dill..i dont mean any personal offence to that but your first step is to explain to her the importance of gaining experience...Ive seen alot of people only really care about gaining enough knowledge to pass the test..and a blind trained downsyndrome monkey could pass the fukken thing! I probably did more than 150hrs in the 6 months lead up to getting my licence.atleast 5-10 of those would have been simply in back streets and never leaving our suburb..once i had my confidence up dad steadily increased the roads to slightly buisier,untill I eventually drove anywhere dad and I had to go,night time, wet, freeway etc,I passed first go but went for 3 lessons just to weed out bad habbits I may have picked up,like driving with hand on the gearstick,not looking over my shoulder to change lanes even though I was the only car on the road etc...but PLAESE just get as many hours behind you as possible as it will just make you a better driver allround...
insalubrity_macca
Regular

September 2004

Re: Driving lessons... Fri, 04 March 2005 08:43 Go to previous message
Mate i just got my p's in january, and i only did about 45 hours worth....however i had about 6 lessons and i passed first go manual and got 100% Very Happy . However the instructor said he shouldve taken off a mark for rough gear changes at the start of the test Shocked but he said that was normal nerves....it aint that hard mate...get manual
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Guard rolling close to Whyalla SA
Next Topic:ebay cressida
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 05:49:57 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0054211616516113 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.