Toymods » Tech & Conversions » My Turbo Died on Corolla Sportivo 2001

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Iwantsportivo
Occasional Poster

February 2005

My Turbo Died on Corolla Sportivo 2001 Tue, 01 March 2005 21:48 Go to next message
Being a IHI turbo RFH4 . It is rare and I was given a WRX and GTR turbo but none would fit as the oil lines were on top or just no room as it would hit the oil filter.

Reason for turbo dieing? The shaft bearing failed causing the turbo to semi seize. Precision turbo believed that the previous owner followed the 10 000km oil changed and it should of been done on 5000kms.

Being a small Ball Bearing turbo the inlet oil nipple is very very small and if any carbon build up blocks that hole then it would eventually stuff up. Which it did.

There is no replacement turbo so I got them to rebuild it with a new internals non ball bearing but much much larger cartridge setup so basically a strong massive high flow.

Will get it back today or tomorrow.

Sucks that I couldnt get a replacement at a cheap price but this is ok
  Send a private message to this user    
Iwantsportivo
Occasional Poster

February 2005

Re: My Turbo Died on Corolla Sportivo 2001 Wed, 02 March 2005 00:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can anyone help and advise me on what would of been a replacement turbo if any?

toyota would want too much
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: My Turbo Died on Corolla Sportivo 2001 Wed, 02 March 2005 00:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DID u try the turbo of a nissan exa/et turbo 1985 ih years they are small t2 turbos some have only oil cooling later models (1986-88) have water and oil coolint as well

honda city and daihatsu charade turbos are small as well

[Updated on: Wed, 02 March 2005 00:44]

Iwantsportivo
Occasional Poster

February 2005

Re: My Turbo Died on Corolla Sportivo 2001 Wed, 02 March 2005 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
indian wrote on Wed, 02 March 2005 11:43

DID u try the turbo of a nissan exa/et turbo 1985 ih years they are small t2 turbos some have only oil cooling later models (1986-88) have water and oil coolint as well

honda city and daihatsu charade turbos are small as well

No I didnt but the T28 I would of have to make a new turbo manifold. Too much trouble and time consuming. I wonder where I could of picked up another IHI turbo from.
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: My Turbo Died on Corolla Sportivo 2001 Wed, 02 March 2005 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the et/exa turbos came with t2 not t28 turbos they are pretty small other options are asi said charade have the hitachi turbos or the honda city no idea what they run but its small

t25 of the silvia is a decent size too
boxh34d
Regular

May 2004
Re: My Turbo Died on Corolla Sportivo 2001 Wed, 02 March 2005 01:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think the point that he is making is that he needs an IHI turbo so that the flanges will fit. any T2X turbo has a different flange to those from IHI.
that is my understanding of it.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: My Turbo Died on Corolla Sportivo 2001 Wed, 02 March 2005 02:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
whoops didnt read properly Embarassed

[Updated on: Wed, 02 March 2005 02:58]

Powerfiend
Occasional Poster

March 2004
Re: My Turbo Died on Corolla Sportivo 2001 Wed, 02 March 2005 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the twin turbo Subaru liberty's came with rhf4 turbos and i think the primary and secondary had a different trim.
They have a strange flange though. I'm not sure what sort of design your car has but the liberty has a 3 bolt flange.
two bolts are close and the third is a fair distance away.
Apparently some RHF4's fit the old charade turbo's but the flange on the liberty turbo's is way off (i checked) so I'm assuming that there are a few different flange designs. I cant confirm as i never got around to finding out for sure but its a lead that you may want to pursue.

c2888
Regular

May 2002

Re: My Turbo Died on Corolla Sportivo 2001 Wed, 02 March 2005 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I too have read that it's the the smaller of the twin turbos from the B4. Either in Motor or Wheels, i can't remember, sorta tuned out when they said it wasn't a balltearer.

dodgydan
Iwantsportivo
Occasional Poster

February 2005

Re: My Turbo Died on Corolla Sportivo 2001 Wed, 02 March 2005 20:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks guys. muuch appreciated
Ribbo
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: My Turbo Died on Corolla Sportivo 2001 Wed, 02 March 2005 21:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think the older mx6 turbo runs an IHI doesn't it?
Powerfiend
Occasional Poster

March 2004
Re: My Turbo Died on Corolla Sportivo 2001 Thu, 03 March 2005 07:19 Go to previous message
yep, the mazda mx6/tx5 tesltar had the plain bearing ihi rhb5 turbo as did the mid 80's turbo lasers and 323's with the B6T engines as well as a fiew other cars from memory like the honda city turbo which someone already mentioned and the GTti charade.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:aristo wiring diagram
Next Topic:2T won't start episode XXVIII
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 6 22:13:36 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0048129558563232 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.