Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

20V turbos... few Questions Tue, 01 March 2005 13:42 Go to next message
Yes The Wiltz i have searched but couldnt find these answers.

Assuming i wanted to turbo a 20V silvertop engine that has microtech ECU on it. what do i do about the following.

I want to fit GZE pistons. Can i use the Silvertop rods and grudion pins or are the pins a different size. IF so will i need to use GZE rods as well?

What are the silvertop injectors good for and should i change them. if so to what??

where do i get oil feed and return on the block. where have other 4agte people put them?

the 20V has a 1.5mm thick headgasket stock. assuming i wanted to put GZE pistons in this would lower the comp/ratio a fair wack. i then could fit a 0.8mm metal headgasket. is this advisable?
  Send a private message to this user    
monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: 20V turbos... few Questions Tue, 01 March 2005 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3sgte injectors fit.

on my 16v turbo the oil feed is T'd off where the oil pressure sender attaches to the block.

[Updated on: Tue, 01 March 2005 13:58]

Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: 20V turbos... few Questions Tue, 01 March 2005 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pics would be great.

what size are the 3sgte ones?
monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: 20V turbos... few Questions Tue, 01 March 2005 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They are 440's.

I dont have any pics of the oil feed, I can snap one tomorrow, I'm not sure if they sender is in the same spot on the 20v. I would guess so though.
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: 20V turbos... few Questions Tue, 01 March 2005 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
should be, all 4age blocks are essentially the same layout
Big T
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 20V turbos... few Questions Tue, 01 March 2005 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've been researching a similar thing but planning on turboing a bluetop. I seem to screwed cause it seems every generation of 4ag*e has the same 42mm crank and 20mm gudgeon pins for the pistons EXCEPT the bluetop. The bluetop's got a 40mm crank and 18mm gudgeons. This is all according to Bill Sherwood's website so the source is very reliable.

I've also read that 7M-GTE injectors are a straight fit but there doesn't seem to be a consensus on this. Either there are both top and side feed 7M-GTE injectors or someone is mistaken.

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=60733&start=0&rid=7123&S=a0d008ee0a4 cf21c38553e9571535c40

Eddie.
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: 20V turbos... few Questions Tue, 01 March 2005 23:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well.. got some injectors line up

can anyone help with the rest?
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 20V turbos... few Questions Tue, 01 March 2005 23:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

I've also read that 7M-GTE injectors are a straight fit but there doesn't seem to be a consensus on this. Either there are both top and side feed 7M-GTE injectors or someone is mistaken.

I AM using 7MGTE injectors on my 4AGTE, they are a top feed and direct replacement for the standard ones.

Edit: 550cc 13BT injectors are also a straight fit on a 4AGZE/TE

[Updated on: Tue, 01 March 2005 23:17]

Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: 20V turbos... few Questions Wed, 02 March 2005 00:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cheers for that
4a-c
Regular

April 2003
Re: 20V turbos... few Questions Wed, 02 March 2005 00:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1jz injectors are straight fit
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: 20V turbos... few Questions Wed, 02 March 2005 00:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
say... theres a 1jz in the driveway atm Wink
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 20V turbos... few Questions Wed, 02 March 2005 00:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just turbo it with the stock pistons, if you can tune it 1/2 decent (maybe strugling with a microleb) you wont be able to run as much boost but should be exciting!

if the stock pistons cark it get some forgies made up, useing a piston from a 4 valve per cyl engine in a 5 valve per cyl engine for turbo application is asking to issues due to valve releaf design etc etc
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: 20V turbos... few Questions Wed, 02 March 2005 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes but GZE pistons are dished anyway, since they are a non interferance motor theres never going to be any contacting of the valves either
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 20V turbos... few Questions Wed, 02 March 2005 00:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Simon-AE86 wrote on Wed, 02 March 2005 11:46

yes but GZE pistons are dished anyway, since they are a non interferance motor theres never going to be any contacting of the valves either

Allan wrote on Wed, 02 March 2005 11:35

piston from a 4 valve per cyl engine in a 5 valve per cyl engine for turbo application is asking to issues due to valve releaf design etc etc

the reason thay are non-interferance is because of the fly cuts in the pistons, also with a piston designed for a different style of head you will have messed with the squish area and the shape of the combustion chamber at TDC this will be asking for knocking.
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: 20V turbos... few Questions Wed, 02 March 2005 02:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so, whats the solution?
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 20V turbos... few Questions Wed, 02 March 2005 02:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
use the stock pistons if thay can handle the task or get some custom slugs made
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: 20V turbos... few Questions Wed, 02 March 2005 02:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Simon-AE86 wrote on Wed, 02 March 2005 11:02

say... theres a 1jz in the driveway atm Wink

consider that 1JZ like your girlfriends missus...

if you touch it, you die Smile
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: 20V turbos... few Questions Wed, 02 March 2005 03:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Allan wrote on Wed, 02 March 2005 13:03

and stick with the stock compression ratio? no i dont think so.

can someone please tell me why people have used gZe pistons in forced 20vs before with great success?
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 20V turbos... few Questions Wed, 02 March 2005 03:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
because they haven't let the timing belts break. when they do, the valves and pistons will be well and truly rooted.

you could always run maybe 2mm less valve lift, and then it will be non-interference again Razz
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 20V turbos... few Questions Wed, 02 March 2005 04:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Simon-AE86 wrote on Wed, 02 March 2005 14:29

Allan wrote on Wed, 02 March 2005 13:03

and stick with the stock compression ratio? no i dont think so.

can someone please tell me why people have used gZe pistons in forced 20vs before with great success?

dude there are MANY ways to do it you can open up the chamber in the head, use dished valves or thicker gasket etc should not take much to get it down to 9:1

Allan
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: 20V turbos... few Questions Wed, 02 March 2005 05:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
however isnt changing the compression via thicker headgasket mucking about with squish area also??
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 20V turbos... few Questions Wed, 02 March 2005 05:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes.

you need to have a look at both the combustion chamber AND the piston shape AND the clearance at TDC AND half more than half an idea before mucking about with squish areas....

or you could run a little less boost and tune a little more conservatively Wink
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 20V turbos... few Questions Wed, 02 March 2005 05:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, post some pics of the 20v head and piston and 16v head and piston
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 20V turbos... few Questions Wed, 02 March 2005 05:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Wed, 02 March 2005 16:52

you could run a little less boost and tune a little more conservatively Wink

preferable option
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: 20V turbos... few Questions Wed, 02 March 2005 06:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well yes, but thats hardly going to last for ever isnt it.

say i were going to fit a larger headgasket, what thickness would be recommended?
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 20V turbos... few Questions Wed, 02 March 2005 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Simon-AE86 wrote on Wed, 02 March 2005 17:09

well yes, but thats hardly going to last for ever isnt it.

say i were going to fit a larger headgasket, what thickness would be recommended?

If tuned correctly yes it will.

see the supplyer of the gasket for details on how much volume it adds
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 20V turbos... few Questions Wed, 02 March 2005 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wouldnt custom slugs be a similar price to new gze pistons from toyota anyways.
Big T
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 20V turbos... few Questions Wed, 02 March 2005 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4agte wrote on Wed, 02 March 2005 17:17

wouldnt custom slugs be a similar price to new gze pistons from toyota anyways.

I got a quote for GZE pistons about a month ago. $380 which is damn cheap for NEW, forged ,ceramic coated pistons.
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: 20V turbos... few Questions Wed, 02 March 2005 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
isnt this getting back to where i started?
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: 20V turbos... few Questions Wed, 02 March 2005 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

just turbo it with the stock pistons, if you can tune it 1/2 decent (maybe strugling with a microleb)

shows how much you really know isnt it....have you actually tuned a 20v turbo with a microtech on it? probably not.... i dare say there are bugger all people here who have...

i have done a few and they work a treat,
there are only 3 ecus that will run a 20v turbo whilst being tuned using TPS and map that is microtech, autronic and motec, the rest are either one or the other, not a combo of both which you need to get a 20v turbo to drive nice and do all that right stuff.

simon,

just turbo the stock engine, set boost to 8-10psi, put some 1jzgte injectors in it (20v are side feed but you can adopt a 16v top feed fuel rail pretty easy), switch cam timing on at 4000rpm and have some fun

hint run a smallish turbo, ie a t25 or td04l off a wrx,
another hint, be very consertive on the timing, even with rich mixtures these motors will rattle there brains with boost,
slydar
Regular

December 2003
Re: 20V turbos... few Questions Wed, 02 March 2005 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ive discussed this with Ant before, he said theyre basically all the same except black top, which have more of a honda style rod, and ofcourse big port which have a differant size wrist pin and big end size AND are more lightly built.

as far as pistons.. although the combustion chambers are differant, i dont see why i vastly lowered compression piston would come any close to the valves at tdc. anyway its been done plenty before, and when was the last time you snapped a timing belt? its seriously not relevant.

Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: 20V turbos... few Questions Wed, 02 March 2005 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmm so some say do it and others say dont?!
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: 20V turbos... few Questions Wed, 02 March 2005 21:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Simon-AE86 wrote on Thu, 03 March 2005 01:06

hmmm so some say do it and others say dont?!

do it, trust me with a good tune you wont have any problems at all!
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 20V turbos... few Questions Wed, 02 March 2005 22:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

just turbo it with the stock pistons, if you can tune it 1/2 decent (maybe strugling with a microleb)

10sec_rx7 wrote on Wed, 02 March 2005 22:23

shows how much you really know isnt it....have you actually tuned a 20v turbo with a microtech on it? probably not.... i dare say there are bugger all people here who have...

maybe you can but someone who is inexperanced and is afraid of the mid compression mid boost idea should probably avoid it
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: 20V turbos... few Questions Wed, 02 March 2005 23:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its not hard to make a phone call and organise someone to tune it is it??

i perfer high comp turbo motors, they have more grunt off boost and for a street car perform a lot better
quest
Regular

April 2004
Re: 20V turbos... few Questions Thu, 03 March 2005 00:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this thread addresses most of your questions.
http://forums.club4ag.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=94447 &whichpage=1&ARCHIVE=
You can run 8.9 or 8.0:1 ze pistons on silvertop rods. Some flycut for the 5th valve, some don't... broken timing belt or miss shift will do u in.

"slow" runs a silvertop 20v turbo on stock blacktop ecu and greddy emanage piggyback
Another turbo'd his stock motor, but approach was not well thought out so pistons failed, but no reason why oe 20v slug wouldn't deliver loads of fun reliably with "good tuning". Even low boost, small turbo and bad tune transformed the car. The fun could have lasted

there is a group buy on a u.s. forum now for 20v turbo forged pistons, ~$350usd. see 3rd post on page2

got a cheap 20v or somethin' ? 16Vs can be sik
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 20V turbos... few Questions Thu, 03 March 2005 02:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the only thing with turboing a 20v with stock pistons is that i would assume you would need to tune it conservitavley incase you get a bad batch of fuel or the ambient it high/low etc.

Forgies would handle a bit of pinging. 20v pistons may not
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: 20V turbos... few Questions Thu, 03 March 2005 02:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
looks like i'll follow dales advice for now and run stock internals and low boost.

will start accumulating new parts in the mean time tho Wink
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: 20V turbos... few Questions Thu, 03 March 2005 02:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
buy a good intercooler, one of those cheap hybrid jobs will be perfect for it, this will save the motor a lot!
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: 20V turbos... few Questions Thu, 03 March 2005 02:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
already got one Wink

plus oil cooler will be fitted, along with 3 core rad etc.

its going to be used in my new drift car, so it will be seeing a hard time, lots of rev and the limiter. i want to keep boost levels pretty sane.
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: 20V turbos... few Questions Thu, 03 March 2005 02:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Simon-AE86 wrote on Thu, 03 March 2005 13:38

it will be seeing a hard time, lots of rev and the limiter

Don't you kill my baby... Crying or Very Sad Crying or Very Sad Crying or Very Sad

Razz
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: 20V turbos... few Questions Thu, 03 March 2005 02:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
simon, it will be fine!

ae86slut
is it your old car??????
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: 20V turbos... few Questions Thu, 03 March 2005 02:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
10sec_rx7 wrote on Thu, 03 March 2005 13:45

simon, it will be fine!

ae86slut
is it your old car??????

Nah Dale, just the engine etc..... Still hasn't missed a beat since she rolled off the dyno! I'll be in contact with you about something soon btw.
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: 20V turbos... few Questions Thu, 03 March 2005 02:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cool dude

a project hey!! sounds interesting!
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 20V turbos... few Questions Thu, 03 March 2005 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it will be interesting to see how long the engine lasts we will get to see how long a 20v turbo with simons right foot will last
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: 20V turbos... few Questions Thu, 03 March 2005 03:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
10sec_rx7 wrote on Thu, 03 March 2005 13:52

cool dude

a project hey!! sounds interesting!

Yeah, sorta...... Very Happy

Simon, Dale (10sec_rx7) tuned the Microtech currently on the engine and has tuned heaps of other 20V's, N/A and F/I. He knows his shiznit.
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: 20V turbos... few Questions Thu, 03 March 2005 03:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well if only he was in adelaide i'd get him to tune it for me Sad but he isnt
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: 20V turbos... few Questions Thu, 03 March 2005 03:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Simon-AE86 wrote on Thu, 03 March 2005 14:42

well if only he was in adelaide i'd get him to tune it for me Sad but he isnt

Yeah well, you is teh ghey then.

Maybe you should fly Dale down on an all-expenses paid trip to tune it.
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: 20V turbos... few Questions Thu, 03 March 2005 03:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ill be over there in around 3 months i think doing a few starlets.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: 20V turbos... few Questions Thu, 03 March 2005 03:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
*sniff sniff* i smell a road trip Wink
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: 20V turbos... few Questions Thu, 03 March 2005 03:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
or
i could always finish the car, trailer it to sydney and take it drifting when they have a prac day at oran park next and see how it performs Wink

or not Razz

AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: 20V turbos... few Questions Thu, 03 March 2005 03:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Simon-AE86 wrote on Thu, 03 March 2005 14:51

or
i could always finish the car, trailer it to sydney and take it drifting when they have a prac day at oran park next and see how it performs Wink

Nod Nod Nod Nod Nod Nod Nod
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: 20V turbos... few Questions Thu, 03 March 2005 03:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dibs at crashing at yours Wink

[Updated on: Thu, 03 March 2005 03:57]

AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: 20V turbos... few Questions Thu, 03 March 2005 04:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Simon-AE86 wrote on Thu, 03 March 2005 14:56

dibs at crashing at yours Wink

Of course dude. Same invitation as Jessie gets goes for all of you Adelaide boys! I've got a spare room.

Do it mang.
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: 20V turbos... few Questions Thu, 03 March 2005 04:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you think its all too much hasstle to turbo the 20v just turbo a 16v.

The 16v can make good power.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 20V turbos... few Questions Thu, 03 March 2005 06:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fatmr2 wrote on Thu, 03 March 2005 15:16

just not quite 200 rwk huh fat Laughing
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: 20V turbos... few Questions Thu, 03 March 2005 06:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4agte wrote on Thu, 03 March 2005 17:13

fatmr2 wrote on Thu, 03 March 2005 15:16

just not quite 200 rwk huh fat Laughing

Dont speak too soon 4agte.....Ive made a few changes since last time. It might get to 200rwkw this time............maybe more Cool
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: 20V turbos... few Questions Thu, 03 March 2005 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm interesting

what specs on yours?
170bhp
Regular

January 2004
Re: 20V turbos... few Questions Thu, 03 March 2005 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Conventional 16v injectors won't fit, 20v uses submergered side feed injectors, I am using Yanky 2JZGT injectors which slip straight in and are rated at 550cc, 13b turbo injectors will not fit! I am taking the oil feed from the pressure switch, oil pressure switches are always tee'd into main gallery oil, coolant is fed to the turbo from a custom outlet I used in my conversion to RWD, the manifold is an off the shelf HKS cast 16v, I have drilled and tapped the head to suit the outer two moles of the manifold being in a different spot, I am using a modified T28 roller from an s15(different comp wheel etc), I am still using the quad throttles but with a custom plenum, the outer is GTiR pulsar (very neat looking) and I made a custom billet aluminium adaptor to bolt this to the quads, the adaptor has all the radiuses etc and increases plenum volume, my intercooler consists of a PWR core and the core is 600x485x90(with out the end tanks) then I made up custom end tanks.
170bhp
Regular

January 2004
Re: 20V turbos... few Questions Thu, 03 March 2005 23:35 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
P.S. this is all being run by an SM2 Autronic in TPS/MAP!!
Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4a ecu identification help needed
Next Topic:Good Mechanics in Victoria
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 16:55:13 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.010656833648682 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.