Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
twin carb cold air intake Thu, 03 March 2005 08:35 Go to next message
has anybody successfully made a cold air intake for their twin carb engine?
rather than replacing the air filters with a box and putting a pod down the bottom, i was wondering if this would be as effective...

putting a sheet of stainless steel between carbies and air filter plates, and weld onto it a triangular shaped top bottom and a square front (there isnt much room to play with)
then from the front/bottom of this shield weld on a short bit of pipe, which i attatch flexible pipe to, which leads down to the bottom of the car where i have a sort of funnel mounted for some nice intake.
the way i imagine it this should feed the carbs with some fresh air, but wondering whether it could possibly starve the carbs from air, or any other problems like that.

thanks, jesse
  Send a private message to this user    
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: twin carb cold air intake Thu, 03 March 2005 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok so im bad at explaning things-
so ive thrown together a really quick drawing
http://img43.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img43&image=int ake5hs.png

[Updated on: Thu, 03 March 2005 08:52]

boris
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
On probation

January 2003
Re: twin carb cold air intake Thu, 03 March 2005 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.geocities.com/emp_emp2000/003.txt

Like that?
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: twin carb cold air intake Thu, 03 March 2005 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mmm thats nice

i was thinking more of a cold air feed than a intake like that, be a little easier Very Happy

did that intake give you a worthwhile power gain?
boris
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
On probation

January 2003
Re: twin carb cold air intake Thu, 03 March 2005 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry not mine dude... pic was taken from this thread
http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=762&start=0&rid=2037&S=a887213dc2b00 1b7b853efe44c585ec1
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: twin carb cold air intake Thu, 03 March 2005 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how the fuck did u get another pod down the bottom

need pics underneath

i reckon u do what u did in that excellent drawing Confused , but dont weld that plate onto the front and just feed it with a 6 inch pipe or 2 4 inch pipes,
greenta22
Regular

July 2004
Re: twin carb cold air intake Thu, 03 March 2005 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i know a bloke who did that with his MG with twin SU's. he did what you are suggesting and had a pod inside a sectioned off box in the corner of the engine bay behind the head lights, there was a hole there for the air to get in. he rekons it made a little bit of a difference to the throttle response and it also kept his engine temps down noticably, particularly in traffic. the intake temps were almost ambient.
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: twin carb cold air intake Thu, 03 March 2005 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i like my dodgy box, i wouldnt put a top on it, but ide want the front so i can line up a good pipe there and a bottom to stop any hot engine air rising up into the intake

i saw a t18 with a intake feed just sticking out from the bottom of the front lip in front of drivers side front wheel, looked effective!
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: twin carb cold air intake Thu, 03 March 2005 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Nice pic. Try and round off the end to allow better air flow into the rear carbs. Also try and round the case a bit 'cos square edges cause disruption to the airflow.

Here's a pic of the Toyota 18RG intake. It's not too visible, but if you want I can take another pic for you. The air filter bolts to the front of the chassis and feed the assembly via a large diameter flexible rubber tube.

Matter of fact, you could even try Toyota to see if they have any of these in stock. They'd be NOS, and it's a long shot, but worth trying. You never know your luck - that's how I got my fender mirrors. Smile

http://www.classic-celica.com/albums/1973-JDM-RA25GT/engine_carbie_side.sized.jpg

seeyuzz
river
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: twin carb cold air intake Thu, 03 March 2005 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks river, i forgot about the 18rg box
google helped me out, took me right back to toymods but it worked Very Happy that 18rg air box looks perfect!
is it made of metal?
http://www.toymods.org.au/Easter_2002/Rod_18RG_in_GTV_Celica.jpg

[Updated on: Thu, 03 March 2005 10:31]

river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: twin carb cold air intake Thu, 03 March 2005 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Yep that's a better pic of the standard Toyota 18RG airbox.

Yes, it's made of metal. It has two clips on the top and two underneath, there are three clips on the airfilter and you can take the thing out.

The cylindrical part of the airfilter remains attached to the chassis. Just the box and the baseplate of the filter section comes out when you unclip it.

It takes a standard round filter. The plate that's attached to the carbs has a felt sealing trim around the edge.

When you look at it, it's a pretty big airbox.

seeyuzz
river
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: twin carb cold air intake Thu, 03 March 2005 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
looks like 2tg had a similar setup originally
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Pit/9975/enginepix/bzpix/2TG.JPG
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: twin carb cold air intake Thu, 03 March 2005 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Yeah they look the same. Nice pic. The 2TG is a sweet little motor with a lot of potential. I think the 2TG runs 40mm carbs, so the base plate for the 18RG (44mm carbs) would need bigger holes. I assume the actual box and cleaner would be the same as the 18RG for cost of manufacture, but I'll have to check my parts catalog to confirm this.

seeyuzz
river
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: twin carb cold air intake Thu, 03 March 2005 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahhhh yes, didnt think of that, im running 40mm dellortos so ill have to get a 2tg one then i think.
luckily the dellortos have the same air filter stud pattern as the solexes!
dont liek my chances of picking one of these from toymods, but i put it in the wanted section just in case.
i'll probably give toyota a visit soon Very Happy

thanks all!
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: twin carb cold air intake Thu, 03 March 2005 21:08 Go to previous message
jesse i have a custom made item that should suit your application perfectly that i dont use anymore. a bit like boris' one but with gradient steps to maintain air pressure to the furthest port. if your interested let me know and ill dig it out and send some pics.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4AC compare to 4AFC
Next Topic:might be getting a st202 Beams half cut...what u guys want from it!!!!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 21:02:31 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0076949596405029 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.