Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 20B...just out of interest.

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
dylusion
Regular

May 2002
20B...just out of interest. Mon, 25 November 2002 00:59 Go to next message
The other day an opportunity for a 20B rotary poped up for me, i was just wondering wether this engine would be legal in my TA22.. just wondering if any one has any ideas??
  Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 20B...just out of interest. Mon, 25 November 2002 01:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The 20B is classed as a 4.0 litre turbo, so it's about twice the size of the biggest engine you can put in a TA22.
dylusion
Regular

May 2002
Re: 20B...just out of interest. Mon, 25 November 2002 01:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BITCHEN... so a 2ltr is the biggest i can go?
dylusion
Regular

May 2002
Re: 20B...just out of interest. Mon, 25 November 2002 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
but whats the go with that guy with the red celica that put the lexus v8 in it?? that is more than 4ltr isnt it?
blackRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 20B...just out of interest. Mon, 25 November 2002 03:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It would be one F*CKIN mental ta22, with 20B power... mate have u investigated an n/a 13B instead?
may be easier to fit and it has been done before atleast. There is still plenty of potential from these motors also, they are a lot of fun. Rotors are a good choice for bang for bucks. They are fairly cheap and easy to draw power from. You just want to put them in something fairly light, like a stripped ta22 Very Happy it would go nuts.

A mate of mine has an n/a 13B standard carby setup in his capella re, and it drops 13B turbo series 4's just for the fact that the car is so light and it has good power from about 2500rpm-->8000+..

Ohwell a toyota's a toyota, and a rotor's a rotor. I dont think its worth mixing two manufacturers gear, its like mixing iced coffee with fanta. haha..
anyway the end result would still be insane.. especially with a 20B shit.
Enjoy

ps i think the legalities differ between states.
Remedy
Regular

August 2002

Re: 20B...just out of interest. Mon, 25 November 2002 03:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd have to say that mixing Iced coffee and fanta would be pretty insane.

I'd like to see someone try it though
blackRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
icon10.gif  Re: 20B...just out of interest. Mon, 25 November 2002 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehehe i wouldnt want to be the one to taste it.

those were the two most opposing texture beverages i could think of at that point. Cos how much do u like an iced coffee.. but how much do u like fanta? theyre both quite good but would make an awful mix.

Id still love to have a 13B in my celica tho Very Happy the looks u would get from ppl...

PEACE
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 20B...just out of interest. Mon, 25 November 2002 23:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no rotor, no motor...

go the P port 13B with a weber Evil or Very Mad If nothing else it'll SOUND bloody tough! (although I wouldn't wanna be driving it to work every day..)
dylusion
Regular

May 2002
Re: 20B...just out of interest. Tue, 26 November 2002 00:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rotary would be very nice... but would guzzle fuel with a carb.. any one got any fuel consumption figures on a 13b with or with out EFI??
juzzo84
Forums Junkie

September 2002
icon13.gif  Re: 20B...just out of interest. Tue, 26 November 2002 03:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my mate has a mild port 13b carby, an it chews petrol worse than a v8 on a burnout FRENZY, not a fuel efficient kinda motor
JUZZO
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 20B...just out of interest. Tue, 26 November 2002 03:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a friend with a bridgeport 13B with Weber in an RX2. It sounds great (fricking noisy though), and it goes pretty hard, but fuel consumption is absolutely horrendous for such a small car. A stock EFI 13B turbo will be just as fast but cheaper (no mods required), be much easier to drive day to day, and use way less fuel. This is definitely the way to go if possible.
dylusion
Regular

May 2002
Re: 20B...just out of interest. Tue, 26 November 2002 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well that sounds the go.. any one on these forums done a 13b efi turbo into a TA22 any legal issues or engineer problems i should know about???
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 20B...just out of interest. Tue, 26 November 2002 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a 20B is classed as a 4ltr N/A, unless you're getting a 20B turbo

of course, I have a feeling the ta22 weighs in at under 1100kg, which means a 4ltr n/a is still illegal.

on the subject of 13B's, a friend had a carb'd 13b peripheral port. it was insanely fast, but he sold it simply because it used an insane amount of fuel.
and you could hear hime 3 blocks away at idle
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 20B...just out of interest. Tue, 26 November 2002 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
All 20B's are turbo... no such thing as a 20B NA. And TA22's are actually less than 1000kg.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 20B...just out of interest. Tue, 26 November 2002 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
really?
never knew that... guess that makes it a definite no Razz
dylusion
Regular

May 2002
Re: 20B...just out of interest. Tue, 26 November 2002 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
according to rod my ta22 weighs in at around 950kg's???
4SFED
Occasional Poster

July 2002
Re: 20B...just out of interest. Wed, 27 November 2002 03:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dylusion wrote on Tue, 26 November 2002 20:26

Well that sounds the go.. any one on these forums done a 13b efi turbo into a TA22 any legal issues or engineer problems i should know about???

**puts hands up**

I am just in the final stages of putting a series 6 13BT into my Ta22, and will definately get it engineered when finished so i dont have any grief on the streets.

I actually orrigionally bought a 20B for it, but it had a cracked end plate so i sent it back and got my money back, and ended up with a 13b.

In hindsight, a 20B is too big for a Ta22 anyway, about 7" longer and a 13B is a bit of a squeeze as it is once you have an intercooler, radiator and big thermo stuffed in there.

I am however building a 20B series 6 street car with a mate at the moment, and it will be a friggen animal.. Laughing

You can see all the pics and stuff of my Celica on my site

www.picknowl.com.au/homepages/frost
Alainve
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: 20B...just out of interest. Thu, 28 November 2002 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
in NSW its illegal to put a 13B turbo into a TA22 Crying or Very Sad Crying or Very Sad Crying or Very Sad the limit is 2.4L NA or 2.88L Forced induction and for rotors you double the total displacement so when You do the sums its not technically legal to put a 12A turbo in a TA22 BUT it is legal in NSW as i have seen a couple of turbo'd 12A TA22's but as for NA a 13B is legal

heres the rta link
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/aboutus/downloads/custom er_information_directory.pdf
dylusion
Regular

May 2002
Re: 20B...just out of interest. Tue, 03 December 2002 02:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alainve wrote on Fri, 29 November 2002 01:40

the limit is 2.4L NA or 2.88L Forced induction and for rotors you double the total displacement

correct me if i am wrong... but wont that make a 13B turbs.. 2.6L?? which is under the 2.88 limit?????
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 20B...just out of interest. Tue, 03 December 2002 02:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think he got his figures back to front... the legal limit is 2.88L NA or 2.4L turbo.
[TOYROTA]
Regular

July 2002
Re: 20B...just out of interest. Tue, 17 December 2002 01:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fuck you guys scared me there for a sec! i thought i had it all down pat with the engineer's cert' thing, i got the TA22 sprayed, bought the 13B, getting it P-ported now, and then i come on here and freaked when you said 2.4 na is the largest! Jezz i hope the 2.88 is correct, can anyone verify this? I'll be stuffed if it's 2.4, i've just poured big bucks into this fucken motor and i better be able to use it!

André
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 20B...just out of interest. Tue, 17 December 2002 04:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that's right... it's 2.4 forced induction, or 2.88 n/a.

I had the .pdf from the rta website, but have misplaced it.
so a 13b peripheral port still only counts as a 2.6L n/a
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 20B...just out of interest. Tue, 17 December 2002 06:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
but whats act like?
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: 20B...just out of interest. Tue, 17 December 2002 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Off the subject b ut wat's it worth if I do drink fanta and iced coffee. Seriously, I'll even do it at a meeting.

Justin
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 20B...just out of interest. Tue, 17 December 2002 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
where on earth did that quesytion come from? Razz

I do that sorta stuff for free, just on a dare.
so probably not worth much Razz

peopel have learnt not to tell me "you cant do that" or "you'd die if you tried that", because they know it means there's a good chance I'll try it in the next few minutes Smile
manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 20B...just out of interest. Tue, 17 December 2002 12:51 Go to previous message
I too eat things for money

i made $ 15 one time to eat a concoction of whatever my friends put together at camp one time

ive eaten other crap too many other times

hey i didnt get sick so im not complaining

Smile

[Updated on: Tue, 17 December 2002 13:03]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Sleepy headlight conversion for ra65?
Next Topic:1GGTE wiring diagram?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 6 23:24:49 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0069448947906494 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.