Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Favourite Engine Removal Technique (RWD)

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Favourite Engine Removal Technique (RWD) Thu, 03 March 2005 12:16 Go to next message
After having a "stimulating discussion" with someone on IRC about engine conversions, the topic of how to remove an engine came up. Now personally i favour pulling the engine and gearbox in one piece. However they preferred to pull the engine first and then drop the box.

My bored, and vaguely curious, question is which do you prefer?

1. Pulling box and engine in once piece
2. Pulling box first and then engine second
3. Pulling engine first and then box second
4. Other...

Send a private message to this user    
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Favourite Engine Removal Technique (RWD) Thu, 03 March 2005 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you have a bolt in upper radiator support panel, there is no argument. engine and box come forward.

box first is always a bitch.
fergo308
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Favourite Engine Removal Technique (RWD) Thu, 03 March 2005 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
depends on the car and what you have on hand. my favourite technique of late is to lift the car and lower the lot out of the bottom in one piece - the reverse of how they're done in the factory.

pulled the 4AG driveline out of my wrecked 86 that way last week here at home. two trolley jacks,one under the box,one under the engine crossmember. lift the shell high enough to get underneath,zap out the two sets of crossmember bolts,and lower away,alternating ends. you then jack the shell up a bit more so it clears the inlet manifold,and pull the lot out on the jacks.

doesn't get much easier than that.

Justin...
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Favourite Engine Removal Technique (RWD) Thu, 03 March 2005 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lifting the shell is prety easy if it's stripped.
and going in/out as 1 piece is always easiest if it will fit. I wouldn't drop the box unless I planned on changing clutch etc anyway, or it wouldn't fit
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Favourite Engine Removal Technique (RWD) Thu, 03 March 2005 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, that woudl be even easier. Infact one of my friends had a pair of strut tops with eye bolts bolted into them so he could lift the chassis on the crane and do exactly that. Although he had a sled of some sort to shift the engine around on. That would certainly be the easiest way to go.

EDIT: was watching a project build on a show before and they had popped the box in first and then lowered the engine into the bay and slotted it into the box. Easy/Hard, what do you guys think.
Personally i thought it would foul pretty easily on the crossmember, but if you dropped that first i can see it working.

[Updated on: Thu, 03 March 2005 13:08]

ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: Favourite Engine Removal Technique (RWD) Thu, 03 March 2005 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i prefer taking engine + box out in one.
theres more bolts to undo by doing the 2nd or 3rd way.getting to some bellhousing bolts can be a pain in the arse.
its easier to get to the bellhousing bolts when its out of the car. and also putting gearboxes on motors is easier when its out

the only reason id rip just the motor out would be if i was doing just an engine conversion. altho lining up the input shaft can be a bit of a pain.

on my engine crane i have a angle adjuster thingy thingy which is good for getting high angles when ripping motor + box out as one.
510rob
Regular

June 2004
Re: Favourite Engine Removal Technique (RWD) Thu, 03 March 2005 20:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
drive the car off a cliff, then just go pick up the motor off the ground because after it falls off the cliff, the motor will usually fall out. Oh yeah, you will need new motor mounts though so factor in that cost, and the cost for a couple of new bolts and washers for the motor mounts, and other than thta, you're pretty much set and ready to go!
andrij
Regular

December 2003
Re: Favourite Engine Removal Technique (RWD) Thu, 03 March 2005 22:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
one way i did it when i was about 22.

Rolled the car onto it's side, and undoing the gearbox and enginebay crossmounts, and jumping clear.

From memory, engine and gearbox dropped down in one piece, but that was about 16 years ago.
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Favourite Engine Removal Technique (RWD) Fri, 04 March 2005 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It really depends on what car it is. For example with 4WD's its not really an option to remove it all at once.

One thing i dont enjoy is fitting the engine back to the gearbox in the car, can get a little tricky and require 2 people sometimes.
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Favourite Engine Removal Technique (RWD) Fri, 04 March 2005 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For some reason I prefer pulling the engine first, then the box. I wish I could do the old lift-shell-drop-everything deal.
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Favourite Engine Removal Technique (RWD) Fri, 04 March 2005 01:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've always pulled the engine and then box. Then when putting back together put the box in first then the engine.

I just find it too tricky getting the engine & box in without making a mess of the paint on the firewall.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Favourite Engine Removal Technique (RWD) Fri, 04 March 2005 02:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just wrap it around a pole or tree.

Nothing could be easier.

http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/spooky/Monaro/MVC-046S.JPG

http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/spooky/Monaro/MVC-047S.JPG

But in all seriousness, if you have a engine crane/hoist, take it out as one, put it in as one.

If you only have a supporting beam and a block and tackle, separate the gearbox and motor. It makes it much simpler.
But with a manual, make sure the clutch is 100% lined up before you put the gearbox back in, otherwise you will have a helluva time getting the input shaft in the clutch.
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Favourite Engine Removal Technique (RWD) Fri, 04 March 2005 02:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was gonna say similar the guy above, but,,

Tie your engine up to a post and then reverse really hard.. Will do all sorts of removal..

(Also works for panels and bumper bars)
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Favourite Engine Removal Technique (RWD) Fri, 04 March 2005 03:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've seen the above method done before some bloke on tv was doing it.
but he tied the rear of the car to a tree then tied a rope around the motor then to another car and drove of as fast as he could.
it was shocking.
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Favourite Engine Removal Technique (RWD) Fri, 04 March 2005 03:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ah, what people do for funnn.
hehe
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Favourite Engine Removal Technique (RWD) Fri, 04 March 2005 05:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ive seen engines removed with 15" grinders and forklifts before.
Seriously though, i am considering putting the box in before the engine on the 1JZ install im doing. mainly due to equipment and location constraints. Sure im doing it with an engine crane, its just a PITA to move it around in either a low garage, or outside on the section laid concrete Neutral
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Favourite Engine Removal Technique (RWD) Fri, 04 March 2005 06:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive only ever removed 18rg and 4ag engines. EVERY time i have done engine and box together.

THe AE71 doesnt have the removable radiator support, but that doesnt matter. A little squeezing and pulling down the back of the gearbox and its all good.

THe RA28 is EASY with the removable radiator support.

as for FWD.... removing engine + box from frontcut = unbolt subfram from chassis and lift off chassis....

If i were to theoretically take out the crown's 1uz... i would still try to do box + eng together.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Favourite Engine Removal Technique (RWD) Fri, 04 March 2005 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
takai wrote on Fri, 04 March 2005 15:44

Ive seen engines removed with 15" grinders and forklifts before.
Seriously though, i am considering putting the box in before the engine on the 1JZ install im doing. mainly due to equipment and location constraints. Sure im doing it with an engine crane, its just a PITA to move it around in either a low garage, or outside on the section laid concrete Neutral

what about if we start to put the engine in next week, as the box wont be here for a couple of weeks, that way we can get mounts, wiring and hoses sorted, then when teh R154 arrives, bolt her up and pretty much ready to go
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Favourite Engine Removal Technique (RWD) Fri, 04 March 2005 06:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
remove gearstick from box & block off output shaft/nozzle
front of car on jack stands, remove gearbox cross member
remove box & engine connected - easier without top radiator support but with chains/hook at right spot the angle-of-removal can be varied as engine lifts up out of car.

helps if you have an idiot willing to stand on gearbox to increase slant Wink

much easier to do any bellhousing bolts and clutch alignment when out of car.

VW's are the easiest, undo about 8 bolts, disconnect a few wires, disconnect axles, disconnect fuel line and gearbox shifter rod - support engine on brocks, lift car off engine (2-3 adults required). With a bit of practice, this can take a little as 15 minutes.

This is often a faster way of changing the spark plugs instead of remove them with engine in situ.
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: Favourite Engine Removal Technique (RWD) Fri, 04 March 2005 06:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the way i enjoy the most is with a sledgehammer, but if i have to put it back in then box attached where i can or engine first box last .. I hate laying under the car in gear oil!!
cooter
Regular

October 2004
Re: Favourite Engine Removal Technique (RWD) Fri, 04 March 2005 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i pulled my engine out last weekend. only had a supporting beam and blok n tackle. engine first then gearbox and reverse going back in. very easy.
ChuckLandwehr
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Favourite Engine Removal Technique (RWD) Sun, 06 March 2005 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4WD best to split box from engine, lets face it, you generally have plenty of access to bolts. Front wheel drives, drop em out the bottom box and all. RWD out the front box and all. Removable radiator support panels help!. Saw a Cressida at the Toyota Nationals, last year, guy obviously did not have an engine hoist. He had cut the fixed radiator support panel out, then welded it back in!Cocky shit weld and all! Good way to get it of a front cut, but not on your pride and joy. Horses for courses, different strokes for different blokes.

regards Chuck.
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Favourite Engine Removal Technique (RWD) Thu, 10 March 2005 21:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have always taken the box off first in my cars, every single one of the bellhousing bolts are easly removed in moments if you know the trick how, I can explain if people want.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Favourite Engine Removal Technique (RWD) Fri, 11 March 2005 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
^^ I would like to know please
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: Favourite Engine Removal Technique (RWD) Fri, 11 March 2005 01:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its called a rattle gun with an extra long extension Wink
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Favourite Engine Removal Technique (RWD) Fri, 11 March 2005 01:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i was thinking this morning of maybe removing the bellhousing from the gearbox at the sandwhich plate...could this work?
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Favourite Engine Removal Technique (RWD) Fri, 11 March 2005 02:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you got it in one IRA11Y

hers what you do:

1- undo accessories inc shifter

2- undo transmission mount and let the engine and trans droop down, sometimes the exhaust holds it up though

3- get a bloody long extension (0.5+ meter)and go from the back of the gearbox over the top of it and straight to the bellhousing bolts (17mm). No uni's or anything like that.

4- undo all but the bolts bar leave one of the big side bolts

5- get something/someone to hold up the end of the trans again

6- undo the last big bolt while holding it up while still holding it up

7- pull down on an angle and wiggle it a bit should come straight out, T50 boxes are amazingly lightweight too so it shouldnt be hard.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Favourite Engine Removal Technique (RWD) Fri, 11 March 2005 06:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
R154s are slightly heavier though. Im still debating whether to just cut out the rad support and make it boltable in. Is that considered a structural item?
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Favourite Engine Removal Technique (RWD) Fri, 11 March 2005 06:09 Go to previous message
it is a structual item and cutting it would be very rough indeed, probably illegal too. I am not a big guy and I have taken out more than one Silvia box now and their pretty bloody heavy so I don't think you should have a problem
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Replacement Hand brake Cable???? Who makes themn???
Next Topic:Trickle Charging a sports car and JEt ski
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 5 15:52:32 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0066699981689453 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.