Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » whats with these sprinter steering arms?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

whats with these sprinter steering arms? Thu, 03 March 2005 14:23 Go to next message
http://img135.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/users/0/3/9/2/hijuseta219-img480x360-106803184910220003-red1.jpg
(pic may not work for long)

I found these on Yahoo japan and it looks to be an interesting product. By the looks of it you chop off your original steering arm and then put this one ontop. Heres the link:

http://page6.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/f3147 3030

or a dodgy google traslation:

http://216.239.37.104/translate_c?hl=en&ie=UTF -8&oe=UTF-8&langpair=ja%7Cen&u=http:// page6.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/f31473030&am p;am p;prev=/language_tools

what do people think? any good?

[Updated on: Thu, 03 March 2005 14:25]

Send a private message to this user    
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: whats with these sprinter steering arms? Thu, 03 March 2005 14:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no, they are aftermarket arms which are shorter then stock.
this will allow you to achieve more steering lock (not less turns lock to lock) good for drift Wink
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: whats with these sprinter steering arms? Thu, 03 March 2005 14:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bah
you just beat me

[Updated on: Thu, 03 March 2005 14:26]

Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: whats with these sprinter steering arms? Thu, 03 March 2005 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sucked in drift wannanbe Razz
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: whats with these sprinter steering arms? Thu, 03 March 2005 14:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah thanks I should of been more specific, I know they are shorter than stick and what that does but would there be any disadvantages? apart from harder than standard steering? like would these be as good as power steering arms?
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: whats with these sprinter steering arms? Thu, 03 March 2005 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well i'd only be questionable about their strength, since stock items are cast forged items and wont break. These custom made ones... who knows what they are made from and how.

advantages of shorter steering arms as stated are more lock, yes slightly heavier steering but a much MUCH more direct steering feel far outweighs any disadvantage Wink

fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: whats with these sprinter steering arms? Thu, 03 March 2005 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Simon-AE86 wrote on Fri, 04 March 2005 01:25

no, they are aftermarket arms which are shorter then stock.
this will allow you to achieve more steering lock (not less turns lock to lock) good for drift Wink

so how does the ball joint bolt in
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: whats with these sprinter steering arms? Thu, 03 March 2005 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh and sorry to answer the orignal question, yes you would have to cut the stock arm, the balljoint then mounts to the arm and then you would need longer bolts to bolt the strut to the steering arm. the new arm is spaced intbetween the old and the strut. so you have the effect of an RCA

however i would be concerned about changing the angle of where the tie rod bolts to the arm...
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: whats with these sprinter steering arms? Thu, 03 March 2005 22:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I think probably better to get the factory power steer arms. Like Simon said moving the tie rod ball joint that much is going to cause issues.
fergo308
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: whats with these sprinter steering arms? Fri, 04 March 2005 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
especially when these will cost you quite a bit more than brand new power steering arms will. mine cost me $125 each the other week.

in theory,it's a good idea,and a good product. in practice,you'd want to ensure lifting the tie rod end by 16mm wouldn't induce bump steer into the front end or bind up and possibly breaking the tie rod's ball joint.

Justin...

[Updated on: Fri, 04 March 2005 01:59]

takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: whats with these sprinter steering arms? Fri, 04 March 2005 05:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It wont bind up on the normal tie rods, they have a pretty big range of movement. But it will induce bump steer.
Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: whats with these sprinter steering arms? Fri, 04 March 2005 17:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not sure but it looks like they have reduced the ackerman steering in those aftermerket steering arms.
Shaggy
Newcomer

March 2005
Re: whats with these sprinter steering arms? Fri, 04 March 2005 23:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You guys are looking at this all wrong.
It should not increase bump steer.

the steering rack is not going to have to leaver up.

The wheel bolts to the strut and the size of wheel decides how far it sits off the ground.
The adapter bolts directly to the bottom of the strut, where the current one does.
It should not make a difference.

Shaggy
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: whats with these sprinter steering arms? Sun, 06 March 2005 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I agree with shaggy, raising the mounting point for the steering knuckle 15mm is the same as having a 15mm thick RCA. Its not the lower arm that needs its angle changed when a car is lowered its the angle of the steering arm. Thats why its possible to eliminate the bump steer by lowering the steering rack instead of installing RCAs. As for the change in acherman angle I cant see it.

fergo308: do you have a part number for those arms? what are they like to use? I don't think they will do me much good for my type of driving but I could be wrong.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: whats with these sprinter steering arms? Sun, 06 March 2005 14:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
because you are merely raising the steering arm height, same as if the RCA wernt there.
Unless you are going to mount off the bottom of the arm?
Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: whats with these sprinter steering arms? Sun, 06 March 2005 20:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

As for the change in acherman angle I cant see it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/JayemofFinland/steeringarmcomparison.jpg

Cant say for sure but it looks like it.
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: whats with these sprinter steering arms? Mon, 07 March 2005 07:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Takai: I see what u mean now, I was thinkign of it in a different way and yeah I think your right.

well that proves you guys have sharper eyes than me, nice work jayem. I wonder though if sprinters have any anti acherman angles in them? maybe it's for the better?
Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: whats with these sprinter steering arms? Mon, 07 March 2005 20:14 Go to previous message
Normally car manufacturers try to aim to true or close to true ackerman. Zero ackerman or reduced ackerman is good for rally and drifting.

[Updated on: Mon, 07 March 2005 20:14]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:where can i get my car engineered/mod plated
Next Topic:IT's ALIVE!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 15 07:14:07 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0066471099853516 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.