Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Crown + 800hp GT42 pics!!!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
MS-75
Regular

June 2002
Crown + 800hp GT42 pics!!! Sat, 05 March 2005 16:27 Go to next message
Thought you lads might like to see the new turbo for the crown that arrived last week.

Garrett GT42
66mm comp wheel (800hp GT wheel)
.6 comp cover
79mm turbine
1.22 ex housing

Reportedly good for 700-800 hp, but with the 17-19 psi boost I'll be running, probably 600-650 is more likely.
(the Trust TD07 it replaces was pushing about 500hp@flywheel)

I knew it would be physically large, but when I opened the box I was shocked......

Intake is 5 inch, exhaust is also 5 inch, and the compressor outlet is 4 inch!!!(oh my god) I'm even going to have to put a bump in the hood to get it to close! (too lazy to fabricate a whole new manifold.....)

http://img228.exs.cx/img228/4673/gt4236am.jpg
http://img198.exs.cx/img198/5684/gt4222yy.jpg
http://img198.exs.cx/img198/9540/gt4210rj.jpg

It does seem that any (remote) pretences I maintained about the crown being a semi-street-driven car have now been firmly binned. Can you imagine me even attempting to snow job a policeman if I got pulled over?

Next time out it will have
BFG drag radials 275/65 15
(in an attempt to snatch the HPI RWD>2400cc radial tyre record from the 8THSIN Supra-even if only briefly dropping the mark to 10.45 or a bit quicker)

A decent big volume plenum chamber set-up
(only had moddded crappy landcruiser one last time)

An extra 6 injectors making 12 in total
(6X13B turbo ones-550cc, to go with the existing GTR 440cc ones)
Tuned up to 19-20 psi on race fuel

Diff ratio up to 3.08 from 3.23 as it went 50 rpm shy of the 6000 rpm redline last time at 125mph.

A 5 POINT HARNESS AND A RACE SEAT!!!!!!!!

Should be at the track in a month or so.

Seeya
Sean
Adelaide

[Updated on: Sat, 05 March 2005 16:29]

Send a private message to this user    
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: Crown + 800hp GT42 pics!!! Sat, 05 March 2005 21:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
holy crap, that is freaking mad Shocked , can i borrow it next time i go to the drags Rolling Eyes

just remember, once u go quicker than 10.99 u will need an andra approved rollcage, so u may only get one run and then they'll tell u to go home and dont come back till its spec'd.

i cant remember the speed limit for needing a chute, i think its either 130 or 135mph

so basically, when u go out, do a few half track passes to make sure its gonna go straight and true, and then go for a full track run, cause u may only get one chance to do it. Smile
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Crown + 800hp GT42 pics!!! Sat, 05 March 2005 21:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I see. You were limited with under bonnet space so you chose that pissy little thing... Laughing

Nice work. Waiting till she's up and running!
slydar
Regular

December 2003
Re: Crown + 800hp GT42 pics!!! Sat, 05 March 2005 21:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ill be honest.

im impressed.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Crown + 800hp GT42 pics!!! Sun, 06 March 2005 00:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep your car is definitiely a frankenstien Confused

I LOVE IT Evil or Very Mad
MS-75
Regular

June 2002
icon14.gif  10.99=Rollcage+ANDRA tech insp? NOT AT AIR!! (seriously-I kid you not.....) Sun, 06 March 2005 00:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mr DOHC wrote on Sun, 06 March 2005 08:28

holy crap, that is freaking mad Shocked , can i borrow it next time i go to the drags Rolling Eyes

just remember, once u go quicker than 10.99 u will need an andra approved rollcage, so u may only get one run and then they'll tell u to go home and dont come back till its spec'd.

i cant remember the speed limit for needing a chute, i think its either 130 or 135mph

so basically, when u go out, do a few half track passes to make sure its gonna go straight and true, and then go for a full track run, cause u may only get one chance to do it. Smile

Ah, Mr DOHC, yes, the 10.99 rule gets mentioned most times I talk about this deathtrap/car/comedy of spare parts, HOWEVER, Adelaide International Raceway is a funny place. It's owned by Bob Jane, like Calder Park. In the mid-late 90's something went down between BJ and ANDRA (I think, although perhaps someone else from Adelaide or Melbourne can clarify?) which resulted in AIR and Calder Park no longer running ANDRA sanctioned events. ie no comp meets.

What it also means though is that ANDRA are not present at AIR in any form and so their rules don't apply either.... Shocked Shocked Shocked There is still scrutineering, however the usual ANDRA way of letting you complete the meet once you have run a ten, but then not allowing you back until 'The List' has been ticked off, doesn't happen. It's all a bit 'freestyle', with there being no real hard and fast rules besides basic vehicle roadworthiness standards Confused . From memory, once you run an 11 at an ANDRA track you have to fit a harness (4 point min?). However, the two times last year that I had the Crown out there with the Landcruiser motor in it, it ran in the 11's both times (0.05 off a ten at the second meet) and none of the AIR staff even looked twice at me. The car was just running new inertia reel shoulder belts and Toyota Surf seats.

The lowdown is that at AIR you can run anything you like as long as it's basically roadworthy!! Having said that though, I suspect that once I run the next meet and (hopefully....)do multiple sub 11.00 runs at 130mph+, they will start tightening up on me just for basic safety reasons.

Last time out on the 11.04sec run with a lazy launch (didn't stall it up at all-just stabbed it off the line so it didn't smoke up) the car's trap speed was 125mph/201kph on the McRearey tyres (25 inches tall) and the datalog on the laptop showed a max RPM of 5950 (redlines at 6000...). On the next visit I'm guessing I should have an extra 100hp at the treads minimum and the short runner intake and bigger arse on the blower should also allow it to pull a lot harder in the 'top end' (ha ha-as if aiming to make power past 4800 can even be classified as 'top end'). Doing my sums again says that with the bigger BFG Drag Radials (27in tall-2in bigger dia than the McRearey X-plys) and the diff ratio changed to 3.08:1 up from the 3.23's, it will reach the 6000rpm redline a bit past 140mph. I'm assuming of course that the changes I'm making to the motor will provide enough grunt to shove through the 13% overall increase in gearing, but even if it doesn't, it should still romp in at well over 130.

What all that MPH crap above was in aid of is this;

Having spent a fair bit of time planning these next set of mods to get the car really hooting, as you can see I've been looking at projected trap speeds a fair bit. Slowly but surely it's dawned on me exactly how fast 130+mph is and exactly how old and designed-like-a-vintage-tractor the Crowns chassis really is Razz Razz Razz -and that even if AIR don't care, I really need to look after myself and take care of the safety side of things. Basically, I'm going to start on the ANDRA 10.99 or faster list of requirements for my own preservation. As a minumum, before I go out again I'll be fitting a 5 or 6 point harness, a 1 piece race seat (no rake adjustment), a tailshaft loop, 2 fire extinguishers in the cab (one of them below my knees) and 2 big battery isolator switches-one in the ANDRA spec external spot and one in the cab where I can reach it when I'm strapped in. I'd also like to go to the Jamboree in November and maybe WSID on the way there or the way back, and so will need everything sorted by then if I want to avoid being kicked out after the first pass! (also want to go to Toyota Nats next year after years of trying)

This probably all sounds a bit excessive, but consider that the turbo on the 8.95@156mph/250kph Bresciani VL commodore is the same one I have but with a comp wheel only one size up (70mm)....and that my engine is 50% bigger in capacity AND has a 4valve head.(I'm NOT saying it'll run in the mid-low nines, just that the trap speed is likely to be getting a bit serious-and a late model car can get ripped to shreds at 150kph-let alone a 33 year old POS like this!!!). Also, because this package has proved to be a lot quicker than I had been estimating when building it, I wasn't prepared for the stupid trap speeds it runs (and will run) and so hadn't planned for 10.99 and under safety when building it.

Anyway-take it easy, and I'll keep you guys posted on progress. I promise video of both the dyno session and when I head to the track!!!

Sean
Adelaide

PS-As for the parachute, with drum rear brakes the ANDRA trap speed requirement is 135mph, and 145mph with rear discs, however at the first outing it should become clear how well the car will pull up. The MS123 front brakes I fitted are not too bad, and the skyline rear discs are great, but as adelaide has such a short run-off area and crown brakes aren't designed to haul up from 200+kph I may need to upgrade again (Huge 80series landcruiser 4-spots are quite tempting....) or start looking at a parachute purely for self preservation........ Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

[Updated on: Sun, 06 March 2005 00:34]

Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Crown + 800hp GT42 pics!!! Sun, 06 March 2005 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You are an inspiration Sean!

It is good to see you thinking of the safety aspects even if AIR aren't very strict. As we all must remember, cars are dangerous and ridiculously fast ones are much more dangerous!

I hope to be in a similar state in maybe a year with my car. But at present with no on track experience it is a bit difficult.

Look forward to seeing some videos and seeing your name moving up the HPI list. That would be awesome to see a non workshop owned car up the top! Smile
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Crown + 800hp GT42 pics!!! Sun, 06 March 2005 03:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When you decide to run, can you post up so some of us can come out? I would be interested in seeing it go.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Crown + 800hp GT42 pics!!! Sun, 06 March 2005 04:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
takai wrote on Sun, 06 March 2005 14:18

When you decide to run, can you post up so some of us can come out? I would be interested in seeing it go.

yes good idea chris, i would love to see this frankenbeast on the track!
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Crown + 800hp GT42 pics!!! Sun, 06 March 2005 04:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats a mean piece of work.

Just wondering, when did the TD07 come on boost and what was the power delivery like?
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Crown + 800hp GT42 pics!!! Sun, 06 March 2005 04:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats one huge bitch!! i'd be happy with your old one!
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: Crown + 800hp GT42 pics!!! Sun, 06 March 2005 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's a rather large turbo!
celicaboy_2000
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Crown + 800hp GT42 pics!!! Sun, 06 March 2005 05:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If only you had 2.. You could have a titty root or should I say a turbo root... Very Happy

Thats one nice turbo, I WANT
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Crown + 800hp GT42 pics!!! Sun, 06 March 2005 07:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sean, I love it, even if I think that it is too big (the car not the turbo).
I do feel that the cardboard intake manifold wont cut it.

Good luck with the crown world record (if it doesn't already belong to you).
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Crown + 800hp GT42 pics!!! Sun, 06 March 2005 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sean how much tourque are you expecting out of the beast?

id imagine the figures would be mind numbing Freak
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Crown + 800hp GT42 pics!!! Sun, 06 March 2005 07:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How do you think that would go on the 1JZ? I'm tempted to waste more money on my car.
toyrota
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Crown + 800hp GT42 pics!!! Sun, 06 March 2005 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
all i can say is holy snapping duck shit Shocked
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Crown + 800hp GT42 pics!!! Sun, 06 March 2005 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That turbo is so big it actually looks big next to the truck engine! Shocked
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: Crown + 800hp GT42 pics!!! Sun, 06 March 2005 20:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ah yes, i didnt realise where u actually ran the car Confused
..J..
Regular

June 2004
Re: Crown + 800hp GT42 pics!!! Sun, 06 March 2005 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
good attitude you have there sean

one of the rajab brothers would still be alive if they were running at a ANDRA track an not air. as the car although on the street at the time would of had a cage and harness.

it amazes me how the can still operate and get insurance with there safety standards
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Crown + 800hp GT42 pics!!! Mon, 07 March 2005 01:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What's the engine it's beside?
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Crown + 800hp GT42 pics!!! Mon, 07 March 2005 01:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a truck motor, as norbie said Smile

landcruiser donk.. 1fz-fe?

4.5L straight six anyhow

[Updated on: Mon, 07 March 2005 01:41]

MS-75
Regular

June 2002
Re: Crown + 800hp GT42 pics!!! Mon, 07 March 2005 01:59 Go to previous message
..J.. wrote on Mon, 07 March 2005 09:41

it amazes me how the can still operate and get insurance with there safety standards

Yes. Indeed...........

That's why I have to look after myself...
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:writing on pistons
Next Topic:7MGE & 7MGTE AUTO Box Differences?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 13 06:48:12 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0057320594787598 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.