Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » EFI conversion on 18RGU- what dizzy?What ignitor? what injectors?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
sbyder
Forums Junkie

May 2002
EFI conversion on 18RGU- what dizzy?What ignitor? what injectors? Tue, 19 November 2002 03:41 Go to next message
As everyone knows i'm converting to EFI, and i have almost everything to convert. What dizzy will i need? I'm going to run Haltech computer eventually, but at the moment i got a 3TGTEU computer for intitial use. Should i go for coils? or just convert dizzy or something? Ideas???
Also what ignitor would be good to use? Would one off a 22RE motor or something be useful?

I'm gunna get RX-7 550cc injectors, what type do i get??
would these ones be ok? :
http://board.performanceforums.com/forums/showthre ad.php?s=&threadid=67135018

Sould i go for low impedance or high impedance injectors?

Any info would be appreciated!
Thanks
Ben
  Send a private message to this user    
roger
Regular

June 2002
Re: EFI conversion on 18RGU- what dizzy?What ignitor? what injectors? Tue, 19 November 2002 05:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would use the following

Coil get from a 87 magna, ignitor from the same.

Convert or get a 18rg electronic ignition.

If you can't find an 18rgeu rip the sensor and tone wheel from any elec dizy that has a similar shaft diameter to yours and graft them in taking consideration of when the tone wheel lines up with the sensor and when the rotor lines up with the dizzy cap electrode and around a 1mm-2mm gap between tone wheel and sensor.

If you are using the 3tgteu computer you want high impedence injectors the ones you suggest are I think? if not get some ballst resitors on them. You may be able to get it running resonable with this setup but tunability of the air flow meter is limiting especially with large injectors and idle quality.
RA23_Sean
Regular

May 2002

Re: EFI conversion on 18RGU- what dizzy?What ignitor? what injectors? Tue, 19 November 2002 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OR get a 22R-E coil, ignitor and dizzy. Much less fiddling about. You shouldn't have any probs finding one either.
sbyder
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: EFI conversion on 18RGU- what dizzy?What ignitor? what injectors? Tue, 19 November 2002 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
will the 22RE stuff bolt in?
Or will i need to modify dizzy, etc...

Thanks
Ben
RA23_Sean
Regular

May 2002

Re: EFI conversion on 18RGU- what dizzy?What ignitor? what injectors? Wed, 20 November 2002 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm not too familiar with the details, but I do remember hearing something about putting the insides of the 22R dizzy into the 18R-G points dizzy. Can't be sure though. It's a common mod in the US and I do remember that however it's done, it's bloody easy. Just pick one up and you should be able to figure out how it'll work.
Pumpkin
Regular

Toymods Board Member

September 2002
Re: EFI conversion on 18RGU- what dizzy?What ignitor? what injectors? Wed, 20 November 2002 22:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've got a 22R-E coil and ignitor on my car (2TGEU).. No problems at all... Nearly bolts straight in..

Get the electronic distributor from the 18R-GEU if you can.. Or you can get electronic conversion kits..
sbyder
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: EFI conversion on 18RGU- what dizzy?What ignitor? what injectors? Mon, 25 November 2002 05:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'm aiming to have EFI in and running within 2 weeks with a 3TGTEU computer and loom. Keeping in mind that Haltech will be my final computer(when i get enough money), what set-up should i run to start with so i dont have to change anything when i convert computers?

Thanks peoples appreciated.
Ben

PS- remember this is all the setting up of a turbo 18RGU- EFI motor, so take the turbo factor into account.
blackRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: EFI conversion on 18RGU- what dizzy?What ignitor? what injectors? Mon, 25 November 2002 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have been advised to use the 22R-E gear (coil, ignitor & AFM) as it supposedly bolts straight up and have the same pin-outs as the RGeu.

What fuel system are u running atm or plan to run? Those series 5 injectors sound like theyre thirsty little buggers.. Do they fit straight into the 18RG efi injector rail?

Does the haltech EMS u want to use utilise an AFM or map/maf/o2 sensors etc? what about the 3t-gte unit?

SORRY:Why use 87 magna items in particular? i know u probably have experience with them but what specific reasons make theses parts perfect for an 18RG/eu? thanks i just am in the process of sourcing parts such as these for my project, and im open to all options. I still think ill go with the corona 22Re gear cos it shouldnt need much alteration from what ive heard..

PEACE
sbyder
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: EFI conversion on 18RGU- what dizzy?What ignitor? what injectors? Mon, 25 November 2002 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
blackRA28 wrote on Mon, 25 November 2002 20:18

I What fuel system are u running atm or plan to run? Those series 5 injectors sound like theyre thirsty little buggers.. Do they fit straight into the 18RG efi injector rail?

I was told the injectors fit in the rail perfectly, but u need to splice the wires up as they have different connector points. I was planning to run a holley red pump to a surge tank then run a VL turbo pump to the fuel rail.

Does the haltech EMS u want to use utilise an AFM or map/maf/o2 sensors etc? what about the 3t-gte unit?

Not sure, not sure and not sure. Smile will soon find out though.

SORRY:Why use 87 magna items in particular? i know u probably have experience with them but what specific reasons make theses parts perfect for an 18RG/eu? thanks i just am in the process of sourcing parts such as these for my project, and im open to all options. I still think ill go with the corona 22Re gear cos it shouldnt need much alteration from what ive heard..

PEACE

Dido......

Thanks
Ben
blackRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: EFI conversion on 18RGU- what dizzy?What ignitor? what injectors? Mon, 25 November 2002 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah sounds like a good setup, good luck with it mate Smile

yeh that last question was directed to roger who made the post regarding the magna bits.

holla

Regular

June 2002
Re: EFI conversion on 18RGU- what dizzy?What ignitor? what injectors? Mon, 25 November 2002 22:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go the 22re parts if they are redily avaliable. I suggested magna because they are cheap bosch module good for when the ignition uses no dwell controll. Have used them in the past on many different projects with great sucess. Wolf suggest them in there manual. But as I said if the 22re has electronic ignition system that fits use it. If you are going to Haltech any way you will be throwing away most of this gear ie ignitor and coil. Because you will be going to dwell control from the ECU. You either need to weld the dizzy up at this stage and use a dwell control ignition module and matching coil, or go to DFI/wasted spark with a cam or crank sensor.

If you have to convert the 22re dizzy to electronic ignition(sorry don't know much about the 22re) I wouldn't bother. Just convert the 18rgeu one I know I could do the 18rgeu for less than $20 so I wouldn't bother with a kit but I have done it before, not difficult.

If you are tuboing the 18rg how will you be retarding the ignition under boost with the 22re dizzy?

Just as a side note I am pretty sure I shoved a 2t dizzy into an 18rg once which ran fine. With this in mind a 3t electronic dizzy may work or if you really want to get the retard under boost a 3tgt dizzy may even fit. If you give me dimensions of the 18rg dizzy I can let you know whether all of these options are possibilites. Just something to note.

Roger

[Updated on: Mon, 25 November 2002 22:31]

sbyder
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: EFI conversion on 18RGU- what dizzy?What ignitor? what injectors? Mon, 25 November 2002 23:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK. Now i'm really confused!
Should i go for coil packs, or should i use a EU dizzy, or a 3TGTEU dizzy, or a 22RE, etc...

What should i run? I dont really want to put something in and pay some hard earned $$$ if i'm only gunna take it out again when i get a new computer?
Is a haltech the best option for me? I just heard that they were really good, but would it suit my predicament?

Basically i'm asking what i should use so that i can put it in and run turbo (eventually) without having to pay for something that i'm not gunna need. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks
Ben
roger
Regular

June 2002
Re: EFI conversion on 18RGU- what dizzy?What ignitor? what injectors? Tue, 26 November 2002 00:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ben,

Sorry to confuse you. I would run the 22re dizzy if you can get it for say $40 any more and you should convert the 18rg dizzy. Get the coil and ignitor from a 22re or a magna should cost you no more than $20 from pick a part. We you run a turbo don't conect the vacum advance up. You won't get the best ignition curve from this setup but if you have to chuck it all for the haltech your only throwing $60 or so. You can run your haltech on this dizzy when you do convert just lock the dizzy up. and if you wanted to upgrade to DFI/wasted spark you can do this later on. This is what I would do.

Roger
sbyder
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: EFI conversion on 18RGU- what dizzy?What ignitor? what injectors? Tue, 26 November 2002 03:34 Go to previous message
ok, thanks for the info. Would you recommend haltech, or should i go something else?

Thanks
Ben
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ENGINE DRY WEIGHT???
Next Topic:Boost Gauge in Soarer's
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 8 13:19:36 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0045959949493408 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.