Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

any sicko's interested in 5m-e's Sat, 05 March 2005 10:24 Go to next message
confirmed today 7m-ge crank and rods work with only minor stuff to fit the 5m-e crank pully on and 7m rods are much chunkyer then 5m-e ones

Allan
  Send a private message to this user    
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: any sicko's interested in 5m-e's Sat, 05 March 2005 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you disgust me allan.
paying so much unwaranted attention to such a god awful heap of shit. Laughing
MS-75
Regular

June 2002
Re: any sicko's interested in 5m-e's Sat, 05 March 2005 16:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No. They are poo.

HOWEVER-one thing I will mention Allan, the 5ME were the larger version of the 4ME, which was of course was the emission version of the 4M. Now the original 4M motors actually produced more power than the 4ME due to not being choked up with smog system crap, but the other advantage they have is that they have a much better head retention setup than the -E series engines. The -E engines have long head bolts that go down through the rocker gear. These are STUPIDLY long and are a large part of the reason the head gaskets pop so often. The straight 4M has short bolts that hold the head on to the block, and then the rocker assembly is held onto the head. Not as good from an assembly plant efficiency point of view (takes longer to put together and has more parts than the -E engines), but much better at holding the head on. The square port old style 4 M head also flows a bit better I think.

So, as you have found, yep, the 5m can go out to 3.0 with the 7M bits, but even better, the original square-port 4m can go out to the same displacement as well-with almost the identical crank case mods, (I know of a bloke who has done it and was rapt with the result), AND you can get hurricane brand extractors for the square port. Would make a sweet motor for a daily driven supra, crown or MK2 corona.

Cheers dude
Sean
Adelaide
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: any sicko's interested in 5m-e's Sat, 05 March 2005 22:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah yeah i know Razz but i want something that looks original in my MA45 and well i dont think anyone else has been quite this silly Smile

efi still craps all over carby tho so can forget about an earlyer model head, and the m-teu manifold dosent fit the early model head.
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: any sicko's interested in 5m-e's Sat, 05 March 2005 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so you're trying to make a 6ME?

3 litre SOHC with efi?

slightly OT: does anyone know what mods were made to the 5mge used in the ma61 race/rally car? i think they were built in the UK, and there's at least one being rebuilt in toowoomba... or was it just a unsmoged 5me?
MS-75
Regular

June 2002
Re: any sicko's interested in 5m-e's Sun, 06 March 2005 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ah yes-but you could always chop the old pattern flange off an M carby manifold and weld it onto the MTEU one?

As an aside, although it's cold weather start-up behaviour was a bit average, the old style 4M that came in my MS-75 with the factory twin SU copy carburettors was a great motor. In my old
MS-65 sedan with a 4 speed manual, 5M electronic dizzy and hurricane extractors it could (and did) wipe any 5ME or 5MG car off the road. Having to pull through the big ugly inlet tract/airflow meter/tiny snorkel really hurts the 2.8s.

Do it do it do it!! (even if only with a U motor-get a big cam into it maybe?)

Cheers
Sean
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: any sicko's interested in 5m-e's Sun, 06 March 2005 02:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
*nods* the afm strangles the shitter out of them converting to LPG it made a HUGE difference... ill do something creative with the efi i think
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: any sicko's interested in 5m-e's Sun, 06 March 2005 04:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heres the mods required...

crank hits block at oil pump mounting here..

http://members.optusnet.com.au/supra80/ma45/7m-te/images/oilpumpmount%20foul.jpg

just ground it away a little

http://members.optusnet.com.au/supra80/ma45/7m-te/images/oilpumpclearenced.jpg

there is also a rib on the drivers side of the block that isnt on the 7m block that only just fouls the rod bolts so that got attacked too

http://members.optusnet.com.au/supra80/ma45/7m-te/images/%232clearenced.jpg

and here is the difference in the crank

7m-ge...

http://members.optusnet.com.au/supra80/ma45/7m-te/images/7mgecranknose.jpg

5m-e...

http://members.optusnet.com.au/supra80/ma45/7m-te/images/5mecranknose.jpg

now back to watching the F1GP...

Allan

ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: any sicko's interested in 5m-e's Sun, 06 March 2005 04:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Were able to get the head off the 7M?

I am glad I didn't go ahead with the 7M crank in the 5M as the engine builder may have said it may not be possible Confused

*PS - F1GP has finished now.
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: any sicko's interested in 5m-e's Sun, 06 March 2005 04:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ZZT231 wrote on Sun, 06 March 2005 15:41

Were able to get the head off the 7M?

I am glad I didn't go ahead with the 7M crank in the 5M as the engine builder may have said it may not be possible Confused

*PS - F1GP has finished now.

yeah went and got another 10mm hex drive Razz

i think your engine builder is a bit of a dick Razz found that fuel leak?
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: any sicko's interested in 5m-e's Mon, 07 March 2005 01:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's too hard to get the filter out so I just tightened the banjo bolt and hope it will hold. As for the Oil sump, I'll check again when I am bothered driving it around...

Now I am looking for another Engine Builder Mad

Cheers.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: any sicko's interested in 5m-e's Mon, 07 March 2005 01:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anything to make the 5me better is a good thing

Ive got a horribly expensive rebuilt one here in dads supra - and its still poo ..

But he wanted matching numbers - i will note external mods though - dont want to have to crack open the block again ( so stroking is outta the question )

joecoolmk2
Regular

June 2004
Re: any sicko's interested in 5m-e's Mon, 07 March 2005 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just thought i'd mention this before everybody goes and hacks up their maninfolds.

You can't just weld the flange from a 4m manifold to the 5m manifold, the ports are spaced further apart on a 4m, making it a very messy, crap flowing manifold if you try it.

the best way to get more power from a 5m-e is to put the 4m pre- pollution(ribbed rocker cover) head and make a whole new port matched e.f.i manifold for it.

the ports on a 4m head are 38mm, i'm currently making a triple-carb manifold for a 4m. the caRBS ARE 40 MM, so i'm using 40mm pipes and port-matching the flange.

another thing, use trumpets on the runner ends, as they greatly increase the velocity of the air, which creates better power and responsiveness.

if you want me to show you some pictures or take some measurements, email me at joecool@tasmail.com . i could even make you one for about$150 plus freight( i live in Tasmania).
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: any sicko's interested in 5m-e's Mon, 07 March 2005 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well im going to see what i can do with the 5m head and manifolds, if it gets over the 100rwkw mark ill be happy
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: any sicko's interested in 5m-e's Mon, 07 March 2005 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WOOT YAY GO 5ME i have one... its so fast man WOW.... oh woops sorry i thought this was the datsun 120y club
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: any sicko's interested in 5m-e's Mon, 07 March 2005 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well im trying to keep the engine bay looking as stock as possable so yes yay 5m-e Razz
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: any sicko's interested in 5m-e's Mon, 07 March 2005 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
keeping it low budget as well?

Megasquirt ECU running fuel & spark
10-20% larger injectors? (anything bosch from a wrecker?)
100% of TB-sized ducting from TB to air filter (truck supplier?)
gutted AFM (to look stock)
install O2 sensor in exh manifold
5mge dizzi (e.g. locked, has 6 tooth reluctor?) to provide rpm and spark distribution
toyo or bosch (ford 4pin?) ignitor to drive bigger/fatter toyo coil
replace drum filter with pod and open up lower sesction of filter cover to get more/cooler air flow
remove CSI

stock fuel pump should suffice, as would FPR

would need reluctor interface to provide clean RPM signal (seach msefi.com), would need ignitor capable of doing dwell.

would need a few hours of logging and maybe even dyno time to get 100Kw plus a decent timing and fuel map.

could probably remove/disable all the emissions crap and still have cleaner exhaust?
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: any sicko's interested in 5m-e's Mon, 07 March 2005 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thechuckster wrote on Mon, 07 March 2005 21:01

keeping it low budget as well?

Megasquirt ECU running fuel & spark
10-20% larger injectors? (anything bosch from a wrecker?)
100% of TB-sized ducting from TB to air filter (truck supplier?)
gutted AFM (to look stock)
install O2 sensor in exh manifold
5mge dizzi (e.g. locked, has 6 tooth reluctor?) to provide rpm and spark distribution
toyo or bosch (ford 4pin?) ignitor to drive bigger/fatter toyo coil
replace drum filter with pod and open up lower sesction of filter cover to get more/cooler air flow
remove CSI

stock fuel pump should suffice, as would FPR

would need reluctor interface to provide clean RPM signal (seach msefi.com), would need ignitor capable of doing dwell.

would need a few hours of logging and maybe even dyno time to get 100Kw plus a decent timing and fuel map.

could probably remove/disable all the emissions crap and still have cleaner exhaust?

thats what im thinking, some falcon 6 injectors (dave did you put eds little fuel rail to use?) gutted XF flapper afm, and some form of cheap tune able ecu, ill give it a go on the 5m ecu first
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: any sicko's interested in 5m-e's Mon, 07 March 2005 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maybe a simple upgrade to 5M-GE ECU ?

that plus ford inj's as it'll do closed-loop with the O2 sensor and probably cope with the larger injectors at idle/cruise.

you'll also get a better ignition system that plugs-n-plays.

if you wanted to stick to the factory fuel rail, 1g-gte injectors (low Z) would fit just perfectly - tho you'd then need to replace the injector plugs in the loom.
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: any sicko's interested in 5m-e's Mon, 07 March 2005 21:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Or then again u could just buy a 7M turbo or a 6MGE that is still sticking wiht hte whole OLD Skool look!
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: any sicko's interested in 5m-e's Mon, 07 March 2005 23:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have a 7m turbo siting in it now but id rather avoid engineering related expences.
boxh34d
Regular

May 2004
Re: any sicko's interested in 5m-e's Tue, 08 March 2005 00:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
has anyone actually ditched all of the smog gear on a 5ME with some success??
just out of curiosity??
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: any sicko's interested in 5m-e's Tue, 08 March 2005 00:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes

http://members.optusnet.com.au/supra80/ma45/whitem a45/
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: any sicko's interested in 5m-e's Tue, 08 March 2005 00:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
boxh34d wrote on Tue, 08 March 2005 11:33

has anyone actually ditched all of the smog gear on a 5ME with some success??
just out of curiosity??

*cough* charles (thechuckster)....whats your opinion on a de U'd 5meu?

Cheers
Wilbo
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: any sicko's interested in 5m-e's Tue, 08 March 2005 00:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
makes no difference till you fuck off that AFM tho a one inch square hole for an inlet is fucked
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: any sicko's interested in 5m-e's Tue, 08 March 2005 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have a bit of my emission stuff cut out, something to do with the nitrogen being fed back into the intake throttles to cut down on emissions and shit... i stuck a ball bearing in there and that has made a little difference. The only thing to come off now is that dumb air pump!
boxh34d
Regular

May 2004
Re: any sicko's interested in 5m-e's Tue, 08 March 2005 01:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how do you go running straight gas with the 5ME???
i heard that these have a habit of chewing out valve seats real bad. . . .
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: any sicko's interested in 5m-e's Tue, 08 March 2005 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
boxh34d wrote on Tue, 08 March 2005 12:33

how do you go running straight gas with the 5ME???
i heard that these have a habit of chewing out valve seats real bad. . . .

on an old cast iron v8 yeah thay did not have valve seats thus hammered into the cast iron but any car that runs unleaded is typicaly fine for LPG

Allan
boxh34d
Regular

May 2004
Re: any sicko's interested in 5m-e's Tue, 08 March 2005 12:21 Go to previous message
fair enough then.
how do you find the performance of the gas carbie set up on it??
obviously the freedom to run decent inlet plumbing would be a big bonus, but have you found any sort of power gains as a result of ignition advance etc?? how is the accuracy of the fuel delivery?
always interesting finding out what people have done to "shitty boat anchor" motors, such as the 5ME.

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Best [read lightest] car for 1j drag duties?
Next Topic:surge tank fuel pump wiring
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 12 19:49:01 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0074059963226318 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.