Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
terrykoun
Regular

December 2003
Changing springs with compressor Fri, 04 March 2005 04:46 Go to next message
hey, Ive had these lowered springs for bout a year now, and ive now got time to put them in. I just bought a coil spring compressor from supercheap.

What confuses me is that the maximum size was 9", and not even the lowered spring is 9" long, its a bit more. So, when you put the compressor on, can you just attatch it to the lower coils and just squeese together the inner coils not the outside coils?? i hope that made sense.....

And do you fully compress them or just tighten them so it holds the pressure?? Ive heard different things.

When youve taken em out and removed the top of the strut, whats stopping the spring from flying off when you take off the compressor???

thanks
  Send a private message to this user    
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Changing springs with compressor Fri, 04 March 2005 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you attach in the middle of the spring and then use it to compress the middle, this shortens it enough to fit. Think you don't want it on the top or bottom as it won't sit in place while you are working on it.
Do not fully compress take them to a height just a little below then height needed to change the springs, if one snaps or the spring snaps while you are working on it cos of to much tension the results are not pretty
terrykoun
Regular

December 2003
Re: Changing springs with compressor Sun, 06 March 2005 04:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yea true, cheers man.

also, ive heard you loosen the piston rod upper nut, the one in the middle of the ones holding the upper strut mount, whilst its still on the car. I know to Definately not unscrew it, and im scared to f**k with it without the compressor on it. But apparently, its near impossible to unscrew it when the whole strut is out, cause its hard to get a good grip. So what do u guys reckon bout how much to loosen??? how long are the threds normally???
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Changing springs with compressor Mon, 07 March 2005 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
we did ours with it off the car bloody hard but we did it, mind you my dad and I gripped the strut whilst my uncle removed it.
Ra28Freak
Regular

September 2004
Re: Changing springs with compressor Mon, 07 March 2005 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it wont twiswt off just crack it so its not locked tight ita all good man you can do it
Nolan
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: Changing springs with compressor Mon, 07 March 2005 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey All,

we were using those little spring ccompressors at work ( the ones that are like mini vises that u clamp on either side of the spring ) and one of them flew off and the spring was bent over and just holding on by the other spring compresson Razz

no1 was game enuf to go near it and undo the other compressor in case it went flying off..it sat there for about 4 hours lol

well i hope this gives u confidence hehehe

NOLAN
Hunty
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Changing springs with compressor Mon, 07 March 2005 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just get stuck into it mate its not hard, i must have done my springs about 4 times. yeh loosed that nut on the top of the strut while the car is still on the ground a couple of turns should be fine, it wont go flying off. then yank the strut out of the car, wack on the compressors and pull the spring down enuff so that you can undo the strut top nut easily and so that the strut cap is not under pressure, well not too much pressure then take the hat off, take the spring out. compress new spring to minimum height needed to get the strut cap back on, make sure u get the spring all lined up correctly in the bottom of the strut and the strut cap is on correctly and aimed in the right direction there might be a arrow pointing outwards, mine did. then repeat x 3
trevtrev
Regular

October 2004
Re: Changing springs with compressor Tue, 08 March 2005 02:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Terry
Small thread hijack here.
I was just trying to source springs, struts etc for a lowering job on my AE90. The guy at the auto parts shop said I also need Camber kits. I have not read this on any of the forums here.

Trev
Bobski
Regular

I Supported Toymods

May 2004
Re: Changing springs with compressor Tue, 08 March 2005 04:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the middle nut is easy to crack./...just remove the assembly....get vice grips and a stubby holder...yank the bottom of the stuby hol;der out and grip with the vice grips over the top of it near the top of the strut....works a treat....and dont be scared of spring compressors u girly man Rolling Eyes its not the tools that hurt u its the n00bz using them

Adam
terrykoun
Regular

December 2003
Re: Changing springs with compressor Tue, 08 March 2005 04:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yea cool no worries. I dont have a vice so id probably just loosen a turn or two. but when youve takent the strut cap off, whilst the standard spring is compressed, how do you take the spring compressor off the standard spring?? Isnt the spring already compressed when its inside the strut?? So if you take it off, it will go flyin wont it??
terrykoun
Regular

December 2003
Re: Changing springs with compressor Tue, 08 March 2005 04:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont know bout the camber kit... i reckon sport shocks woud be more nessessary...
terrykoun
Regular

December 2003
Re: Changing springs with compressor Tue, 08 March 2005 04:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont know bout the camber kit... i reckon sport shocks woud be more nessessary...
soaringmik
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Changing springs with compressor Tue, 08 March 2005 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
terrykoun wrote on Tue, 08 March 2005 15:38

how do you take the spring compressor off the standard spring?? Isnt the spring already compressed when its inside the strut?? So if you take it off, it will go flyin wont it??

Thats why you use the compressor,.. to compress the spring to the point where there is no longer any pressure on the strut top... then you undo it and remove the spring,..

easy
terrykoun
Regular

December 2003
Re: Changing springs with compressor Wed, 09 March 2005 05:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yea i know that, but im saying when you take the standard spring out of the strut, how do you get the compressor off.
Hunty
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Changing springs with compressor Wed, 09 March 2005 05:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
are u serious?
Bobski
Regular

I Supported Toymods

May 2004
Re: Changing springs with compressor Wed, 09 March 2005 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mate....get a profesional to do it...u will just do urself an injury.... Rolling Eyes
terrykoun
Regular

December 2003
Re: Changing springs with compressor Fri, 11 March 2005 03:32 Go to previous message
na i get it, i thought bout it after i typed the question.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:different regrind specs on 2tg cams...
Next Topic:removing locknuts without a key
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 21 22:41:00 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0054099559783936 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.