Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
DFECTD
Regular

August 2004
Changing Gearbox Oil in 4AGE Tue, 08 March 2005 07:20 Go to next message
I have a 86kw 4age, I am woundering how do i Change the gearbox oil?

Or how do i top it up i cant seem to find the dipstick

[Updated on: Tue, 08 March 2005 07:21]

Send a private message to this user    
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Changing Gearbox Oil in 4AGE Tue, 08 March 2005 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It is manual right?

There will be a nut that can be undone on the side of the gearbox to fill it. The idea is to put a finger inside the filler hole and on a flat level surface the oil level should be flush with the bottom of the filler hole.

I suggest you get a Hynes or Gregory's manual for your car Smile
It will be able to answer many of your questions if you wish to work on your car Smile

Cheers
Wilbo
DFECTD
Regular

August 2004
Re: Changing Gearbox Oil in 4AGE Tue, 08 March 2005 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can only find car guide for a 4A-C engine, and taht doesnt really help, since my engine is 4AGE.

Anyone know where i can get good book for 4AGE.
Big T
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Changing Gearbox Oil in 4AGE Tue, 08 March 2005 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Depending on what car you have, you won't need a 4age manual to change the box oil. I only know about the RWD versions but a 4ac and 4age use the SAME box... a t-50. FWD... i got no idea.
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: Changing Gearbox Oil in 4AGE Tue, 08 March 2005 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Big T wrote on Tue, 08 March 2005 19:04

Depending on what car you have, you won't need a 4age manual to change the box oil. I only know about the RWD versions but a 4ac and 4age use the SAME box... a t-50. FWD... i got no idea.

Im asuming yo have a AE82?

Sounds about right BigT, although fwd and rwd will have different gearboxes i very highly doubt the service info on a 4ac equiped car (gearbox wize) will be any different then a fwd 4ag.

Too make it easier, get your self some coins and head to the local Library and start photocoping.

Cheers

Steve
DFECTD
Regular

August 2004
Re: Changing Gearbox Oil in 4AGE Tue, 08 March 2005 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK

its AE82 TWIN CAM

I think i have AW11 Mr2 engine, because i have Oil cooler, and I have Red and BLack writing.

Yea I went to look under my car, i Know where to do it now, but Im not sure how much to fill up the OIl, use the whole bottle or what?
kayot1k
Regular

July 2003

icon13.gif  Re: Changing Gearbox Oil in 4AGE Tue, 08 March 2005 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hahahah mr2 engine.

lol, do you need step to step instructions or what.
wilbo666 has already stated simply what to do and that is exactly how you change the oil and check the level.

be creative.

[Updated on: Tue, 08 March 2005 10:12]

FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: Changing Gearbox Oil in 4AGE Tue, 08 March 2005 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I highly doubt it would take more then 2lts,

General rule of the thumb is, fill till you cant fit anymore, (ie) it spills out.

Cheers

Steve
sonwill
Regular

February 2005
Re: Changing Gearbox Oil in 4AGE Sat, 12 March 2005 05:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, just drain all the oil out by pulling out the large bolt on the bottom right of the gearbox. then undo the large bolt halfway up on the front of the box and start filling! (put the drain plug back in) when it is full fluid will just overflow out(make sure you are on a flat surface). Easy.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Changing Gearbox Oil in 4AGE Sat, 12 March 2005 15:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Changing the oil in any gearbox or diff is usually a fairly easy task so long as you can access the filler and drain plugs with a decent ratchet and socket.

1. Undo filler plug. (you don't want to drain the oil and discover that you can't undo the filler plug now do you!)
2. With a oil tray underneath undo drain plug
3. When oil stops coming out do the drain plug back up.
4. Fill with appropriate gearbox oil until it starts coming out the filler plug.
5. Do up filler plug.
6. Dispose of stinky gearbox / diff oil thoughtfully.

The job is a million times easier if you have an oil pump. Very Happy

[Updated on: Sat, 12 March 2005 15:14]

thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Changing Gearbox Oil in 4AGE Sat, 12 March 2005 16:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toobs wrote on Sun, 13 March 2005 02:13

Changing the oil in any gearbox or diff is usually a fairly easy task so long as you can access the filler and drain plugs with a decent ratchet and socket.

1. Undo filler plug. (you don't want to drain the oil and discover that you can't undo the filler plug now do you!)
4. Fill with appropriate gearbox oil until it starts coming out the filler plug.
5. Do up filler plug.

WOW!!
This is exactly what I wanted to know how to do.
Cheers Very Happy
Nolan
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: Changing Gearbox Oil in 4AGE Sat, 12 March 2005 21:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toobs wrote on Sun, 13 March 2005 02:13

5. Do up filler plug.

man that shit stinks doesnt it, some of the guys at work put it on my shirt,fuckin stunk, they thought they were funny intill my boss told me to go home and change because i couldnt sit in a customers car like that Razz, so i got 2 go home get changed and come back, and i got payed for all of it Very Happy

CHEERS

NOLAN
mk1sc
Regular

March 2004
Re: Changing Gearbox Oil in 4AGE Sun, 13 March 2005 01:20 Go to previous message
i use syntrax, doesnt smell as bad as normal diff/gear oil. the oil its even red aswell, goes faster Very Happy

anyway if u havent somehow to pump the oil in filler plug just use a garden hose or similar, with a funnel guide it to the top and fill it there

luckily i have another filler plug right at top of the gearbox can be accessed in engine bay and i know exactly how much oil mine takes(3.8L)

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:How to RAISE your 3SGTE from an ST185 GT4
Next Topic:RA23 Suspension
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 21 14:30:00 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0065619945526123 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.