Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » how important is a thermostat. ????

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
kayot1k
Regular

July 2003

how important is a thermostat. ???? Tue, 08 March 2005 10:21 Go to next message
hey boyz, just wondering how important of a role does a thermostat play in the engines cooling system.

my current thermostat was cut so its a straight through flow, this was only temporary as a quick fix until i installed a new one.

the thing is i have bought a genuine toyota thermostat but running a 4agze constantly running hott which i believe is really common for gze's. so i figured if i left the cut thermostat in the cooling system it would remain cooler as i notice the heat reduces on a constant long drive.

i dont really see the difference besides the obvious that it allows your car to warm up quicker as it blocks the coolant runing from the engine until it hits the right temp and allows coolant to flow to radiator ?

besides that , does it really play anyother major roles?

regards
  Send a private message to this user    
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: how important is a thermostat. ???? Tue, 08 March 2005 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
engine never heats up properly
NOT GOOD
DiZ_
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: how important is a thermostat. ???? Tue, 08 March 2005 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Regulates the water flow between radiator and the engine during warm up for a faster warm up.

Keeps engine at operating temperature for the correct tolerance values to be achieved.

Acts as a flow restrictor to ensure heat is disapaited through the system at the correct rate.

Removing it is a stupid thing to do , my 4agze does not over heat a t all.
kayot1k
Regular

July 2003

Re: how important is a thermostat. ???? Tue, 08 March 2005 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that bad huh?

i was trying to avoid heating problems.

and again, diz putting "your 4agze" above others i really dont care.

[Updated on: Tue, 08 March 2005 10:33]

fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: how important is a thermostat. ???? Tue, 08 March 2005 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the thermostat keeps the internal parts at a temp that they have been designed to run at. without a thermostat the metal does not expand as it should under heat and therefore can lead to the pistons and rings not expanding enough to seal the cylinder correctly.

also without a thermostat your fuel econaomy is sent out the shitter as the ecu reads the car as always being cold and therefore uses more fuel.

if you are worried bout heating/over heating then get a cold thermostat, most commonly hermostats open at 83c and the cold ones are bout 78c or round there and those 5c can make huge differences.

otherwise you can go for custom made ones (dont ask me where, i just know you can get them made) to the temp you want.

this being said i ran my TA22 3T for 4 years with no thermostat and have never had an issue other than it smoking at its peak rev range, this is cause there is oil still in the cylinders as the piston/rings are not able to clean it on strokes from the metal not expanding as required
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: how important is a thermostat. ???? Tue, 08 March 2005 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the other important thing that was not mentioned is that the thrmostat is a restriction and puts "back-pressure" into the block

no no, not like exhaust back pressure.. what it does is slithgly increase the water pressure (only a bit) but it means when you get vapourisation, the bubbles are more likely to collapse (until the water gets hot enough and has a high enough vapour pressure to maintain the bubbles)....

think of it as pressure cooking.. the water has a higher boiling point, which, while the average temp is not that hot, the hot spots are less likely to produce bubbles..

also slightly decreases pump cavitation for the same reasons..
ChuckLandwehr
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: how important is a thermostat. ???? Tue, 08 March 2005 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Like the other guys said, thermostat regulates water flow through system.

If your themostat is 85Deg C, then the water coming from the radiator, must always be lower than 85Deg C. Cool

I have used a thermo fan switch, which is on, at 82Deg C, and switches off at 78 Deg C.

Some dumbarse Natrad guy, wanted to fit a 100Deg C thermo switch, long off short on! Razz Razz Razz

Fit your new thermostat, and check the rest of your cooling system.

regards Chuck.
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: how important is a thermostat. ???? Tue, 08 March 2005 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that restriction in flow also increases the time the water spends travelling thru the radiator and loosing heat.
DiZ_
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: how important is a thermostat. ???? Tue, 08 March 2005 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kayot1k wrote on Tue, 08 March 2005 21:30

that bad
and again, diz putting "your 4agze" above others i really dont care.

Not my fault your car is fucked buddy.
SLY-T18
Regular

Banned User

February 2005
Re: how important is a thermostat. ???? Tue, 08 March 2005 17:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i never knew that a thermostat could be that important... Embarassed Embarassed

...maybe i should put one back in...
kayot1k
Regular

July 2003

Re: how important is a thermostat. ???? Wed, 09 March 2005 07:10 Go to previous message
thanks boyz for the info , i now see how much of a difference a thermostat really makes.

and for you diz, your an egghead
' not your fault my car is fu**ed? '
mate your rubbish.
enough said.

Surprised
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Resetting springs
Next Topic:Levin grills need help
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 7 23:57:00 UTC 2024