Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Has anyone every installed an alarm or central locking?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
insalubrity_macca
Regular

September 2004

Has anyone every installed an alarm or central locking? Tue, 08 March 2005 11:22 Go to next message
Hey every1, i want to get an alarm for my car and possibly remote central locking. Problem is its $319 and $400 for installation respectivly. Can someone giv me a degree of difficulty, is it easy to do yourself, because the alarm is my main priority. Cheers Fella's
  Send a private message to this user    
Hunty
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Has anyone every installed an alarm or central locking? Wed, 09 March 2005 01:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
get a test light, electrical tape, wire strippers, heat shrink, solder, soldering iron, self tapping screws, some common sense, a little bit of electrical/electronic knowledge and you can wire up the alarm with out to much problem, if it will be legal and up to scratch for insurance purposes well tht might be a hard one, my insurance company told me that i needed to have it instlled by a professional auto electrician,
central locking is a piece of piss, rip the door covers off and get cracking, there should be instructions with it, and you should be able to hook up the central locking to the alarm for keyless entry and auto lock the doors when teh alarm is armed

must be a good alarm for that price i got my central locking kit for 4 doors for $39 and the alarm was a rhino gx or something from dicksmith for $79. then i added in ultra sonic motion detectors for another $30. took me about a day to install everything, biggest pain was drilling holes for the central locking wiring to go thru

Jaycar electronics do quite good alarm systems for reasonable prices, you might want to look into that before you by a name brand alarm that may not have all the features of something like the jaycar one.

also search the forum for any other info you need as there is tons of stuff on here

good luck
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Has anyone every installed an alarm or central locking? Wed, 09 March 2005 01:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont buy an alarm form the internet or from some cheap ass place

they have fukt instructions and have hassles with warranty
Silver_r33
Occasional Poster

November 2004
Re: Has anyone every installed an alarm or central locking? Wed, 09 March 2005 01:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As long as you've got some idea on how to use a multimeter/test light and soldering iron you've got no troubles. Central locking is a piece of cake, have a drill on hand, shouldnt take more than a couple of hours. The harderst part is the 1st one deciding on how the actuator will sit, but after that its a breeze.

I'd recommend getting an all black wired alarm thats insurance approved for piece of mind IMHO. Also think of isolating different circuits that arent commonly used instead of the usual spark, fuel pump and starter motor - perhaps AFM/MAF, CAS and TPS?

My 2c Smile
pushrod_POWA
Regular

January 2005
Re: Has anyone every installed an alarm or central locking? Wed, 09 March 2005 01:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i've done it in my car. its easy as
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Has anyone every installed an alarm or central locking? Wed, 09 March 2005 02:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EASY

only cost me $80 all up for remote central locking and immobiliser (can do alarm, auto boot opening, auto window wind up and all that crap but didnt install the rest)
dicksmith does rhino kits pretty cheap. thats where i got mine
insalubrity_macca
Regular

September 2004

Re: Has anyone every installed an alarm or central locking? Wed, 09 March 2005 06:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jesseT18 wrote on Wed, 09 March 2005 13:22

EASY

only cost me $80 all up for remote central locking and immobiliser (can do alarm, auto boot opening, auto window wind up and all that crap but didnt install the rest)
dicksmith does rhino kits pretty cheap. thats where i got mine

Yea mate i just went to see Dick Laughing ... and um the rhino thing comes in different models with different functions obviously and it was $100 there. The central locking kits were $50 but i would seriously be surprised if the car i pick up on saturday doesnt already have central locking. (ae92)
twincam_ke20
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: Has anyone every installed an alarm or central locking? Wed, 09 March 2005 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i just installed a remote c/2dr lock and immob in my ke25, easy as, hardest thing was drilling though the door jam to feed the wires to the locks Razz

krayzie
Regular

April 2003

Re: Has anyone every installed an alarm or central locking? Wed, 09 March 2005 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rhino car alarms are a good brand if you go for the Rhino JAG with the optional battery backup siren its a good buy. It comes with all black wiring and is Australian designed and made with three year warranty. This alarm is insurance approved as well.

This is a new alarm they have released and I have installeed over 50 of them for my customers and I swear buy it ... I use them all my cars.

If you want more info Pm me.

Cheers
Andrew
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: Has anyone every installed an alarm or central locking? Wed, 09 March 2005 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
definately go it yourself. i dont think the quality of the alarm is parramount, just got for all black wiring and get it from a shop so you can take it back if there are problems etc.
i think the most important bit is the install. if you spend the time running the wires through the original loom and hiding the alarm well, it will do better than a top of the line alarm just sitting under the steering column.
i was stupid and went out and bought and expensive viper alarm, if i did it again id buy a cheaper one and do the same install.
dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Has anyone every installed an alarm or central locking? Wed, 09 March 2005 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
central locking is easy, i had no experience and i worked it out Surprised Laughing

Just give it a go, if you have any probs, im pretty sure there will be at least 10 people here willing to help out Very Happy

As for the alarm, get a professional to do it, otherwise insurance can weasel their way out of paying a claim if that ever happens...
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: Has anyone every installed an alarm or central locking? Wed, 09 March 2005 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
has anyone ever heard of an insurance company asking for receipts to prove the alarm was installed by a qualified person?
dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Has anyone every installed an alarm or central locking? Wed, 09 March 2005 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EVOSTi wrote on Wed, 09 March 2005 22:12

has anyone ever heard of an insurance company asking for receipts to prove the alarm was installed by a qualified person?

dont think so, but ive heard them refusing to pay for a claim because they've somehow found out that it was installed by you or a unlicensed person.

Where there's a will, theres way Evil or Very Mad Try get a mates mate to do it if they're qualified, or someone from here for mates rates Very Happy
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: Has anyone every installed an alarm or central locking? Wed, 09 March 2005 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i wonder if a mechanic is considered by insurance as qualified to install an alarm.
Hunty
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Has anyone every installed an alarm or central locking? Wed, 09 March 2005 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes, my insurance company told me in the event of a THEFT claim i MAY need to provide proof that the alarm system was installed by a QUALIFIED/CERTIFIED Auto Electrician, and that it meets appropriate ADR's ect ect

well bugger if i know who installed the flashpoint v3 system in the mr2, it looks bloody back yard styles to me with all the dodgy wiring i found in it, i've ripped heaps of shit out to clean it up, ive found 2 hidden kill switches already that werent connected to anything and a weird looking relay hooked up to a capacitor and all sorts of weird and wonderful things. eh it works tho, kinda lol
arasta
Occasional Poster

December 2004
Re: Has anyone every installed an alarm or central locking? Wed, 09 March 2005 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TWO unused kills? LMAO! off an mr2 you say? i realy need to get a setup for mine so if its easy to tap one in mebbe i should ..err.. relieve you of some of that dead weight Very Happy

nemind if you already had plans for them.
Cheers
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: Has anyone every installed an alarm or central locking? Thu, 10 March 2005 04:00 Go to previous message
dude switches are worth like $3, go buy new ones.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1ggte -> RT104 Corona
Next Topic:megasquirt ecu or vems ecu?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 18 01:53:24 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0051660537719727 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.