Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Elements of turbocharging a 4k in a KE10

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Fatterthanyamumma
Occasional Poster

June 2004
icon5.gif  Elements of turbocharging a 4k in a KE10 Mon, 21 June 2004 04:28 Go to next message
I have a 1969 ke10 with a 4k in it, which has just done a head and fried the rings. So, I am considering the alternative of turbo charging it. I have had a few turbo cars in my time, but all were factory turbo cars.

Can someone please advise (preferably who has attempted/done it before) of what is needed and how you have gone about it. I understand the basics, but the specifics is really what I am after.

I am not after suggestions of other conversions either, I am just keen to have some fun and work with what I have/have left of the 4k.

Cheers.
Very Happy
  Send a private message to this user    
4ageeza
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: Elements of turbocharging a 4k in a KE10 Mon, 21 June 2004 04:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forced induction on a carby motor is not very benefitial at all, it if is even possible? I would make a suggestion, but you don't want me to Razz
alex_ta22
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Elements of turbocharging a 4k in a KE10 Mon, 21 June 2004 04:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cant u get efi off a later K series, 5K ??
z|gen
Regular

June 2004
Re: Elements of turbocharging a 4k in a KE10 Mon, 21 June 2004 05:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a 5K engine would work, take a look at Jet_Ke10, which is a 5K block with a 7K head i think, dont quote me on that though,
they have a member profile on car domain, could be worth checking out and having a chat to them.

EDIT: heres the link for you
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jet_ke10
shagging awesome car.

[Updated on: Mon, 21 June 2004 05:34]

Fatterthanyamumma
Occasional Poster

June 2004
icon14.gif  Re: Elements of turbocharging a 4k in a KE10 Mon, 21 June 2004 05:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
z/gen - cheers.

alex_ta22 - EFI would unltimately be the go, for sure.

4ageeze - surprise me Very Happy

Keep the info rollin peeps Smile
4ageeza
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: Elements of turbocharging a 4k in a KE10 Mon, 21 June 2004 06:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well I guess it depends of what power output you are after, and ultimately money you have. Also comes down to preference. I reckon there would be a decent amount of work and money modding a 4k for a turbo, plus the motor has a weaker bottom end, not designed for forced induction. IMO in a KE-10 a 4agte would be nuts, but is expensive. Alternatively for less effort you could simply fit a 4agze. For alot less again you could go a 4age, although only n/a, it would give you good power for money and effort.

That is my 'unbiased' opinion Rolling Eyes
Fatterthanyamumma
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Re: Elements of turbocharging a 4k in a KE10 Mon, 21 June 2004 06:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4ageeza - Ok, I see your point.

Basically, having fun doesn't happen these days because quite obviously you are suggesting that I will run into drama's - right? Fair enough, I see where you are coming from with that bottom end comment.

Say I went the 4AGZE.. any idea what I'm gonna pick one of those puppies up for?

Personally I like the idea of a Turbo, rather than a Supercharger (as most would these days, with the hype ad all behind the jap scene). I have only ever got bad vibes from people who have worked with superchargers.

Alternatively, the N/A sounds like a better option for me, as I know that if I put the 4AGZE in the car it'll go past the motor and gear box for expenses.

Any idea of a price for the 4AGE and the mods to be done?

Thanks again.
z|gen
Regular

June 2004
Re: Elements of turbocharging a 4k in a KE10 Mon, 21 June 2004 07:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not sure on aussie prices, but over here in NZ
you can usually pick a 4A-GE up for $600, then gearbox for maybe $350ish, then you can have all the time taken to fabricate the mounts and stuff, being able to do most of the work will save you heaps of $$$ and also rebuilding the engine would be a wise move, then you'l also have to do the suspension, brakes etc and get a cert for it so its all legit..

A few mods for a 4A-GE are, pod filter, exhaust, cams etc etc
4ageeza
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: Elements of turbocharging a 4k in a KE10 Mon, 21 June 2004 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rolling Eyes *points to top right hand corner icon named 'search'* Rolling Eyes

Good luck. Smile
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Elements of turbocharging a 4k in a KE10 Mon, 21 June 2004 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4Ag in KE10 is a lot of work.

5K turbo in KE10 has been done by Boost_queen in adelaide. she runs a J-pipe under the motor to get to the turbo.. not my idea of fun..

the problem is that you have a 1 foot cube in which to put intake and exhaust.

both 4KE and 7KE manifolds would work, 4KE would need larger throttle body. a T25/t25G should be interesting, and from my cague measurements, might fit on the manifold side with some creativity.

i would suggest you look at mounting the motor upright to giv you more manifold space.

look fere for comparison pictures of 4KE and 7KE

http://www.materials.unsw.edu.au/~sford/7ke4ke.htm l

if you can do work yourself, it should be fairly cheap, but runnign carbs is not so great.. a cheap EFI system would be a better option..

Cya, Stewart

ps, the K motors can take more punishment than most ppl expect Wink but they are limited in rpm to around 8000 for road, and the head do become the restriction.
aeke
Regular

July 2003
Re: Elements of turbocharging a 4k in a KE10 Mon, 28 June 2004 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go the turbo 4k!!!! big j pipe off a ke70 manifold, mount the turbo on the lh side of the motor run back through an intercooler then into an injection manifold with a cheap fuel only aftermarket computer. Get a collection of 4k and just see how much boost they can take stock and go have some fun. Heard along the grape vine that the KE10 in Adelaide with the turbo 5k made 130rwk!!!!! and considering a a KE15 with 4agte and 150rwk run 12.7 with street tyres that is one quick KE10 with a mighty K motor.
Fatterthanyamumma
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Re: Elements of turbocharging a 4k in a KE10 Wed, 02 March 2005 04:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shite! Here's an old topic.. ahh, those were the days when a turbo 4k was in mind..
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Elements of turbocharging a 4k in a KE10 Wed, 02 March 2005 05:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fatterthanyamumma wrote on Wed, 02 March 2005 15:45

Shite! Here's an old topic.. ahh, those were the days when a turbo 4k was in mind..

been grave digging of late? or just learned how to use the search function Wink
Fatterthanyamumma
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Re: Elements of turbocharging a 4k in a KE10 Wed, 02 March 2005 05:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just reminiscing.
hinricp
Regular

June 2002
Re: Elements of turbocharging a 4k in a KE10 Tue, 08 March 2005 01:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A recent Zoom magazine had an article on a turbo k engine in a KE10. The trick appears to be to hunt down the efi mainofild that came on some import 5ks

If you are still interested I will try to track down the magazine
Fatterthanyamumma
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Re: Elements of turbocharging a 4k in a KE10 Tue, 08 March 2005 01:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cheers buddy.. I saw that article.

I've convinced myslef not to go ahead with any mods on the car now, as it's only gonna get me in to strife. Rolling Eyes
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Elements of turbocharging a 4k in a KE10 Tue, 08 March 2005 03:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hinricp wrote on Tue, 08 March 2005 12:17

A recent Zoom magazine had an article on a turbo k engine in a KE10. The trick appears to be to hunt down the efi mainofild that came on some import 5ks

If you are still interested I will try to track down the magazine

only 4KE and 7KE are injected. afaik all 5K's were carby?

heh heh, an NA 4K is enough to get into strife, but not usually enough to kill you Wink
indigoid
Regular

September 2002

Re: Elements of turbocharging a 4k in a KE10 Tue, 08 March 2005 23:31 Go to previous message
forced induction on a carby motor is entirely possible Smile it's just a bit different to EFI. I've heard that Weber ADFA carbs from old Fiats (131s and similar) are very good for forced induction rigs on K motors...

I say go for it! My dream involves a big stinking turbo, some racing fuel, a certain KE11, and a 3K engine. EFI though Smile

Have a look at that pic of the 7K-E and 4K-E injection rigs that Stewie posted. IMHO the 4K-E setup might be more suited to a turbo KE1x... Also concur heartily with Stewie's suggestion regarding sitting the motor upright, as it should give you fucktonnes more space on the manifold side
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4agte using stock ecu
Next Topic:No Spark? EMS Computer
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 16:59:54 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0068368911743164 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.