Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Strut tops and RCA'S Raised my ride hieght

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ta2272
Forums Junkie

May 2003
icon2.gif  Strut tops and RCA'S Raised my ride hieght Wed, 09 March 2005 04:40 Go to next message
I installed some kmac adjustable strut tops and some roll center adjusters in my ta22 today and now my ride hieght is 2-3 centermeter higher at the fornt, it has a stance now, what could have caused this???

Thanks guys

Jason
  Send a private message to this user    
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Strut tops and RCA'S Raised my ride hieght Wed, 09 March 2005 04:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Definately not the RCA's.. Would have to be the strut tops.
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Strut tops and RCA'S Raised my ride hieght Wed, 09 March 2005 05:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
solution? longer control arms Twisted Evil
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Strut tops and RCA'S Raised my ride hieght Wed, 09 March 2005 05:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Or lower springs
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Strut tops and RCA'S Raised my ride hieght Wed, 09 March 2005 05:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae86slaver wrote on Wed, 09 March 2005 16:00

solution? longer control arms Twisted Evil

Is that a solution to a higher ride height?

More like a solution to positive camber that may (or may not) have been caused as a result of higher ride height. Twisted Evil (I just wanted to use that smiley as I have never used it before) Twisted Evil
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Strut tops and RCA'S Raised my ride hieght Wed, 09 March 2005 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LOL

well it'd be a two in one hit installing longer control arms, cuz you'd be getting some negative camber, and it would drop the ride height due to the strut angles being pushed outward.

Mine dropped on it's tits, plus i added RCA's, and got negative camber as well, what a package - for the low price of $30 Twisted Evil
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: Strut tops and RCA'S Raised my ride hieght Wed, 09 March 2005 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae86slaver wrote on Wed, 09 March 2005 20:21

LOL

well it'd be a two in one hit installing longer control arms, cuz you'd be getting some negative camber, and it would drop the ride height due to the strut angles being pushed outward.

Mine dropped on it's tits, plus i added RCA's, and got negative camber as well, what a package - for the low price of $30 Twisted Evil

What control arms are you using Des.

Cheers

Steve
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Strut tops and RCA'S Raised my ride hieght Wed, 09 March 2005 22:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mistubishi Sigma GH
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Strut tops and RCA'S Raised my ride hieght Wed, 09 March 2005 22:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RCA's raised my ride height also.

strange phenomenon!
truenosedan
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Strut tops and RCA'S Raised my ride hieght Wed, 09 March 2005 22:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
R aising C ar A e86drift lol
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Strut tops and RCA'S Raised my ride hieght Wed, 09 March 2005 23:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae86drift wrote on Thu, 10 March 2005 09:36

strange phenomenon!

certainly... especially when you consider the RCA is not involved in ride height.

ride height is controlled by the distance between stub axle and contact point of strut top with body.

if the lower arms are angled so much that RCA's affect the ride height... well.... Twisted Evil Very Happy
ta2272
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Strut tops and RCA'S Raised my ride hieght Wed, 09 March 2005 23:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well what do you guys things i shoudl do because my car is looking like a rocket about to take off.

Remove RCA's and see if i get a drop, or get different spring or springs reset.

Jason
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Strut tops and RCA'S Raised my ride hieght Thu, 10 March 2005 02:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ta2272 wrote on Thu, 10 March 2005 10:53

Well what do you guys things i shoudl do because my car is looking like a rocket about to take off.

Remove RCA's and see if i get a drop, or get different spring or springs reset.

Jason

start by measuring the distance from the top of spring to top of surut top plate (where it contacts the body) on both the new and old strut tops.

then get shorter springs.
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Strut tops and RCA'S Raised my ride hieght Thu, 10 March 2005 02:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae86drift wrote on Thu, 10 March 2005 09:06

strange phenomenon!

lay off the happy drugs garth
ta2272
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Strut tops and RCA'S Raised my ride hieght Thu, 10 March 2005 03:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok just got it back from bridgstone they were unable to adjust the camber at all. i have neutral camber 0 and the car is handling like a piece of shit.

The car has ra40 struts. chopped i guess, what shoudl i consider doing.

Anyone had any experience with ta22 and strut tops, is there no space in the tower for the struts to move.?
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Strut tops and RCA'S Raised my ride hieght Thu, 10 March 2005 03:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats correct.. I had the same problem with mine.

Do you have coilovers? As coilover springs give you a lot more room for bringing the strut top in for neg camber.

Also im not sure about kmac tops but noltec, the plate is HUGE that moves around for adjusting the top of the strut. I shaved heaps of metal off mine so I could dial in more negative camber.

But all in all with 35mm rca's, noltec strut tops, coilovers, i could only get around .5 degree negative camber.

I increased the track (not recommending this just saying what I did) 20mm and that gave around 2 degrees negative camber.

Now I just use the strut tops for fine tuning.
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Strut tops and RCA'S Raised my ride hieght Thu, 10 March 2005 04:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
better yet, ditch the RA40/60 struts they are peices of junk!
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Strut tops and RCA'S Raised my ride hieght Thu, 10 March 2005 04:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RA40 stub axle angle is different is it simon? (i wouldn't know as not using ra40 struts)
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Strut tops and RCA'S Raised my ride hieght Fri, 11 March 2005 02:02 Go to previous message
RCA's will change the camber and ride height slightly as it increases the control arm angle and pulls the strut in closer to the centreline of the car. Having said that the change in height would be very small.

Adding strut tops changes the top mount of the strut and depending on the configuration could potentially change the height significantly. I would look there before accusing the RCA's of causing your problem.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:removing locknuts without a key
Next Topic:replace rear axle bush
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 17:13:11 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.011693000793457 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.