Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
constantly wearing speedo gear Wed, 09 March 2005 11:35 Go to next message
i think i know the cause, but wanna get peoples opinions.

the gf's jap spec T50 keeps wearing the nylon speedo gear. theyre a pain to get second hand, and the last two cost $50 from toyota. they last about 8 months or so.
so can anyone giveme a possible cause? i fear its the bearings on the output shaft causing the output shaft to move and wear the gear. but im hoping someone has had experience with this and had a simple fix, cause the missus is cracking the shits about no speedo and i dont feel like stripping down the box.
  Send a private message to this user    
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: constantly wearing speedo gear Wed, 09 March 2005 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
doess the metal drive gear have the right number of teeth? K series have two different drive gears and three different driven gears..

for the output shaft to move enough to make the speedo gear wear badly is unlikely...

maybe the drive gear is badly scored or marked?

Cya, Stewart
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: constantly wearing speedo gear Wed, 09 March 2005 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for the reply mate.

you might be onto something, i have noticed that when we drive together, her car goes faster when we both try to do the limit, i thought it might be cause i got a different g/box to standard, and shes got a diff gearbox to standard also, so the ratios were wrong for the diff or whatever. but i spose it could be incorrect gear matching.

the way it wears is, on one side more than the rest there is a sort of U shapped cuttout if you look at it from side on if you can get what im saying, which seems a strange way to wear.

does anyone know what the correct number of teeth is needed on a jap spec T50? cause when ive replaced it i naturally thought to use the same gear.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: constantly wearing speedo gear Wed, 09 March 2005 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the K ones also have the ratio printed on them, either ont he plastic gear, or on the metal shaft to which it attached..

ie

5-19
6-20
6-21

have a look on the driven gear, and then maybe you can seein the hole to check the number of teeth "starting points" on the drive gear.. by jacking up a rear wheel and turning the driveshaft.

of you could pull the extension housing Wink
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: constantly wearing speedo gear Wed, 09 March 2005 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EVOSTi wrote on Wed, 09 March 2005 22:52

the way it wears is, on one side more than the rest there is a sort of U shapped cuttout if you look at it from side on if you can get what im saying, which seems a strange way to wear.

by their nature, the drive gear will only press on one side the the driven teeth, leading to wear on one side..
what could also be happning is that there is excessive friction in the speedo cable, or in the speedo itself...

what if you manually turn it from the gearbox end? does it feel hard to turn?

got a spare speedo cable to try?
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: constantly wearing speedo gear Wed, 09 March 2005 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im lazy so id rather just try and count the teeth through the hole Laughing
so if i find the number of teeth on the drive gear on the output shaft, how do i know the number of teeth required on the nylon driven gear?
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: constantly wearing speedo gear Wed, 09 March 2005 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm i usually give a quick check to things like the cable being sticky when i have it off, and i dont remember it being too bad but ofcourse ill double ceck next time.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: constantly wearing speedo gear Wed, 09 March 2005 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EVOSTi wrote on Wed, 09 March 2005 23:00

how do i know the number of teeth required on the nylon driven gear?

hopefully it is printed on either the gear itself (the nylon one) or ont he shaft to which it is attached....
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: constantly wearing speedo gear Wed, 09 March 2005 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes, the number is printed on the nylon gear. but what im saying is, how do i determine if this is the correct number in relation to the number of teeth on the output shaft's gear?
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: constantly wearing speedo gear Wed, 09 March 2005 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh right...
what is printed on the gear?
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: constantly wearing speedo gear Wed, 09 March 2005 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry i cant remember off my head, but i have one of the old ones sitting on the bench at work and will find out tomorrow. ill even take a dodgy phone pic of the worn gear. Smile
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: constantly wearing speedo gear Thu, 10 March 2005 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had a similar problem while running 50:50 auto trans fluid - I blamed the wearing on the lubrication (oils aint oils!).

I think that it is quite feasible to have the speedo gear wear if you have any excessive vibration in the output shaft (either by shot bearings or fcuked uni joint).

EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: constantly wearing speedo gear Thu, 10 March 2005 10:14 Go to previous message
yeah i thought so, but it would have to be a far amount of movement in the bearing.
i didnt work today so ill get the gear number tomorrow, still hoping someone knows the correct gear number required for a jap spec T50?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4AGZE Conversion Help
Next Topic:AW11 4AGE MR2 underheating
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 10 15:03:15 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0049300193786621 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.