Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » any info 184/185 celica's please.

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
esk34
Regular

February 2005
any info 184/185 celica's please. Tue, 01 March 2005 01:34 Go to next message
Hi all,
I have been thinking of replacing my old 88 fairlane, and the 1990 model celica's are the car that has taken my fancy.
I would just like to get some info as to what I should look for when I go shoping for one and what type of price I should expect to pay for a "good" one.
What type's of things go wrong with them, how many Km's will I get out of an engine.
Also been seeing some sub 1990 $10000 GT4's in trading post etc. And was wondering when they needed major overhauls (rebuild of turbo, engine etc.)
Also one last thing, how much are parts servicing, are they good value for money, or are they likley to send me broke.
thanks.
Sam.
  Send a private message to this user    
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: any info 184/185 celica's please. Tue, 01 March 2005 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know this isn't the buy/sell forum, but I'm selling my st184 coupe (manual, 2.2L 5sFe, silver) for $6900 with RWC.

I don't really know of any major, recurring faults with the FWD's, apart from the high-pressure hose off the power stering pump, which eventually leaks and wants replacing. Mine's been ace - just did a couple of bushes in the front suspension, steering rack boots, rear wheel bearings, engine mount- and it drives REALLY well again. Not bad for 260,000km on the dial.

I'm selling my baby widt teh massif, devaschtating 12" sub in a custom, ported box & CD-Player, cruise control, pod filter etc.

[Edit]
Engine still goes stong, gearbox & clutch are fine, chassis still tight, interior very good (not quite perfect mind you), All very good - especially considering it's age and km's. Not sure if this is representative of all ST184s tho. I know a guy who decided to rebuild his motor at 235,000km as well as doing new alternator and A/C compressor - He's asking $10k for a series 2 hatch.

My engine feels good for at least 150,000km more. I'd do rings and valve guides + seats somewhere around there.

[Updated on: Tue, 01 March 2005 01:49]

Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: any info 184/185 celica's please. Tue, 01 March 2005 01:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
st185's are a fair bit more costly to service - and tend to let HG's go around the 200 thousand mark , but if regularly maintained and cared for the only flaws seem to be the diff mounts , the HG , and 2nd and 3rd syncro's ..

I bought mine for 11K - but have had some issues with it - but overall for bang for bucks - there hardly is a car on the market - outside maybe a ma70 that can match it for strength and performance .

for the extra few K id definantly get a Gt4 over an SX ..
esk34
Regular

February 2005
Re: any info 184/185 celica's please. Tue, 01 March 2005 02:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks heaps guy's.
Classiqe how long ago did you buy your GT4, and how much do the HG cost to get done? What whould be a good price for a 185? What does a regular service cost? (with nothing needing fixing) how many kms do you have on yours. What type of problems have you had with yours, and how much did they cost to rectify? Do you service it yourself, or take it to a mechanic? Sorry for all the questions but I have to make a couple of important finace decisions to be able to afford this car, although I have wanted one for about 10 years now.

sorry st184 sillycar, but I don't rellay like the coupe that much, prefer to get the lift back, (looks better IMO) but thanks very much for the info.

I test drove a stock 184 with 255 000 kms on it and it drove pretty good, but whenever I hit 3000 rpm it started to shake really bad. Could just be this car though, just wondering if it was common. It did it in both 1st and 2nd gears, so I think it has something to do with the engine. (i'm not exactly the best mechanic type... yet)
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: any info 184/185 celica's please. Tue, 01 March 2005 06:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
probably best not to ask whats mine had done , or how much its cost me - as mines far far far from standard now and its more of an example of a highly modified Gt4

with a HG repair its usually a job of droppingout the whole motor + gearbox assembly so its a major bill - over a grand id guess if you got a mechanic to do it - the gasket itself ranges between 90 - 200 depending on which brand you go for.

minor servicing like oil/coolant/filter changes i do myself - as with alot of the smaller mechanical work . major stuff it goes to a race engineer i know of who did my gearbox swap , engine rebuilt + other major work

mines now got 220 thousand on it
esk34
Regular

February 2005
Re: any info 184/185 celica's please. Thu, 03 March 2005 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
droping the entire motor to replace the HG. Ouch.
I found a GT4 for sale for $8500 with 212000kms on it. Don't know if I should buy it though, as I dont know what to look for.
It is registered but doesn't come with a RWC, so I thinkingof holding on, or just buying an 184 for about $6000 - $7000.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: any info 184/185 celica's please. Thu, 03 March 2005 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
advice to you mate - save your dollars - and find yourself a group a st185 ..

or a really nice example of a standard gt4 ..

its worth waiting on over an SX - even if it does have hassles

most fwd cars its easier to drop the front out to do woerk like thnat anyway + its a good chance to check ono clutches cv's etc etc .. Sounds harsh but at least you can get a real good look over all the major compnentry at the one time
esk34
Regular

February 2005
Re: any info 184/185 celica's please. Thu, 03 March 2005 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
should I at least take a look at this one, or will it be trashed. What is the price of a good gt4?
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: any info 184/185 celica's please. Thu, 03 March 2005 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
have a look Smile

and a drive if possible - just be aware it may be a bit tired at that price - dont let first impressions cloud judgement overall

ive seen extremely neat examples go for 13 - 16 K - theres a stunning st165 ( first gen gt4 ) for sale on here atm - for 15 thousand - and its worth every cent
esk34
Regular

February 2005
Re: any info 184/185 celica's please. Thu, 03 March 2005 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah I saw that, looks nice, but I really have my heart set on a 1990-93 model. Oh and I don't have 15g to save myself.
10g is my absolute limit unless I can sell my fairlane for 4g. Ha ha.
Blah_00
Regular

December 2004
Re: any info 184/185 celica's please. Thu, 03 March 2005 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you're really interested in actually getting an ST184 Let me know...I've PM'd you about it...and if you want to try it out or whatever, I'm in Melbourne too...Are you looking more for performance though...? Or more for just comfort and reliability...?
Rainey
Regular

January 2005
Re: any info 184/185 celica's please. Thu, 03 March 2005 23:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I looked for over a year and a half for a fully stock ST184R '92 or '93 in good condition. It paid off in the end, I've had to replace the front tires $430 or so and replace the o-ring in the distributer and RW cert at the same time $100 or so... She is a great example and very very close to AS NEW. Very Happy

I paid $10,300 for her and drove it back to Tassie from Adelaide (the cost of this is irrelevant because I had a holiday from it too!). Keep looking, and YES, stay away from the coupe's, they are UGLY!!!

Good luck!
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: any info 184/185 celica's please. Thu, 03 March 2005 23:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rainey wrote on Fri, 04 March 2005 10:19

I paid $10,300 for her and drove it back to Tassie from Adelaide (the cost of this is irrelevant because I had a holiday from it too!). Keep looking, and YES, stay away from the coupe's, they are UGLY!!!

Good luck!

HEY! Surprised

That hurts! Sad

They're only ugly when some tool-head removes the bootlid spoiler. Then yeah - pig-ugly mofo's of cars. Confused
Rainey
Regular

January 2005
Re: any info 184/185 celica's please. Thu, 03 March 2005 23:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good point, but you could still make use of a big circular-saw. Very Happy

Only joking! I prefer the lifters because they are the same dimensions as the GT-Fours thats all!
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: any info 184/185 celica's please. Fri, 04 March 2005 05:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My GrpA hasn't had to have much work done to it.
CV boots inner and outer and the steering rack boots were all the "out of the ordinary" things that have had to be done to it so far.
My PCV hose is cactus but thats only about $5 worth of parts to fix.
I haven't fixed it yet as Toyota "discontinued" that part so I have to remove the hose and then drive some other car down to repco, pirtek or whereever and try to get something that'll do the job.

Thats my biggest beef with the car... damn Toyota have discontinued half the stuff.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: any info 184/185 celica's please. Fri, 04 March 2005 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toobs - pcv hose - ie the one off the back of the head to intake ? or off the top ( having a super vague moment tnight )

They can still get it - had to get it for mine - when i did the group A motor swap ..

ill be using a catch can soon if funds allow it - so if needs be i might have it spare

BTW repco can go piss in their own pockets - they dont have ANY hses available for our cars - you have to chop and change others

[Updated on: Fri, 04 March 2005 08:47]

Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: any info 184/185 celica's please. Fri, 04 March 2005 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Classique71 wrote on Fri, 04 March 2005 19:45

toobs - pcv hose - ie the one off the back of the head to intake ? or off the top ( having a super vague moment tnight )

They can still get it - had to get it for mine - when i did the group A motor swap ..

ill be using a catch can soon if funds allow it - so if needs be i might have it spare

BTW repco can go piss in their own pockets - they dont have ANY hses available for our cars - you have to chop and change others

The PCV hose is the one that goes from the passenger side of the cam cover to the rubber elbow in the intake pipework.
There is actually two different hoses listed for the Group A and guess what... mines the one that is discontinued.
I would happily put in a catch can but there is no where to put one neatly. (damned GT4 and its lack of under bonnet space!)
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: any info 184/185 celica's please. Sat, 05 March 2005 03:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well if mines still free after bits come off you can have mine - mines the group A version ( obviously )

And people ask me why i got rid mof my battery from the bonnet ( see how to thread in tech section ) and why i also swapped out the ecu to map to get rid of the AFM as well!

without the stock battery - and stock air intake piping AFM and airbox - a tonne of room becomes available!

pics available soon - as ive found what wire i need to use for the relocated air temp sensor !
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: any info 184/185 celica's please. Sat, 05 March 2005 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the offer Classique but its not a major problem... I've just been too lazy to take it off and drive something else to Pirtek or where ever to get a replacement hose.

Also my aircon pressure switch died in the arse... guess how much Toyota the ba$74rd$ want for one... $168!!!
And the pressures are for R12 not R134a!
Replacement valve for a ford / holden system is about $12!

PS ST205 valves don't fit as they have a different thread... everything else is the same just the thread on the ST205 one is about 10x1.25 and ST185 is 8x1.25 ish... the ST205 ones are made for R134a which seems to run at a slightly higher pressure.
I'm so ticked off with Toyota that I'm making an adaptor so I can put the R134a pressure switch on the R12 line... anyone else want one?
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: any info 184/185 celica's please. Sat, 05 March 2005 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i might - my aircons sealed - but still wont switch on when you push the button/fan ..

it clicks but no coldddd!!

Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: any info 184/185 celica's please. Sat, 05 March 2005 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Probably seized compressor.
If you can get your hand down there give the inner part of the compressor pulley a turn and see if it moves at all.
If it doesn't then the compressors seized.
If it does then you've got an electrical (or electric clutch) problem.

I can only get the tips of my fingers down to mine and I can still move it about 1cm at a time.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: any info 184/185 celica's please. Sat, 05 March 2005 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if the compressor was seized, you'd certainly know about it when the clutch engaged!!

My thoughts classique:
# dud clutch: turn on aircon and see if you can see the centre piece of the pulley spinning whilst engine running
# Dud wiring: would see above inspection having no spinning centre. Check that power is going to the clutch and go back from there if its not.
# dud hairdressers car: get a real car Razz
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: any info 184/185 celica's please. Sat, 05 March 2005 14:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Considering the A/C controller senses revolution I would assume it would disengage the clutch if the controller detected that the compressor spindle wasn't spinning after a revolution or so.
I would assume that all you would notice is a slight dip in RPM for half a second and probably your AC light would be flashing.

Classique:
I have a spare compressor from the 3S I got off Justen... its condition is pretty much unknown although the spindle moves as it should and you can hear the unit pumping when you do turn it by hand.
You can have it for the cost of postage if you want.

Witzl:
I wouldn't comment on "dud hairdressers car's" when your barge is sinking on the rear port side and your RA-28% iron oxide is slowly becoming one with the earth.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: any info 184/185 celica's please. Sat, 05 March 2005 22:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah its a elec clutch problem ..

compressor can be bypassed to run - via straight power - but wont activate via the cabin switch so somethings amiss between the dash and the clutch

and hang onto that compressor - i might need it yet as a spare anyhew ..

and as for witzl - i think toobs summed that up pretty well Wink
esk34
Regular

February 2005
Re: any info 184/185 celica's please. Tue, 08 March 2005 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is it really that hard to get some parts?

I took a look at a gt4 today at a dealer. Didn't get to test drive though as, there was not much fuel left in it, and I didn't want to have to push it back to the dealer. I don't think it was the best example.

Can anybody tell me, if the gauge on the intrument cluster toward the top right hand side is for boost level, or am I reading it wrong, looks like it is though. It will normally move as you build up revs right. Sorry to ask stopid questions but I have bugger all experince with turbos.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: any info 184/185 celica's please. Tue, 08 March 2005 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yup its a boost guage but its useless - just tells you when the car is in positive or negative pressure

if you get a GT4 - an aftermarket boost guage is a MUST

As for parts - most are available but youll find most major stuff still will have to be genuine - as there isnt many Gt4's in wrecking yards !
esk34
Regular

February 2005
Re: any info 184/185 celica's please. Wed, 09 March 2005 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks again.
How about celica st 184 parts. Are many interchangable. obviosly not engine or turbo gear, but the little/big things, like power steering units, air con compressors, some hoses, steering wheel, gear box, panel's. (Is the GT4 a different shape, cause it kind of looks a bit wider at the rear.)
Is the front grill/fender the same?
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: any info 184/185 celica's please. Thu, 10 March 2005 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
panel wise for austalian Gt4's to australian SX's - only the doors , the bonnet , front bumper , and harch are interchangable

Gt4's have wider front and rear quarter panels - or " widebody " panels

the bumper in particular is different between gt4 and SX in shape - but are both interchangable - the group a front bar is a VERY rare commodity and demands a hefty price if you can find ne

all lights are interchangable - as are interior panels i believe

I believe only the SX WRC model came in widebody FWD only form

GT4 and SX gearboxes are not interchangable - though it can be adaped but its a pain in the arse - hence why anyone who does a 3sgte coversion will usually retain their existing box and hope for the best - or use an adapred Mr2 turbo box , or V6 camry box ..

as for the smaller items - im not sure on those
esk34
Regular

February 2005
Re: any info 184/185 celica's please. Fri, 11 March 2005 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm going to look at a couple next week, they sound pretty beat up, but they may be a good buy. Have to wait and see. There is also a "group a" in footscray for sale, that I am going to see. Number 48 was what they told me. only $13000 so it might be near dead.
bajabus
Regular

March 2005
Re: any info 184/185 celica's please. Thu, 07 April 2005 03:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Mate, are you still looking for a 185? I'm selling my Group A. Its unmodified and has low ks. Its always been serviced and is in great condition. Let me know if you are interested and I can send you some pics.

Regards
B
Hawk
Regular

August 2003
Re: any info 184/185 celica's please. Thu, 07 April 2005 22:35 Go to previous message
Hi esk34, I've owned both a ST184 and ST185 Group A (currently). Both are very reliable and good to drive. I was really happy with my 184 and didn't have too much trouble with it. Clutch plate, CV joints, steering rack boots, indicator stalk switch, power window master switch on door, leaky spark plug tubes, engine mounts and the usual brake pads and tyres etc. I think that was all, I had most done under warranty so it didn't cost me much - they are a fairly common car and parts should be easy to get from a wreckers and not too expensive. The GT4 is better performing and more expensive to keep. Depends on your finances, go the GT4 if you can afford it (you'll love it) but servicing, parts and insurance will cost you more. A good GT4 will cost a lot less then a lemon SX so depends what you can find and how well you get it looked over. When I bought my Grp A it had an oil leak which required a lot of dismantling but while they were in there I got them to do the 100k service and anything else that might need doing... $1400.
Good luck in your search!!

Oh and where did you see No.48 and what other details can you tell me? Km $ condition, colour. I'm trying to track them all down...
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:F1: Go Toyota!!
Next Topic:How early did you start your interest in cars?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 09:51:22 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0069711208343506 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.