Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Toyo Truck
Regular

August 2004
    I ain't no JABBER!
5M-GE Flywheel, Clutch and Spigot ANY CONDITION Mon, 07 March 2005 04:21 Go to next message
Hi Guys,

Moving along nicely with the conversion for the hilux,
now its time to get the clutch and flywheel bits I need to fit the lux-box.

Now I am told I will need a flywheel, clutch and spigot bearing out of a 5M-GE manual car (MA60 Supras, any others???). Can anyone help me out here with either the parts themselves,
or part numbers from parts you have at home so I can buy new ones? any help here would be sweet as this is like the last thing I need to get before I can start tinkering on my conversion

Thanks heaps guys,
Bart
0403 043 244
  Send a private message to this user    
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 5M-GE Flywheel, Clutch and Spigot ANY CONDITION Mon, 07 March 2005 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Be informed that there are two different flywheels that came out behind M series engines. One has a friction surface of 225mm and one 240mm (from memory?). If your going for big power it might be better to spend a little longer and serch for a 240mm version.

MA61's had 5M-E's with the 225mm flywheel.
I have no idea what flywheel size USA/JDM MA61's with 5M-GE's had (although I suspect 225mm?)
MA70's with 7M-GE's have the 240mm flywheel.

You can get a new clutch to suit which ever flywheel both off the shelf or custom made (goto a clutch shop!).

The spigot is easily available new.

to quote GiantTomato
Quote:

All M (and JZ for that matter) series spigot bearings are 32mm OD and 12mm ID.

and to quote him again Smile

Quote:

I have a Koyo bearing (non genuine).
Part No: 62012RSC3 - FG GSR 00012
The numbers in red appear to be the important ones. Basically they designate the bearing type: deep groove ball bearing with 12 mm inner diam and a 32 mm outer diam.

It looks identical to an M series one.

Oh and the toyota part number as well!

to quote Manny
Quote:

Try the Toyota part number 90363-12002

hope that helps a bit.

Cheers
Wilbo
Toyo Truck
Regular

August 2004
    I ain't no JABBER!
Re: 5M-GE Flywheel, Clutch and Spigot ANY CONDITION Mon, 07 March 2005 23:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cheers for that info mate.
So these 240mm flywheels, do they have the same OD as the 225mm ones? ie can I use the standard 7M-GE starter motor that I have on the engine??

Can you get the flywheels new from clutch places?
or only the clutch and spigot bearing.
Is it better to get original Toyota bits or just go aftermarket?

Keeping in mind this is for a 4WD, under ALOT of torque with
twin diff locks and soon 35"x12.5" tyres, should I get the turbo
pressure plate, or just get the standard 7M-GE type?

Cheers,
Bart

[Updated on: Mon, 07 March 2005 23:15]

wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 5M-GE Flywheel, Clutch and Spigot ANY CONDITION Tue, 08 March 2005 00:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep the 240mm flywheels have the same OD and use the same bellhousing, starter motor etc.

I imagine you could get a new lightened flywheel if you searched (would prbly cost you a LOT tho!, guessing around the $500 ball park). Might even be worth ringing toyota and asking them what they want for a new 7mge flywheel?

I wouldn't bother with genuine toyota parts, the clutch and pressure plate will prbly not have enough clamp for your application, and the spigot is just a bearing (toyota don't even make their own bearings).

You will find that a 'turbo' pressure plate will not work with a 7mge (non turbo) flywheel. 7mgte's have a different flywheel and diffent clutch/pressure plate arrangement. 7mgte's have a pull type clutch, where as 7mge's have a push type arrangement. They aren't interchangeable as far as I'm aware Smile

Cheers
Wilbo
boxh34d
Regular

May 2004
Re: 5M-GE Flywheel, Clutch and Spigot ANY CONDITION Tue, 08 March 2005 01:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the US 5MGE flywheels are 235mm from memory.
if you go to the local parts shop that has clutches, they should have both 225mm and 235mm listed for the MA61.
damz
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Re: 5M-GE Flywheel, Clutch and Spigot ANY CONDITION Tue, 08 March 2005 01:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Im also looking for these bits, couple of questions:

Does a pressure plate come with a clutch disc? (ie, does a clutch shop supply a new off the shelf p.plate to go with their clutch? Or do they have to re-use the original toyota pressure plate?)

Where would one go for non-toyota bearings?
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 5M-GE Flywheel, Clutch and Spigot ANY CONDITION Tue, 08 March 2005 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
boxh34d wrote on Tue, 08 March 2005 12:22

the US 5MGE flywheels are 235mm from memory.
if you go to the local parts shop that has clutches, they should have both 225mm and 235mm listed for the MA61.

Pretty sure there are only two flywheels, 225mm and 240mm friction faces. There are 3 differnt clutch plate sizes that I know of 225mm, 236mm and 240mm (the later being used on the 240mm flywheel). 1mm off from memory is pretty decent tho!

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=13472&rid=36&S=c51ab0e09c7e18d58c49b01ae ff8b9c2&pl_view=&start=0#msg_109322

great stuff in that thread.

damz

Does a pressure plate come with a clutch disc? (ie, does a clutch shop supply a new off the shelf p.plate to go with their clutch? Or do they have to re-use the original toyota pressure plate?)

Where would one go for non-toyota bearings?

Ask a clutch shop. They can manufacture a new pressure plate, or refit an existing one...etc

One could think about trying a bearing shop for bearings Rolling Eyes
*cough* yellow pages? Smile

Cheers
Wilbo

boxh34d
Regular

May 2004
Re: 5M-GE Flywheel, Clutch and Spigot ANY CONDITION Tue, 08 March 2005 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for clearing that up wilbo, much appreciated.
celica28
Regular

May 2002
Re: 5M-GE Flywheel, Clutch and Spigot ANY CONDITION Wed, 09 March 2005 21:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a flywheel. I will measure it up and get back to you on clutch size.

Toyo Truck
Regular

August 2004
    I ain't no JABBER!
Re: 5M-GE Flywheel, Clutch and Spigot ANY CONDITION Wed, 09 March 2005 22:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks mate,
Hopefully its the 240mm flywheel.
If you wanna call my mobile when you find out
its 0403 043 244.

Cheers,
Bart
celica28
Regular

May 2002
Re: 5M-GE Flywheel, Clutch and Spigot ANY CONDITION Thu, 10 March 2005 21:13 Go to previous message
Will do.

As for the spigot bearing, if you can get your hands on a set of verniers, you can measure the outside diameter of the crank where the spigot bearing fits and then measure the outside diameter of the input shaft of the gearbox. Take bothe these measurements to any CBC store and they will be able to provide you with the correct bearing. Shouldn't cost you any more than $15.

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:WTB: RA65/SA63/RA60 hatch - no rust
Next Topic:3SG gen 2 ECU/computer
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 15:47:19 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0047569274902344 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.