Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
scareylint
Occasional Poster

March 2005
4AGZE into KE55 Tue, 08 March 2005 11:53 Go to next message
I have a 4agze and a ke55 2door and i was wondering if anyone has done this conversion before? I have only got the motor(complete piping and loom + ecu)and the car. Before i start does anyone have any tips i could use? any advice on making it leagal for a mod plate? i was thinking of putting an auto on(for the drags) did the levin's come in auto and can i get it to fit a 4agze? will it even fit in the tunnel? Any advice will be appreciated.
  Send a private message to this user    
BradW
Regular

April 2004
Re: 4AGZE into KE55 Wed, 09 March 2005 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Welcome to the Forum.

First up I'll say spend some time searching the Tech Docs and past posts. There is a lot of info out there on 4AG motors and whilst there may not be a great deal on "4AGZE into KE55" most of the info is relevant.
A google search for "4AGE" will find you lots of interesting reading material too.

You will need a rwd gearbox from an AE86 or AE71 corolla. You will also need to get engine mounts made to fit the engine and water outlets from the motor will need to be modified. A stronger diff will also be required unless you plan on treating it very gently. The fuel system will need to be upgraded with an EFI fuel pump and EFI fuel hose. Then there's the wiring.

Finally before you even start doing the conversion speak to an engineer. They will tell you everything you need to make it legal.

Good luck and keep us posted on how you go.

Brad

scareylint
Occasional Poster

March 2005
Re: 4AGZE into KE55 Thu, 10 March 2005 06:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks,
I spoke to an engineer... I can leagally put anything in it up to a 2.3litre turbo or supercharged as long as i have disc brake front and rear. (vented front) wen i change the box thats a plate as well and so is the diff. (even tho the box is staying auto) I was suprised to find out u cant leagaly change the stud pattern. so there goes any idea's of switching to 5 stud. I'm just gonna have to go on a brake hunt soon. the only thing i'm worried about now is will an auto rwd 4age box (if there is such a thing) go on a mr2 motor?... I can't seem to find that info any where. As far as i can see the only prob would be if the flywheel bolts are different patterns for the mr2 to the levin/sprinter/corolla.
dousty
Newcomer

March 2005
Re: 4AGZE into KE55 Thu, 10 March 2005 23:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have put a gze in a ke30 2 door. It wasn't fun.

had heaps of trouble with engine mounts (custom), radiator plumbing (custom), heater plumbing (custom), g/box cross member (custom), clutch actuation (custom).

I used an rx3 diff, nearly a straight fit, but will need modified drive shaft, hand brake cables (custom)etc.

Used a surge tank with two pumps etc nothing special.

Used a g/box from a ae86 twincam same for the clutch master cylinder.

Used extractors from a ae86 twincam though they had to be heated and bent to suit the ke's engine bay/fire wall.

Use a AE86 or AE82 and save the hassle.

[Updated on: Fri, 11 March 2005 00:00]

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 4AGZE into KE55 Fri, 11 March 2005 00:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
see, nothing to it Wink
it will be the same to fit nearly any motor (except K series) into your car.
or into any other car that was not released with the engine Razz
scareylint
Occasional Poster

March 2005
Re: 4AGZE into KE55 Fri, 11 March 2005 23:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
when i got the car the motor was mounted in an ae82 but i pulled it out and swapped the body for the ke55 i have been driving an exa around and i have had enough of fwd's the sub frame and engine mounts i'm told are similar or same as a ke70 wich came out with a 4ag so i'm hoping mount's etc won't be such an issue... if they are i have all the gear i need to make mounts cross members etc. i still can't find out how to get an auto for my 4agze... can i use an old soarer box? i am concerned about the flywheel stud patern.. or does the torque converter bolt to the fly wheel?
BradW
Regular

April 2004
Re: 4AGZE into KE55 Fri, 11 March 2005 23:55 Go to previous message
scareylint wrote on Sat, 12 March 2005 10:04

the sub frame and engine mounts i'm told are similar or same as a ke70 wich came out with a 4ag so i'm hoping mount's etc won't be such an issue... if they are i have all the gear i need to make mounts cross members etc.

The front ends on the KE70 are different to the KE55. If you take your tape measure to your local self serve wrecker you can find out for yourself. New mounts will have to be made for the engine. Also the KE70 only came with a K series engine whereas the AE71 came with the A series engine although they were 4AC not 4AG.

Quote:

i still can't find out how to get an auto for my 4agze... can i use an old soarer box? i am concerned about the flywheel stud patern.. or does the torque converter bolt to the fly wheel?

The only thing I can think of would be to use an auto from a AE86 or AE71 as these both came with 4A motors in rwd. I don't know how strong these autos are or how long they will last. You will also need the flywheel of an auto 4A motor to bolt the torque converter to. I'm not sure if you would use one from a auto 4AC or if you would need one from an auto 4AG. Again an afternoon at the wreckers with your tape measure will answer this.

Brad

[Updated on: Fri, 11 March 2005 23:59]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Idling too fast
Next Topic:1986 AE82 twin cam diagnostics plug???
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 19:05:15 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0059828758239746 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.