Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
MA61 5M-E Overheating *NOW Thermos 56K Killer* Thu, 10 March 2005 11:02 Go to next message
Hey All,

I think that the car is overheating, when I drive normally the temprature bar on the digital dash sits about half way... Is this normal? Or should it sit a bar below half.

Cheers.

[Updated on: Sun, 13 March 2005 06:50]

Send a private message to this user    
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 5M-E Overheating *I think* Thu, 10 March 2005 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mine sits half way all the time when its commuting ..

yet to overheat with the new motor - and at this stage running well
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: MA61 5M-E Overheating *I think* Thu, 10 March 2005 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mine always sat a bar below. only after a hard thrashing would it sit on the line. it never went above.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 5M-E Overheating *I think* Thu, 10 March 2005 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It should sit on the bar with the arrow next to it, in the halfway position. Mine never deviates from that unless I'm giving it a thrashing.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: MA61 5M-E Overheating *I think* Thu, 10 March 2005 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my 5me used to sit one below the bar, unti i was either:

Stuck in traffic
Cruising 110 on highway

then it would go up to the bar, but never over.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: MA61 5M-E Overheating *I think* Thu, 10 March 2005 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Thu, 10 March 2005 20:48

It should sit on the bar with the arrow next to it, in the halfway position. Mine never deviates from that unless I'm giving it a thrashing.

Ditto.
Kr0n1k
Occasional Poster

February 2005
Re: MA61 5M-E Overheating *I think* Thu, 10 March 2005 19:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Same (5mGE)
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: MA61 5M-E Overheating *I think* Thu, 10 March 2005 22:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've given up on the clutch fan and today I am going around the auto shops for an AU Falcon Thermo fan and the fugly box which sits on the side of the radiator as I got nowhere to tap a sensor nor want to put holes in the radiator tanks.

I'll get photos of it when I do it tomorrow, if I can source cheap Thermo Fans. The Ford dealer wants $340 Shocked for them Confused

Cheers.
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: MA61 5M-E Overheating *I think* Thu, 10 March 2005 22:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ZZT231 wrote on Fri, 11 March 2005 08:52

I've given up on the clutch fan and today I am going around the auto shops for an AU Falcon Thermo fan and the fugly box which sits on the side of the radiator as I got nowhere to tap a sensor nor want to put holes in the radiator tanks.

I'll get photos of it when I do it tomorrow, if I can source cheap Thermo Fans. The Ford dealer wants $340 Shocked for them Confused

Cheers.

I bought mine of Ebay. They were Brand New EL Ford Thermo's and cost $230 delivered.

I think they are slightly different than AU, but not sure. Anyway, they'll fit fine with mine.

I'd get the rest of the system checked properly before lashing out on such a purchase though..
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: MA61 5M-E Overheating *I think* Thu, 10 March 2005 22:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ZZT231 wrote on Fri, 11 March 2005 09:22

The Ford dealer wants $340 Shocked for them Confused

damn! your geting boned full retail!

try ringing another dealership and say "hi im tim from hoppers automotive i need a set of au thermo fans whats the retail and trade on those?" let them respond then say "ok ill send someone down with the cash for those"

volia! trade price Smile
Hirogen
Forums Junkie

July 2002
      WTF is a jabber?
Re: MA61 5M-E Overheating *I think* Thu, 10 March 2005 23:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Allan wrote on Fri, 11 March 2005 09:58

try ringing another dealership and say "hi im tim from hoppers automotive i need a set of au thermo fans whats the retail and trade on those?" let them respond then say "ok ill send someone down with the cash for those"

volia! trade price Smile

Haha, nicely done Allan.
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: MA61 5M-E Overheating *I think* Thu, 10 March 2005 23:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Haha doooddgeeyyyyy. But works a treat Very Happy
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: MA61 5M-E Overheating *I think* Thu, 10 March 2005 23:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Allan wrote on Fri, 11 March 2005 09:58

volia! trade price Smile

It's too late, I went the local dealer... Oh well... I'll head up your way Allan this arvo and we can do a "Sting Operation" on your closest dealership on a mission - "Sting Op Cheap AU Fans" Laughing

Cheers.
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: MA61 5M-E Overheating *I think* Thu, 10 March 2005 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
teh 5me supra sits on half, sometimes one bar below. thats a reconditioned radiator too.

teh 7mgte supra is the same, with a recond. radiator. it overheated on the way home which was pretty funny- but i think it was due to no coolant in the top tank Confused

just out of curiosity, what does it mean if the radiator is blowing bubbles into the overflow tank after driving?

Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: MA61 5M-E Overheating *I think* Fri, 11 March 2005 00:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Evil_Foetus wrote on Fri, 11 March 2005 10:50

just out of curiosity, what does it mean if the radiator is blowing bubbles into the overflow tank after driving?

You mean after you switch off the car...? Or when the car is just idling...?

Either way I think it means its running hot and coolant is boiling off. I hope I'm wrong.
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: MA61 5M-E Overheating *I think* Fri, 11 March 2005 00:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Evil_Foetus wrote on Fri, 11 March 2005 10:20

teh 5me supra sits on half, sometimes one bar below. thats a reconditioned radiator too.

teh 7mgte supra is the same, with a recond. radiator. it overheated on the way home which was pretty funny- but i think it was due to no coolant in the top tank Confused

You mean you didn't check it before you left !!!!!!
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: MA61 5M-E Overheating *I think* Fri, 11 March 2005 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yian wrote on Fri, 11 March 2005 11:25

Evil_Foetus wrote on Fri, 11 March 2005 10:50

You mean after you switch off the car...? Or when the car is just idling...?

Either way I think it means its running hot and coolant is boiling off. I hope I'm wrong.

its when i switch the car off. the radiator and associated accessories aren't overly hot, and the temperature gauge suggests its running fine. theres no coolant in the oil and the coolant is a healthy colour. exhaust blows no smoke...

im thinking theres a coolant leak from a hose somewhere. if its a headgasket ill go spastic, it's already done 2 and now has a HKS metal one. ive got to get the head torque checked i think...

michael- there was no coolant in the overflow bottle which we thought was a bit odd. we topped that up and forgot about the radiator. fairly stupid aye. Nope No No No

but since the trip is hasn't got hot at all... which is good. Very Happy
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: MA61 5M-E Overheating *I think* Fri, 11 March 2005 01:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Change your radiator cap and see how it goes, it seems that the spring may be loose or gone...

But why? Aren't you going over to the 7M Razz

Cheers.
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: MA61 5M-E Overheating *I think* Fri, 11 March 2005 01:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i think i will change the radiator cap, its getting serviced soon...

this is on buffy, the red supra, with the 7m.

however the white supra has a fully recond radiator etc and its all fairly new so it should be peachy in the white one anyway Very Happy
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: MA61 5M-E Overheating *I think* Fri, 11 March 2005 01:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I called around some ford wreckers - got my au falcon thermos brand new for $250 with a 1 year warantee (which I promptly voided by cutting the shit outta the shroud and messing with the wiring).
Oh, and AU thermos are one of the main reasons I hate PNPL - they wanted $250 for AU falcon thermos with a fubar shroud
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: MA61 5M-E Overheating *I think* Fri, 11 March 2005 01:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The guy I got my new EL ones (BNIB Genuine Ford) are back on ebay (maxcashflow is the seller - I think that is the correct spelling) and there is some AU XR8 ones that are 115 at the moment.

Looking at the pics of the AU and EL ones, it appears that the positioning of the fans is the only difference

Cheers

Michael B
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: MA61 5M-E Overheating *I think* Fri, 11 March 2005 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehe ive seen the temperature bar graph on a supra rise to top.....then it just flashes at max

mmmm smell of toyota coolant simmering
ViPeR_NiPPleX
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: MA61 5M-E Overheating *I think* Fri, 11 March 2005 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mine just goes upto halfway and doesnt budge :S no matter how hard or soft i drive...
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: MA61 5M-E Overheating *I think* Fri, 11 March 2005 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Got the fans today with Allan's assistance first place they had it for AUD$250 but didn't have it to Tuesday so we went to another mob and it was $280 there and then... Allan being a mechanic and stuff I got it cheaper then 350 Very Happy

Cheers...
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: MA61 5M-E Overheating *I think* Fri, 11 March 2005 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSupra wrote on Fri, 11 March 2005 18:10

hehe ive seen the temperature bar graph on a supra rise to top.....then it just flashes at max

mmmm smell of toyota coolant simmering

haha yeh ive been there. fan got caught on teh shroud. Laughing
churning and bubbling didnt sound nice either
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: MA61 5M-E Overheating *I think* Fri, 11 March 2005 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehe my fuse for the thermos cooked and i was sitting in traffic on the way to uni

gotta love jz stubborn resistance
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 5M-E Overheating *I think* Fri, 11 March 2005 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that same familiar feeling when a headgasket pops on a 5me going 100KMH down a highway - that blinking and temp guage brings instant " WHAT THE F! " response!
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 5M-E Overheating *I think* Fri, 11 March 2005 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Evil_Foetus wrote on Fri, 11 March 2005 09:50

It's called heat-soak and it's quite normal. When you switch the engine off there's still a huge amount of heat stored in that big cast-iron block, and with the coolant no longer circulating the temperature can rise above boiling point. The radiator cap lets the steam out via the overflow bottle, hence the bubbles.

My 2JZ used to do this all the time until I wired up my thermo fans to constant power, ie if the coolant is hot the fans will come on even if the ignition is off. No more bubbling. Smile
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: MA61 5M-E Overheating *I think* Fri, 11 March 2005 23:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Sat, 12 March 2005 00:16

It's called heat-soak and it's quite normal. When you switch the engine off there's still a huge amount of heat stored in that big cast-iron block, and with the coolant no longer circulating the temperature can rise above boiling point. The radiator cap lets the steam out via the overflow bottle, hence the bubbles.

My 2JZ used to do this all the time until I wired up my thermo fans to constant power, ie if the coolant is hot the fans will come on even if the ignition is off. No more bubbling. Smile

thats good to hear. i was kinda worried my car was going to do or had done it's 3rd headgasket... Confused

cheers guys Very Happy
HKS_TRD
Regular

September 2002
Re: MA61 5M-E Overheating *I think* Sat, 12 March 2005 01:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My Old 5M-E MA61 would run with the temp gauge either at halfway or one bar below but 90% of the time at halfway.

HTH
Dan

[Updated on: Sat, 12 March 2005 01:05]

ViPeR_NiPPleX
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: MA61 5M-E Overheating *I think* Sat, 12 March 2005 01:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Sat, 12 March 2005 00:16

did the fans ever run enough to drain the battery so you couldnt start the car again?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 5M-E Overheating *I think* Sat, 12 March 2005 07:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've had my thermos wired up like this for nearly two years and I've never had a flat battery. In warmer weather the fans can stay on for half an hour after I shut off the engine, but it doesn't seem to be a problem.
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: MA61 5M-E Overheating *I think* Sat, 12 March 2005 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Fri, 11 March 2005 12:28

cutting the shit outta the shroud

no shit!! from todays fiting to tims MA61 I have moultent plastic burns on my hands, forhead and eyelid even with safety gear! SOOOOO much had to be trimed off but well worth it looks A1 - better fit then on the MA70!

Allan
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: MA61 5M-E Overheating *I think* Sat, 12 March 2005 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
of course, when you turn the engine off all the fans are doing is cooling the radiator - there is buggerall water flow (except temp differential exchange), so there's not much benefit to it.

and yes, a lot has to be taken off. I used a hack saw, file and power sander Smile
but in the end it is a great fit.

[Updated on: Sat, 12 March 2005 12:55]

brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: MA61 5M-E Overheating *I think* Sat, 12 March 2005 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Sat, 12 March 2005 18:01

I've had my thermos wired up like this for nearly two years and I've never had a flat battery. In warmer weather the fans can stay on for half an hour after I shut off the engine, but it doesn't seem to be a problem.

Shocked Shocked Shocked

must be a decent of a battery to stand 5+ amps(correct me if im rong) drawn for 1 hour

my supercheap battery would have bailed long ago Razz

brett
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 5M-E Overheating *I think* Sat, 12 March 2005 15:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's just a normal "heavy duty" battery, nothing special about it. My fans aren't especially big though (they're MA70 aircon fans) so they probably don't draw that much current.

Draven: there is actually quite a lot of coolant flow thanks to thermal currents. Proof of this is the way the fans cycle on and off every couple of minutes after the engine is hot; they cool the radiator and switch off, then after 30 seconds or so more hot coolant has flowed into the radiator so they switch on for a couple of minutes, then off for another 30 seconds, and so on about a dozen times over.

Also, if you watch the temperature gauge you can see what a difference the fans are making - the temp only climbs a couple of bars above normal, but with no fans I've seen it go all the way to the top and start flashing. That's indicating coolant temperature just out of the cylinder head, not in the radiator.
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: MA61 5M-E Overheating *I think* Sun, 13 March 2005 06:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Done the conversion... I would like to say a HUGE "Thank You" to Allan for helping me fix & wire up the Thermos to the car... Also I can't forget Yian and his LOW Supra as he went with Allan & I to pick up the Fans from Ford...

I'll post the Pics as soon as upload them on the Net.

Cheers.
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: MA61 5M-E With NEW AU thermos Sun, 13 March 2005 06:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rough cutting of the fans
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/CelicaSupra/ThermoRadiator/82a5b989.jpg

Thermo Switch
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/CelicaSupra/ThermoRadiator/ae8b52c4.jpg

Just close to the A/C pump
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/CelicaSupra/ThermoRadiator/a57f7168.jpg

More photos later on when I finish nightshift and then Uni.
Cheers

[Updated on: Sun, 13 March 2005 06:54]

Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: MA61 5M-E Overheating *I think* Sun, 13 March 2005 07:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ZZT231 wrote on Sun, 13 March 2005 16:31

Done the conversion... I would like to say a HUGE "Thank You" to Allan for helping me fix & wire up the Thermos to the car... Also I can't forget Yian and his LOW Supra as he went with Allan & I to pick up the Fans from Ford...

I'll post the Pics as soon as upload them on the Net.

Cheers.

Was it difficult?
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: MA61 5M-E Overheating *I think* Sun, 13 March 2005 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cyber-punk wrote on Sun, 13 March 2005 18:43

Was it difficult?

... Yes it was Mad ... Allan did most of the work and I stood back as I wasn't confident in doing it all on my own and didn't want to screw up a perfectly good radiator and scratch/damage the MA61 in anyway. PM/Message Allan as he would be happy to help as he did a fantastic job and both of us are happy with the job.

Most time consuming was trying to fit the fan/shroud to the radiator and making sure the A/C pump didn't touch it as depicted on the 3rd photo. Allan used an angle grinder with a metal blade and he caculated how much (a lot) plastic needed to be trimmed. Put it this way, if you needed to do it... Remove the horizontal bits around the fan just about so that the fans just sit flat but not too much as the motor shafts will touch/damage the radiator (in our case, too close for call).

PS To all those people who wire up relays - Borch Relays from Holdens (ie. after early 90's Commodore),those are different in pin outs compared to standard ones avaliable off the shop - Just becareful, as we had to change the pin outs from the relay base holder thingy Cool

I got more pictures but back to sleep I go, tomorrow night when I wake up after Uni I'll post more up...

Cheers.

[Updated on: Sun, 13 March 2005 10:50]

ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: MA61 5M-E Overheating *NOW Thermos 56K Killer* Sun, 13 March 2005 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No Message Body

[Updated on: Sun, 13 March 2005 11:11]

ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: MA61 5M-E Overheating *NOW Thermos 56K Killer* Sun, 13 March 2005 11:09 Go to previous message
Pricing-

• Genuine Ford AU fans (ER 8C607 A)- $280
  • Davies Craig Thermo Switch - $60
  • 3x 15amp wire - $20
  • 2x Borch relays 30amp (Holden)- $10
  • 2x Relay Blocks - $10
  • Conduit - $20
  • Heat Srink tubing- $10
  • Role of Nitto electrial tape - $3
  • Terminals and connectors- $20
  • Slastic(for sealing the sensor on the radiator and hose)- $15
  • 4x 20amp fuse - $2
  • 2x Relay Holders - $10
  • 80watt Soldering Iron - $20 (on special)
  • Soldering wire - $17
  • Tie downs - $3

Grand Total - AUD$502

Do not buy the Taiwanese fans as the quality is not good and might fall apart when taking large amount of plastic as I did Confused

[Updated on: Sun, 13 March 2005 11:16]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:AE86 brake upgrade
Next Topic:are wagon diffs stronger? please help
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 13 03:47:05 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0069379806518555 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.