Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
icethao
Newcomer

August 2004
ae 101 shocks Sat, 12 March 2005 02:26 Go to next message
hi,

im trying to get some koni shocks into my ae101 but seems like i need some kyb struts to fit them.. doesnt this seem rite? i think the ae101 came with munroe struts as factory standard.. any idea where i can get cheap used kyb struts for a ae101? or is there another way around this problem? i could just go for new kyb shockers but i thought i mite as well go for the best..aks koni's?

any help on this would be great..

thanks guys
  Send a private message to this user    
81LOWLUX
Regular

March 2005
Re: ae 101 shocks Sat, 12 March 2005 03:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I HELPED A MATE PUT KONIS INTO HIS ROLLA ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS TO BUY THE KONI INSERTS, DRILL A HOLE IN THE END OF THE STRUT (TO ALLOW OIL TO DRAIN OUT AND TO BOLT IN THE INSERT), GET YOURSELF A METAL DROPSAW AND CUT THE STRUT TUBES, INSERT THE INSERTS, WACK WITH A REALY BIG HAMMER, BOLT THE INSERT THROUGH THE BOTTOM OF THE STRUT THROUGH HOLE YOU DRILLED, THEN BOLT BACK INTO THE CAR.
EASY, ALL INSTRUCTIONS COME WITH THE SHOCKS AND IT TOOK US 2 HOURS TO DO ALL 4.
HOPE THAT HELPS.
Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: ae 101 shocks Sat, 12 March 2005 03:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

HELPED A MATE PUT KONIS INTO HIS ROLLA ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS TO BUY THE KONI INSERTS, DRILL A HOLE IN THE END OF THE STRUT (TO ALLOW OIL TO DRAIN OUT AND TO BOLT IN THE INSERT), GET YOURSELF A METAL DROPSAW AND CUT THE STRUT TUBES, INSERT THE INSERTS, WACK WITH A REALY BIG HAMMER, BOLT THE INSERT THROUGH THE BOTTOM OF THE STRUT THROUGH HOLE YOU DRILLED, THEN BOLT BACK INTO THE CAR.
EASY, ALL INSTRUCTIONS COME WITH THE SHOCKS AND IT TOOK US 2 HOURS TO DO ALL 4.
HOPE THAT HELPS.

That's all well and good for and AE92 or import AE101... you'll find your got monroes in the AE101 and inserts koni's will not fit, That I'm 100% sure of as I had this problem. The way around them is go down to an importer and get the imported struts, which are KYB's or if your willing to wait a few weeks I'll have a set Fronts and Rears available. We end up in the first one using AE92 front struts and Camry SV21 rears. The rears I had to make an insert to stop the insert flapping around on the inside, it was a real bastard, and at the time ('95) no had tried konis in them.
81LOWLUX
Regular

March 2005
Re: ae 101 shocks Sat, 12 March 2005 04:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WE DID HIS SHOCKS ONLY 12 MONTHS AGO, THERE WAS DEFINATLY NO FLAPPING AS WE HAD TO GRIND THE PAINT OFF THE INSERTS SO THEY WOULD FIT AS THEY ARE THAT TIGHT.
Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: ae 101 shocks Sun, 13 March 2005 02:05 Go to previous message
Quote:

THERE WAS DEFINATLY NO FLAPPING AS

Here we go again... another low brow... Read the fricking thread..
Quote:

Camry SV21 rears
= flapping. If the original's are Monroe that were released from toyota, KONI INSERTS DON'T FIT!! If the Vehicle has KYB's, which some do!! They will fit... It's quite clear he has Monroe, which at the top of the strut is wider than the bottom (around 10cm from the top you'll see it narrow in diameter on all four struts), Now if the struts you converted didn't do this ie same diameter straight down, their from a different model, most likely an AE92 or you may have a very, very early AE101, just after the change over from the AE92 where Toyota uses up all it's left overs from the earlier model. Now The new Monroes my supplier gave me while I sorted these issue out (remember back in "95 not much info on these back then) did the same, and similar the last ones I did Three week ago did the same and the koni we put in two months ago.... do i keep going? Regardless of you did it 12mth's ago I have been preparing and racing this exact model for close to Ten years now, Yes it does take around two hours, AS LONG AS YOU'VE GOT THE RIGHT SHOCKS!!!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Wiring Help
Next Topic:How to RAISE your 3SGTE from an ST185 GT4
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 04:17:38 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.004223108291626 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.