Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Do you need an oil cooler on a 4AGE??

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
sonwill
Regular

February 2005
Do you need an oil cooler on a 4AGE?? Sat, 12 March 2005 05:30 Go to next message
The engine that I just picked up is missing the sandwich plate for the oil cooler. My question is, do you really need the cooler in the 86kw 4age? I have the cooler but no lines and sandwich plate.

Thanks
  Send a private message to this user    
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: Do you need an oil cooler on a 4AGE?? Sat, 12 March 2005 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no its not vital
ae86's make do without one
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Do you need an oil cooler on a 4AGE?? Sat, 12 March 2005 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
all ae92/ae93s (100kw) have them
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Do you need an oil cooler on a 4AGE?? Sat, 12 March 2005 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its not necessary, but its also not a bad idea to chuck it on anyway.

If you already have the cooler and the sandwich plate, the oil cooler lines only cost around $5-10p/metre at Supercheap, and with some hose clamps you have yourself an oil cooler Very Happy
NuGeN
Regular

April 2003
Re: Do you need an oil cooler on a 4AGE?? Sat, 12 March 2005 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My ae92 corolla csi (read: 4a-fe) has a stock oil cooler.
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
wtf is a jabber? a punch line?
Re: Do you need an oil cooler on a 4AGE?? Sat, 12 March 2005 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
can u use a oil catch can and oil cooler on the same pipes? like from the oil cooler to oil catch can?
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
icon13.gif  Re: Do you need an oil cooler on a 4AGE?? Sat, 12 March 2005 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Do you need an oil cooler on a 4AGE?? Sat, 12 March 2005 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rthy wrote on Sun, 13 March 2005 01:06

can u use a oil catch can and oil cooler on the same pipes? like from the oil cooler to oil catch can?

A catch can is for seperating oil from the air in your PCV line.
Unless you really want to remove all of the oil from your oil lines it probably isn't the best idea to put a catch can on it.
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
wtf is a jabber? a punch line?
Re: Do you need an oil cooler on a 4AGE?? Sat, 12 March 2005 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wat about oil cooler to oil cooler?
sonwill
Regular

February 2005
Re: Do you need an oil cooler on a 4AGE?? Sun, 13 March 2005 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Where is the best place to look for the sandwich plate as I am missing that. I have the oil cooler.

Thanks
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: Do you need an oil cooler on a 4AGE?? Sun, 13 March 2005 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a wrecker, same place you look for any part.
jese1218
Regular

March 2005
Re: Do you need an oil cooler on a 4AGE?? Sun, 13 March 2005 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Whats the benefits of an oil cooler?
My car runs a bit warm in hotter temps (>26c) and wondering if it's worth the effort.
Will it make the engine run a little cooler?
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: Do you need an oil cooler on a 4AGE?? Sun, 13 March 2005 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its doubtful.
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Do you need an oil cooler on a 4AGE?? Sun, 13 March 2005 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jese1218 wrote on Sun, 13 March 2005 18:00

Whats the benefits of an oil cooler?
My car runs a bit warm in hotter temps (>26c) and wondering if it's worth the effort.

From what i understand it helps keep the oil at a more constant temperature(when used with a thermostat block?) which increases your engines life due to the oil's properties not going out the window due to it being warm enough to flash fry a cow in Smile
monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Do you need an oil cooler on a 4AGE?? Sun, 13 March 2005 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jese1218 wrote on Sun, 13 March 2005 18:00

I have read of people acheiving lower engine (read: water) temps from adding an oil cooler. Treat it like an added bonus though, there are better ways to stop overheating engines.
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Do you need an oil cooler on a 4AGE?? Sun, 13 March 2005 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
monkeymajik - Got a few other ideas on that topic to avoid cars overheating?

Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Do you need an oil cooler on a 4AGE?? Sun, 13 March 2005 23:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats easy, have a air splitter, ducting, remove your air con condensor, cut holes in your bumper and get a good late model radiator that takes up all the available space. I am running a Hyundai one on my sprinter without the fans hooked up and I have ran it like that for atleast half a year. Only once did it get a bit warm without the fan(s), I was stuck in traffic for a few minutes on a 35 degree day.
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: Do you need an oil cooler on a 4AGE?? Mon, 14 March 2005 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bit risky not running a fan dont you think?
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Do you need an oil cooler on a 4AGE?? Mon, 14 March 2005 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you would think so yeah but I keep an eye on the temps and it takes unusually long to heat up. If I was one to get stuck in the city in slow moving traffic or something for a while it would be mechanical suicide, but I don't do that and I havent overheated it once. I took the larger fan off but I do plan on hooking up the small air con fan up as a just incase measure. I have to say though the main reson why I havent bothered too much is because I havent done my engine conversion yet and I consider my engine fairly disposable, once I put my 20V engine in I will make sure I have something.
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: Do you need an oil cooler on a 4AGE?? Mon, 14 March 2005 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
takes a while to heat up? no thermostat?
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Do you need an oil cooler on a 4AGE?? Mon, 14 March 2005 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no no, my fault I mean it takes a while to get hot, my engine gets up to tempreture amazingly quick, even quicker than my corolla I had with a brand new thermostat with the same model engine. But to go from a quarter to three quarters would probably take many minutes in one spot.

As for the oil cooler I have been told that the standard 4age one is a pile of crap, what do people think about this?
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: Do you need an oil cooler on a 4AGE?? Mon, 14 March 2005 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well i figure its better than none, i mean the ge gets one but the gze doesnt. so when i converted my Z to a T i got one. dunno how much it does. but im of the understanding that a thermostatically controlled one is better, because oil is designed to be hot, so you want it to warm up to the correct temp, a normal bypass cooler doesnt do that, so could POTENTIALLY be too cold.
i wonder why the gze didnt get one? its not like there was less room for it.
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Do you need an oil cooler on a 4AGE?? Mon, 14 March 2005 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
your very right its a very odd situation, so wheres this electronic control and how do I get one?
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: Do you need an oil cooler on a 4AGE?? Mon, 14 March 2005 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not electronically controlled, its just the complete setup from a 4age, the sandwhich plate that the oil feeds from has a wax type thermostat im led to believe.
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: Do you need an oil cooler on a 4AGE?? Mon, 14 March 2005 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the 4age sandwich plate i had was a factory toyota item and had a built in thermo stat. a lot of aftermarket rbands dont have one.
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Do you need an oil cooler on a 4AGE?? Mon, 14 March 2005 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah I was told that they had something built into them but they just seemed too small for it. I have one on my factory 20V. I have been told however that they can get a fatuged spring or something that causes a loss in oil pressure, ever heard of that one guys?
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: Do you need an oil cooler on a 4AGE?? Tue, 15 March 2005 06:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i thought the only oil that went through the cooler was the excess oil pressure bled from the relief valve. but having said that, since i went turbo ive have lost a bit of oil pressure which has concerned me from the begining. i didnt know if it were due to the turbo requiring oil feed, my oil pump on its way out, or maybe even what you say.
monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Do you need an oil cooler on a 4AGE?? Tue, 15 March 2005 06:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you have a turbo I wouldnt worry about a thermostat in the oil loop, the oil will heat up quick enough full flow or not. Wouldnt think a themostat in the sandwich plate would be crucial in our climate anyway (excluding a few very cold parts of aus).
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: Do you need an oil cooler on a 4AGE?? Wed, 16 March 2005 06:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
but how can you run the factory oil cooler without it? cause afaik its just a bypass cooler. so i spose that wouldnt cause my oil pressure problems anyway if thats true...
Hunty
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Do you need an oil cooler on a 4AGE?? Wed, 16 March 2005 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey i got a 100kw 4age and no oil cooler Sad whats goin on? theres no lines on the sump for a cooler, was it only specific models that had the cooler?

Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Do you need an oil cooler on a 4AGE?? Wed, 16 March 2005 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if the thermal regulation was up the creek it is in theory possible for it to pass more oil through the cooler than what it's meant to, too much and it should drop the oil pressure.

Also what type of line do I ask for to run to my oil cooler?
VB gze
Regular

January 2003
Re: Do you need an oil cooler on a 4AGE?? Wed, 16 March 2005 23:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I thought all jap spec motors 4ages had no oil coiler and no provision for it. They put them an the aus spec stuff because it gets so much hotter here than in Japan.
Hunty
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Do you need an oil cooler on a 4AGE?? Thu, 17 March 2005 03:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that would make sense then, it is a jdm motor
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: Do you need an oil cooler on a 4AGE?? Thu, 17 March 2005 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
but i didnt think the thermostat regulated the pressure, i thought it only receieved the 'relieved' pressure from the oil filter? but i dont know any think forsure, im only going by what others have said. might be worth while to change it and see what happens.
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Do you need an oil cooler on a 4AGE?? Fri, 18 March 2005 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what I meant is that if it wasn't doing it's job right then it won't just releive excess pressure but it will let too much through and hence drop the total oil pressure.
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: Do you need an oil cooler on a 4AGE?? Sat, 19 March 2005 02:09 Go to previous message
yeah what im saying is, it doesnt regulate or relieve oil pressure, i was under the impression it 'recieved' excess oil from the oil filter or regulating valve already part of the engine, the thermo has no pressure control as its after the pressure has been controled, if you understand what im saying Confused
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Help with how to convert 2t to 2t-G
Next Topic:RA23 rust below rear windows
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 13:14:21 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.006648063659668 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.