Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » celica's super and unleaded fuel when did they change

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
piggy
Regular

March 2005
celica's super and unleaded fuel when did they change Thu, 10 March 2005 08:39 Go to next message
what year dose the celica's stop using super and start using unleaded? also dose anyone know how much it would cost to convert a celica engine to be able to take unleaded fuel? Are the old celica's able to take unleaded with ease?

thanks for any help
chris

[Updated on: Thu, 10 March 2005 08:39]

Send a private message to this user    
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: fuel Thu, 10 March 2005 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
does it have an alloy head?
if so, ti should be fine on unleaded, as alloy heads already have hardened valve seats.. as compared to the cast iron head that came on 'local' models...
piggy
Regular

March 2005
Re: fuel Thu, 10 March 2005 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
would you have to put the higher octane fuel in or would normal unleaded do if the heads are alloys?
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: fuel Thu, 10 March 2005 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The ST162, released in late 1985, the first FWD model, was the first Celica to use unleaded fuel.
The early Celica's with the 2T engine, 1970 - 1975 also are fine on unleaded, the 18R-C is the 1976-1977 Celica's is about the only engine that suffers long term damage on unleaded, as valve seat recession occurs, over a long period of time.
Alloy heads don't require high octane unleaded. The cheapest stuff is fine.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: celica's super and unleaded fuel when did they change Thu, 10 March 2005 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lead is a non-issue if you drive a Japanese car, unless it's from the 60's or earlier. Your engine may be happier on the high octane stuff, but it's a case of try it and see. I used to run my 74 TA22 on nothing but regular ULP and it went quite well.
piggy
Regular

March 2005
Re: fuel Thu, 10 March 2005 20:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok thanks for that
piggy
Regular

March 2005
Re: fuel Sat, 12 March 2005 07:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh by the way do i need to get a cat capacitor to be put in the car or is it fine and legal to not have one? thanks
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: celica's super and unleaded fuel when did they change Sat, 12 March 2005 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A catalytic converter is only required on vehicles originally fitted with them, all of which will be post-85.
wolverine
Regular

November 2004
Re: celica's super and unleaded fuel when did they change Sat, 12 March 2005 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have 18 rgeu twin carbie solex

so i can use unleaded no problem then????????

how about optimax?????
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: celica's super and unleaded fuel when did they change Sat, 12 March 2005 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I ran Optimax & Ultimate on my 2T-GEU, ran great, no problems.
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: celica's super and unleaded fuel when did they change Sat, 12 March 2005 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FWIW, the RA65 ('85 model year) was the first celica to have EFI in Aus, and it had leaded specified - it is a requirement not for the valve seat lubrication, but for the octane level. Also, I'm not sure if Australia had unleaded in '85. The ST162 ('86 model year) was unleaded.

Like the others said, a lot toyota engines pre-'85 already had hardened valve seats, as they were being used in other countries which did use unleaded.
wolverine
Regular

November 2004
Re: celica's super and unleaded fuel when did they change Sat, 12 March 2005 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no mods needed????????? Shocked
Dale_ta22
Regular

September 2004
Re: celica's super and unleaded fuel when did they change Sat, 12 March 2005 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They started off running on unleaded Cool (as already said in this thread)
Japan used unleaded back in the 70's, seems Aus are a bit far behind with some things!
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: celica's super and unleaded fuel when did they change Sat, 12 March 2005 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my dad's datsun 1200 ute (1979) has done over 1 200 000 kms Shocked , yes thats 1, 200, 000 kms on unleaded....runs fine

brett
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: celica's super and unleaded fuel when did they change Sat, 12 March 2005 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Thu, 10 March 2005 22:51

Lead is a non-issue if you drive a Japanese car, unless it's from the 60's or earlier.

How many times does it need to be said? Rolling Eyes
allencr
Regular

May 2002
Re: celica's super and unleaded fuel when did they change Sat, 12 March 2005 23:13 Go to previous message
i think lead is a non-issue ALL the time.
AMOCO has been selling "unleaded high test" in the USofA since the 50's when there were almost no engines that had anything other then cast iron blocks & heads for their valve seat material.
if there were much truth to the lead thing, the weasels & lawyers would have been all over it a long time ago.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:RA23 Suspension
Next Topic:Apexi SAFC
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 20 05:05:54 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0047390460968018 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.