Toymods » General Car Talk » Toyota Camry Supercharger TS-01 Concept

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
CamryMan
Regular

May 2002
Toyota Camry Supercharger TS-01 Concept Sat, 12 March 2005 11:51 Go to next message
I've just read about this car in Motor magazine, who actually drove it just before Christmas. But back then it was just a black test mule with no bodykit, just the essentials.

The supercharger is the US TRD unit but I was suprised a lot of other hardware didn't come from there as well. It's unlike Toyota to "reinvent the wheel"

http://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring/news_reports/images/toyota-ts-01.JPG

The Factory ECU was re-mapped in Japan, probably because the US has crappier fuel than in Oz would you believe ( I think their premium is 91 RON, ours is now 98). It has a short shifter. The brakes are off a Corvett with locally developed twin piston PBR calipers ( they could have raided the GT4, Supra or Lexus parts bin but maybe this was a cheaper option or to compile with local parts content ) and it runs on 18" rims. Clutch is off a GT4 with a standard Camry 5 speed. It runs dual exhausts. The suspension is lower and shocks stiffened. Faster ratio steering rack. No intercooler but a cold air intake starting from the front air dam.

I suppose with this new shape the alternator hitting the supercharger for the RHD Camry isn't an issue anymore.

http://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring/news_reports/images/toyota-ts-02.JPG

[Updated on: Sat, 12 March 2005 12:23]

Send a private message to this user    
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: Toyota Camry Supercharger TS-01 Concept Sat, 12 March 2005 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looks pretty mean, if I had to cart the family around in something that's a decent option!
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Toyota Camry Supercharger TS-01 Concept Sat, 12 March 2005 17:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CamryMan wrote on Sat, 12 March 2005 22:51

the US has crappier fuel than in Oz would you believe ( I think their premium is 91 RON, ours is now 98).

That's not correct. Firstly their premium is 93, not 91. Secondly their's is measured differently.

We measure ours in straight RON (Research Octane Number) which is a measurement of how resistant petrol is to premature detonation (knocking).
The other measurement is MON (Motor Octane Number) which is a better measurement of how the fuel behaves when under load. The MON of modern petrol is generally about 10 points lower than the RON.

In Australia and Europe we take just the RON (Research Octane Number).
In the USA they take the average of the RON and MON to create another measurement called RON as well but it stands for Road Octane Number instead of Research Octane Number. MON is 10 points lower than our RON so if you take the average of MON and Research Octane Number, the Road Octane Number will be 5 points lower.

Thus 93 + 5 = 98.
It's a bit confusing, using the same acronym but there ya go! Smile
MFN-MAN
Occasional Poster

December 2003
Re: Toyota Camry Supercharger TS-01 Concept Sat, 12 March 2005 22:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd like to see Toyota follow through with something finally! Their T-CAM dept. has shown they have the resources and the know how, but just the get go is lacking! Sad Such a shame...

Did Motor have a date or pricing? I'd spose it be priced in Sportivo/Grande range, if not higher.

Oh yeh, i like it, looks fantazmic Very Happy
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Toyota Camry Supercharger TS-01 Concept Sat, 12 March 2005 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cool, got any more pics mate? actually ill try google
skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: Toyota Camry Supercharger TS-01 Concept Sun, 13 March 2005 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
old_mr2 wrote on Sun, 13 March 2005 10:26

cool, got any more pics mate? actually ill try google

heheh, good idea... Laughing
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Toyota Camry Supercharger TS-01 Concept Tue, 15 March 2005 03:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Saw this at the motorshow yesterday - looks good! Nice interior too. It was drawing a bit of positive attention, hopefully managment might take notice of this?
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Toyota Camry Supercharger TS-01 Concept Tue, 15 March 2005 04:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smashed_wombat wrote on Tue, 15 March 2005 14:42

hopefully managment might take notice of this?

HA!
Theyll probably drop the supercharger and name it a sportivo lol
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Toyota Camry Supercharger TS-01 Concept Thu, 17 March 2005 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jag7799 wrote on Tue, 15 March 2005 15:28

smashed_wombat wrote on Tue, 15 March 2005 14:42

hopefully managment might take notice of this?

HA!
Theyll probably drop the supercharger and name it a sportivo lol

Didn't they do that already Laughing

h3ff44
Forums Junkie

February 2005
Re: Toyota Camry Supercharger TS-01 Concept Thu, 17 March 2005 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i went to a design XXXX something in the city the other night for school n had some speaker from toyota to talk to us about what his job is how he got there n stuff n wat projects hes worked on.

and he sai he worked on this new car here ^^^^^^^^^
and he said how it was a worked standard camry motor with supercharger but the picture he had of the engine bay had a (something of the size of a gt28 on it)

n im like thats a turbocharger not a supercharger n hes like ahhhh ehhh ummm welll soo any way *he was an asian man that had bad english* (skipped words n said ahhhh alot)

twas rather interesting but yet he didnt really know much about the car its self.
unforgiven
Forums Junkie

February 2005
Re: Toyota Camry Supercharger TS-01 Concept Thu, 17 March 2005 10:05 Go to previous message
Looks horn!! I would go sideways in that anyday.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:WINDOW REGULATOR
Next Topic:Japanese Imports
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 2 13:25:46 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.010504007339478 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.