Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
TOYBOYEE
Regular

February 2005
coilovers for AE86 sprinter Sun, 13 March 2005 01:28 Go to next message

Hey guys,

I just bought a AE86 Sprinter and have around $3000 to start modding it.

My mate told me the first thing i should improve is the handling and its worth buying good coilover suspension and a 2way LSD, I don't mind spending upto $2000 for each.

Is there any brands and types you'd recommend?

I want parts which will last.

Send a private message to this user    
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: coilovers for AE86 sprinter Sun, 13 March 2005 02:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think spending some time on the search function comes to mind Very Happy

As for the LSD, you still got a 4AC? It's probably not going to help much if that's the case...

Suspension, brakes, diffs, etc. have definately been covered a, er, fair bit before though.
xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: coilovers for AE86 sprinter Sun, 13 March 2005 02:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if it's an aspec i don't think you should be looking for a lsd just yet

good job your going for handling first, most people go for the engine, even me. but i did it because my 4ac engine gave up on me
TOYBOYEE
Regular

February 2005
Re: coilovers for AE86 sprinter Sun, 13 March 2005 02:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Yeah is just the 4AC.

Hmm... no need for LSD atm??

ok coolz, what brand suspension do u know is good and long lasting??

ShiRi
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: coilovers for AE86 sprinter Sun, 13 March 2005 02:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
xolent wrote on Sun, 13 March 2005 13:05

if it's an aspec i don't think you should be looking for a lsd just yet

whats ur reasoning behind this?

btw... SEARCH... the suspension topic for the 86 has been covered since the dawn of time

[Updated on: Sun, 13 March 2005 02:55]

xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: coilovers for AE86 sprinter Sun, 13 March 2005 03:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what u mean?
a trd 2way lsd wasn't made to fit an aspec
ShiRi
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: coilovers for AE86 sprinter Sun, 13 March 2005 03:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
he is prepaired to pay up to 2000 for both... that wuld more than cover the cost of importing a t-series disc diff and buying a brand new lsd...
TOYBOYEE
Regular

February 2005
Re: coilovers for AE86 sprinter Sun, 13 March 2005 04:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ShiRi wrote on Sun, 13 March 2005 14:11

he is prepaired to pay up to 2000 for both... that wuld more than cover the cost of importing a t-series disc diff and buying a brand new lsd...

Do you recommend anyone i can import the diff thru??
u mean like T18 right??

Ko Ko
Regular

May 2003
Re: coilovers for AE86 sprinter Sun, 13 March 2005 04:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just to put it straight to you like most people have said.... search around the web and on this site and read old posts talking about suspension and lsd. It should help alot and know whats out there ot buy and what fits the actual car and who to buy parts off.

The t series diff that would be best importing for your budget would be the t series disc brake rear end from the jap spec ae86. Pretty much the same as a t18 however that diff has drum brakes and can be locally found.
TOYBOYEE
Regular

February 2005
Re: coilovers for AE86 sprinter Sun, 13 March 2005 04:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Hahaha... see??

why go searching the whole forums for sumthing when such nice
ppl offer their tips anyways???... hehe j/k

yeah i guess i should put a bit more effort into researching this huh?? i might just learn sumthin,

thanks guys you've helped me stax

if u there's anything else you guys think i should be aware of
before i take the plunge into buying the diff and suspension plse tell Very Happy

xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: coilovers for AE86 sprinter Sun, 13 March 2005 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ShiRi wrote on Sun, 13 March 2005 14:11

yeh but i assumed he wasn't after one yet

i thought he was planning to buy a trd lsd first without having a t series diff

it'd be best if you just get a t18, you'd save a few hundred, and could get a diff, suspension set up and lsd in your budget

TOYBOYEE
Regular

February 2005
Re: coilovers for AE86 sprinter Sun, 13 March 2005 05:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Well i'm in Sydney... what's the best way for me to get a
JDM t-series diff??

my stock diff may need to be replaced anyways.

gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: coilovers for AE86 sprinter Sun, 13 March 2005 06:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i recomend ringing the japanease domestic market

you can find the number in the yellow pages
Patr1c
Regular

May 2002
Re: coilovers for AE86 sprinter Sun, 13 March 2005 06:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Upgrade path should be as follows
- Tires
- Brakes
- Suspension
- LSD
- Engine
TOYBOYEE
Regular

February 2005
Re: coilovers for AE86 sprinter Sun, 13 March 2005 06:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Patr1c wrote on Sun, 13 March 2005 17:41

Upgrade path should be as follows
- Tires
- Brakes
- Suspension
- LSD
- Engine

Do you think its best to get the JDM t-series diff??
barned01
Regular

September 2003
Re: coilovers for AE86 sprinter Sun, 13 March 2005 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
in terms of suspension you would need to buy a coil over sleeve kit for your car. There is a group buy going on for this at the moment but be quick http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=60556&start=0&rid=3721&S=bb758d16c57 39af8b82378b4166f994c i believe dirty sanchez has an ae86 that he is performin this coil over conversion to ($~270).
new springs would be required (somewhere between $80 and $200 each)
and you would probably want new adjustable shockers also (others might know more about this as i ain't up to that bit just yet but brands to look for a Tociko (spelling?) and koni).
plus labour should get this under 2000

if you included brakes there are a few ways to skin that cat ranging from strut changes (ra60 with issues, ra40) to custom brackets to suit other brakes (ma61, rx7, possibly r33) but searching should help.
Ko Ko
Regular

May 2003
Re: coilovers for AE86 sprinter Sun, 13 March 2005 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah dude, the guy above me is right..

I think preferable dont worry about the diff too much right now. Well start of with a good set off wheels and tyres and suspension to start.

Try and get some good diameter and width rims covered in some nice tyres because the tyres are the only things in contact with the road. So dont skim in tyres as it can effect the handling of a car to some extent.

Get some decent suspension. It doesn't have to be coilovers as such but would be nice if you have the budget to do it. For coilovers personally try and get some cusco coilovers and they sell for around 2000. No need to get coilover sleeves.

However if you opt for the koni of tokico brand suspension set up you will need to get a coilover sleeve made up which many places do in Sydney.

I dont think just getting a t series rear end would do much on a stock sprinter. The best was to get handling for you at the moment is to upgrade the suspension and bushes.

Hoped this helped
xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: coilovers for AE86 sprinter Sun, 13 March 2005 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh, but bear in mind this is your car, so there is no WRONG way into doing it. do whatever you want to your car, take whatever, in the end it'll still be the same set up i guess. but within your budget, 3k, you could get a good suspension set up, new trd lsd and t18 diff.
that's pretty much what i'm after all in one go

i just like meeting people who prefer handling over getting rid of that 4ac and having almost double the power Very Happy
TOYBOYEE
Regular

February 2005
Re: coilovers for AE86 sprinter Tue, 15 March 2005 22:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

So what's a good diameter for the wheels??

is 15" ok??... what width would u recommend?

i been looking for chrome/silver dishes and black spokes,

do u know any brand names for these??

TOYBOYEE
Regular

February 2005
Re: coilovers for AE86 sprinter Tue, 15 March 2005 22:20 Go to previous message
xolent wrote on Sun, 13 March 2005 22:30

yeh, but bear in mind this is your car, so there is no WRONG way into doing it. do whatever you want to your car, take whatever, in the end it'll still be the same set up i guess. but within your budget, 3k, you could get a good suspension set up, new trd lsd and t18 diff.
that's pretty much what i'm after all in one go

i just like meeting people who prefer handling over getting rid of that 4ac and having almost double the power Very Happy

Hehe... yeah.. well i guess if i just wanted straight line performance i would've got a different car Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:RA60 measurement needed please :)
Next Topic:3SGTE problems
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 6 03:38:03 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0054540634155273 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.