Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
hokey
Forums Junkie

September 2004
How to tell if rings are worn Fri, 11 March 2005 10:03 Go to next message
Hey,
i hav a 3t stripped down and am making a 3tg. when the 3t was running it ran fine not blowing smoke or anything. i am just wonderin how i tell if the rings are worn at all cause i don't want to build it and then have to strip it down again.

thanx for the help,

Cheers, Calvin
  Send a private message to this user    
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: How to tell if rings are worn Fri, 11 March 2005 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Check bore for wear/taper. If within limits hone. Rings cost fuckall (relative to tearing down a motor after you have assembled it and run it to discover they are stuffed) so replace them.
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: How to tell if rings are worn Fri, 11 March 2005 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah definately if you have the motor apart, do them. rings will generally cost around the $50 mark for a set.
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: How to tell if rings are worn Fri, 11 March 2005 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah same boat. Check the bore for wear. But arn't the twin cam pistons different to the OHV pistons ? IMO i'd go straight for new rings since the motor's been striped
hokey
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: How to tell if rings are worn Fri, 11 March 2005 22:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
towe_001 wrote on Fri, 11 March 2005 23:29

But arn't the twin cam pistons different to the OHV pistons ?

if u are talkin about 2tg and 3t pistons then yes. to put on the twincam head all you need to do is regrind the valve reliefs on the pistons.

-Calvin
81LOWLUX
Regular

March 2005
Re: How to tell if rings are worn Sat, 12 March 2005 02:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JUST REPLACE THEM AND YOU WONT HAVE TO WORRIE ABOUT IT FROM THERE. MAKE SURE YOU HONE THE BOARS THOUGH.
hokey
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: How to tell if rings are worn Sat, 12 March 2005 22:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
when i get the block honed does anyone know if they will want a bare block or can i leave the crankshaft on and a couple of other things aswell?

Cheers, Calvin
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: How to tell if rings are worn Sun, 13 March 2005 07:41 Go to previous message
yeah you can leave the crank in, its easier to do if you dont though. you can very easily hone it yourself tho if you get a honing tool and you have a drill. there is a very specific way to do it tho for those who think you cn just shove it in and go for it.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:cold air intake
Next Topic:which engine..?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 12 08:13:51 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0040371417999268 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.