Toymods » Tech & Conversions » ST185 electronic speed sensor wiring

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
dynomatt
Regular

May 2004
ST185 electronic speed sensor wiring Wed, 09 March 2005 03:38 Go to next message
Hi,

Anybody know what the pin arrangement is for the speed sensor on the ST185 Aus spec gearboxes?

There is 3 pins...I'm assuming +ve, -ve and signal...but not sure which is which.

Thanks,
Matt
  Send a private message to this user    
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: ST185 electronic speed sensor wiring Wed, 09 March 2005 06:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
matt - i'll check my conversion notes book when i get home.

From memory *rough memory*

R-L = ign 12V+
R-Y = earth
R-G = output

I am most likely wrong, so please wait until tonight when i can update that info Smiley =

NB: these wires go to the instrument cluster and drive the electronic speedo. The electronic speedo then gives a 4 pulse per revolution output which goes into the ECU's "SPD" pin with a purple/white wire.

HOORAH!
-==L=a=N=c=E==-
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: ST185 electronic speed sensor wiring Wed, 09 March 2005 07:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So is the signal coming from the gearbox, what is it, a voltage or something else?

dynomatt
Regular

May 2004
Re: ST185 electronic speed sensor wiring Wed, 09 March 2005 21:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The speed sensor *should* be a hall-effect sensor.

Meaning, you put twelve (or less) volts in, and the spinning shaft lets the circuit be made. The time between pulses, is the speed.

I'm using the sensor as an alternate probe for my Terratrip...so I'll probably only use the +5v that the Terratrip provides, and then the signal wire back.

THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: ST185 electronic speed sensor wiring Wed, 09 March 2005 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
matt,

sorry mate, i didnt get home till late cos i went to the drags instead Sad

I'll try and dig up that info again if i can remember to. AFAIK it is either a reed switch or hall effect sensor that is used to give a pulse output. Once again, i will have more info once i get my notes.....
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: ST185 electronic speed sensor wiring Wed, 09 March 2005 23:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I checked on my Alldata subscription but it looks like the american versions didn't come with electronic speedo's. Sad

I think there is a copy of the workshop manuals on alltrac.net somewhere but then that could well be the US version too.

Worst case scenario I have the paper manuals at home burried somewhere under a pile of spare parts.
Will find out for you and post it up.
dynomatt
Regular

May 2004
Re: ST185 electronic speed sensor wiring Wed, 09 March 2005 23:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tops...thanks guys.

I was hoping you'd reply toobs, coz you'd mentioned this data to me in the past.

M
-==L=a=N=c=E==-
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: ST185 electronic speed sensor wiring Thu, 10 March 2005 01:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so whats the easiest way to read the signal and convert it to switch on devices at certain speeds?
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: ST185 electronic speed sensor wiring Thu, 10 March 2005 01:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just had a thought... why don't you just take the speed sensor signal from the ECU?

On the 22P connector its the 3rd pin from the left on the top row.
dynomatt
Regular

May 2004
Re: ST185 electronic speed sensor wiring Thu, 10 March 2005 03:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Motec doesn't need the speed signal Wink

Matt
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: ST185 electronic speed sensor wiring Thu, 10 March 2005 04:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lucky you gave me that Gen2 loom to look after for you then.
I will check what colour the wire is (was) and post it up so you can rediscover it in your loom.
dynomatt
Regular

May 2004
Re: ST185 electronic speed sensor wiring Thu, 10 March 2005 04:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Look after it for you??? Laughing \

I see it's for sale in another thread...a tidy profit for you!!!
Laughing
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: ST185 electronic speed sensor wiring Thu, 10 March 2005 04:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fortunately for you nobody on Toymods buys things anymore... Very Happy
I've still got the majority of an engine package but still no interest.

Don't have a spare GrpA ECU lying around do you?
Or intake & exhaust manifolds?

If nobody wants the engine I'll just keep it as a sparey and load all the bits I rip out of the Gen3 into it (rods, pistons, cams etc.)
dynomatt
Regular

May 2004
Re: ST185 electronic speed sensor wiring Thu, 10 March 2005 04:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nope...the ECU ended up in Brisbane with somebody...can't think of his name.

I have the manifolds, but keeping them as spares at the moment.

M
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: ST185 electronic speed sensor wiring Thu, 10 March 2005 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dynomatt wrote on Thu, 10 March 2005 15:27

Nope...the ECU ended up in Brisbane with somebody...can't think of his name.

I have the manifolds, but keeping them as spares at the moment.

M

Yeah you need to be prepared in case there is "Danger to teh manifold!"
Never know when a 150hp shot of nitrous will blow your IC, intake and bonnet through the roof of the garage ay Very Happy
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ST185 electronic speed sensor wiring Thu, 10 March 2005 08:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok - this is something i didnt know - Gt4 - electronic speedo signal ??

not cable - Hmms - learn something new every day

As for that G2 loom - they fella who bought my motor will probably need one to hook it into a ra65 - if your selling it down the track
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: ST185 electronic speed sensor wiring Thu, 10 March 2005 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
L-W (Blue with white splash) at the gearbox end.

Also is pin 11 on connector B of your instrument cluster.
Which translates to the middle plug second pin from the left if you look at the plug from the drivers seat.

The 3rd pin along the top row of the 22p connector on the ECU is pink with a red splash (I think).

The first two come from the body electrical manual and the ECU colour is from the wiring loom.
My colour vision isn't so good so try to use one of the first two Very Happy
dynomatt
Regular

May 2004
Re: ST185 electronic speed sensor wiring Thu, 10 March 2005 21:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JDM GT4's had cables.

Auspec 205's had speed sensors.

That's the limit of my knowledge/direct experience.

Whatever is in between I'm not sure
dynomatt
Regular

May 2004
Re: ST185 electronic speed sensor wiring Thu, 10 March 2005 22:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toobs wrote on Thu, 10 March 2005 17:25

Never know when a 150hp shot of nitrous will blow your IC, intake and bonnet through the roof of the garage ay Very Happy

Now now smartypants...antilag rips apart exhaust manifolds like you wouldn't believe...so there. Very Happy

M

[Updated on: Thu, 10 March 2005 22:01]

Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: ST185 electronic speed sensor wiring Thu, 10 March 2005 22:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dynomatt wrote on Fri, 11 March 2005 09:00

Toobs wrote on Thu, 10 March 2005 17:25

Now now smartypants...antilag rips apart exhaust manifolds like you wouldn't believe...so there. Very Happy

M

I would have thought that the gaskets and turbo would blow well before the manifolds were affected when using anti-lag... either way all I have to say is:
"Danger to Teh Manifold!!!"
Very Happy
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: ST185 electronic speed sensor wiring Thu, 10 March 2005 22:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AFAIK - the Toyota standard (and what i have seen on all electronic speedo corollas) is:

# three Red wires to the speedo drive. Each with a different trace.
# V-W (purple/white) wire to the ECU is the SPD signal, which is generated from the speedometer itself.

Dunno if GT4s are different. I am also a complete lazy bum and forgot to dig up those books AGAIN matt..... i was too busy driving around in my new car Wink
I know i have written down exactly which wire carries which signal when i put an AE101 dash into my mates AE82 4a-gze car.
dynomatt
Regular

May 2004
Re: ST185 electronic speed sensor wiring Fri, 11 March 2005 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No notes Witzl?

THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: ST185 electronic speed sensor wiring Sat, 12 March 2005 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OH THE JOYS of moving house.... it just took me aroun 20 mins to find those notebooks...

Toyota Electronic Speedo Drive

Red-Blue (R-L) = IGN 12V +
Red-Yellow (R-Y) = Signal
Red-Green (R-G) = Earth

God i love these notebooks...
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: ST185 electronic speed sensor wiring Sat, 12 March 2005 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THE WITZL wrote on Sat, 12 March 2005 20:30

OH THE JOYS of moving house.... it just took me aroun 20 mins to find those notebooks...

Toyota Electronic Speedo Drive

Red-Blue (R-L) = IGN 12V +
Red-Yellow (R-Y) = Signal
Red-Green (R-G) = Earth

God i love these notebooks...

I don't think that is correct for the GT4's dudey.
The speed sensor plug at the gearbox on the ST205 loom has two blue wires and a red one.
And all of the manuals I have say B-W is the signal.
dynomatt
Regular

May 2004
Re: ST185 electronic speed sensor wiring Sun, 13 March 2005 22:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Great...seems I've got a basket case then.

My plug onto the speed sensor (I'm assuming that's what we are speaking about) has 3 wires...one brown with a blue trace (assume earth), one red with a blue trace and one black with a white trace.

Bizzaro...anyhoo, I couldn't get the Terratrip working off any of those...I tried all 27 combinations, and had no joy...I did fry the Terratrip, which was a $700 bonus Mad

Lucky I've got a spare.

Seems I'll have to spring for the proper senders.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Matt
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: ST185 electronic speed sensor wiring Sun, 13 March 2005 23:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dynomatt wrote on Mon, 14 March 2005 09:01

Great...seems I've got a basket case then.

My plug onto the speed sensor (I'm assuming that's what we are speaking about) has 3 wires...one brown with a blue trace (assume earth), one red with a blue trace and one black with a white trace.

Bizzaro...anyhoo, I couldn't get the Terratrip working off any of those...I tried all 27 combinations, and had no joy...I did fry the Terratrip, which was a $700 bonus Mad

Lucky I've got a spare.

Seems I'll have to spring for the proper senders.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Matt

Ouch! that sucks!
So long as its still plugged into the factory loom you should be able to test it with a multimeter.

-The pin with a postive voltage between the pin and earth must be the +ve (most likely 12V+ but could be 5V+)

-The pin with continuity (almost no resistance) between the pin and ground will be ground.

-By process of elimination the last pin must be your signal.
Otherwise you could test it with a CRO whilst using a drill or something to spin the shaft... the signal pin should produce a square wave signal at the same frequency as your drill (or whatever) is spinning.

-----------------------

From the Terratrip manual:
Speedometer probes – all models
Test the voltage across ‘OV’ and ‘P+’; this should be approximately 5 volts. Test the voltage across ‘OV’ and ‘P–’; the voltage should vary between approximately 0 volts and 0.45 volts when the speedometer cable is turned slowly.
Conclusions
If you have the correct probe voltage and the voltage rise then the probe is okay.
If you have the voltage but not the voltage rise then the probe is faulty.
If you have no voltage across the probe then the tripmeter is faulty.

-----------------------

Looking at this the terratrip expects a dedicated speed sensor which it will power itself using the P+ and 0V terminals on the terratrip.

I'm assuming that the terratrip does not like being fed +V voltage down the speed or ground lines.

If your lucky your terratrip may have protection diodes and or other protection circuitry on those lines... open it up and look for smoked components.
dynomatt
Regular

May 2004
Re: ST185 electronic speed sensor wiring Mon, 14 March 2005 00:48 Go to previous message
The terratrip produces its own 5v signal.

I suspect one of the combinations caused problems...probably hooking the 5v directly to the earth...seems the most likely candidate.

Who knows.

The only thing I can think must be that the 5v the Terratrip provides isn't enough to kick the Toyota sender into life...it must need 12v before it does anything.

I've got a mate who's a bit more electronically savvy than me, so I'll be bundling the Terratrip down to him and get it checked.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Targa Tops
Next Topic:Who knows anything about ford windsor 302's ?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 03:58:22 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0077519416809082 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.