Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 20 Valve Blacktop Timing Belt Tensioner Plz Help

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Keith K
Occasional Poster

August 2003
20 Valve Blacktop Timing Belt Tensioner Plz Help Mon, 14 March 2005 21:25 Go to next message
Firstly the car is a 1998 BZ-R 20-Valve Blacktop.

Yesterday I was driving a fairly long journey 5 hours round trip in total, and the car was running fine on the way down and on the way back. Until on the way home I noticed a slight noise from under the bonnet I pulled over to check the noise but it was gone and the engine was seemed to be ticking over fine.

So I came home and parked the car up for a couple of hours, then last night I wanted to go out in the car but when I started it up I got a very unhealthy sound from engine, as normal I was thinking the worst possible things I.E. Big-ends Valves Ect. I switched off the engine and got my brother who is a mechanic to take a look at it he said the noise was coming from inside the timing cover and not the engine, so today he took off the timing cover and the belt is very slack, he says that the timing belt tensioner is gone. Is he correct or could it be something else?

So what I really need is to know firstly is the timing belt tensioner from a blacktop 20-valve the same as one from a 16-valve 4 AG?
If it is can you please give me the part number for the 16-valve tensioner if not can you please give me the part number for the 20-valve tensioner?
Also is it true that if the worst had happened and the timing belt had snapped or skipped that the 20-valve has enough clearance to avoid damage or am I in deep trouble.

Thanks in advance for any help given on this matter.
  Send a private message to this user    
tobyoste
Occasional Poster

February 2004
Re: 20 Valve Blacktop Timing Belt Tensioner Plz Help Mon, 14 March 2005 21:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Look here for info on your engine:

http://www.onthenet.com.au/~paulp/Blacktop/bt4-em. pdf
Keith K
Occasional Poster

August 2003
Re: 20 Valve Blacktop Timing Belt Tensioner Plz Help Mon, 14 March 2005 21:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks very much for that, but please forgive me if I am jumping the gun here but I am still none the wiser if a 16-valve 4AG tensioner will do and what part number I need to order whether it be a 16-valve or a 20-valve tensioner.
Either way thank you for the speedy reply Nod
tobyoste
Occasional Poster

February 2004
Re: 20 Valve Blacktop Timing Belt Tensioner Plz Help Mon, 14 March 2005 22:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My silvertop 20v looked identical to the 16v 4AGE (and I can't remember for sure, but I think I used my 16v unit when I put mine in).

However, I remember comparing my tensioner with what is written in the blacktop manual (see the link) so I think the blacktop tensioner is different.

As far as part numbers are concerned try: http://www.mr2ownersclub.com/parts.asp#20vst1

There may be something here that helps.

Regards,

Toby
Keith K
Occasional Poster

August 2003
Re: 20 Valve Blacktop Timing Belt Tensioner Plz Help Tue, 15 March 2005 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tobyoste wrote on Mon, 14 March 2005 22:14

My silvertop 20v looked identical to the 16v 4AGE (and I can't remember for sure, but I think I used my 16v unit when I put mine in).

However, I remember comparing my tensioner with what is written in the blacktop manual (see the link) so I think the blacktop tensioner is different.

As far as part numbers are concerned try: http://www.mr2ownersclub.com/parts.asp#20vst1

There may be something here that helps.

Regards,

Toby

Thanks again Toby, but as you said yourself the silvertop 20V is different to the blacktop 20V and the link http://www.mr2ownersclub.com/parts.asp#20vst1 which gives great details is only for the silvertop unfortunately.

But thank you again for the reply
Nolan
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: 20 Valve Blacktop Timing Belt Tensioner Plz Help Tue, 15 March 2005 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Keith K wrote on Tue, 15 March 2005 08:25

Also is it true that if the worst had happened and the timing belt had snapped or skipped that the 20-valve has enough clearance to avoid damage or am I in deep trouble.

Thanks in advance for any help given on this matter.

im think..not 100% sure, but i think that the 20v engine is an interference design so if ur timing belt has snapped ur up shit creek,

[EDIT] - oops i was wrong 20v is non-interferance Razz MY BAD

CHEERS

NOLAN

[Updated on: Tue, 15 March 2005 09:08]

Keith K
Occasional Poster

August 2003
Re: 20 Valve Blacktop Timing Belt Tensioner Plz Help Tue, 15 March 2005 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The timing belt has not snapped thankfully, but Just to let you know I was kindly given the part number 13540-16010 for the blacktop timing belt tensioner from Rollamods off another forum.

[Updated on: Tue, 15 March 2005 08:48]

Nolan
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: 20 Valve Blacktop Timing Belt Tensioner Plz Help Tue, 15 March 2005 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Keith K wrote on Tue, 15 March 2005 19:48

The timing belt has not snapped thankfully, but Just to let you know I was kindly given the part number 13540-16010 for the blacktop timing belt tensioner from Rollamods off another forum.

i bet ur feeling very relieved Very Happy

NOLAN
Nolan
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: 20 Valve Blacktop Timing Belt Tensioner Plz Help Tue, 15 March 2005 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No Message Body

[Updated on: Tue, 15 March 2005 08:58]

Keith K
Occasional Poster

August 2003
Re: 20 Valve Blacktop Timing Belt Tensioner Plz Help Tue, 15 March 2005 09:00 Go to previous message
Nolan wrote on Tue, 15 March 2005 08:57

Nice one thanks for clearing that up and making me breath a hge sigh of relif.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:3sge conversion
Next Topic:Overheating on freeway
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 05:28:13 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0051648616790771 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.