Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » does my car need to be engineered??

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
lilcrash
Forums Junkie

April 2004
does my car need to be engineered?? Mon, 14 March 2005 21:48 Go to next message
i have got a 2tgeu in my ta22.

after comparing engine numbers i think that i may be able to get away with just giving the transport department my engine number and chassis number. i know of a few transport departments that dont have a shed thing to look ova the car so i could just drive it down there and get the plates and be done and on the road.

wat does everyone think??

once its on the road we can pull out the lift kit and drop in the king lows. does neone know if 195/50r15 tyres will scrub out with the one inch lowering job??

thanx
  Send a private message to this user    
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: does my car need to be engineered?? Tue, 15 March 2005 01:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This question was also answered recently.
If you have just changed the engine for one of the same capacity, no you don't need engineering. Just fill out an engine number change form. Call your local road authority.
boudan
Regular

June 2003
Re: does my car need to be engineered?? Tue, 15 March 2005 01:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Until you crash and or kill somebody then you will have to swap it all back before the authorities see it. Apart from that I think you'd get away with it easy.
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: does my car need to be engineered?? Tue, 15 March 2005 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you've added EFI to a non-EFI car - in Qld that usually means a mod plate to make it legit.

it might be same engine model and the same capacity, but you've changed the induction and fuel system to something the factory didn't offer for Aus-delivered TA's

personally i wouldn't bother - but if you went turbo then definately required.
lilcrash
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: does my car need to be engineered?? Tue, 15 March 2005 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it now has a mod plate Smile

laterdays
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: does my car need to be engineered?? Tue, 15 March 2005 04:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In WA - even with a fuel deliver system change to EFI, only an engine number change is required. Once you add forced induction, then you are over the pits.
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: does my car need to be engineered?? Tue, 15 March 2005 04:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think in Qld you need a safety inspection person or a DoT person to inspect the change of engine number.

safest way is to get your tame engineer/safety-certificate-provider to give you an inspection noting the new engine number the drove to a suburban DoT office.

when i put the Ra40 into rego, i drove it to the Rosalie office, took all the paperwork up to the office and they never looked at/under the car.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: does my car need to be engineered?? Tue, 15 March 2005 04:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ra23celica wrote on Tue, 15 March 2005 12:17

In WA - even with a fuel deliver system change to EFI, only an engine number change is required. Once you add forced induction, then you are over the pits.

Are you sure?
I would have thought that playing with the fuel system would be the same a playing with a braking system, and would require an engineer to look at it to make sure its all safe and legal.

Unless of course its all bolt in from a better model.
jackel
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: does my car need to be engineered?? Wed, 16 March 2005 00:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
look on the w.a. gov site

http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/licensing/myvehicle/safe/ modifications/index.html

doesn't have anything about fuel system
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: does my car need to be engineered?? Wed, 16 March 2005 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just because its not there, doesn't mean it doesn't have to be done.

But the opposite IS true, if it IS there, it has to be done.
bunkyT18
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: does my car need to be engineered?? Wed, 16 March 2005 01:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think it's safe to say that you can just fill in a change of engine number form in WA, provided the motor is the same capacity as the old one. Turbo or not. This excludes rotaries I am guessing. Is it that forced induction increases RAC hp level to where it's not acceptable compared to the old level?

I mean, you can work a NA motor until it easily doubles in HP, say 100kw at the wheels and that's ok to go, but if you have a turbo motor of the same capacity that puts out around 90kw's at the wheels then you gotta get engineered? Seems a bit suss. . .

[Updated on: Wed, 16 March 2005 01:19]

ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: does my car need to be engineered?? Wed, 16 March 2005 01:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Tue, 15 March 2005 15:59

ra23celica wrote on Tue, 15 March 2005 12:17

Are you sure?
Unless of course its all bolt in from a better model.

CrUZida,
Yes, I was sure up to 2 years ago when I submitted a pre-approval form to WA Vehicle Safety Branch for a 3S-GE into a RA23 and they wrote back to me and said that providing the motor is standard and all unleaded features are carried over, ie. cat convertor, then engineering not required. I played the bolt in from a better model card, just did not mention the combination of Celica parts (SA63 2S) et al that you need to get to get this combo to work.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: does my car need to be engineered?? Wed, 16 March 2005 01:33 Go to previous message
Interesting.
Either way, my remote fuel filter setup will be going on my engineering report.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ST184 engine possiblities...?
Next Topic:runnin temp for 1ggte
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 14 22:31:21 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.10530686378479 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.