Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » clutch help needed, organic over brass for 200+rwkws

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
DeViL rOlLa
Forums Junkie

May 2002
clutch help needed, organic over brass for 200+rwkws Thu, 10 March 2005 05:21 Go to next message
ok, so my supra clutch is gone. i know i need a clutch with a 1500-2000lbs pressure plate. what would be the major advantage of a organic over a brassie ? what is goin to last in my car, making over 200rwkw's ?
any help, direction or advice would be much appriciated.

steve
  Send a private message to this user    
DeViL rOlLa
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: clutch help needed, organic over brass for 200+rwkws Thu, 10 March 2005 05:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sprung centre, button.... i have no clue.
ta again
steve
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: clutch help needed, organic over brass for 200+rwkws Thu, 10 March 2005 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Orgasmic = easy to drive. Getting them to survive with the amount of torque that modern turbo 6 cylinders can produce (with the wick turned up a little) is not that easy.

Ceramic button = more bite, but requires a little more concentration when taking off from the lights. They also tend not to like being "ridden", as you will kill the service life.

Decision for you = up to you.

I drive with a ceramic button every day - my wife uses the car and it is fitted with a lightened flywheel (further complicating the matter) - we both find it fine (I can deal with occasionally stalling it).
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: clutch help needed, organic over brass for 200+rwkws Thu, 10 March 2005 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
brass button clutches dont tend to last too long with city driving either.

Its allways funny watching you mechanic trying to drive you car with a ceramic button clutch.

edit: go with a twin plate if ya can afford it

[Updated on: Thu, 10 March 2005 07:26]

DeViL rOlLa
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: clutch help needed, organic over brass for 200+rwkws Thu, 10 March 2005 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey jason, thanks for the reply, its a lil hard not to ride the clutch with a locked diff as well, u basically have to drag 1600 odd kgs by the clutch alone, matt is tryin to hook me up with a carbonic clutch, i have no clue what they r or ne info on me. got ne ? lol
4a, twin plate is abit out of my league ryt now, most of my drivin is inner city stuff, but i want to know when the heat is on the clutch will hold, the supra has been made bullet-proof, id prefer to keep it that way.
thanks for the replies guyz
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: clutch help needed, organic over brass for 200+rwkws Thu, 10 March 2005 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you do a lot of city driving (like commuting to cbd every day) a full-face organic clutch with big fuck-off pressure plate is the way to go. my supra (admittedly with slightly less torque) gets by on a full-face with big pressure plate, and I do not treat it kindly.
My next clutch will be a 5 or 6 button clutch, because I don't do a lot of peak hour driving and I want something a bit more aggressive that I'm less likely to cook.
DeViL rOlLa
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: clutch help needed, organic over brass for 200+rwkws Thu, 10 March 2005 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i dont do alot of bumper to bumper traffic driving, maybe once a week like that, most of it is nyt driving when i work. but i want a clutch that can put all the power to the real locked wheels and lay the black stuff down ( when its needed ). no exceptions. would an organic stand that ? no ne good places that do a good clutch, or make them ?
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: clutch help needed, organic over brass for 200+rwkws Thu, 10 March 2005 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
power means nothing to a clutch, its all about torque. my car is capable of over 200RWKW's but its only a 1.6L so its producing stuff all torque and the clutch has NEVER had a problem.

if i were you i would just go for the organic with the heavy duty pressure plate, like the sports tuff kits from Exedy. especially if you can change it yourself. id rather wear out clutches and replace them every coupla years than possibly damage driveline components, replace flywheels etc...
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: clutch help needed, organic over brass for 200+rwkws Thu, 10 March 2005 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the torque will rip the organic face off especially if abused exeedy will tell you that.
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: clutch help needed, organic over brass for 200+rwkws Thu, 10 March 2005 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
but how much torque are we talking about? that would have to be a shit load of torque.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: clutch help needed, organic over brass for 200+rwkws Thu, 10 March 2005 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im talking about launching your car from the limiter 7500rpm with 300hp exedy ran it thru some calculator and said that if i wanted to make the clutch last then i would need a 3 puck ceramic clutch and heavy duty pressure plate i said i wanted organic but they said that quite simply the clutch lining would literally rip off.

Of course the car does not make 200rwkw's atm so i can only go by what the manufacturer tells me. I would assume a supra would make alot more tourqe at 200rwkw.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: clutch help needed, organic over brass for 200+rwkws Thu, 10 March 2005 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have similar power/torque in a lighter car and my upgraded organic clutch (with a heavy duty pressure plate) didn't cope. I replaced the organic clutch plate with a 5-puck ceramic plate (sprung centre) and problem solved, it's never come close to slipping and it's been in the car for about 18 months now. People think ceramic clutches are difficult to live with but that's only true if you get something silly like a 3-puck solid centre.

Oh and I drive my car in bumper-to-bumper traffic all the time; like YelloRolla said you have to concentrate a bit more but if you have decent clutch control skills you won't have a problem.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: clutch help needed, organic over brass for 200+rwkws Thu, 10 March 2005 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i agree mine works perfectly in day to day traffic but i try not to slip it too much
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: clutch help needed, organic over brass for 200+rwkws Fri, 11 March 2005 05:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its true they arent difficult as many people think, you just have to be aware that (and im sure you guys are) that it adds extra strain on the rest of your driveline so they need to be upto the task, and the flywheel wears quickly if you ride the clutch, but for most people its a small price to pay.
DeViL rOlLa
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: clutch help needed, organic over brass for 200+rwkws Sun, 13 March 2005 00:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its very hard to to try and use the clutch ( ride it ) with a locker, cause at low speeds tryin to reverse into a carspot is a nytmare !!!!
so minimum im goin to need a 5 puck ceramic, would a 5 puck brassie do the same, be as effective with the same type of life ?
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: clutch help needed, organic over brass for 200+rwkws Sun, 13 March 2005 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
generally most button clutches are ceramic, people just call them brass cause they dont know better.
DeViL rOlLa
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: clutch help needed, organic over brass for 200+rwkws Mon, 14 March 2005 00:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what kinda price am i looking @ for a new 5 puck with 2000lbs ish pressure plate ? neone got ne contacts or know of ne clutch shops to ring up ?
many thanks guyz
Miss MR2
Regular

April 2004
Re: clutch help needed, organic over brass for 200+rwkws Mon, 14 March 2005 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
weve got a excedy 4puck ceramic in the aw11. feels really nice. took it a good fortnight or so to settle in. at first it was a bastard to drive very sharp and very harsh on the uptake but its bedded in really nicely. it now grabs quite hard when you want it to but is sensible enough to drive around town. and thats with a heavy duty pressure plate as well.
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: clutch help needed, organic over brass for 200+rwkws Mon, 14 March 2005 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DeViL rOlLa wrote on Mon, 14 March 2005 11:34

what kinda price am i looking @ for a new 5 puck with 2000lbs ish pressure plate ? neone got ne contacts or know of ne clutch shops to ring up ?
many thanks guyz

i have a contact through exedy, however i dont like to just get clutches from this guy without throwing something his way, thats why ill only supply a clutch if i can fit it also, that way i make a little and he makes a little. if you were planning on a shop doing it (not doing it yourself), get some quotes, and if you're serious ill get some prices and give you a quote, i do it at my work, but after my paid hours so i can do it for a pretty good price.
last clutch i did i think i charged $400 supplied and fitted for an exedy sports tuff, but i know the sports tuff ceramic is more expensive.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: clutch help needed, organic over brass for 200+rwkws Mon, 14 March 2005 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Check out the forum sponsors for a good clutch place. Expect to pay $400-500 for a high-clamp pressure plate and 5-puck ceramic clutch plate.
DeViL rOlLa
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: clutch help needed, organic over brass for 200+rwkws Mon, 14 March 2005 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i guessed id b up for alot more, waiting on a quote for a carbonic clutch, but if it doesnt come, i will have to do something quick. what area u in evo ?
and yeah norbie i myt give them a call, maybe they can answer or cure my fear of destroyin all clutches with my setup.
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: clutch help needed, organic over brass for 200+rwkws Tue, 15 March 2005 06:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
our workshop is in Denham Court, on the outer edge of liverpool. worst case i can atleast get a clutch for trade price, and install for a good price after hours.
mk1sc
Regular

March 2004
Re: clutch help needed, organic over brass for 200+rwkws Tue, 15 March 2005 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EVOSTi wrote on Tue, 15 March 2005 17:24

our workshop is in Denham Court, on the outer edge of liverpool. worst case i can atleast get a clutch for trade price, and install for a good price after hours.

off topic but damn, denham court.... very nice area with massive houses. should see some of the driveways on these houses can be used as a dragstrip. probably fit a racecourse at the backyard aswell

one regular customer i deliver to is a holden nut, has like a workshop in his garage with hoist benches tools etc... always got some new HSVs parked outside and working on oldskool holden in the garage
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: clutch help needed, organic over brass for 200+rwkws Wed, 16 March 2005 06:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah denham court is a real expensive area, i dont live there, just work there. there are some DAMN nice places there, we have alot of customers. you know when its school holidays in denham court cause every property has kids zipping around on trail bikes Confused
DeViL rOlLa
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: clutch help needed, organic over brass for 200+rwkws Tue, 22 March 2005 01:40 Go to previous message
so the final post.
got the new clutch made by Carters in Maitland. Top guyz,
they machined my fly and pressure plate, put new thrust bearings in, and the new buttons they put on my clutch were atleast 10-15% bigger than the stock 1's. the buttons have a higher carbon to metal ratio and that is a major help when they heat up, as when u try and reverse a bus like mine with a locker. hopefully it will be installed tonyt and i can give you all a review on the feel and performance.
ta for all the advice and help toy-modders.
ta
steve
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Toyota Axels
Next Topic:do bigger tyres = slower or faster than actual speedo readings?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 11 09:09:09 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0061440467834473 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.