Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Install of shift light in a Sprinter (4ac)

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Julz01
Regular

December 2004
Install of shift light in a Sprinter (4ac) Tue, 15 March 2005 11:54 Go to next message

Hey all

Just wondering if anyone has done this before as Im looking at get a gizzmo 2 stage shift light and was just wondering how the installastion would work, Ive been told that I connect it straight to the tacho pulse or something like that.

Help would be much appreceated and I already did a search and it didn't turn up much.

thanks
Julian
  Send a private message to this user    
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Install of shift light in a Sprinter (4ac) Tue, 15 March 2005 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I didn't think a 4AC culd be revved high enough to need one ... ?
Callifo
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Install of shift light in a Sprinter (4ac) Tue, 15 March 2005 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And if it could, your 'expert' shifting aint going to beat any* car on the road.

*possibly except really old single cam excels
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
wtf is a jabber? a punch line?
Re: Install of shift light in a Sprinter (4ac) Tue, 15 March 2005 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wouldnt it be the same as anyother tacho installation?
Julz01
Regular

December 2004
Re: Install of shift light in a Sprinter (4ac) Tue, 15 March 2005 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok have to look into that thanks leo
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Install of shift light in a Sprinter (4ac) Tue, 15 March 2005 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's it, I'm getting rid of my sprinter.

Someone PLEASE suggest for me a car that won't make me feel like such an idiot?
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: Install of shift light in a Sprinter (4ac) Tue, 15 March 2005 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Heh heh heh Surprised
Julz01
Regular

December 2004
Re: Install of shift light in a Sprinter (4ac) Tue, 15 March 2005 14:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok if you dont have any advice please dont say anything at all, im just asking for some future wiring help im not asking your opinion on the shift light, as for wanting to put a shift light in is because at the moment I can only do a couple bull shit mods cause Im not able to put a 4age in as I dont I am not allowed to atm and can only do it untill I get my P's.

Now mrshin
If you have any mods that I could do that I wouldnt require the 4age engine please feel free to give me some ideas, but if you dont try not to make smart ass comments about others.
peeack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2004
Re: Install of shift light in a Sprinter (4ac) Wed, 16 March 2005 00:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
www.carsales.com.au

Best mod you could do, put it in there? Very Happy

I kid, I kid.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Install of shift light in a Sprinter (4ac) Wed, 16 March 2005 00:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrshin wrote on Wed, 16 March 2005 00:18

A Hyundai Excel with a 3' high wing?
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: Install of shift light in a Sprinter (4ac) Wed, 16 March 2005 00:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toobs wrote on Wed, 16 March 2005 11:32

mrshin wrote on Wed, 16 March 2005 00:18

A Hyundai Excel with a 3' high wing?

And a full rally bodykit.

and the number plate SIKBRO Surprised

Sorry, I'll leave this thread alone now.
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Install of shift light in a Sprinter (4ac) Wed, 16 March 2005 03:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Okely dokely.

You can install a monster Tacho. Most of them already have shift lights so they are easy to setup.

Other Mods Rex would suggest for YOU would be:

- Boost Gauge
- 20mm wheel spacers to make the stock wheels fill the guards
- Chop coil off the springs for lowness
- Sports wheel and racing seat covers
- Air horn
- Move number plate to one side of bumper

Rex

PS Rex stands by Shinny

[Updated on: Wed, 16 March 2005 03:15]

river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Install of shift light in a Sprinter (4ac) Wed, 16 March 2005 04:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Mate, I don't want to rain on your parade, but really, a shift-light is very unnecessary if you know your car and are competent driving a manual gearbox.

You should be able to tell by the sound of the engine, the speed you're going and the general feel of the car when it is necessary to change the gears. Furthermore, the light comes on at max power revs and you won't be screaming the engine at those revs each time you need to change gear, unless you're in a drag.

I'm not saying this to piss you off or to have a go at you, but I'm sure there's better things you can blow your money on (for your car) than a light that tells you when to do something that you already know how to do. Just a stock tacho is more than adequate to determine engine speed - assuming your car doesn't have one.

seeyuzz
river
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Install of shift light in a Sprinter (4ac) Wed, 16 March 2005 04:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
like diss..... ?

http://www.eldorenracing.com/tach1-lg.jpg
dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Install of shift light in a Sprinter (4ac) Wed, 16 March 2005 04:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what river said ^^ Cool
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Install of shift light in a Sprinter (4ac) Wed, 16 March 2005 04:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I brought my whole 4age engine for the same price as a Autometer tacho & shift light Rolling Eyes

Now which would i prefer... hmmm.. damn should have gone with the shift light I reckon! Shocked

[Updated on: Wed, 16 March 2005 04:39]

dcleyne
Regular

November 2003
Re: Install of shift light in a Sprinter (4ac) Wed, 16 March 2005 05:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I own a 4ac powered Sprinter, and frankly, knowing how long the motor takes to get to redline, having a shift light like that one would create an effect more like the sun coming up. It'd take 10 minutes for the light to be fully on...

Take River's advice!

Cheers,
Dan
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Install of shift light in a Sprinter (4ac) Wed, 16 March 2005 05:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hope this shift light is not going onto an auto 4AC.....
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Install of shift light in a Sprinter (4ac) Wed, 16 March 2005 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Exactly - I bought a 4AG for an astounding $400 with ECU, and it's still going much stronger than expected.

Rex, while I appreciate the support, you mustn't make fun of air horns - they're an essential part of Kenworth daily life (frightening the piss (and frequently other excretial matter!) out of cattle, deer, antelopes and alpacas that stray onto the highway)

Shift lights DO serve a purpose on many vehicles - they replace the often lacking levels of sunshine exposure, as well as drawing attention to silky white pants. All you have to do is set it to come on at 2500rpm so that it's actually useful(?) on your VN, I mean, sorry, 4AC.

How do you connect it? Should be three wires - one goes to earth, one to power (ignition switched) and one to coil - (which already goes to the tacho, black wire with orange tracer)

How to make a 4AC go harder? Put it on LPG, make sure it's always above the temperature required to brew a pot of Bushell's, and abuse it. I did that with mine, and it REFUSED to blow a head gasket. I had to give it away to someone else afterwards to make sure it could continue such excellent service... (Frighteningly enough, you CAN actually get a few different grinds of cam for them!)

There, that helpful enough?
Julz01
Regular

December 2004
Re: Install of shift light in a Sprinter (4ac) Wed, 16 March 2005 06:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks river you have made a good point and changed my mind, I dont need a shift light, I guess I just got caught up in the moment of going down to the shop and looking at them, I think the only thing that I was really considered to put one in was for the rice factor, I guess ill just have to find some thing else to get instead.
Julz01
Regular

December 2004
Re: Install of shift light in a Sprinter (4ac) Wed, 16 March 2005 06:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just saw the second post mrskin so where did you get a 4age for that much most of the ones that I have seen are $700+, If I could get one for $400 I would buy it
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Install of shift light in a Sprinter (4ac) Wed, 16 March 2005 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rex_Kelway wrote on Wed, 16 March 2005 14:14

- Move number plate to one side of bumper

uh ohh... i think im in trouble now Cool
peeack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2004
Re: Install of shift light in a Sprinter (4ac) Wed, 16 March 2005 15:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In all serious mate, save your pennies. Look at upgrading suspension or something like that first, if you don't want to tackle an engine swap straight away. Or upgrade the rear breaks to disc instead of drums. Many other worthwhile things you could be spending your money on, more important things.
4ageeza
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: Install of shift light in a Sprinter (4ac) Wed, 16 March 2005 23:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bwahahaha this thread is GOLD~!

GREAT, CHEAP MOD TO 4AC AE86 - lock your diff and drive your car in the wet or the dirt Wink

[Updated on: Wed, 16 March 2005 23:07]

TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Install of shift light in a Sprinter (4ac) Wed, 06 April 2005 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I tried to blow up a 4ac on the weekend, sat it in the driveway in neutral and buried the accelerator, it already had a blown headgasket, but the multimeter tacho showed 7560 rpm Very Happy

Didn't need a shift light though, and you definately wouldn't see the sunrise, cause past 7000rpm it was spewing that much oil onto the windscreen from the valve cover breather (no bonnet) that you would have known it was time to change cogs Razz Laughing Laughing Laughing
4ageeza
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: Install of shift light in a Sprinter (4ac) Wed, 06 April 2005 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TE72_Turbo wrote on Wed, 06 April 2005 21:43

I tried to blow up a 4ac on the weekend, sat it in the driveway in neutral and buried the accelerator, it already had a blown headgasket, but the multimeter tacho showed 7560 rpm Very Happy

Didn't need a shift light though, and you definately wouldn't see the sunrise, cause past 7000rpm it was spewing that much oil onto the windscreen from the valve cover breather (no bonnet) that you would have known it was time to change cogs Razz Laughing Laughing Laughing

lol.

Last year for we had our annual engine endutrance test at uni, and I used a 4AC Razz

We ran the motor on the ground, no water...very little oil, on full throttle. The thing ran from dead cold on full throttle for 4mins and 10 seconds before it shat itself and seized. Everyone was very impressed. After 2 mins it spat out every bit of oil and ran making a fuckload of smoke for the remaining 2. Apparently it was some uni record, and was the first time a toyota motor was used for the endurance test!

I want to try it this year with a 4AGE, but unlike the 4AC, I will actaully have to pay for it :s
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: Install of shift light in a Sprinter (4ac) Wed, 06 April 2005 14:23 Go to previous message
Callifo wrote on Tue, 15 March 2005 23:16

And if it could, your 'expert' shifting aint going to beat any* car on the road.

*possibly except really old single cam excels

awww let him have his rice would you! Laughing
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:hilux conversion from petrol to diesel
Next Topic:3SGTE into an ST162?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 12:23:26 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0059800148010254 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.