Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » who dreams with smell?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

who dreams with smell? Wed, 27 November 2002 12:23 Go to next message
those who dream in colour are more creative.

who out there dreams with smells? Had a dream a few nights ago with very vivid smells, which I've never had, or heard of, before.
  Send a private message to this user    
rollaboy
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: who dreams with smell? Wed, 27 November 2002 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have never dreamn't with colour or smell. Whats that make me Crying or Very Sad
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: who dreams with smell? Wed, 27 November 2002 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
un-creative and un-interesting Razz
it's not proven that people who dream in colour are more creative, it's just a strong theory amongst people into dream research (take it from the guy who's done 4 years of psychology).

if it makes you feel better, most people dream in black & white
rollaboy
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: who dreams with smell? Wed, 27 November 2002 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hehehe that makes me feel better.
Another question (dont mean to steal the thread) what do u toymodders dream about??? e.g. The next engine conversion etc??
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: who dreams with smell? Wed, 27 November 2002 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've had dreams about escaping cops in my car before.
Dream about various girls who've caught my fancy ... most of them i forget a few minutes after I wake up, so I cant put them down here
rollaboy
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: who dreams with smell? Wed, 27 November 2002 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well i'm off for some dreaming action now...see if i cant dream about cars and chicks and combining them together some how. Very Happy
froodogs
Regular

October 2002
Re: who dreams with smell? Wed, 27 November 2002 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, i dream with all my senses intact... some people tell me they only dream images, or only sounds, or only 'concepts'... it's all very odd to me. dreams for me are just like real life... the only way i can tell they're not is because there's no consistency to my dreams, but there is to my awake state.

some chinese philosopher (forget his name) once (supposedly) contemplated a dream he had where he was a butterfly, and from then on was constantly wondering whether he was a human who dreamed he was a butterfly or a butterfly dreaming of being human.

on a similar note, the other night after i came off a 12 hour shift at work, the girlfriend and i were 'getting busy' and i kept having concepts moving through my head that what i was doing had nothing to do with her, and that i was rebuilding engines, or adjusting brakes, and all sorts of other wack shit.
BoB_JonEz
Regular

August 2002

Re: who dreams with smell? Wed, 27 November 2002 17:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
loss, you are a sad sad boy

heh

I don't dream at all, I have no imagination and don't sleep enough. a mixture of day, arvo and night shifts that range from 8-16hours between 2 jobs and includes working days off tends to mess up any sleeping patterns one may have had during the good times (living at home going to school)

When I do sleep I think I'm too knackered to do anything.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: who dreams with smell? Wed, 27 November 2002 18:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you stll dream bob, you just dont remember it when you wake up

froodogs: that's correct, although the guy's name eludes me as well.

[Updated on: Wed, 27 November 2002 18:53]

froodogs
Regular

October 2002
Re: who dreams with smell? Wed, 27 November 2002 21:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven's right... (i think)

i remember seeing something on the television (universal source of all knowledge) about how if you have REM sleep, then you definitely dream, even if you don't remember it in the morning, and those who don't get REM sleep in their normal sleeping pattern go Razz

regarding me being a sad boy... Embarassed

i'm sure you know what it's like to be on an overnight shift and come home just wanting to sleep and not knowing WHAT's going on...

pure madness.
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: who dreams with smell? Thu, 28 November 2002 02:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven is spot on.

alot of people don't remember their dreams.

indeed if you don't get to REM state or alpha brainwave pattern (i think) you go fruity.

they've done this purposely to people - sleep deprevation - where they let the person rest but not go all the way down to REM - they go fruity as a result...
Helmann
Regular

July 2002
Re: who dreams with smell? Thu, 28 November 2002 02:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I thought it was Dreaming ABOUT a colour that sugest u are more creative.
Not just dreaming in color.
Might have heard wrong tho.
So what do wet dreams mean????

Sorry had to put that one in.
manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: who dreams with smell? Thu, 28 November 2002 02:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Helmann wrote on Thu, 28 November 2002 13:39

So what do wet dreams mean????

HAH

u beat Shane to it
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: who dreams with smell? Thu, 28 November 2002 04:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sleep dep is actually not a problem. you can still complete simple tasks with no reduction in ability. it's complex tasks that get all screwed up (or it might be the other way around.. has been 2 and a hlaf years since I studied it)

wet dreams... we'll leave that to freud to explain Smile (who was a coke addict and falsified evidence by the way)
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: who dreams with smell? Thu, 28 November 2002 04:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and I'm almost certain it's dreaming *in* colour that means you're more creative... supposedly anyhow
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon3.gif  Re: who dreams with smell? Thu, 28 November 2002 05:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grega wrote on Thu, 28 November 2002 13:29

they've done this purposely to people - sleep deprevation - where they let the person rest but not go all the way down to REM - they go fruity as a result...

Although there's a drug out there that lets you function without sleep. No loss in performance or even tiredness has been reported...

Can't remember the exact drug (it's used for something else) but it's becoming quite a problem with people abusing it and taking it so that they don't have to sleep...

My gf topped her class and got USyd's University Medal in psychology... Very Happy
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: who dreams with smell? Thu, 28 November 2002 05:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have dreamt that i've been hit by a truck, and that felt bloody weird... same as that one where i fell off a giant building and hit the ground.
And yes was all in colour. Surprised

froodogs.... u said before about how you were "getting busy" with your girl and your mind was totoally somewhere else- well i have similar experiences before, with my ex. Esp right around uni exam times.... say for instance after my electronics exam, was getting rather busy, and all i had happeneing in my brain was transistor models and nodal analysis, and even subcounciously told her about RC cricuits. damn it was funny Laughing
P.S. never has happened with my mew girlie Very Happy
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: who dreams with smell? Thu, 28 November 2002 06:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
whitzl.. hahaha
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: who dreams with smell? Thu, 28 November 2002 06:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vitamin B12 actually increases the vividness of colour in dreams, so if you lack some colour, take a hit. Smile
But you build up a tolerance to it, so you have to take more & more for it to work.

I've mentioned my Avalon dream before, where I was hammering around in a worked (and RWD) Avalon, but has anyone had a dream & realised they were dreaming?
I did a couple of times, & then decided hey, if this is a dream, I can do anything I want! Now that was a good dream! Very Happy
Also, after having the same falling down a well or a pit dream a couple of times & wakeing with a fright, I decided bugger it, I'm gonna stay asleep & keep falling and find out what's at the bottom.

Well, there wasn't much there, just a flat bottom, I didn't hit with a thud or anything. It was quite dissappointing.

Or there's the time I came across a huge snake that had it's head raised up looking me in the eyes, & instead of being scared & running away I decided to be friendly, & said hello.
The snake says to me, "You're me!" and the next thing I knew I was a snake!

Sometimes I'm glad I don't remember many dreams! Rolling Eyes

[Updated on: Thu, 28 November 2002 06:50]

SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
icon10.gif  Re: who dreams with smell? Thu, 28 November 2002 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LOL @ NARK.....

I think you are talking about....hmmmmmm AMPHETAMINES,
it lets me and a who lotta other peeps function without sleep!

Once again kids be safe if using such substances, and please take my signature not too seriously, I'm not a .......

"COOKIE MONSTER"

Adrian!
froodogs
Regular

October 2002
Re: who dreams with smell? Thu, 28 November 2002 07:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'd say wet dreams probably mean you're not getting any.

re: getting busy and mind elsewhere:

well, i figure i'd just come out of 12 hours of surfing the web at work waiting for people to call, reading all about engines and cars... so it's not surprising that in a state of autopilot (as many are when shenanigans ensue), it all became a bit messed up. wild.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: who dreams with smell? Thu, 28 November 2002 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've realised I was dreaming before. decided to go for a fly around. it was awesome flying around and such.

sometimes I like to program my dreams before I go to bed.. make sure I'm thinking of something before I sleep, and chances are I'll have a dream aobut it (usually women... what can I say, I'm single)
Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: who dreams with smell? Thu, 28 November 2002 07:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can't say I dream with smells. But I always dream in colour.

My greatest latest dream was where I was a squadron leader of a band of soliders who had crash landed on some planet and were on a mission to discover the place, and we all had laser rifles, and damn I was an excellent sharp shooter. Never missed the things trying to kill us.

I'm playing too many games lately since all my TAFE work is finished for the year. Razz

Also, I dunno if anyone else has noticed, but, in my dreams, there seems to be no physical limits. I never get tired, and can do basically anything. Most of the time it's like I have no body to slow me down. Pretty cool though.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: who dreams with smell? Thu, 28 November 2002 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
for me it depends.
sometime in a dream (nightmare) I feel as though I've got lead weights all over my body. not exactly tired, but moving really really slowly even though I'm putting all my effort into it. other times I'm fast as, non stop running.

and after 40 hours straight of counterstrike, I had some pretty awesome dreams about being a soldier too Smile
SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
icon9.gif  Re: who dreams with smell? Thu, 28 November 2002 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I never have pleasant dreams.......only nightmares!!

This has been going on since I was about 9-10 years old!

The last nightmare I had was 2 nights ago. I'll be as brief as possible,

I go to catch a train, but see this chick from work, and I decided not to get on as within the dream I had a "flash/vision, couldn't make out what I was seeing" when I noticed her getting on the train. So I wait for the next one, I board the train, it travels for a few km, then the lights cut out, and the train grinds to a holt, I have another vision and am able to see that some people, a gang perhaps, put shopping trollies inside small tunnel that the other train was traveling in.

Anyway I scramble out and see that the other train has derailed due to the trollies. Then all I see is dead bodies all perfectly lined up in about 3-4 rows and these rows go on for about 150-200 meters. I start running looking at all the people, to see if I can help anyone (I'm a nurse, hehe Smile ), but they are all dead. There is flesh all over the ground, and large chunks of skin peeling off the people and covering the ground.
As I am running down these rows, the flesh and skin of these people is getting ground up under my ADIDAS sneakers, and its like rolling up into like hundreds of little "furballs" of flesha & skin. Then at the end of the rows of dead people, there is this warehouse, which I thought was a hangar for the trains. I walk in and it is like a lil market place, but everyone is selling sushi! I remember saying "WHAT DA F#%@ U MOTHERF#$%#$ DOING??" Then I realise they are making sushi with the "flesh and skin furballs" that had been rolling up under my addies!

All my dreams are as F#%$%# up as this!

Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: who dreams with smell? Thu, 28 November 2002 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can't remember my dreams at all... It feels wierd that everyone else, or almost everyone, can remember their's but I can never remember mine... I dunno...

And I have also "been busy" and thinking of other stuff...
Kinds makes you remember that Lamborghini Diablo scene from 'Gone In Sixty Seconds' doesn't it???

[Updated on: Thu, 28 November 2002 09:11]

draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: who dreams with smell? Thu, 28 November 2002 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
speedcore.. dude.. go visit a shrink! if it bothers you that is... i know gross stuff like that doesn't bother me.

ben.. stacks of people don't remember their dreams, it's not unusuial at all. even the people that do remember their dreams are usually only remembering a small fraction of them.

I actually remember a lot of them, for the first minute or so after waking up. if it's particularly interesting or enlihgtening, then I'll go write it down before i forget. otherwise, only the good ones stick in my mind.
Helmann
Regular

July 2002
Re: who dreams with smell? Thu, 28 November 2002 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have had some weird dreams
1 dreamt i was a ghost at my own funeral. Died in my car on this one corner near my place. I never drive there anymore (just in case). After the funeral i got to say good bye to all my close family. They could see me as a ghost but noone else could.
2 Had a dream in which i was having a sleep. While i was sleeping in the dream i had another dream that i was meditating. Which is kinda like dreaming. So i was meditating in a dream within a dream
Funky shit it ya ask me.
I always remember dreams that seam to mean something to me.
And i nearly always dream in colour.

Also had a dream About the colour red once. Was weird was just like i was exploring a red coloured ocean. Very hard to explain.

Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: who dreams with smell? Thu, 28 November 2002 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
remember you have control over your dreams - if you don't like whats going on, sorta say to yourself, this sucks, this is shit ect and turn it into something that you'll enjoy.

lucid dreaming is alot of fun and very rewarding.

some people say that dreams are the result of the mind letting off steam remember we all have different things in our subconscious that we've taken in at some stage, we need to deal with it in some way or another i think dreams are like the minds way of doing this without you harbouring pent up stress/anger and going nuts...

meditation is a fantastic way of relaxing and getting some decent rest - sorta tops up the old sleep bank if you don't think you're getting enough and helps you think a little clearer.

then again if you're really after a buzz try astral projection.
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: who dreams with smell? Thu, 28 November 2002 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dream in colour and remember almost everything...mmm scary!

the worst dreams is where i have dreamt:

1) i have slept in past my uni exam
2) parents bought me some wicked present
3) i think i am falling out of bed, about to get hit by something or general physical harm

in situation 1) i have woken up in the morning and freaked thinking i have actually missed an exam - now thats spooky

situation 2) gone out to double check if the present actually existed to seperate dream from reality

situation 3) i have some sort of a spasm and wake up right then and there and realise im in bed and thank god that i really wasnt falling off a roof or out of bed etc

why do i scare myself like so!?

and my dream recollection is really also quite scary Rolling Eyes
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: who dreams with smell? Thu, 28 November 2002 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ytou can only remmeber you have control over your dreams if you're waware it's a dream... in almost all of them people aren't aware it's a dream

although those ones are usually the best Smile
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: who dreams with smell? Thu, 28 November 2002 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and yeah, sometimes dreams are bits of events from your day extrapolated upon.
other times it's the unconscious breaking through into the conscious, in small ways... that's where the fantasies and nightmares usually come from.

of course nobody really knows, people just guess (unless it's the obvious ones of the days events being replayed in some twised form.
Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: who dreams with smell? Thu, 28 November 2002 22:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSupra wrote on Thu, 28 November 2002 21:23

situation 3) i have some sort of a spasm and wake up right then and there and realise im in bed and thank god that i really wasnt falling off a roof or out of bed etc

Man I hate that.

My body spasms me awake when I'm just starting to get to the dream state.

I think it's my body waking me up because I had stopped breathing.

Apparently it's a common thing to stop breathing several times during sleep.

It only happens to me when I'm on my back. And I always just hear myself finishing snoring too. Sometimes it feels like my snoring has woken me up. Smile

Quote:

remember you have control over your dreams - if you don't like whats going on, sorta say to yourself, this sucks, this is shit ect and turn it into something that you'll enjoy.

I never seemed to master that. Sad

Quote:

Died in my car on this one corner near my place.

Mate, I can't think of a better way to go. Dying along with my toyota. Smile The only thing that would suck was if it was due to a POS ford or soccermum causing the crash.
Malicia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: who dreams with smell? Fri, 29 November 2002 00:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I always get some whacked out dreams after starting a new job,
Latest job is the worst I come home to bed tired as a dog, then I get a dream with all my senses intake just like real life. Some times It get VERY hard to tell if it was real or not.

Quote:

but has anyone had a dream & realised they were dreaming?
I did a couple of times, & then decided hey, if this is a dream, I can do anything I want! Now that was a good dream!

I saw a documentary on these types of dreams b4, Scientists were trying to replicate and study them, They hooked people up to a computer and when the subject was dreaming they played a beeping sound or a voice track to the subject who was previously told over and over that if you hear this sound you are dreaming and try take over your dream it was pretty good doco.

Ever since then if I'm dreaming I try but only manage to do it sometimes but when you do its good!!

and after 40 hours straight of counterstrike, I had some pretty awesome dreams about being a soldier too [/quote]

Laughing Laughing Laughing Been there!!!

Helmann
Regular

July 2002
Re: who dreams with smell? Fri, 29 November 2002 02:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Some dreams are clues too.
Every time i move house, 3 months before i have a dream that i am moving.
Works every time and never fails.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: who dreams with smell? Fri, 29 November 2002 04:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've had that happen before... wake up and suddenly take a huge breath 'cause I hadn't breathed for a while.

I hate waking up with dramps in my legs/.toes. used to happen to me a,ll the time, but not as much anymore.

my friends have a bet running as to how I'm going to kill myself in my supra, and how long it'll take.

current betting is under 3 mionths, and either ibnto a tree, rolled off a cliff, or hitting another car wiyth a crap driver behind the wheel
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: who dreams with smell? Fri, 29 November 2002 04:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that's another theory.. that they're predictive.
comes from a collective unconscious. (also explaions dreams about places you've never been before).
a little bit more radical, but plausible (i guess)
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon2.gif  Re: who dreams with smell? Sun, 01 December 2002 22:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SPEEDCORE wrote on Thu, 28 November 2002 17:59

LOL @ NARK.....

I think you are talking about....hmmmmmm AMPHETAMINES,
it lets me and a who lotta other peeps function without sleep!

Without adverse effects? Razz

The drug I'm talking about is a drug used for sufferers of narcolepsy.
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: who dreams with smell? Sat, 07 December 2002 06:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Coupla things:

I think you only remember a dream if you wake up in it.

Also, i remember my grade 12 psyc teacher told me that if you keep a notebook next to your bed, and jot down whatever you can remember when you wake up - anything - and do it everyday, you will be able to remember more and more about your dreams. I think after 2 weeks you're supposed to be able to really remember them. If you stop writing down stuff, you loose the abailit again. This is only roughly what i remember from 4+ years ago, i never tried it.

BTW it never occured to me that you could dream in black&white. i don't think I do. Does that mean dreams are like black & white movies for a lot of people?
Esteban
Regular

June 2002
Re: who dreams with smell? Sun, 08 December 2002 08:51 Go to previous message
Ive never noticed whether or not I dream in colour. Usually I remember my dreams with decaying clarity throughout the morning. If I think about them over breakfast, I can put details to events and pick them to pieces etc ... see how stoopid they are.

If I dont think about my dream soon after waking (ie i had something important to do, like get to work ...) then they pop into my head during the morning if I fall idle. Often I find myself laughing for that very reason Smile

And yeah, physical reactions are all too common for me. :/ Smile
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:AE92 GZE conversion
Next Topic:our cars on the cover of the latest ZOOM magazine.
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 12 12:45:31 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0058619976043701 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.