Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic
AuthorTopic
2L8IV1
Regular

March 2005

2JZGTE RA60 conversion Tue, 15 March 2005 04:29 Go to next message
Does anyone in SOUTH AUSTRALIA now anyone that can perform everything needed to do this conversion i hate the stock 21-RC engine and also does anyone know where i can get a short shifter
and 330mm disc rotors with calipers to fit my RA60 celica also some coil over suspension
any reply is appreciated Very Happy
  Send a private message to this user  
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2JZGTE RA60 conversion Tue, 15 March 2005 04:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how much do u have to spend?
2L8IV1
Regular

March 2005

Re: 2JZGTE RA60 conversion Tue, 15 March 2005 04:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
none at the moment as i lost my job due to a needing an operation i just thought i would get all the information before i buy one of these enginse
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 2JZGTE RA60 conversion Tue, 15 March 2005 05:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do you plan to register it?
Or are you building a dedicated drag machine? coz thats about all it will be worth.
2L8IV1
Regular

March 2005

Re: 2JZGTE RA60 conversion Tue, 15 March 2005 05:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
register it and use it as a drift pig and show n shine car and i rang regency <-(dont know how to spell it)said it is leagal as long as i dont have to move the firewall back anymore than an inch
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 2JZGTE RA60 conversion Tue, 15 March 2005 05:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would suggest the following order of jobs ;

1. Fill out the required paperwork (Transport SA) to see if you can even get it engineered/recieve approval (read unlikely).
2. Contact an engineer that will certify the work (list can be obtained from Regency as to who are able to do the job).
3. Faint at the cost (expect to pay $2,000 + for engineering if they allow it, on top of the conversion itself). I am using Doug Potts, and last time I checked he charges $120.hour + GST.
4. Realise that what you have proposed is over the top and silly.
5. Start saving over $10k if it is legal (as that is what it will cost as an absolute minimum)
6. Get a job.
7. Do steps 1 - 6 for a more suitabble engine like a 1G-GTE or 3S-GTE (modify step 5 to save about $6k +)

As for who to do the work, no idea, as I do 99% of my stuff myself, as even I don't get paid enough to pay someone else $70+ /hour to do the work I can do.

Cheers

Michael B
2L8IV1
Regular

March 2005

Re: 2JZGTE RA60 conversion Tue, 15 March 2005 05:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for the reply but i dont see it as over the top but even so would it be easier to swap it for a 7MGTE
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 2JZGTE RA60 conversion Tue, 15 March 2005 05:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it's doable it says so in the tech docs

It will cost an amazing amount of money that you won't get back
but i saw do it !
one day i'm going to drop a 1uz in an sa63
i don't know if it will be legal i might just keep it as a track car but it would be worth it to me.

also put some RA65/Sa63 headlights on it for looks
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 2JZGTE RA60 conversion Tue, 15 March 2005 05:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2L8IV1 wrote on Tue, 15 March 2005 15:43

thanks for the reply but i dont see it as over the top but even so would it be easier to swap it for a 7MGTE

If you don't think a 3 litre TT in an RA60 is overkill, then by all means, go for it. Freak

As mentioned, it would be an insane waste of money, and you could ceasily come up with a better balanced car for less, but it is your money Rolling Eyes
2L8IV1
Regular

March 2005

Re: 2JZGTE RA60 conversion Tue, 15 March 2005 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah even if i have it as a track car it would be great and i argree it would look alot better with ra65 lights never thought of that before Very Happy but gona do that next fortnight thanks for that
2L8IV1
Regular

March 2005

Re: 2JZGTE RA60 conversion Tue, 15 March 2005 05:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes it is alot of money which is why i am now thinking of a 7MGTE and converting it to twin turbo (Still a S#%T load of money thow)
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 2JZGTE RA60 conversion Tue, 15 March 2005 05:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2L8IV1 wrote on Tue, 15 March 2005 16:05

yes it is alot of money which is why i am now thinking of a 7MGTE and converting it to twin turbo (Still a S#%T load of money thow)

Why TT ? What is the point ?

hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: 2JZGTE RA60 conversion Tue, 15 March 2005 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oMgG j0o R 2 1337 !

while youre at it, why not show me how to drop a 2JZGTE into my Echo!! Laughing

Firstly -

No. Not in a RA6X, youve gotta be kidding. Take a look at the amount of work Norbie has done on his MA61 on suspension and brakes alone. And thats in a car thats already supposed to be sports tuned. Then double that work for the RA6X. Not to mention the RA6X looks shit and everyone i seem to know with one, wants to get rid of it and buy a MA61..

Secondly -

If you have to move the firewall back, forget it.

Thirdly -

Youre using it as a drift pig, which once again brings me back to suspension and brakes. Oh and the fact turbo engines arent that great for driftin with anyway. In a car the size of a RA6X you need something with ripper high revs.. and a 7MGTE with its long arse bore stroke aint going to cut it for you..
2L8IV1
Regular

March 2005

Re: 2JZGTE RA60 conversion Tue, 15 March 2005 05:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dont know but know your making me think poor brain Very Happy
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 2JZGTE RA60 conversion Tue, 15 March 2005 05:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a 1g would be easyest and most suited without doubt that's why i drive a ga63 but i still think with enough money this project is doable.
Celia-Sue
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 2JZGTE RA60 conversion Tue, 15 March 2005 05:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Ummmm .... how many turbos does a 1GGTE have again?

And has anyone ever tryed puting one in an RA60?

Wink
2L8IV1
Regular

March 2005

Re: 2JZGTE RA60 conversion Tue, 15 March 2005 05:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not sure how many turbos i think its just one and a 1GGTE has been done before
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: 2JZGTE RA60 conversion Tue, 15 March 2005 06:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2L8IV1 wrote on Tue, 15 March 2005 16:52

not sure how many turbos i think its just one and a 1GGTE has been done before

think you missed the sarcasm
2L8IV1
Regular

March 2005

Re: 2JZGTE RA60 conversion Tue, 15 March 2005 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i think i did but i missed that big massive reply from hamgatan i have allready seen a 1JGZTE engine in a RA40 so why wont a 2JGZTE engine fit in a RA60 I have been told by JMS in adelaide that it should fit, and there is nothing wrong with the RA60's looks i just wanna be different from other modifiers
ViPeR_NiPPleX
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: 2JZGTE RA60 conversion Tue, 15 March 2005 07:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nothing wrong with being differernt, just be prepared to pay for it.

For different I would try a 1MZ twin turbo jobbie.

Plus hamgatan, I love my ra60, and my ma61, to me neither look shit as such, just the ma61 looks better...
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: 2JZGTE RA60 conversion Tue, 15 March 2005 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JMS - THAT says it all! Danny is a crazy mofo who doesn't take a budget in mind when he builds a car. He lives only to defy the rules of what everyone says can't be done! What he did to that poor ADM R31, everyone said couldnt be done.. yet he blew Michael Nugarhyo's 12 second Rex away on Thebarton road without even breaking a sweat.. Denzo doesn't usually have a budget when he builds things. he just throws money at it without thinking..

the theory is you could put the 2JZ in, but leave 15-20k to do everything right (including suspension, brakes.. the lot). Ask Norbie how much hes spent and you'll shudder..
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: 2JZGTE RA60 conversion Tue, 15 March 2005 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
far out dude.
how old are you....16?
where are you getting the money for all this shit...2j conversion, 330mm rotors and calipers, coilovers, bodykit...

[Updated on: Tue, 15 March 2005 08:30]

draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 2JZGTE RA60 conversion Tue, 15 March 2005 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
of course it can be doneif you want 330mm brakes, you'll need to be looking at either a hub conversion (ms65) or simmons (like me - budget $2500 for some 17" simmons)
Then you'll realise that your RA60, with it's pissy little driveline, needs some work. so then you budget $1000 minimum for a 2jz-ge w58 gbox with clutch, flywheel, etc. then you look at your little single spinner diff, and budget $300 more to buy a ma61 LSD. then you notice your rear suspension sucks, so you need to go ra65 IRS or ma61. then you realise you need to get a radiator in there to cool that bitch, and that you dont really have that much room left with a long straight 6 engine in there, so you blow another $600 minimum on a nice 2-core rad to sit in front of the rad supports. then you need thermos, 'cause no way an engine fan is fitting in there.

And I've barely scraped the surface of what is required. for the conversion alone, paying someone else to do it so you have a drivable reliable car, I wouldn't be expecting change from $15k. that's not considering engineering, which apparently in SA is stupidly expensive.

Just remember dude, there's a reason why people like me sell their RA6x (I had an ra65) and buy an ma61 to put big 6-cyl engines in there.
But if you're dedicated to your ra60, and have $15-$20k lying around to spend on it, then by all means go for it.

and to give you an idea - I've spent $15k on my ma61, and that included dong a lot of the work myself, starting with a bigger engine bay.
2L8IV1
Regular

March 2005

Re: 2JZGTE RA60 conversion Tue, 15 March 2005 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
getting the money from my parents, and myself its gonna be a
4-5 year build up on the Engine, Gearbox, LSD, Turbo ect.
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 2JZGTE RA60 conversion Tue, 15 March 2005 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i still dont see it is legal...its only just legal in most places to put a 2jzge in. i doubt it will be anywhere near legal with 2 turbos hanging off of it
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2JZGTE RA60 conversion Tue, 15 March 2005 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.dvdcrave.com.au/images/products/11815.jpg
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 2JZGTE RA60 conversion Tue, 15 March 2005 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rob_RA40 wrote on Tue, 15 March 2005 15:38

how much do u have to spend?

2L8IV1 wrote on Tue, 15 March 2005 15:44

none at the moment as i lost my job......

Riiiight. Rolling Eyes
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2JZGTE RA60 conversion Tue, 15 March 2005 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LOL that's the first thing I thought when I spotted this thread.

Quit wasting everyone's time and come back when you have the means to even start a project like this. If and when that day comes I'll give you advice, but I'm willing to bet money that day will never come. Razz
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 2JZGTE RA60 conversion Tue, 15 March 2005 20:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

2L8IV1's Profile
Date Registered: March 15, 2005
Interests: Cars, Drifting, Draging, Sound Offs
Date Of Birth: October 04, 1988

Birthday says it all and no, I'm not commenting on the fact you're a Libra.

I see you have just turned 16. Have you considered that fitting a 2JZGTE to your sK8bRd (is that adequately misspelled enough?) is more likely to happen?
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 2JZGTE RA60 conversion Tue, 15 March 2005 20:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2L8IV1 wrote on Tue, 15 March 2005 20:17

getting the money from my parents, and myself its gonna be a
4-5 year build up on the Engine, Gearbox, LSD, Turbo ect.

Hmmm. I think this one can get assigned to the scrap heap for sure.

[sigh] to be 16 and foolish again and filled with big dreams.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 2JZGTE RA60 conversion Tue, 15 March 2005 22:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
as opposed to nearing 40 and foolish? Very Happy
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 2JZGTE RA60 conversion Tue, 15 March 2005 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Wed, 16 March 2005 08:33

as opposed to nearing 40 and foolish? Very Happy

Almost 40 , but generally with a little more money, and mostly heaps more common sense, but mainly experience.
2L8IV1
Regular

March 2005

Re: 2JZGTE RA60 conversion Wed, 16 March 2005 01:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey i was just looking for information on the projsect before i started it like how much and if it was possible thats all i wanted to know
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: 2JZGTE RA60 conversion Wed, 16 March 2005 01:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
to quote a stupid movie more than you can afford buddy
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 2JZGTE RA60 conversion Wed, 16 March 2005 01:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2L8IV1 wrote on Wed, 16 March 2005 11:43

hey i was just looking for information on the projsect before i started it like how much and if it was possible thats all i wanted to know

And you reckon that you didn't get that ?

Or maybe none of us chimed in and said " Great idea, should only cost $100 and be piss easy, I'll do it for $50, and by the way here is every shred of info that took me days of searching for you
Rolling Eyes
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 2JZGTE RA60 conversion Wed, 16 March 2005 07:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you got your answers
yes it's possible, and paying someone to do everything will cost you $15k bare minimum, and in the end you wont even be guaranteed to be able to register it.

Since you're 16 and all, I recommend tinker with the 21r-c for a while, or if you want to get even more into things get a fuel injected engine to tinker with.
Then when you have a few more years experience, both with driving and mechanically, go buy an ma61 and drop the 2j in it (if you're desperate for that shaped car) - which btw will work out cheaper than putting it in your current RA60, as the diff, gbox, engine bay and brakes can already take it.
We only ridicule as a gentle "we don't think you're capable of this"
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: 2JZGTE RA60 conversion Wed, 16 March 2005 07:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
feel the love Laughing
2L8IV1
Regular

March 2005

Re: 2JZGTE RA60 conversion Wed, 16 March 2005 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok well thanks for all your info i'll just screw around with the 21rc for now.
ViPeR_NiPPleX
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: 2JZGTE RA60 conversion Wed, 16 March 2005 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Put a 'race' cam in it, 45mm dcoe weber sidedraft carbies and some big fuggen extractors Laughing

ah, more seriously though, do some research on teh www.celica-gts.com forums, plenty of info on the 2xR motors, most things that apply to the 22R can work on the 21R.
2L8IV1
Regular

March 2005

Re: 2JZGTE RA60 conversion Wed, 16 March 2005 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok will do thanks for that
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 2JZGTE RA60 conversion Wed, 16 March 2005 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Put a 1GGE in it, more than enough poke to have fun with when you're learning, about the cheapest conversion you can do and you can learn something at the same time.
2L8IV1
Regular

March 2005

Re: 2JZGTE RA60 conversion Wed, 16 March 2005 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok i might just do that but is it an easy conversion?
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 2JZGTE RA60 conversion Wed, 16 March 2005 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
compared to a 2jz? piece of piss.

bear in mind any conversion will cost twice the money and three times the time you expect. the advantage of the 1g conversion is it's very well documented on this site, lots of guys have done it, everyhting about it is cheaper, and in a 1100kg ra60 you'll still have a car that can stomp most things on the road (and have major traction issues with a single spinner)
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: 2JZGTE RA60 conversion Wed, 16 March 2005 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I reckon its possible. Then again, i wouldnt want to do it. But if it came down to it.....

Seriously though, you are 16 with mummy or daddys money. I have one thing to say to that:

YOU'RE COOKED
2L8IV1
Regular

March 2005

Re: 2JZGTE RA60 conversion Thu, 17 March 2005 01:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its my dad and mums money but its also mine
And it doesent have a single spinner both spin
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 2JZGTE RA60 conversion Thu, 17 March 2005 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2L8IV1 wrote on Thu, 17 March 2005 09:07

I think you'll find that highly unlikely. There is no point to someone putting an LSD in a 21R-C equipped RA60.
Wezelton
Regular

July 2004
Re: 2JZGTE RA60 conversion Thu, 17 March 2005 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dude your a poof, if you had any idea how to work the forums, you might have a slight idea about your car.. you have come off very light, most of the people on here would just shut you down hard kid.. here is an idea for you if you think you can figure it out.. CA18DET into your RA60, easy enough to get done, you can use S13 coil overs up front with the brakes, S13 g/b, then just lock your diff.. taht shouldnt cost you too much, but its a lot of brain work.. good luck tug tug
wes
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: 2JZGTE RA60 conversion Thu, 17 March 2005 02:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2L8IV1 wrote on Thu, 17 March 2005 09:07

its my dad and mums money but its also mine

http://old.smcc.asn.au/chris/spam5.gif
Wezelton
Regular

July 2004
Re: 2JZGTE RA60 conversion Thu, 17 March 2005 02:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hahahah that was well dished out Laughing Laughing
ra23mad
Forums Junkie

September 2003

Re: 2JZGTE RA60 conversion Thu, 17 March 2005 03:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You guys need to be a little leaner on the bullshit, nastiness and sarcasm.

I know you all get tired of answering the same things over and over, and talking to people who are still in the planning stage of their project (or the dreaming stage), but that doesn't mean you should shout them down and possibly make them wonder why the fuck they bothered asking questions or wanting to modify their car.

I know for one - I've asked stupid questions - I'm not ashamed of that - how the fuck do you expect someone to learn?

It's all well and good - to jump on someone asking the same tired questions and point them to the appropriate 'search' button or to a thread that's all ready covered the info...but no need to criticise everything they do, nor their age.

If I'd started asking questions and thinking about things when I was 16 - I'd have a twin turbo ra23 by now...but alas I only started asking at 20 - and am still working out the details (while asking STUPID questions).

Perhaps the MODS / SITE adminstrators should post 'stickys' of common quesions / answers ... with that I'm off to post that suggestion where it is relevant.

/END RANT.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: 2JZGTE RA60 conversion Thu, 17 March 2005 03:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ra23mad wrote on Thu, 17 March 2005 14:18

Perhaps the MODS / SITE adminstrators should post 'stickys' of common quesions / answers ... with that I'm off to post that suggestion where it is relevant.

/END RANT.

They have. It gets ignored. Sure if it was a legitimate question, then fine. But all this BS about nothing..... its completely useless.
If people would learn to search, use the FAQ and not ask idiotic questions then we would ALL be generally happier. But instead 99% of people expect to leech off the 1% who actually do stuff.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 2JZGTE RA60 conversion Thu, 17 March 2005 04:23 Go to previous message
Ok i think this topic has gone far enough. It needs to go no further, so will be stopped in its tracks.

Sorry to all, but this just isnt constructive at all. The main points have already been raised and covered.

TOPIC LOCKED.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic
Previous Topic:4AGE Alternator
Next Topic:Triple Turbo ??????
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 3 22:21:26 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.010947942733765 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.